Parker off Olympic team? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems pretty obvious that you are not going to agree with me. She has put in many hours with USA basketball. I'm not saying others haven't but you can not say she has not been dedicated. She didn't play much oversees last season because she wanted to spend time with family and to get ready for the Olympics.

Parker Balances Basketball, Family
Fair enough. I was going to say the same thing depending on how you replied - not looking for a fight at all. I realize Tenn fans love Parker the same way we love Dee, Maya, Stewie, etc etc...

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
If indeed she posted the video it likely expresses the very attitude or behavior that led to her not being selected.

This is the attitude that will keep the game from growing. So what if Candace has an attitude? So what if DT has an attitude? So what if Angel has an attitude? And the list goes on. Set it aside and put the best talent on the floor. There's a reason the men's game flourishes. Use their attitudes to advance the game by growing the audience. The audience loves the flare and swag that these players bring to the court. They love their edginess. Do you think everyone loved Michael Jordan? Some couldn't stand the guy. Or Kobe? Or Lebron?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Has she been very dedicated to US Basketball? How so? Did she arrange her surgeries around US Basketball, or did she arrange them so she could play overseas and earn lots of $$? She was healthy and participated in the 2012 Olympics, but what exactly has she "done" for USA basketball? If you "don't think it would have been good for her to take a spot on the team when she needed surgery anyway", why did she play thru the first part of the WNBA that year, and then elect to have the surgery after it was clear her team would not make the playoffs? Why not have the surgery earlier so she could have been recuperated in time for Team USA?

Frankly I'm done with people blaming Geno for her exclusion from the team (not accusing you of doing that), but instead of playing the "poor Candace Parker" card over and over, I'm asking people to expand their minds and look at reasons she might not be on the team other than Geno not wanting her there. How much has she really given and sacrificed for Team USA?

If people continue to want to perpetuate the "blame Geno" and "blame the committee", that's their prerogative, but I'm suggesting they look at where Parker might have brought this on herself. There's a reason this happened and it has zero to do with Geno being the bad guy.

She's not timing surgeries with USA play. She has an agreement with her overseas team to not start there until January each year. She also has her WNBA commitment. These are both contractual agreements. Her only off time is the few months leading up to January and after the WNBA season. She certainly isn't making plans to be injured and have these knee clean ups required.

Last, she devoted this past year to USA, including choosing to forego her overseas money in order to be available for USA commitments. She played in October. She's also been doing USA promos and speaking engagements.

Reaction Score
Compare that to Parker. Yes she had surgeries, but she made sure to have them done so that she'd have time to play overseas, and earn lots of $$... but it was at the expense of Team USA and the World Championships in Prague and Istanbul. In fact, she was playing through the injury in 2010 in the WNBA until her team tanked and decided to take the rest of the season off to have the surgery and recuperate.

I get that players have injuries and need surgery. Can't blame them for that. BUT if she chose to schedule the surgery so that she'd miss the World Championships in 2010 and 2014, BUT would would be healed in time for the lucrative overseas seasons, I can see why USA basketball might be miffed. Cappie was left off the team seemingly for her transgression at NY Fashion Week. Choosing to pass on Team USA twice so she could make more $$ overseas seems like a valid reason for Team USA to pass on her now in 2016.

People are overwrought about Parker's absence from the team because they believe her to be one of the best individual players in the world. She may very well be, but Team USA is all about the TEAM. It's about sacrificing individual goals, etc, for the betterment of the team and our country. If the committee felt that she had consistently put her personal career over Team USA, I can see why they would have done what they did.

Instead of blaming the US National committee and Geno, maybe people should take a harder look at what Candace did for Team and Country and see if her absence has more to do with her past actions.

Regarding your 1st two paragraphs I agree. Then he committee should point that out. You're hearing rumblings from current and former players. Whose to say it won't pick-up once the games begin? All it takes is one game that is "pretty close" and the questions could come up, "Couldn't Parker have helped them here?"

OUR COACH is being BLAMED. It's nice we say "This doesn't mean anything . . ." But when the committee lays bullcrap about there were too many other 3/4's -- and yet it had more to do with her unwilling to play as you say- then Geno is taking a hit (minor as it may be) somewhat for that. I think the committee is more interested in 2010 and 2014 WC availability IF that were the issue and then it would have VERY LITTLE to do with Geno. So, as a fan of UCONN I don't want to have to hear that crap if I think the player's criticizing are dead wrong and the committee doesn't say a word about the WC's. Or did they? Anyhow, I'm a FAN. Abbreviation for FANATIC. I don't want my UCONN team taking hits - even if minor - when it is uncalled for for doing so. The committee should have the guts to say something about the WC's if that wa a big reason why Parker got cut.

As far as Parker the player- this is the very reason why I want to hear from committee or Geno (just because I'm a fan like you and anyone else - and I believe Parker is a beast). So tell me why committee. I will continue to believe they are talking BS if they say there were TOO MANY 3/4's because I don't believe there were nor do I believe that Parker's game couldn't make this team better than other player's. As a basketball fan, tell me why committee.

And I don't agree with your comments about Parker is more about "individual" or similar to that if you didn't mean it totally. So if I don't agree with that. And I think the committee didn't give me a satisfactory answer and I think they are hanging Geno out to dry a little- as a fan it bugs me a little I'm not getting answers. So I'll continue to "blame the committee" in my own way.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She's not timing surgeries with USA play. She has an agreement with her overseas team to not start there until January each year. She also has her WNBA commitment. These are both contractual agreements. Her only off time is the few months leading up to January and after the WNBA season. She certainly isn't making plans to be injured and have these knee clean ups required.

Last, she devoted this past year to USA, including choosing to forego her overseas money in order to be available for USA commitments. She played in October. She's also been doing USA promos and speaking engagements.

Other players have contractual arrangements with the WNBA and overseas teams as well and probably have been in need of clean up surgeries, but they figured out a way to be ready for the world championships. I'm sure most of the players would prefer to play only in the Olympics but Team USA can't operate a system in which players get to play in only the more significant event. Skipping the 2014 worlds seems to have been a sticking point for some and it's beginning to sound like there might have been some chemistry issues around that.

As for the other stuff, well then perhaps it behooves her to sit down with Carol Callan and the USA BB committee and talk about why she was asked to do USA promotional events and then not make the team. Those would be fair questions in my view. Whatever, this was a USA Basketball decision, not a Geno Auriemma decision.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
UConncat, the reality is, we don't know who's issue it was. We weren't in the room. One thing I don't do is question any players choice and timing for surgery. The grind they all endure takes a tremendous toll, both physically and mentally.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
It seems like you are hearing about chemistry issues from another board. I'm not sure which on and this is the first I have heard of it. I know she and Catch are close and she seems friendly with DT and Bird from overseas. I wasn't aware of any problems with any other players. Also she was one of the few vets that made the last training camp in Spain when most of the team was playing overseas. She did great, had tons of assists, and if I am remembering correctly there was quote about her mentoring Stewart.

Other players have contractual arrangements with the WNBA and overseas teams as well and probably have been in need of clean up surgeries, but they figured out a way to be ready for the world championships. I'm sure most of the players would prefer to play only in the Olympics but Team USA can't operate a system in which players get to play in only the more significant event. Skipping the 2014 worlds seems to have been a sticking point for some and it's beginning to sound like there might have been some chemistry issues around that.

As for the other stuff, well then perhaps it behooves her to sit down with Carol Callan and the USA BB committee and talk about why she was asked to do USA promotional events and then not make the team. Those would be fair questions in my view. Whatever, this was a USA Basketball decision, not a Geno Auriemma decision.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Mechelle is 100"% correct to continue reporting on this scandal
And a scandal it is...a screwup of monumental proportions.
They must have known what was coming if they asked her to lie for them.
Wait...this thing is just getting warmed up.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
so now the committee wanted her to lie and say she didn't want to go. Wow!

That was the paragraph I found the most astounding: "In what is a further insult, USA Basketball seemed to hope she would then opt to say this was all her choice. That she needed more rest or wanted to stay home to attend one of her daughter's recitals or that she didn't care for samba music or whatever could have kept USA Basketball from being asked why she's not on the team."

Huh?! Where is the evidence that USA Basketball wanted her to lie?

Reaction Score
It seems like you are hearing about chemistry issues from another board. I'm not sure which on and this is the first I have heard of it. I know she and Catch are close and she seems friendly with DT and Bird from overseas. I wasn't aware of any problems with any other problems. Also she was one of the few vets that made the last training camp in Spain when most of the team was playing overseas. She did great, had tons of assists, and if I am remembering correctly there was quote about her mentoring Stewart.

Tell me- you seem like a Tenn fan, am I right? And you don't seem like a "hating UCONN fan" either, am I right? The link you provided and the comment from the link - do you really think Geno - a guy who usually speaks his mind a ton maybe to a fault is behind something like this? With his mouth he would be shy in this case?

Still trying to make sense of a Rio roster without Parker

"In what is a further insult, USA Basketball seemed to hope she would then opt to say this was all her choice. That she needed more rest or wanted to stay home to attend one of her daughter's recitals or that she didn't care for samba music or whatever could have kept USA Basketball from being asked why she's not on the team."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That was the paragraph I found the most astounding: "In what is a further insult, USA Basketball seemed to hope she would then opt to say this was all her choice. That she needed more rest or wanted to stay home to attend one of her daughter's recitals or that she didn't care for samba music or whatever could have kept USA Basketball from being asked why she's not on the team."

Huh?! Where is the evidence that USA Basketball wanted her to lie?

You don't really think Mechelle is making that up...do you? :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is the attitude that will keep the game from growing. So what if Candace has an attitude? So what if DT has an attitude? So what if Angel has an attitude? And the list goes on. Set it aside and put the best talent on the floor. There's a reason the men's game flourishes. Use their attitudes to advance the game by growing the audience. The audience loves the flare and swag that these players bring to the court. They love their edginess. Do you think everyone loved Michael Jordan? Some couldn't stand the guy. Or Kobe? Or Lebron?
Sorry but all you have to do is look at the men's history pre coach K to see what 'attitude' can do to a team, or look at a number of professional teams from multiple sports to see what can happen when teammates care more about themselves than the team.
That USA men's team had lots of swag in 1998 and 2002, and 2004, and 2006, and the fans ate it up, until unfortunately it turned out it was bronze swag except for 2002 when is was just an also ran kind of swag. If that is 'The reason the men's game flourishes' I think I'll stick with the women's game or at least go for a coach and committee that ignores the swag and selects the team for chemistry like coach K.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think the point is, why should we care about their opinion.
same reason you want us to care about your opinion... and if you didn't want us to care why post it, keep it to yourself

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She can't have a little fun with it by posting some highlights for a #tbt? She didn't make a particular comment with them. You can have an idea of what her intent *might* be but that's your projection onto an innocuous video.
It's obviously not classy.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's obviously not classy.

Well it wasn't classy to let her promote the Olympics and then cut her.

Truth be told, I have never understood the obsession with "class" in women's basketball. I swear golf isn't half as stuffy and that's saying something.

I took that as her saying (to quote the late Dusty Rhodes) "Brother I am bad and they know I'm bad"

I've questioned her attitude before. I've never seen someone who could complain to a ref and back pedal simultaneously so fluidly.

However, in this case, the majority wbb fans agree that she should be on this team. Yet if she posts anything that even implies that she thinks the same she is branded as classless? I just don't think it's right. But I suspect I won't convince those who think otherwise and they certainly won't convince me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Truth be told, I have never understood the obsession with "class" in women's basketball. I swear golf isn't half as stuffy and that's saying something.

I took that as her saying (to quote the late Dusty Rhodes) "Brother I am bad and they know I'm bad"

I've questioned her attitude before. I've never seen someone who could complain to a ref and back pedal simultaneously so fluidly.

However, in this case, the majority wbb fans agree that she should be on this team. Yet if she posts anything that even implies that she thinks the same she is branded as classless? I just don't think it's right. But I suspect I won't convince those who think otherwise and they certainly won't convince me.
I agree about her promoting the game.

I think she should be on the team, but I understand possible reasons why USA Basketball chose other players instead. I defer to them and their track record.

Lots of folks are emotional and having a knee-jerk reaction. I find UCMiami's and UConnCat's arguments most compelling.

Watergate was a scandal. This is NOT a scandal.

Reaction Score

That video is of an extreme low point in UCONN history. She is pouring salt in a very deep wound, and one that we never had an opportunity to avenge. Although most on this board agree she should have been selected for the Olumpic team, that reminder may challenge our objectivity from here on out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Fine, don't use the word "classy." Substitute the word "professional." She already said she was disappointed and surprised not to be on the team. Fair enough. Posting a 9-year-old video of one dunk vs. UConn is something else entirely. She knows exactly what people are saying and exactly how that will play.

The fact that she would resort, under these circumstances, to posting something like that says a lot, in my opinion, about why she didn't make the team this time.

Reaction Score
That video is of an extreme low point in UCONN history. She is pouring salt in a very deep wound, and one that we never had an opportunity to avenge. Although most on this board agree she should have been selected for the Olumpic team, that reminder may challenge our objectivity from here on out.
That is what you considered an extreme low point in UConn history? There were seasons before Geno, and not even mediocre ones, so where do those rate?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fans don't love LeBron James - they admire him and are in awe of his talent. As for peoples' feelings about him - he's perpetually in the Top 10 most disliked athletes lists. Michael Jordan, however, is widely beloved a decade after playing his last game.

The mens game and the womens game have two completely different fan bases. What the younger, predominantly male fans want to see is different from the older men, young families, and female spectators. I don't know that they're looking for the same experiences when they go to games.

Not eveything that's female needs to be like the male version to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom