Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
If 50 MM from Fed Ex could get Memphis in the Big 12 it would have been done a long time ago. If you young guys think the board would be involved in such a small decision you need to come back in a few years and reassess. That is absolutely nothing at a corp that size. Half a**ed IT projects can cost that much.

If there is any sort of related party issue the board would have to sign off. Straight marketing? Not an issue. But you would have to fight the CMO over the $.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You guys want to kiss Texas' and Oklahoma's rear ends when all they can add right now is Cincinnati and UCF? We have leverage here.

Well, actually, we have no leverage. And asses need to be kissed.

But I don't think New Jersey is an inducement to schools in Texas and Oklahoma.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Finally someone admits it. The B1G schools draw kids from metro NY and send lots of alumni back. So do ACC schools. The Big XII does not. They don't really care about the NY market, and don't have a network anyway.

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
Finally someone admits it. The B1G schools draw kids from metro NY and send lots of alumni back. So do ACC schools. The Big XII does not. They don't really care about the NY market, and don't have a network anyway.

They'd like a network and more money. It is a matter of whether or not large market programs can help make that happen.

People just need to understand how big time UConn football will be with a great schedule. Games against ISU and Baylor at the Rent were awesome displays. Michigan was electric.

Reaction Score

Looking at 2016 high school recruits from New Jersey. Big Ten dominates and some ACC. I noticed one going to Texas. Perhaps, they could grab a couple more from Jersey if the Big 12 plays their cards right.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I wouldn't say that - a conference would have to be deranged not to be concerned with the markets they're in.

One of the future issues for the Big 12 is their small footprint. Every conference will eventually want/need their own network and a primary concern will be where that network can be sold. That's one of the reasons a school like Boise will never get any traction in realignment or why Houston might face an uphill climb to the Big 12 - they cement in place a problem that the Big 12 needs to solve.

But offering games in New Jersey as an inducement in 2017/18 or whenever? Nah. Doesn't do anything.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If there is any sort of related party issue the board would have to sign off. Straight marketing? Not an issue. But you would have to fight the CMO over the $.
There would almost definitely be issues regardless of how it was structured. A public company sponsoring a conference with the specific intent of gaining membership for one school, which happens to be the alma mater of the CEO, would definitely reach the board.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say that - a conference would have to be deranged not to be concerned with the markets they're in.

One of the future issues for the Big 12 is their small footprint. Every conference will eventually want/need their own network and a primary concern will be where that network can be sold. That's one of the reasons a school like Boise will never get any traction in realignment or why Houston might face an uphill climb to the Big 12 - they cement in place a problem that the Big 12 needs to solve.

But offering games in New Jersey as an inducement in 2017/18 or whenever? Nah. Doesn't do anything.
Would require Temple as another cornerstone to cover this area.

I think Philly fans might appreciate Big 12 football.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agree and I think the CT market is of value to them because they could truly capture it. I just don't think that they have any illusions that somehow UConn makes NYC "Big XII country". They have almost no other base of support there. Still, even CT (with Fairfield from NY DMA) would provide better markets than anybody else in the Big XII outside of Texas. But games in New Jersey add nothing to that, as you noted.

Reaction Score
There's no way UConn is going to agree to play freaking home games at Gilette or MetLife. Did the Big Ten ask Rutgers to play at MetLife or UMD to play at whatever that NFL stadium in Baltimore is called? No. God Almighty.

I'm not sure if The B1G asked or not but I had fun watching my Nittany Lions beat The Twerps at M & T Stadium this past season. Huge PSU Presence in the stadium that day.

Reaction Score

A real kick in,the nuts would be Temple and Cincinnati. Can't see it though. We are the premier AD, currently not in the P5. Great academics, solid market, great basketball.

Reaction Score

I agree with Fishy and HH here. I don't think offering Met Life does much as an inducement for The Big 12. If for some reason UT or OU were to request/require it for their first visits east UCONN would have to entertain it, but quite frankly I don't think either really would push for it.

Both UT and OU know that they have very little fan base living in the area to create demand for additional tickets, and both would likely bring the same numbers to The Rent as they could to Met Life. A sold out and rocking Rent looks a heck of a lot better on TV than a less than half full pro stadium.

Reaction Score

Then your thinking would be wrong. The only team from Texas that Philly Fans care about has a star on its helmet. The list of schools that can sell out a Temple Home Game is pretty short. Its PSU, ND, and because of proximity, MAYBE Rutgers. The first time Texas or Oklahoma comes to town you might get close to 50k in the stadium. The next time they visit or after Temple goes 4-8? You'll be lucky to get 35K. Schools like Baylor or OK State would resonate as much as SMU and Tulsa. The only conference that makes sense for Temple besides The AAC is The ACC. Regional opponents who can bring fans, and a focus on basketball.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Temple

Reaction Score
UConn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Temple

Agreed.

I think both should be in P5 Conferences, just neither one should be The B1G 12.

UCONN- B1G- Land Grant State School, strong academics with a research focus, well rounded and successful AD that can provide plenty of content for an established network, further consolidation of conference's claim on NYC, finally a historic power in one of the 2 key revenue sports.

Temple- ACC- Regional State School, Good academics, further penetration in the Northeast for potential ACC Network, solid AD with good basketball and improving football, made for TV rivalries with Pitt, Cuse, BC, VPI etc.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

I think both should be in P5 Conferences, just neither one should be The B1G 12.

UCONN- B1G- Land Grant State School, strong academics with a research focus, well rounded and successful AD that can provide plenty of content for an established network, further consolidation of conference's claim on NYC, finally a historic power in one of the 2 key revenue sports.

Temple- ACC- Regional State School, Good academics, further penetration in the Northeast for potential ACC Network, solid AD with good basketball and improving football, made for TV rivalries with Pitt, Cuse, BC, VPI etc.
If Temple makes it to the ACC, Bill Cosby will be forgotten. At least for Temple fans.

Reaction Score
With 50K+ Texas students each school year, very good academics, and excellent graduate programs, a much bigger number of UT alumni end up in the City, Tri-State, and northeast than some may expect. Not on par with some B1G schools and more than others, but a sh|tload of Texas Exes. As for OU and the rest of the Big XII, none have even remotely as many alumni in the northeast as UT.

Not that it really matters for UCONN, but alumni and fans of UT and OU from the region and beyond would buy a sh|tload of tickets at the Rent or elsewhere in the northeast. And now, back to our Huskies' gradual B1G invitation ... ;)

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Here is a little secret that seems to go unnoticed - Temple doesn't really have any fans. And Pennsylvania is spoken for already. If you're a conference and you're grabbing at the third best program in any state right now, you're not a P5 conference.

Temple is fortunate to be back in the AAC/Big East. They were a winner in realignment - this is their high water mark for good and forever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Companies that size give idiots like me amounts like that to do things. It's so little money when you report your annual earnings in multiple billions... throw in the corporate tax rate you avoid and it's even less.

Reaction Score
Here is a little secret that seems to go unnoticed - Temple doesn't really have any fans. And Pennsylvania is spoken for already. If you're a conference and you're grabbing at the third best program in any state right now, you're not a P5 conference.

Temple is fortunate to be back in the AAC/Big East. They were a winner in realignment - this is their high water mark for good and forever.
If the ACC is poached by multiple conferences, that would create an opening for Temple.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Companies that size give idiots like me amounts like that to do things. It's so little money when you report your annual earnings in multiple billions... throw in the corporate tax rate you avoid and it's even less.

That's not the point. The board had to sign off on the FedEx Field deal with the skins because he got equity and a board seat because of it. Not because of the $. No chance he can direct any significant amount of money to his alma mater without disclosure and sign off. Their lawyers aren't stupid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not the point. The board had to sign off on the FedEx Field deal with the skins because he got equity and a board seat because of it. Not because of the $. No chance he can direct any significant amount of money to his alma mater without disclosure and sign off. Their lawyers aren't stupid.

It's still automatic though - the board isn't going to say no.

Everyone takes their comp, pats each other on the back and then heads out to their next board meeting.

On the .01% chance they denied him he could cover it with the money between his couch cushions at home.

If Memphis could buy their way in it would have been done a long time ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can you get us into the Big 12 by offering them $50M? I mean it's pocket change an all so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom