pathetic display of fans when Uconn didn't convert 4th down late | Page 3 | The Boneyard

pathetic display of fans when Uconn didn't convert 4th down late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Fans co do as they please. But it has to be deflating to our team when they see half the stadium empty out with 8 minutes to go and only down 1 score. I think DJ Hernandez addressed this many years ago after the Pitt game (that he hurled the game winner into the parking lots), as in "we couldn't understand why the fans were leaving in a close game?" kind of way. For college players that play best when there is energy inside the stadium, it has to be deflating to see a half empty student section and stadium with 8 to play down 21-13.

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as beating traffic, I will stay the entire game no matter what the score is rain sleet or snow. Of course I want Uconn to win, but if I paid that ticket I will make the most of it. I don't put myself on a time schedule. No one is telling anyone what to do don't know why people are getting all defensive about it, were just stating our opinions.

Reaction Score
Yea, but I still don't get why people leave when they do. When the first mass exodus occurred, it was still a one possession game and there still was a lot of time on the clock. It's not like it would have taken an all time classic comeback to win. People who leave at halftime because all they really care about is tailgating, I get that. Leaving once the lead went up to 15, sure, it would have taken something special to comeback at that point. But down 8 in the 4th, it doesn't make sense to me. Not saying they should stay out of some duty to UConn athletics, I just don't get trying to beat traffic, over potentially seeing an exciting ending.

Thats why you tailgate before the game, and I even tailgate some afterwards while I wait for traffic to clear and until I'm told to pack it up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe some fans just don't want to sit in a windy stadium where even a bottle of water or a coffee costs five dollars, while they get thirsty and cold yelling for a team that seems unprepared for common game situations week after week, and lets easy opportunities slip away. Maybe it's annoying to the point where they figure they could do something else for the next 45 minutes, 90 minutes, whatever, and buy a cup of coffee and something to eat that won't cost a combined $12 (for zero nutritional value), instead of just passively sitting by and listen to an obnoxious, repetitive PA system shove various forms of propaganda down their throats, while they start to feel helpless and obligated to endure a lousy experience that will taint the rest of their day.
Wow. Give your tickets to a member of the armed forces or the Boys/Girls Club next time. Then you'll be spared the inconvenience of being a fan.

Reaction Score
26,113 - nova
28,260 - army (+2147)
33,204 - navy (+4,944) !!
31,719 - USF (-1,485) :(

27,187 avg as of 9/12/2015
29,192 avg as of 9/26/2015 (+2,005)
29,824 avg as of 10/17/2015 (+632)
Navy brought a band and thousands of fans. Usf brought maybe 200 fans. It was no nice having P&W in that upper visitor section vs Nova and the high school bands vs Army. Maybe there will finally be people sitting next year. Unfortunately they'll be wearing orange. Cuse and UVA variety.

Reaction Score
Then UCONN football will never get to the next level. You want to know why we don't get invited to the B1G. Look in the mirror.

Fans keep doing this.. Ohio State ain't coming any time soon.

Again, this happens at B1G schools. That some people think that this is holding us back from getting a P5 invite is just absurd.

Do we need to link to stories about both Michigan B1G schools having this same issue? Fans at RU and MD stay the whole game?

Reaction Score
Dude, you can use the word 'sanctimonious ' another 30 times... People streaming out with 5 minutes left down one score sucks.

Attack me and my observations all out want. I have yet to hear why you disagree.

I used that word because that's what you're being.

Look nobody thinks it's ideal to leave early. But there's no need to call out paying customers like that. Only 25k of CT's millions of residents turned out for the game. They are not the problem. Very unbecoming when the "super fans" b!tch and moan about other fans not living up to their standards. It's kinda douchey.

Reaction Score
Under your definition of questionable fan behavior. But I don't subscribe to that narrow definition, nor do I think it's that black and white.
I think fans booing college players is questionable as well (at the college level).

You can make an argument for booing. Not sure what that has to do with leaving though.

Reaction Score
And you should calm down, too. It's a football game.
First, I'm very calm. Secondly, it's more than a football game. It's more than even a football program at the school I love. What happens in those seats affects a lot more than the morale of the team that day. It tells a story about our commitment at a time when an all-in attitude is a must. There are lots of dollars on the line. I had Susan Herbst at our tailgate yesterday. She's super committed to raising the profile of this school to levels not even considered before she arrived. Part of that is where we compete. Fans (and donors) are critical to those efforts. This entitlement attitude toward leaving early must be reversed. I say buying a ticket grants no one the early exit option. We have an obligation to be there when it counts the most. That time is now.

Reaction Score
Spare me that entitled crap. Players, coaches, and marching band members put in long hours of sweat and preparation to play on game day for this University and its fans. People who leave while a game still has some semblance of doubt about its outcome, if not due to emergency or exigency of circumstances, are boorish, ungrateful and disrespectful. They are fans under only the most marginal of definitions.
Yeah how disrespectful of the fans to throw money at the program. How dare they exercise their right as a human to make their own decisions. Stop being such a hardo.

Reaction Score
Then UCONN football will never get to the next level. You want to know why we don't get invited to the B1G. Look in the mirror.

Louis-CK-Saying-Nope.gif

Reaction Score
First, I'm very calm. Secondly, it's more than a football game. It's more than even a football program at the school I love. What happens in those seats affects a lot more than the morale of the team that day. It tells a story about our commitment at a time when an all-in attitude is a must. There are lots of dollars on the line. I had Susan Herbst at our tailgate yesterday. She's super committed to raising the profile of this school to levels not even considered before she arrived. Part of that is where we compete. Fans (and donors) are critical to those efforts. This entitlement attitude toward leaving early must be reversed. I say buying a ticket grants no one the early exit option. We have an obligation to be there when it counts the most. That time is now.
People that expect a great dedicated fan base for a losing team confuse me. You're putting the cart before the horse. I think it's a good thing that people are still showing up at all after all these losing seasons

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I love President Herbst.

12143166_887867421262031_3616486742422167614_n.jpg

Reaction Score
it was a mass exodus with uconn down 1 score. all they needed was a stop and uconn was right in back in it. granted, USF scored in 3 plays but was really disappointed to see people leave while uconn was still in the game.
I hoping you were in your seat at kickoff, Marty.

Reaction Score

Next level? B1G? Ohio State? We are around the 10th best team in the AAC right now. Perhaps we should try to get to the next level in this conference that our fans keep dissing as not good enough for us. We are about to have our 5th losing season. I could care less about the Big 10 right now and am concerned about more pressing matters like our on field execution, game management, football IQ and one day getting this program into the upper half of a rapidly improving AAC and to a bowl game.

I would bet most of the fans on here hyper focused on attendance are the ones who live on the conference realignment board and think there's some invitation from the Big 10 just waiting for us around the corner. And all we need to do is buy tickets and we are in! Sure. Everything is brought back to the B1G around here and the fans are always the scapegoat for why we are not in that league or why we won't ever get into it. As if the product UConn has put on the field the last 5 years is not the chief reason. The simple fact is the fans that did show up yesterday were treated to the team squandering about 20 first half points mostly due to our own mistakes. Forgive me if I don't condemn them too much for not having the faith or dedication to stick it out to the end.

And for the record, the year Pitt and Syracuse were invited to the ACC, I would turn on one of their home games and their stadiums were a half empty morgue. Having a fickle fan base is not a deal breaker. And if you think it is, than the only solution is to improve the product (we are in the process of doing that) and winning games. Despite the non stop dreams of some people here for the B1G in the next couple years, it will not be easy getting to 6 wins in the current state of the AAC. I'll worry about the fan base and the B1G when we get to that point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hoping you were in your seat at kickoff, Marty.
Technically no. We sat in the row in front of our seats because someone was in ours. With about 8 minutes left in the half, some people showed up and said we were in their seats. Funny because there was open seating all around us.

I think those people left at half and never came back.

Reaction Score
As fans we have to start acting like a real college football program. Not that hard.
You can make an argument for booing. Not sure what that has to do with leaving though.
i think they both have a negative impact on the players.
Team needs a big defensive stand, the d-lineman is waving his arms to excite the crowd, only to look up and see a mass exodus.

Reaction Score
i think they both have a negative impact on the players.
Team needs a big defensive stand, the d-lineman is waving his arms to excite the crowd, only to look up and see a mass exodus.

That's just silly. Booing the players is a verbal assault. Electing not to stay in the stadium is not.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I know, I just don't believe it. That was the lightest 31K crowd I've ever seen.
That's because 5k or so were milling around underneath consistently. A nice to have at The Rent(sight lines from everywhere) but also can make it look worse than it really is.

Reaction Score
That's because 5k or so were milling around underneath consistently. A nice to have at The Rent(sight lines from everywhere) but also can make it look worse than it really is.
Always tough too look full with the open concourse. The XL Center has the similar issue now with the bar.

Reaction Score
The sunny side of as muchbmore filled than the shady side. Remember it was 31000. That's only 75% of capacity. 25% was empty. A lot of fans were under the scoreboard.

Reaction Score
There's a constant wind that blows west-to-east on the press box side. That plus the shade makes it uncomfortable on cold days. If people aren't dressed warmly (especially casual fans) they won't hang around there, so maybe it looked emptier.

To the OP, my guess is people left during a 1-score game out of frustration. UConn had so many opportunities in USF territory to cash in and squandered them. And when you see the opponent zip down the field and score on 2-3 plays, it's downright maddening.

At least 31K showed up - that's about all you can ask for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom