Parker off Olympic team? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm really sickened by this whole Parker thing because, as others have pointed out, the optics just aren't good and it gives fuel to those who want to attribute the decision to "politics" or UConn-centrism.

I'm also torn because on the one hand we all so badly want -- and need -- some rational explanation for a decision that goes so strongly against expectation, but on the other hand I recognize that's unlikely to happen because just about any honest explanation would come across as airing negativity about the person who was left off the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm really sickened by this whole Parker thing because, as others have pointed out, the optics just aren't good and it gives fuel to those who want to attribute the decision to "politics" or UConn-centrism.

I'm also torn because on the one hand we all want -- and need -- some explanation for a decision that goes so strongly against expectation, but on the other hand I recognize that's unlikely to happen because just about any honest explanation would come across as airing negativity about the person who was left off the team.
The negativity, UCONN bias & politics are already out there. My respect ( at least a little bit of it) will go to the person(s) who own it.

Reaction Score
this is just awful. huge, huge mistake that puts a dark cloud over the whole team. there's no way half of them are picked over parker. she is one of the top 5 players in the WORLD. absurdity.....a PR mess for Geno and USA basketball. it will only feed the notion that players are selected out of favoritism. I would also that Parker carried the team for a couple of huge games last time. she was a huge asset to the game.

Reaction Score
Who cares what Tina Thompson thinks? I know she was a good player, but in my opinion was one of the most overrated. The goal is to win a Gold Medal, which Team USA should accomplish. I get that people like to debate about who deserves to be on the team, etc, but let's keep our eye on the ball. Yes, Parker is good enough to be on it. If it were me, knowing EDD and Stewie (and others) provide length, I'd probably drop Fowles, but that's just me.

Reaction Score
I think that Tina can absolutely play backup center. I think they likely wanted 3 centers. Fowles is a great rebounder and defender. Her weakness is that she is a ball-stopper on offense and can only score in the low post. In a situation where all you need her to do is come in off the bench and protect the paint and gobble up rebounds, she is perfect. She was huge for the Lynx in the playoffs and with her Lynx experience she now should have chemistry with Moore, Whalen, and Augustus.

If Fowles gets in I know then they wanted three centers but imo that shouldn't trump Parker. Keep in mind leaving off Sylvia doesn't mean she stinks so yeah she fits. So does Parker fit in this team perfectly imo which is why I am so stunned as many are that she is left off. Just because Sylvia is a fit doesn't mean Parker isn't. And just because she has "more chemistry" doesn't mean "more chemistry" is the way to go otherwise why not start one team that has played together and another team off the bench etc. You wouldn't do it because you also want talent.

IMO this team with Parker is better than this team with Sylvia or Angel.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
and how many games has Geno played in...
I hope you LV fans get the fact that the vast majority of UConn fans are as stunned by Parker's being left off the Olympic roster as you guys.

Listen up everyone - I do not want a flame war in this thread. Go ahead and post your thoughts but please leave out insults, name-calling and HARMFUL speculation. Harmful speculation is where you project your negative thoughts as some kind of fact - "she was omitted because she's a diva/ball hog/bad teammate", etc. That stuff has no place here.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I hope you LV fans get the fact that the vast majority of UConn fans are as stunned by Parker's snub as you guys.

Listen up everyone - I do not want a flame war in this thread. Go ahead and post your thoughts but please leave out name-calling and HARMFUL speculation. Harmful speculation is where you project your negative thoughts as some kind of fact - "she was omitted because she's a diva/ball hog/bad teammate", etc. That stuff has no place here.

It wasn't meant as a Tennessee/UConn thing. The other posted asked how many games Tina has won as a coach. I asked how many games Geno won as a player.

Reaction Score
I'm going to take the wait and see approach... Parker is certainly deserving of a spot... From all the games I've watched the National Team play.. she's a great teammate, as well as talented, unselfish and a overall team player... Maybe this is at her behest... maybe she's influenced by the zika virus... maybe she wants more children... The media tends to blow everything out of proportion alot of times... I'd like to hear what Candace has to say...

Okay.. I just saw the article where Candace does speak on this subject... All I can say is WOW....

Reaction Score
I hope you LV fans get the fact that the vast majority of UConn fans are as stunned by Parker's snub as you guys.

Listen up everyone - I do not want a flame war in this thread. Go ahead and post your thoughts but please leave out insults, name-calling and HARMFUL speculation. Harmful speculation is where you project your negative thoughts as some kind of fact - "she was omitted because she's a diva/ball hog/bad teammate", etc. That stuff has no place here.
I definitely see that most UCONN fans are as shocked as I am.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It wasn't meant as a Tennessee/UConn thing. The other posted asked how many games Tina has won as a coach. I asked how many games Geno won as a player.
Right.

Let's everyone stick to discussing the topic at hand and stop poking at one another.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I'm going to take the wait and see approach... Parker is certainly deserving of a spot... From all the games I've watched the National Team play.. she's a great teammate, as well as talented, unselfish and a overall team player... Maybe this is at her behest... maybe she's influenced by the zika virus... maybe she wants more children... The media tends to blow everything out of proportion alot of times... I'd like to hear what Candace has to say...

Here you go. Candace Parker disappointed, will not be on US hoops roster

"I was surprised, very surprised, but it's tough on her," Parker said. "I was looking forward to this summer. I played well up until this point. Played well in both camps. I felt like my game is still in it's prime."

"I'm disappointed because this is one of the best teams to play USA basketball that I can remember. It hurts a little bit not to be part of it."

In regards to being an alternate: "I'll cross that bridge when it happens," she said. "I'm older and more mature and feel like I take things as they come. They made their decision and I have to respect it."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tina Thompson was an outstanding player, a pioneer in the W who played consistently and capably into the modern era.
She has earned and deserves our respect for her views.
I'm looking forward to seeing her continue to assist the Texas team in the seasons to come.

Reaction Score

"I was surprised, very surprised, but it's tough on her," Parker said. "I was looking forward to this summer. I played well up until this point. Played well in both camps. I felt like my game is still in it's prime."

"I'm disappointed because this is one of the best teams to play USA basketball that I can remember. It hurts a little bit not to be part of it."

In regards to being an alternate: "I'll cross that bridge when it happens," she said. "I'm older and more mature and feel like I take things as they come. They made their decision and I have to respect it."
I made an edit since I originally posted... but TY for sharing :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I too have taken a wait and see perspective. However with this statement we can now cross off the idea that Parker herself declined a spot for any reason. It looks like the onus now falls on the Committee or Geno. My respect will go to who owns it and not who passes the buck. God what an S-Storm.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well I've been ruminating over this news since it broke yesterday. At first I was hoping that it was a false story. As it became apparent I tried to find a justification within my scope of knowledge recognizing that my (our) knowledge of most details of what is going on is "lacking". It became apparent to me that without some type of explanation, this is going to cause lots of anger and distrust in the USA basketball process.

Sure enough we are seeing that general mood coming out from many quarters today and I think that it will only get worse without some explanation. So right now my hope is that, when the team is announced tomorrow, USA basketball offers some form of explanation. However, I also recognize that depending on the reasons for this "choice", full disclosure could be interpreted as negative or harmful to someone or perhaps there are explanations that for one reason or another (privacy) cannot be made public.

That leads me to fear that a "satisfactory" or complete explanation may not be forthcoming. I hope that I am wrong on that count. Right now transparency by USA basketball is paramount if they are to maintain the trust of the fan base. Even as an avid UConn fan, I would be suspicious of USA basketball's methods without them offering a believable rational for this choice. Just makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
Neither Fowles or Angel provide the same game as Parker

We saw at the Pan Am games what international play can do to 'finesse' post players - body contact is not called while hand contact is. Fowles provides the type of low post defensive strength as well as height that is very valuable (and she is also a very skilled and experienced player.) It is the essential ingredient that made include Asjha in the last Olympic team important and she proved herself in the one game where she was needed. If you want to drop Fowles, you are going to need to find a player with her strength as a replacement. In my view there is not another post in the US with her combination of both strength and skill.

Angel is also a completely different type player from Parker - she had a pretty poor WC but a very good Olympics. She fully embraces her role as a multi-tool bench player. You want a little instant offensive energy, she can do that, you want a little defensive perimeter pressure defense, she can do that, you don't need either and leave her anchored to the bench, she is cool with that as well. She is in no way as skilled as Parker but she isn't competing for Parkers role. If you want to drop her, then you are looking for someone 6'-ish who can be disruptive on the perimeter and can when needed be a microwave on offense. (FYI - in the last three competitions Angel has led the team in steals (cumulatively doubling up on the next highest) shot .500 or better while starting zero games.)

I can only remember once we’ve been threatened in a long time it was vs the Aussie’s when Tina was still a pup and no Griner. Griner and Tina can handle any center thrown at them. In addition just as we often say with UCONN- the other team doesn’t have 5 super players. In this case – I don’t think every team or most can throw out a center and then claim they’re going to pound and beat us the center position with an opportunity to win the game. You have a few that’s it. And Griner and Tina are much better than the time we had when Tina was so young.

And as good as Big Syl is – Parker is greater. You have either Tina or Griner at defending the paint with Parker at the pf, imo that is an unstoppable combo. And they can defend anyone too at the 5/4 positions plsu Parker is no slouch defensively so on picks in which she has to guard other positions she is athletic enough to do so. She is NOT amongst the best on the world for JUST being an offensive juggernaut.

As for Angel - I agree. OFC Angel is different. But if you had Parker you’d have three “wings” on the perimeter offensively that can support Parker as the pf. That is Maya, EDD, and Augustus. I agree the move Gneo made in Olympics in that I don’t think Catchings and Parker are that compatible. But when you are up by 30 or maybe more vs many of the opponents you can play them together too.

And as for Angel embracing her role-- Parker did fine coming off the bench during the Olympics. And I agree Parker is not competing for Angel’s role. Maya, Augustus and Catchings can guard on the perimeter. They would take Angel’s spot. It’s not like the opposing teams have four player’s of the quality of Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Michael Jordan and Larry Bird out there.

Reaction Score
Sure reads that way. Honestly, the optics on this are not good.

Taurasi, Moore, and Charles are no-doubt picks. But Stewart has no pro experience and Bird has been a statistically below average player for a couple years now. At those same positions, you have the most visible Tenn. player (Parker) and the most visible ND player (Diggins) missing out. Sure, Diggins is coming off knee surgery, but they didn't take her for Worlds right after she was named 1st team All-WNBA.

There might be good reasons for these decisions but it definitely looks like it's much easier to make the team if you went to UConn. And if you went to a rival of UConn, it's much harder.

I may have agreed with you if I didn't see the 2014 championships. The Olympic team did select Simms whom they must have thought superior to Diggins. I can remember a few years back to that time-- uconnkat and I went at it before the selection - I thought Diggins was superior. I was wrong Kat was right; they took Simms. Have you gotten over that? Though I'm not a ND fan - so I easily did.

But from what I saw back then -- as I was preaching for some "youth" and Diggins - Simms I thought a worthy player's. But once I saw Simmsr play International ball vs hwo I saw her paly in reg season - and then I saw how Bird played -- imo it wasn't close. Bird was far superior imo. I could have had my UCONN glasses on but to me - Simms didn't look like she was near ready. If Simms wasn't ready- then in no way do I see how an injured Skylar can even be close to ready. Per Nan's notes regarding Skylar - Skylar is still concerned over her body. SO I don't get why you felt a need a mention Skylar here which is why I asked if you had gotten over that she wasn't picked back in 2014? Bacially Skylar is telling us she isn't ready but you still want Skylar?

And the same reason I just gave for Bird which is why I also support Catchings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom