pathetic display of fans when Uconn didn't convert 4th down late | Page 4 | The Boneyard

pathetic display of fans when Uconn didn't convert 4th down late

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm guessing they leave when they no longer want to watch.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
They leave to go continue to drink out in the lots. People were leaving before half time for pete's sake. Too many were not even paying any attention in side the stadium. It's become too much of a social gathering to drink.

Don't get me wrong.....I drink my share of beers...before the game and during the game in my seat as I am watching the game.

To each his/her own I suppose.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ UConn will never be a football school. Way too much here (including history; yes, Yale, too) compared to, say, Nebraska.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I beg to differ UConn will never be a football school. Way too much here (including history; yes, Yale, too) compared to, say, Nebraska.
Just to clarify, are you differing that UConn will or will not be a football school?

Reaction Score
As for me, why pay for tickets and deprive yourself of the full game. First, you never know what might happen and sometimes out of the blue a little magic happens. Second, the kids are still on the field and I think they deserve the support. The are still out there getting banged and nicked up for no other reason than for pride.

Reaction Score
That's because 5k or so were milling around underneath consistently. A nice to have at The Rent(sight lines from everywhere) but also can make it look worse than it really is.

One of the biggest design flaws of The Rent. Folks need to be in their seats. In a redesign I would add seats and close off the concourse nooks and crannies.

Reaction Score
One of the biggest design flaws of The Rent. Folks need to be in their seats. In a redesign I would add seats and close off the concourse nooks and crannies.

It is honestly beyond my comprehension that some people, for whatever reason, prefer standing in the concourse to being in their seats and you and some others actually want them to be prevented from doing so. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if people buy tickets and want to stand and you don't have anything better to do than complain about how and where they watch, I don't get it.

Reaction Score
The realty is that we only have about 5,000 to 10,000 hard core fans at our games. Those are the ones that stay until there is no humanly possible way we could win the game. Most of them are probably on the boneyard too. The rest are causal fans or people who could care less about the game but are there to enjoy the festivities.

we will see how many hard core fans are left standing halftime vs Houston..

Reaction Score
No the fans are not the enemy, but when you bring a fan that goes to OSU games and they see people come in mid way though the first quarter and then leave in the early fourth quarter it shows how far UConn fans need to go. It doesn't happen at football schools, but happens all to often here. Just looks bad to to others who consider UConn small time.
Not to get on the wrong side of you, but until UConn improves and we can rank higher than three digits...we are small time? ECU which sells out most of their games is small time? Until we win and can dominate a lousy conference, we are small time, whether the fans show up, stay late, or neither really doesn't matter. I think most people complaining about our fans is because they view this is as the one thing we can control...Well guess what, no "we" can't, when the price of admission is considered a bargain, we have turned a corner, right now, admission to the game is not worth the football. I go to games not to brag about me being there or because I think my one extra body is all the difference, I go because I expect to see improvement in the years to come. Until I see that, well - I'll just keep hoping and reminiscing about when we were BIG Time!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I say TARP the upper sections next year like Oakland Raiders do...

make the tickets scarce

Drive demand

:oops:

Reaction Score
They poured out of Lucas Oil Stadium last night also, even though the Colts were driving and got it to one score. At the time of the failed onside kick there might have been 20K left.

It isn't just a UCONN problem.

Reaction Score
We look like losers. Bad image for the program that's trying to change it.

I urge many of you to go to another big-time venue. I have been to a dozen or so. including MI. You will see how real fans act. The thread is correct. Pathetic display.

We keep doing the same old, then we will stay small time in the eyes of most.

Reaction Score
I was one of those people. But to be fair, I had a wedding to attend at 4:00p in Hartford and was proud I'd even made it to 3/4 of the game, giving myself comically little time to quickly change in a hotel room and show up as the most disheveled/buzzed wedding attendee ever.

To be fair, I felt like a pretty big schmuck walking out of the stadium and secretly loathed everyone else who (I assume) had worse excuses.

Reaction Score
I was one of those people. But to be fair, I had a wedding to attend at 4:00p in Hartford and was proud I'd even made it to 3/4 of the game, giving myself comically little time to quickly change in a hotel room and show up as the most disheveled/buzzed wedding attendee ever.

To be fair, I felt like a pretty big schmuck walking out of the stadium and secretly loathed everyone else who (I assume) had worse excuses.
I get it. People have to leave and some make special effort even though inconvenient. Applauded. Kudos to you. Hard to digest the rest.

Reaction Score
We look like losers. Bad image for the program that's trying to change it.

I urge many of you to go to another big-time venue. I have been to a dozen or so. including MI. You will see how real fans act. The thread is correct. Pathetic display.

We keep doing the same old, then we will stay small time in the eyes of most.

Just stop it. You don't know what the heck you are talking about here. You couldn't possibly be more wrong. I guarantee you that I've been to more big time venues than you have. I'll compare lists with you if you'd like. This happens almost EVERYWHERE.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't know that I'd use the word pathetic, but I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with rich1122, this not being the Cesspool. Yes, people can leave whenever they want, but I think very few knowledgeable fans clear out being one score down and like six minutes left. not to mention that although a little chilly, it was a decent day and an entertaining game. As it turned out, there was a lot of late action, both teams scoring and UConn being a recovered on side kick away from making it very interesting. Our fan base has a long way to go. I'm not sure if or when we'll compare to the Michigans of the world, where I've also been a few times. where a bunch of tailgating starts the night before, the huge stadium is filled early and packed tight and people just don't leave early in any noticeable way in a game where the team is behind but still has a reasonable chance to come back. Too often, UConn fans seem to care more about beating the traffic than anything else.

Reaction Score
Our crew stays. . But perhaps if this team could pull one out in the 4th the more casual fan would as well. We've been watching this movie for five years running now. We get down in the fourth and the game is over. Until the team rewrites the script people will continue to leave early. More disturbing was the empty seats today. No way there were 31k in the stands. No way

Full disclaimer - I left early to see my son's HS football game - and it was long before the supposed exodus.

For those doubting the 31K, you need to get out of your seat and walk the concourses during the game. My son and I left mid 3rd quarter and the concourse was packed - you'd have thought it was half. There may have been 25-27 in the seats, but there were plenty buying and drinking beer underneath.

Reaction Score
I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if people buy tickets and want to stand and you don't have anything better to do than complain about how and where they watch, I don't get it.
Because perception matters. Stadiums with traditional tunnels and people in their seats appear fuller than those with open concourses for the wandering hordes. They generate more stadium noise to support the defense and make a much better impression to a TV audience. I can understand how people may want to stand given the opportunity. I simply want to eliminate the stadium design elements that allow them to do it. It was a big mistake--one admitted by the project manager in retrospect--and if I could change one non-football performance item it would be to change the stadium design.

Reaction Score
Because perception matters. Stadiums with traditional tunnels and people in their seats appear fuller than those with open concourses for the wandering hordes. They generate more stadium noise to support the defense and make a much better impression to a TV audience. I can understand how people may want to stand given the opportunity. I simply want to eliminate the stadium design elements that allow them to do it. It was a big mistake--one admitted by the project manager in retrospect--and if I could change one non-football performance item it would be to change the stadium design.
Heaven forbid someone actually stand in the bleachers though am I right??

Reaction Score

You honest to God believe that is one of the culprits for us getting stuck in realignment hades?

You don't think this happened at Rutgers, MD, Ville, or TCU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom