Parker off Olympic team? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CHEMISTRY=code word for (1) players who attended the same school and therefore know each other or (2) have played together a lot. Good excuse to avoid people you don't like or new blood or both. So we'll have good chemistry, much of which is coagulated old blood. Shame. I hope they fix this before 2020 or the US might get to play a VERY good NIGERIAN team.
Chemistry = What the Knicks have been missing for the last five years.:eek::cool:
Chemistry = What the USA Men's team had an issue with until coach K and the new regime actually decided to go for a team concept instead of a star concept.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I have a question for everyone posting here - and I have no idea if this is the case or not, but ...

If the final choice came down to Parker or Catchings who would you choose?

And as a follow up, would the fallout of not taking Catchings be less or greater than not taking Parker?

(My choice - Parker over Catchings, but I think the fallout would be greater especially in the middle of Catchings farewell tour through the WNBA)
Parker;
I also think Augustus, McCaughtry and Fowles aren't as strong as other players being considered. Not to mention the age of the guards in general. I love(d) lots of them but they really need to step aside for the new guard(s), literally.

On the farewell tour, we know that Kobe Bryant was selected to the All-Star team but that's an annual event. To make people wait another 4 years is unfair. Unfortunately it makes the whole selection process look biased and really begs the question of switching to a non-college coach.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Chemistry = What the Knicks have been missing for the last five years.:eek::cool:
Chemistry = What the USA Men's team had an issue with until coach K and the new regime actually decided to go for a team concept instead of a star concept.
You're talking about my Knicks now so beware. The truth is they've been missing chemistry and knowledgeable ownership since Ewing missed that finger roll. At least be accurate.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
By the way as far as I know Ewing never tried another finger roll in his entire pro career. Good thing he missed that one huh?

Reaction Score
Not entirely shocked that Parker was judged as the weak link. Despite her enormous talent, she didn't seem to sit comfortably in her role on the team in 2012. Despite all the talk about how Angel has a difficult attitude, she seemed to embrace her role better than Candace did.

Still, I would have wished for a youthful guard in there somewhere. At least the frontcourt on the current team covers a variety of ages, so it's well prepared for the future. The guards are very old by comparison.

I'm not sure who you take out to make room for a younger guard. Heck, maybe even Stewart; she'd have likely been a shoo-in for 2020, barring injuries, anyway.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Ever notice how often the number of entries (and the degree of passion in them) is inversely proportional to the amount of factual information available? Conversation-- like nature-- abhors a vacuum?:D

Reaction Score
Not entirely shocked that Parker was judged as the weak link. Despite her enormous talent, she didn't seem to sit comfortably in her role on the team in 2012. Despite all the talk about how Angel has a difficult attitude, she seemed to embrace her role better than Candace did.

She wasn't happy about no starting but she she played well enough in 2012 and played well enough thereafter as the poster tennparker said -- "Geno said Candace and Maya were at another level at the previous camp."

I agree Angel's attidue is overblown. She just isn't as good as Parker. To leave one of the greatest players off the team who can play any style and play in any manner "she isn't a fit" is ridiculous.

Two players imo no business to have over Parker are Angel and Fowles. To suggest that Tina can't slide down to backup center for teams that rebound well and have size and all of our other great forwards can't compete on the glass imo is far-fetched.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Still, I would have wished for a youthful guard in there somewhere. At least the frontcourt on the current team covers a variety of ages, so it's well prepared for the future. The guards are very old by comparison.

I'm not sure who you take out to make room for a younger guard. Heck, maybe even Stewart; she'd have likely been a shoo-in for 2020, barring injuries, anyway.
Why not keep Bird off for Sims, Diggins, Robinson or Sloot

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very strange. Hard to imagine what their thinking is. I had Parker as a lock. Unless they decided it came down to Catchings or Parker and they went with the experience/loyalty. I like the "rumored" team, but I'd have liked it better with Parker on it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Very strange. Hard to imagine what their thinking is. I had Parker as a lock. Unless they decided it came down to Catchings or Parker and they went with the experience/loyalty. I like the "rumored" team, but I'd have liked it better with Parker on it.
Everyone had her as a lock.

What are you talking about, "Parker was judged as the weak link."? Candace Parker has been one of the top 3 Women's basketball players in the world for almost a decade now!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey this committee isn't stupid. They know how good Parker is and what she can do. It is obvious to me that there is something we don't know and may never know as to why she was left off the roster. Something happened or there is some wrong that we don't know about. Lets see what happens over the next few months. It can only be kept a secret for so long.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
don't know about Robinson or Sloot, but, my understanding is that Diggins and Sims have had health issues that make their availability limited.

As an ND fan, I get -- and understand --that Diggins was a huge question mark this year, given that she was coming off an injury. Hopefully, she'll come back from the ACL and pick up where she was starting to go.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, if Ms. Parker is not on this team, that will certainly be the topic of conversation for quite some time. I remember the prognostications on threads from the camp in February and the vast majority had her as a mainstay. And I'm one of those. She has the innate ability to take over a game when need be, whether in a "team setting" and/or an individual basis. It's good...really good... to have a weapon like that at your disposal.
So, it will be interesting to hear what's up...it will come out at some point.

I'm not going to get into the roster that was posted earlier in the thread because the official deal is coming out tomorrow. Too much conjecture. If it holds up, however, I recall Geno's comments in February that it was good to get a look at the younger guards at camp "for the future." Those words would seem awfully prescient at this point....stay tuned.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
don't know about Robinson or Sloot, but, my understanding is that Diggins and Sims have had health issues that make their availability limited.

D-Rob tore her Achilles overseas and just had surgery in March to fix it. She's out for quite a while. No health concerns with Sloot, though - she has been playing overseas in Turkey.

Reaction Score
Hey this committee isn't stupid. They know how good Parker is and what she can do. It is obvious to me that there is something we don't know and may never know as to why she was left off the roster. Something happened or there is some wrong that we don't know about. Lets see what happens over the next few months. It can only be kept a secret for so long.
Thanks Tony. That's what I tried to say last nite, only you said it much better!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I understand that this will bring hoots of derision...but here goes:

Stevie is the #1 player in the country, the #1 pick and a likely Olympian.

The #2 pick, also a competitor of some merit, didn't get a smidgen of interest... despite the fact that the absence of a quick, healthy point, with youth is a big liability on this team.

I understand the liability side: no experience at this level, probably better to let her game mature in the W and abroad.

But its very possible, even likely, that Moriah will tear up the league, just as she had done as a collegiate and be the direct replacement for Sue for the next 2 or 3 Olympics...

just saying...:)

Reaction Score
I hate that this is turning into Stewie vs. Parker. IMO both were deserving. What I can't see is a cut line that includes Angel and not Parker.

I would take Parker over Angel. Who's more selfish with the ball?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why not keep Bird off for Sims, Diggins, Robinson or Sloot
Skylar Diggins tore her ACL last year and per her recent comments may not be fully healed..

“I think you’ve just got to listen to your body,” Diggins said. “For me, coming off my rookie year, I wanted to spend as much time as I could on the floor, getting familiar with coach Fred and his system. And fortunately, he trusts me. It’s not only him not wanting to take my out, but me not wanting to come out.

“But I do not want to go backwards with my knee, so I really need to listen to my body. My knee has a mind of it’s own. But I’m confident with where I’m at right now, and better ever day. As far as a number in my mind, you don’t want to ask me. I’m a competitor
.”

Odyssey Sims hurt her knee last year as well; I'm not sure if she's completely recovered.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Because Bird is still better?

Statistically, it's very hard to make the case for that. They are clearly valuing her experience and leadership very highly, maybe also giving her points for loyalty. I understand wanting a pass-first player, but Vandersloot also fits that description and has out-performed Bird in the last couple WNBA seasons (though she has had much more talent around her).

My thought is that they don't see Sloot as part of their long term plans (she'll be 31 in 2020) so might as well give Bird one last hurrah and then start fresh with a new guard group in 2018.

I also think they are keeping the Bird's spot warm for Jefferson, but that Jefferson isn't ready yet.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about, "Parker was judged as the weak link."? Candace Parker has been one of the top 3 Women's basketball players in the world for almost a decade now!

The last part of the sentence I neglected to put out was "...for this Olympic team." Unless some extenuating circumstances come out not related to her basketball, the fact that she was left off the team makes my statement self-evident*.

Her rank among the world's basketball talents, in which I basically agree with your assessment, is a separate discussion. I think the committee and/or Geno went for perceived fit over talent for Parker. Will that prove to be the correct choice? It's debatable, yeah. But I still feel more concerned about the lack of young guards than the lack of Parker.

*: Edit: my opinion also assumes that the roster is confirmed as listed - still not quite official yet, is it?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She wasn't happy about no starting but she she played well enough in 2012 and played well enough thereafter as the poster tennparker said -- "Geno said Candace and Maya were at another level at the previous camp."

I agree Angel's attidue is overblown. She just isn't as good as Parker. To leave one of the greatest players off the team who can play any style and play in any manner "she isn't a fit" is ridiculous.

Two players imo no business to have over Parker are Angel and Fowles. To suggest that Tina can't slide down to backup center for teams that rebound well and have size and all of our other great forwards can't compete on the glass imo is far-fetched.

I think that Tina can absolutely play backup center. I think they likely wanted 3 centers. Fowles is a great rebounder and defender. Her weakness is that she is a ball-stopper on offense and can only score in the low post. In a situation where all you need her to do is come in off the bench and protect the paint and gobble up rebounds, she is perfect. She was huge for the Lynx in the playoffs and with her Lynx experience she now should have chemistry with Moore, Whalen, and Augustus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom