Parker off Olympic team? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Aside from the surprising nature of Candace's exclusion, I hate that this news is being reported by itself before the actual team is known. The Geno-haters are having a field day with this.

No doubt the intent of the person(s) who leaked the information to ESPN.

Whatever USA BB's reasons, they sure knew the decision would be controversial and made it anyway.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Zika is definitely an issue and I wonder if any possible team members removed their name from consideration because of it. For females it is a more serious consideration than males, but it is scary for either.

It would seem to me that Catchings and Augustus are the two players most in the discussion with Parker - Angel is more of a guard/wing than a wing/forward which is where Parker slots into the team. If I were picking the best team I would replace Catchings with Parker because I think at this time in their careers Parkers offense is more better than Catchings defense, but I can understand that USA basketball wants to remain loyal to Catchings. And I can see that Augustus might be considered a better fit with the team than Parker, but ...

If this team is in fact correct, then I think it clearly indicates that USA basketball rates the Olympics way ahead of the WC. This is clearly the last hurrah for Bird and Catchings and could well be for a few other players as well. The 2018 WC team will likely be significantly different and USA seems to be saying its OK that we will be bringing a lot of fresh blood for that competition.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I really hope there is something more to this decision. For me, Parker is easily a top-three player in the world and has beyond paid her dues. If it was my decision I cut Delle Donne for Parker in a heartbeat. She's fragile and hasn't paid her dues. I also love me some Stewie but would not take her over Parker at this point, and not probably for years to come.

I do hate that this puts such extra pressure on Stewart to perform in the WNBA, not that she was not going to have a lot of pressure anyway. But she is now going to have her performance compared to both Parker and Ogwumike and they are seasoned veterans who are capable of putting up big numbers, which could make the decision to leave them off the team appear to be less about ability. I hope Stewart takes the WNBA by "storm" and puts all doubts to rest with her play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
  • Griner and Fowles are 5s, period. No flexibility there at all, but...you can't teach tall. .

I think that both Griner and Fowles bring more to the table that just being tall. And you will have to talk a long time to convince me that Charles is more athletic than Fowles.

Reaction Score
Whether she is starting or not, every time she suits up for USA Basketball she leads in multiple categories. She delivers at an elite level. One of the 3 best players on the planet with plenty of familiarity playing with other veterans, especially Diana. I don't get it. She missed the Feb. training camp while she played in China. Sylvia and Tina missed too. Geno said Candace and Maya were at another level at the previous camp. So, no, I don't think this was Geno's call.

Everyone assumes that this was entirely the decision of USA basketball. I realize that the Olympics are promoted in the US as an expression of national pride but in reality it is a business. Parker may not be able (or willing) to commit to the practice schedule. It's not out of the question that Parker was the one who said no thanks. As a dedicated mother she would have to choose between leaving her daughter for 2 weeks or so or bringing her. Brazil is not exactly the safest environment right now, either crime-wise or health-wise. The No 1 ranked golfer has declined an opportunity to compete. There could be any number of reasons for her to be off the team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Everyone assumes that this was entirely the decision of USA basketball. I realize that the Olympics are promoted in the US as an expression of national pride but in reality it is a business. Parker may not be able (or willing) to commit to the practice schedule. It's not out of the question that Parker was the one who said no thanks. As a dedicated mother she would have to choose between leaving her daughter for 2 weeks or so or bringing her. Brazil is not exactly the safest environment right now, either crime-wise or health-wise. The No 1 ranked golfer has declined an opportunity to compete. There could be any number of reasons for her to be off the team.

It would be mighty weird for her to remove herself from contention given that she's been actively promoting the Rio Olympics and just 3 days ago she tweeted with the hashtag "#roadtorio":

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I am hopeful that it is something of that nature. If so, Mechelle Voepel is going to have egg all over her face for that article on ESPN.com. I can't imagine her writing that article without some inside information about this not being Parker's decision.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If this is not Parker's decision I would considered this one of the biggest snubs in recent memory. This would be like leaving LeBron James off of the men's team and is far greater than the questionable decisions made concerning the 2012 team.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
No doubt the intent of the person(s) who leaked the information to ESPN.

Whatever USA BB's reasons, they sure knew the decision would be controversial and made it anyway.

I think the obvious intent was to call attention to the injustice of leaving someone who is widely considered one of the top three WBB players in the world off of the team. After that the cards will fall as they may, but I don't see the leak as an attack on Geno or the selection committee, though some fans may take it that way.

You call the leaked list a "rumoured" list in a previous post, but now claim above that it is a done decision. I think we will have to wait and see.

I was hoping that this would be a time to celebrate Stewie's selection to the Olympic team, but instead we have more controversy.
I trust we can celebrate when USA BB makes their announcement on Wednesday; hopefully without any added controversy.

Reaction Score
USA rewards those who stay committed to the program. I remember the 2012 games. Parker's fans were outraged that she didn't start and didn't play much till the final game, in which she starred. They put it all on Auriemma. They forgot that the team was short at the 5 and that she refused to play there. She wasn't going to start over Moore at the 3 so the only spot for her was to replace Catchings. The LV fans ignored that one. They also forget that once the games were over and Parker returned to LA she soon took the rest of the year off, claiming injury. I don't remember anyone suggesting that was why she sat so much during the Olympics. In 2012 she wasn't on the team. I don't remember if she was injured or not but maybe her commitment to USA Basketball is the issue.

Reaction Score
It would be mighty weird for her to remove herself from contention given that she's been actively promoting the Rio Olympics and just 3 days ago she tweeted with the hashtag "#roadtorio":

also notice the advertisement logo in the corner. She got paid. There may be a conflict with those who own the rights to the Olympic logo. This is a $ billion business. Just speculating but there's a lot more involved than just the athletics.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think the obvious intent was to call attention to the injustice of leaving someone who is widely considered one of the top three WBB players in the world off of the team. After that the cards will fall as they may, but I don't see the leak as an attack on Geno or the selection committee, though some fans may take it that way.

You call the leaked list a "rumoured" list in a previous post, but now claim above that it is a done decision. I think we will have to wait and see.

I was hoping that this would be a time to celebrate Stewie's selection to the Olympic team, but instead we have more controversy.
I trust we can celebrate when USA BB makes their announcement on Wednesday; hopefully without any added controversy.

I don't see the leak as an attack on Geno or the selection committee and didn't say as much. I see the leak as an effort to attract attention and the spotlight on Parker's omission separate and apart from the team announcement and those who've made the team. The leaker obviously wanted this information out now rather than Wednesday.

I did not claim the list is a done deal. I referred to it in one post as "rumored" and subsequently assumed it's true. Sloppy writing on my part.

I agree with you on a controversy-free announcement but that's not happening. I look forward to hearing from Carol Callan and Geno about the makeup of the team.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Him surprised at Fowles over Parker. And they need youth to anchor future teams internationally. I agree with UC Cat above!

Reaction Score
I visited this board late because a I saw the headlines running below on espn sportscenter that Parker was cut. I can't believe it but I believe she was obviously ESPN is running the blurb below on the taper. If she wanted on this team she should have gotten on it unless something really really unusual. I would easily take her over Angel. Positions with this team doesn't matter. They'll win no matter. IMO Angel's athleticism has slowed enough that he isn't that elite of defender and as result of her athleticism decline a bit she isn't the weapon offensively or finisher etc that she once was.

In addition a poster said in past Olympics Parker refused to paly center. SI that true? Anyone have a link?

Another poster suggested a young pg is more important than Stewie. Ridiculous. You want to deny a player such as "Larry Bird" for an inferior player?

And I'm not sure but someone compared that Fowles can play pf in the same way Tina Charles can?

And I'm not sure but I thought someone spoke of the world's best and left off Parker. Hopefully it was just an implied understanding that Parker is among the world's best and didn't bother to mention it because it was so obvious. I think being fair here- we all know Parker is a super great player and among the best on the world.

And another post I read - surprised by someone said Parker is going to take it out on Stewie. I would find that extremely odd. Parker is considered amongst the best in the world. The fact she would take it out on the last player on the bench when she probably feels she is among the best in the world would be a bit shallow imo. IMO it would be way beneath her. Stewie is no way as good as Parker yet. Parker has nothing to prove there. But that leads to

Another od post. Someone suggested "alternates." No way in hell Parker imo should ever consider being an alternate unless there is a bonafide reason why she didn't initially want to be on the team or had major reservations etc. But no way that seems like the case. She may be more likely to play for another team.

Reaction Score
FWIW , Stewie has been a loyal, consistent, and star player for USAA basketball since she was 14. USAA Basketball tends to reward loyalty, in part to encourage future younger players to participate. No one should be surprised that she made the team, and deservedly so! Even if it is seemingly at the expense of other players.

Notice that one of the reasons she was left off the team is "chemistry". There has not been a lot of time for the team to practice, so they will be more likely to look for player combinations that work well with one another. If Geno holds to USAA basketball form, he will have two 5 person line-ups that have a lot of familiarity with each other and shuttle them in and out like a hockey line change. The remaining two players fill in on one of these lines on an as needed basis, generally as a defensive or offensive spark plug. My guess for the two 5 person lines are:

DT, Bird, Charles, Maya, and Griner with the second line-up as:
Whalen, Simone, Elena, Catch, and Fowles

with Angel and Stewie filling in as needed.

As great a player Candace Parker is, she doesn't quite fit in either of the two line-ups (except possibly as a replacement for Catch) and might be dissatisfied with being one of the last two off the bench.

Reaction Score
FWIW , Stewie has been a loyal, consistent, and star player for USAA basketball since she was 14. USAA Basketball tends to reward loyalty, in part to encourage future younger players to participate. No one should be surprised that she made the team, and deservedly so! Even if it is seemingly at the expense of other players.

Notice that one of the reasons she was left off the team is "chemistry". There has not been a lot of time for the team to practice, so they will be more likely to look for player combinations that work well with one another. If Geno holds to USAA basketball form, he will have two 5 person line-ups that have a lot of familiarity with each other and shuttle them in and out like a hockey line change. The remaining two players fill in on one of these lines on an as needed basis, generally as a defensive or offensive spark plug. My guess for the two 5 person lines are:

As great a player Candace Parker is, she doesn't quite fit in either of the two line-ups (except possibly as a replacement for Catch) and might be dissatisfied with being one of the last two off the bench.

Where did you see that chemistry was the issue?

And I think your point that Parker doesn't fit is totally absurd. Beyond absurd.

Reaction Score
Candace fits in anywhere on any team. She never refused to play center. Much of the drama at the 2012 Olympics regarding her role was the fans, not her. She was 3rd in scoring and top 2 or 3 in almost every other category on that team, as she is every time she plays in an event with USA basketball. Her and Diana have played together quite a bit the last decade and she has been a mainstay within USA basketball for years now. She missed the WC in 2014 due to injury and a training camp in Feb. (along with Fowles and Charles) due to overseas commitments. She has put in the time on and off the court for USA basketball. This is a flat out snub of one of the best players women's basketball has ever seen. She is healthy, younger than half the team and still has 2 to 3 more olympic years in her.

Reaction Score
Candace fits in anywhere on any team. She never refused to play center. Much of the drama at the 2012 Olympics regarding her role was the fans, not her. She was 3rd in scoring and top 2 or 3 in almost every other category on that team, as she is every time she plays in an event with USA basketball. Her and Diana have played together quite a bit the last decade and she has been a mainstay within USA basketball for years now. She missed the WC in 2014 due to injury and a training camp in Feb. (along with Fowles and Charles) due to overseas commitments. She has put in the time on and off the court for USA basketball. This is a flat out snub of one of the best players women's basketball has ever seen. She is healthy, younger than half the team and still has 2 to 3 more olympic years in her.

That's what I remember too.

And I absolutely agree - Parker can play any style. She's a beast. This is very very very odd.

Reaction Score
If you're correct that it's "a flat out snub" there must be a reason!

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score

CHEMISTRY=code word for (1) players who attended the same school and therefore know each other or (2) have played together a lot. Good excuse to avoid people you don't like or new blood or both. So we'll have good chemistry, much of which is coagulated old blood. Shame. I hope they fix this before 2020 or the US might get to play a VERY good NIGERIAN team. 2 Ogwumikes, a few Amukamaras, Ogunbowale, etc.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have a question for everyone posting here - and I have no idea if this is the case or not, but ...

If the final choice came down to Parker or Catchings who would you choose?

And as a follow up, would the fallout of not taking Catchings be less or greater than not taking Parker?

(My choice - Parker over Catchings, but I think the fallout would be greater especially in the middle of Catchings farewell tour through the WNBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom