Paul Mulcahy | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Paul Mulcahy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Into the 2000s Rip wore one too.

That’s interesting I never really thought about it. Would he have had an all encompassing no headband rule?

Reaction Score
Unless I’m remembering incorrectly Andre Drummond wore won when he had to wear that mask

Reaction Score
BAA1AF08-6F0B-455D-875C-9A21F001F26B.jpeg

Reaction Score
So maybe it was only allowed w/ a mask? I just remember thinking back in the day when the entire St. John's squad (Artest, Barkley era) was wearing headbands that we did not have one.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
So maybe it was only allowed w/ a mask? I just remember thinking back in the day when the entire St. John's squad (Artest, Barkley era) was wearing headbands that we did not have one.
Right, during an era where headbands were in style.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
  1. gmeloro‏ @gmeloro Apr 16
  2. Reasons to go to RU: 1)Coach Pikiell & great assistants, 2)the RAC is loud, 3)Jersey kids play in front of friends/family, & 4)Rutgers MMB going to blow up. Come be part of something special.
Igor the bot‏ @Weneedlasers
Replying to @gmeloro @paulmulcahy_3 and
Reason to go to UCONN: 1)Hurley and Calhoun on staff.
1f1ee-1f1ea.png
2) National brand identity, 4 recent national championships 3) 9 current players in the NBA 4) Brand new state of the art facilities 5) A guard oriented/dominant system with immediate playing time

_____
Plus, if I recall correctly all of the great UConn players who went on the NBA actually count for Rutgers, for reasons I don't entirely understand.

Reaction Score
Once Jeered, Headbands Now Scoring Style Points
“Robinson said he wanted to wear a headband when he played at Connecticut, but his coach, Jim Calhoun, would not allow it.”

I wish there was more rules thrown in like JC with the headbands. Wish the whole team wore the same sneakers at least, have a vote and find a middle ground looks so much better. I am old huh? When I was at Maloney in the 70's we all wore Chuck Taylors for my first 3 years then as captain I went to coach and asked for a change. It was hit with the old school approach but we then went in as a team because we wanted the Adidas clam shell toe (lol dating myself) and they caved, we thought we just made a fashion statement in the Colonial League but you know what, it was a team thing. I know having the same sneaks mean very little more than likely these days but I think if it looks good together than it is more of a team thing.

Reaction Score
  2. Reasons to go to RU: 1)Coach Pikiell & great assistants, 2)the RAC is loud, 3)Jersey kids play in front of friends/family, & 4)Rutgers MMB going to blow up. Come be part of something special.
1f1ee-1f1ea.png
2) National brand identity, 4 recent national championships 3) 9 current players in the NBA 4) Brand new state of the art facilities 5) A guard oriented/dominant system with immediate playing time

_____
Plus, if I recall correctly all of the great UConn players who went on the NBA actually count for Rutgers, for reasons I don't entirely understand.

R u Igor?

Reaction Score
1f1ee-1f1ea.png

_____

Tweeting at recruits really is cringe

Reaction Score
Tweeting at recruits really is cringe
It depends on what you tweet and how old you are lol. I’ve tweeted “UConn!” Or “#HuskyNation” before. I think thats fine. But full blown letters begging them to choose your school and criticizing them if they don’t is indeed strange

Reaction Score
It depends on what you tweet and how old you are lol. I’ve tweeted “UConn!” Or “#HuskyNation” before. I think thats fine. But full blown letters begging them to choose your school and criticizing them if they don’t is indeed strange

Ignoring that it is a compliance issue then sure the former is rather harmless (I don't think anyone is getting chased down for this but UConn Compliance has addressed this on Twitter previously).

To me personally even the small stuff seems off as I assume some folks well beyond their college years are in some way, even if minor, trying to pressure a 16, 17 or 18 year old on their college decision that will have a significant impact on their future.

Reaction Score
Ignoring that it is a compliance issue then sure the former is rather harmless (I don't think anyone is getting chased down for this but UConn Compliance has addressed this on Twitter previously).

To me personally even the small stuff seems off as I assume some folks well beyond their college years are in some way, even if minor, trying to pressure a 16, 17 or 18 year old on their college decision that will have a significant impact on their future.

Many recruits like to be interacted with. They're trying to get famous.

Nobody likes to be badgered. Period.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wish there was more rules thrown in like JC with the headbands. Wish the whole team wore the same sneakers at least, have a vote and find a middle ground looks so much better. I am old huh? When I was at Maloney in the 70's we all wore Chuck Taylors for my first 3 years then as captain I went to coach and asked for a change. It was hit with the old school approach but we then went in as a team because we wanted the Adidas clam shell toe (lol dating myself) and they caved, we thought we just made a fashion statement in the Colonial League but you know what, it was a team thing. I know having the same sneaks mean very little more than likely these days but I think if it looks good together than it is more of a team thing.

Imo I'd rather have whatever shoes make guys comfortable. Everybody's feet are different. Just want them to play as well as possible. Looks are secondary.

Reaction Score
Imo I'd rather have whatever shoes make guys comfortable. Everybody's feet are different. Just want them to play as well as possible. Looks are secondary.

Yeah I know things have changed no doubt... no expectations here since now there are so many offerings compared to Neanderthal years like me.;)

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Yeah I know things have changed no doubt... no expectations here since now there are so many offerings compared to Neanderthal years like me.;)
It must have drove Jim Calhoun crazy watching Uconn play for the past few years, besides not being competitive, If he wanted uniformity to the point where no one could wear headbands when he was coaching. They were all wearing various arm sleeves, leg sleeves, etc.

Reaction Score

How can it be a compliance issue? Twitter is a public platform. If a private citizen tweets something, it has nothing to do with the school. That being said, I also think it is pretty tacky. I don't have twitter. Also no facebook. Only instagram, and that is work related.

Reaction Score
It must have drove Jim Calhoun crazy watching Uconn play for the past few years, besides not being competitive, If he wanted uniformity to the point where no one could wear headbands when he was coaching. They were all wearing various arm sleeves, leg sleeves, etc.

Shooters need sleeves. We had lots of shooters...

Reaction Score
Once Jeered, Headbands Now Scoring Style Points
“Robinson said he wanted to wear a headband when he played at Connecticut, but his coach, Jim Calhoun, would not allow it.”
Aren't head bands more about keeping sweat out of your eyes? I didn't know it was for fashion. When I was young, crazy hairdos were absolutely not allowed. Now it's like " top this ". Personally I don't care, as long as we win.

Reaction Score
How can it be a compliance issue? Twitter is a public platform. If a private citizen tweets something, it has nothing to do with the school. That being said, I also think it is pretty tacky. I don't have twitter. Also no facebook. Only instagram, and that is work related.
It basically boils down to buying tickets makes you a donor to the program, and you'd have to abide by all the compliance guidelines

Reaction Score

I'm not compliance so I'm just guessing but I don't think the forum itself is the issue, it's that boosters of a university are trying to sway a kid to come to their school. There's language here on the NCAA site that discusses this.

Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm not compliance so I'm just guessing but I don't think the forum itself is the issue, it's that boosters of a university are trying to sway a kid to come to their school. There's language here on the NCAA site that discusses this.

Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.
A Kentucky fan got on his knees and begged nerlens to go to Kentucky. I can only imagine what else they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom