Parker off Olympic team? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree (finally) with Nan and UCMiami on their most recent posting. We fans of USA olympic's and as a Uconn fan that enjoyed watching Parker (except when she led Tn to Victory over UC) can understand some of the : What the HE__ is happening???
Geno is not perfect (Oh, yes I've said this often here) but I have to believe there is so much more to this story that We Shall Never Know! And rightly so--some interpersonal/professional/ability issues belong left where they lie!!

Reaction Score
Here are the names of the people who voted for the team.

Carol Callan (USA Basketball)
Reneé Brown (WNBA)
Dan Hughes (WNBA)
Chris Sienko (WNBA)
Katie Smith (Athlete Representative)

While I have no doubt that Geno gave them his opinion, I'm confident that they have their own ideas. from what I have read elsewhere and can't confirm, three of the above did not vote for Parker.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I may have agreed with you if I didn't see the 2014 championships. The Olympic team did select Simms whom they must have thought superior to Diggins. I can remember a few years back to that time-- uconnkat and I went at it before the selection - I thought Diggins was superior. I was wrong Kat was right; they took Simms. Have you gotten over that? Though I'm not a ND fan - so I easily did.

But from what I saw back then -- as I was preaching for some "youth" and Diggins - Simms I thought a worthy player's. But once I saw Simmsr play International ball vs hwo I saw her paly in reg season - and then I saw how Bird played -- imo it wasn't close. Bird was far superior imo. I could have had my UCONN glasses on but to me - Simms didn't look like she was near ready. If Simms wasn't ready- then in no way do I see how an injured Skylar can even be close to ready. Per Nan's notes regarding Skylar - Skylar is still concerned over her body. SO I don't get why you felt a need a mention Skylar here which is why I asked if you had gotten over that she wasn't picked back in 2014? Bacially Skylar is telling us she isn't ready but you still want Skylar?

And the same reason I just gave for Bird which is why I also support Catchings.

Those quotes Nan posted were from a section of an article that discussed her high minutes load (35 per game) in 2014 and her ability to sustain that. They weren't about her ability to play overall. Also note that she said "But I’m confident with where I’m at right now, and better ever day." I would be very surprised if she isn't starting on opening day for Dallas and I'll bet she plays well, too.

Rationally, I can come up with a justification for every choice USAB makes. UcMiami's posts do a really good job of laying out that rational case. Just as a fan and a fan of ND, specifically, my gut reaction is that some players, notably UConn players, get a benefit of the doubt that others don't.

USAB says they are looking for the next generation of guards to emerge. Sloot has a career best season and leads the WNBA in assists. McBride has a big overseas campaign and is a key to Orenburg nearly pulling a huge upset over Ekaterinburg in the Euroleague final. Diggins makes all-WNBA 1st team. Yet none of them are seen as having done enough. The same old crew of guards - Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus, Bird -- are picked.

Meanwhile, Stewart gets picked for Worlds while still in college and for the Olympics before playing a single game. What is the justification on that? - USAB needed to take a young player. Some players seem to have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they belong while others are handed a spot before they have done anything as pros.

Now, I don't have a problem with Stewart going, but it doesn't seem consistent. Parker is better than Stewart now, so if you value experience and making players earn a spot, Parker should go. If you are willing to displace some veterans so that younger players can get international experience, why no Sims, Diggins, McBride, or Loyd?

Reaction Score
Here's some more grist, all 12 team members are signed with Nike. Parker is with Adidas.

It would be so shocking to discover that the Olympic logo has been replaced by $$$$$$$? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's some more grist, all 12 team members are signed with Nike. Parker is with Adidas.

It would be so shocking to discover that the Olympic log has been replaced by $$$$$$$? :rolleyes:
Hmmm. Interesting!

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
so it WAS chemistry. Financial chemistry.

Reaction Score
Wow. I don't understand how you can leave one of the WNBA's top 5 players off the roster. That is like leaving Kevin Durant off the roster on the men's side. Wow.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had trouble logging in for a few days, so I'm late to the party. Ok, maybe it's not a party.

I'll preface this by saying what some of you know. I'm not a big fan of Candace. But I respect her game and am shocked and puzzled by this. I think she is one of the top players in the world, with Diana, Maya, and Elena (EDD having replaced Catch in the past 1-2 years). I thought Candace was arguably the best player in the WNBA last year, with her improved passing. Had she played as effectively for the full season, instead of sitting out the first half, she might well have been the MVP.

My first reaction was that the Zika virus might have been an issue. Some female athletes have dropped out of the games, and Candace is the only U.S. player with a child, I believe. I thought she may be pregnant or may want to be pregnant soon. The virus appears not to be a factor.

Some relatively minor negatives on Candace: She has yet to win a championship in the WNBA. She's won 2 MVP awards, but no championship. In London in 2012, Candace starred in the gold medal game against France. The style of play in that game fit her. However, in the semi-finals, where I sat behind the Aussie basket for the first half, she was unable to slow down Liz Cambage. I think even Sylvia had trouble. In the second half, Liz may have been gassed, but a confirmation of Asjha Jones and Tina Charles kept Liz away from the basket. If not for AJ, we might have been in the bronze medal game instead.

It's obvious that the team we believe was selected is both old and big. But the only player I would have left off was Angel. She was effective in 2012, but out of control in 2014. She must have convinced the committee that she would play under control. When she does, she is fabulous. Though some of the players are long in the tooth, I don't think anyone was quite ready to replace Sue, Lindsay, or Catch. Or if so, the replacements were not fully healthy.

In terms of Stewie, two things are needed on the team: 3-point shooting and versatility. I would argue that, while not the most experienced, Stewie is the most versatile player among the 12. She can play at least 3 positions. The Stewie of 2016 is not the Stewie of 2014. She is much stronger, smarter, and more experienced. I think she was a good choice in terms of focusing on both the present and the future.

As Cat noted, this is the 2014 team from Turkey with 3 changes: EDD, Fowles, and Catch in lieu of Sims, Dupree, and Nneka. Though Candace and Nneka played well, I think this is a net improvement. Nneka was NOT the best player in Turkey. Maya won the MOP, and both Griner and Tina were outstanding. That said, I'd still like to have Nneka on the team. For the Sylvia detractors, keep in mind that she was the WNBA Finals MOP. Sylvia still has game.

I'm looking forward to the explanation from USA Basketball. I'm reminded, though, of the goal of picking not the 12 best players, but the 12 players that compose the best team. Candace is clearly in the first group. I thought she was in the second as well, but USA Basketball appeared to disagree.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think there's a conspiracy. Part of the reason I'm not a fan of Candace is that I think she's a "me first" type of player. The fact that she apparently leaked at least part of the list of selectees confirms my opinion.

I agree that there is and may continue to be a sh__storm, but let's try to remain calm and rational. I disagree with the decision on the surface, but I want to hear more.

Reaction Score
Those quotes Nan posted were from a section of an article that discussed her high minutes load (35 per game) in 2014 and her ability to sustain that. They weren't about her ability to play overall. Also note that she said "But I’m confident with where I’m at right now, and better ever day." I would be very surprised if she isn't starting on opening day for Dallas and I'll bet she plays well, too.

Rationally, I can come up with a justification for every choice USAB makes. UcMiami's posts do a really good job of laying out that rational case. Just as a fan and a fan of ND, specifically, my gut reaction is that some players, notably UConn players, get a benefit of the doubt that others don't.

USAB says they are looking for the next generation of guards to emerge. Sloot has a career best season and leads the WNBA in assists. McBride has a big overseas campaign and is a key to Orenburg nearly pulling a huge upset over Ekaterinburg in the Euroleague final. Diggins makes all-WNBA 1st team. Yet none of them are seen as having done enough. The same old crew of guards - Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus, Bird -- are picked.

Meanwhile, Stewart gets picked for Worlds while still in college and for the Olympics before playing a single game. What is the justification on that? - USAB needed to take a young player. Some players seem to have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they belong while others are handed a spot before they have done anything as pros.

Now, I don't have a problem with Stewart going, but it doesn't seem consistent. Parker is better than Stewart now, so if you value experience and making players earn a spot, Parker should go. If you are willing to displace some veterans so that younger players can get international experience, why no Sims, Diggins, McBride, or Loyd?

No argument here---I don't know enough about what went on behind closed doors or with Parker for them to come to any conclusions--although the image is there, images are not facts however.
I doubt you could dismiss the talent and presence Steward presented in the last 4 years enough to keep her from "making" the USA team. There is no rule that excluded college players from the USA team--remember in the not too distant past--Professional (United States) players were not allowed on Olympic teams I'm sure you will have more than your fair share of arguments --no need for me to push it .

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe because the 4 you mentioned play the following: 1, 2/1, 2/3 and 2/1. Stewart can play the 2-5 positions. Her athleticism, shooting, ball handling, defense, wing span and passing makes her the most unique player in the world. There is literally no other player on the planet who can do all the things she can do as well as she does them. Some may be taller, faster, better shooters, etc etc but none can do all the things she can.

Reaction Score
I had trouble logging in for a few days, so I'm late to the party. Ok, maybe it's not a party.

I'll preface this by saying what some of you know. I'm not a big fan of Candace. But I respect her game and am shocked and puzzled by this. I think she is one of the top players in the world, with Diana, Maya, and Elena (EDD having replaced Catch in the past 1-2 years). I thought Candace was arguably the best player in the WNBA last year, with her improved passing. Had she played as effectively for the full season, instead of sitting out the first half, she might well have been the MVP.

My first reaction was that the Zika virus might have been an issue. Some female athletes have dropped out of the games, and Candace is the only U.S. player with a child, I believe. I thought she may be pregnant or may want to be pregnant soon. The virus appears not to be a factor.

Some relatively minor negatives on Candace: She has yet to win a championship in the WNBA. She's won 2 MVP awards, but no championship. In London in 2012, Candace starred in the gold medal game against France. The style of play in that game fit her. However, in the semi-finals, where I sat behind the Aussie basket for the first half, she was unable to slow down Liz Cambage. I think even Sylvia had trouble. In the second half, Liz may have been gassed, but a confirmation of Asjha Jones and Tina Charles kept Liz away from the basket. If not for AJ, we might have been in the bronze medal game instead.

It's obvious that the team we believe was selected is both old and big. But the only player I would have left off was Angel. She was effective in 2012, but out of control in 2014. She must have convinced the committee that she would play under control. When she does, she is fabulous. Though some of the players are long in the tooth, I don't think anyone was quite ready to replace Sue, Lindsay, or Catch. Or if so, the replacements were not fully healthy.

In terms of Stewie, two things are needed on the team: 3-point shooting and versatility. I would argue that, while not the most experienced, Stewie is the most versatile player among the 12. She can play at least 3 positions. The Stewie of 2016 is not the Stewie of 2014. She is much stronger, smarter, and more experienced. I think she was a good choice in terms of focusing on both the present and the future.

As Cat noted, this is the 2014 team from Turkey with 3 changes: EDD, Fowles, and Catch in lieu of Sims, Dupree, and Nneka. Though Candace and Nneka played well, I think this is a net improvement. Nneka was NOT the best player in Turkey. Maya won the MOP, and both Griner and Tina were outstanding. That said, I'd still like to have Nneka on the team. For the Sylvia detractors, keep in mind that she was the WNBA Finals MOP. Sylvia still has game.

I'm looking forward to the explanation from USA Basketball. I'm reminded, though, of the goal of picking not the 12 best players, but the 12 players that compose the best team. Candace is clearly in the first group. I thought she was in the second as well, but USA Basketball appeared to disagree.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think there's a conspiracy. Part of the reason I'm not a fan of Candace is that I think she's a "me first" type of player. The fact that she apparently leaked at least part of the list of selectees confirms my opinion.

I agree that there is and may continue to be a sh__storm, but let's try to remain calm and rational. I disagree with the decision on the surface, but I want to hear more.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think there's a conspiracy Me t00. But that does not stop the conspiracy theorists

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She was a consistently good player and had a long career in the WNBA, but in my opinion was never outstanding. In fact, was probably only the 3rd best player on her own Comets team (Swoopes and Cooper). Not her fault, but her career stats and accomplishments were boosted by her extremely long career (a compiler of stats). I'm not saying her opinion doesn't matter, but she's hastily placing this decision solely at Geno's feet and I think that's unfair.
I must have missed the part where Tina place the decison solely at Geno feet.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I must have missed the part where Tina place the decison solely at Geno feet.

She doesn't name him but she alludes in her tweet to "one person" being responsible:
1f633.png
My face when I found out Candace Parker isn't on the USA Team! Smh...unbelievable how 1 person can diminish decades of work! #teamCP

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I appreciate the depth of the analysis in both UC's and Milford's post in short this analysis is way too deep. Post defense and style of play of France vs Australia is something that one might use to justify who is the 12th spot on the roster i.e., someone who was not expected to play much. CP should never have been in consider for the 12th roster spot much less being excluded from this roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She doesn't name him but she alludes in her tweet to "one person" being responsible:
1f633.png
My face when I found out Candace Parker isn't on the USA Team! Smh...unbelievable how 1 person can diminish decades of work! #teamCP
She doesn't name him!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She doesn't name him!

Yes, but it's hard to imagine what "one person" she might be referring to, if not to Geno. Unless she means the chairwoman of the selection committee, perhaps? But even then, she would know that everyone would assume she's talking about Geno.

Reaction Score
I will miss her playing for our country. She has earned it, and deserves it. IAC, WBB looks bad, The Olympic Process looks bad, and Geno looks bad. It is what it is.
FIUR GENO? The funny part of all this is Geno didn't even want to do this a second time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Possible interpretation of Tina's statement:

It refers to:

-Geno

-Carol Callan-

-Any 1 of the 5 on the committee. This may be a stretch, but Tina's statement is terse and obviously ambiguous. There are 5 on the committee, and we have heard that Candace got 3 "nay" votes. Maybe any 1 of those 3 could have voted differently, giving Candace a majority "yea." Would that have put her in the top 12? Who knows!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Interesting!
Alydar said:

It would be so shocking to discover that the Olympic log has been replaced by $$$$$$$? :rolleyes:
Yes, isn't it? God what an S-Storm.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I think we need to wait to see what the mouthpiece of US Basketball says. It's clear Parker was as surprised as anyone and she's certainly been very classy about it, while obviously being very disappointed. It's pretty clear she's not concerned about the Zika virus - at least from her tweets, as she made no mention of it. So now it falls on USA basketball to address the controversy. Will they? I have no idea and hope they are asked a lot of questions about it.

Like Nan, I find it sort of amusing that a topic where 99% of the posts are all in agreement that leaving Parker off is mystifying at the very least, that there can be so much snark. It seems to me that the 2 players most often mentioned as "should have" for being left off the team in favor of Parker are Angel and Sylvia. The other 2 players not mentioned as much are Catch and Siemone.

I can't speculate at all to the reasons. Parker was on the 2012 Olympic team and while not a starter, played quite well. She seemed to play within the team concept, so I can't speak to that, especially since i was not at practices, and did not see the games live. I certainly understand the Tenn fans frustration. I can also understand where it seems like a bias in favor of UCONN, which I think is also unfair.

I think the USA Basketball Committee needs to address this, regardless if their policy is to "not discuss players who did or did not make the team". This is a unique situation and while I don't know what the fallout will be, the emotions and opinions will certainly not go away by ignoring the situation....
With Maya on the team, why should they carry 4 guards? Sue, Diana, Lindsey, and Maya can handle those minutes, EDD, and Breanna, with Maya on the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom