Parker off Olympic team? | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure she's throwing a little shade. I just don't think it's a big deal.
I would not have had a problem with CP video if this was an initial reaction. A few days after the news broke makes her look bitter than her initial reaction where she stated she respected the decision.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She can't have a little fun with it by posting some highlights for a #tbt? She didn't make a particular comment with them. You can have an idea of what her intent *might* be but that's your projection onto an innocuous video.
I don't have a problem with her posting it, but that was NOT an innocuous video.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
same reason you want us to care about your opinion... and if you didn't want us to care why post it, keep it to yourself
Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep. I don't care what you think of my opinion. Take it or leave it. We post on here. Does she? Then why should we care about her opinion?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She's hurt...

It happened....

To my way of thinking, anger, frustration, finding some way to get back at whom she deems the culprit, childish...even funny
Not of any consequence.

Pales in comparison with her being left off the team, after promoting it at USA BB's request:
(They certainly didn't anticipate her not being on the team when she was shooting commercials).

And the laughable attempt at a coverup.
These people are a public relations nightmare.
Reminds me of Gilda Radner

Is it any wonder that the league barely survives...paying coolie wages.

Reaction Score
Clearly there is more going on with this situation. Why don't people just spill the beans already.. just air it out there... I'm tired of people weighing in just to give little jabs and indirect messages... If you're going to mention it... then mention it... This is not directed at the boneyarder's :) This is directed at USA Basketball, CP, Tina Thompson, etc... and those other twitter posters...

Reaction Score
This is a real shocker. Candace figured to be one of the shoo-ins.

But do people really not understand that it's the selection committee that selects the players, not the coach?
If you think that you are pretty naive.

Reaction Score
Your position doesn't make sense given what USA BB has done in the past, i.e., putting one very young, recent college graduate on a team of more experienced players. USA BB did that in 2004 with Taurasi who had just graduated from college. USA BB did that in 2008 with Parker who had just graduated from college. USA BB did that with Maya Moore though she was one year out of college. What USA BB is doing with Stewart is exactly what it did with Taurasi, Parker and Moore.
But did they have to leave a superstar off the team to do it?

Reaction Score
It seems pretty obvious that you are not going to agree with me. She has put in many hours with USA basketball. I'm not saying others haven't but you can not say she has not been dedicated. She didn't play much oversees last season because she wanted to spend time with family and to get ready for the Olympics.

Parker Balances Basketball, Family
One of the major things Coach K put in when he took over, was the NBA players had to be totally committed to being on the team. Players who for whatever reason weren't able to participate in all aspects of the training were taken out of the pool of eligible players. There was no I can't play in the world games because I'm injured, but I'll play in the Olympics.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Apples, oranges & bananas. CP is PF and occasionally SF. Angel is SG and occasionally SF.
Not to you, but she was mentioned as someone who might have been left off for CP.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But did they have to leave a superstar off the team to do it?
It was already in the plan from the vision of this year's team. It was discussed during the Final Four when Beth Mowins noted at 5:32 of the 3rd period against Oregon State game that Breanna was expected to be the college student put on the team. So without any regard to the inclusion or exclusion of Candace Parker Stewie was going to be on the team.

The issue really isn't Stewie vs Candace, it is Candace vs Angel, Catchings, EDD, Tina, Fowles or Griner. Again I ask the question, "What was USA Basketball trying to accomplish FOR THE TEAM with that selection and how did the three above fulfill those needs better than even Candace?"

How does Candace or any of those players strengthen or weaken the team?

Consider shooting %s (efficiency)
3pt %s: spread the floor
Assists: share the ball
Rebounding Defensive (controlling opponents second chances and easy clean up hoops)
Rebounding Offensive (gaining second chances and putting the ball back in or getting to the line)
Post strength body check defense (stop opponents bigs from getting to the low block)
Perimeter defense (controlling shot quality whether 3s or slashing to the hoop)
Defensive rotation (quickness to proper position avoiding a foul, not just blocking a shot)
On ball defense (Keeping a player in front of you and not making a teammate vulnerable on rotation)
Foul shooting
Propensity to get in foul trouble
International experience (understanding the difference in how the game is called)
Previous experience with USA Basketball

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is what you considered an extreme low point in UConn history? There were seasons before Geno, and not even mediocre ones, so where do those rate?
What is the term used for American pre-western history ... pre-columbian I believe - that about sums it up! :)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
This is the attitude that will keep the game from growing. So what if Candace has an attitude? So what if DT has an attitude? So what if Angel has an attitude? And the list goes on. Set it aside and put the best talent on the floor. There's a reason the men's game flourishes. Use their attitudes to advance the game by growing the audience. The audience loves the flare and swag that these players bring to the court. They love their edginess. Do you think everyone loved Michael Jordan? Some couldn't stand the guy. Or Kobe? Or Lebron?

So, look up Isiah Thomas' stats from the '92 Dream Team. I'll wait.

Oh, you can't find them? That's weird. He was a perennial All-Star and one of the NBA's best point guards. How could he have not been selected for the '92 Olympic team?

Oh, you found this quote from Magic Johnson about him: "Isiah killed his own chances when it came to the Olympics. Nobody on that team wanted to play with him."

Huh. Maybe sometimes attitude does matter?

(Which is not to say is the case here, simply that it is the case sometimes.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Another consideration to add to the list above in playing offensive ball and critical for all players is for them to continually set screens of all types within the offense. This is something constantly occurring in every UCONN game. Posts particularly must continually set high and low, up and down screens.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Stumbled into this editorial from the Lady Vols perspective this morning. Blame my morning Bing report.

Was Candace Parker Railroaded from Team USA by Geno Auriemma?

Note from his perspective she's the greatest player in the world and for sure the WNBA. :eek:

This article is utterly asinine, from the first word. It reeks of the sixth-grade playground sense of entitlement and relevancy that so often oozes from Tennessee fans - but a writer should know better, even in an opinion piece.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wait, I'm confused why are you talking about Elena Delle Donne? This is supposed to be about CP.
Friday morning links: Elena Delle Donne out for FIBA World Championships, 2014 WNBA Finals TV ratings, Big East TV schedule

I know you're just being funny but Elena's back was so in terrible shape after that season. She had a bulging disk that was so bad she was basically just a decoy in the Eastern Finals. And when she wasn't in the game she was lying down being stretched by trainers.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with her posting it, but that was NOT an innocuous video.

I get a dictionary definition of innocuous as "Not harmful or offensive". Posting a highlight isn't harming anything (besides maybe her chances of future USAB selection) and I don't think it's offensive except perhaps to the sensibilities of those who already don't like her. Reasonable minds can disagree, though, especially on issues of semantics.

Reaction Score
"Geno was in the hospital for most of last week, so who knows much input he had in selecting the team, but he should give an explanation as to why Parker was left off."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was already in the plan from the vision of this year's team. It was discussed during the Final Four when Beth Mowins noted at 5:32 of the 3rd period against Oregon State game that Breanna was expected to be the college student put on the team. So without any regard to the inclusion or exclusion of Candace Parker Stewie was going to be on the team.

Not sure we want to take Beth Mowins word for gospel. If CP was not a lock to make this team I fail to see how Beth could determined that Stewie was a lock.
I also disagree with your premise that Candace was competing with Tina, Fowles or Griner for a spot because they are centers not PF and Angel is not a PF.
So based on the explanation from the selection committee- "PF was the strength of the team" and CP fell short that would leave her competing with Stewie, EDD, & Catch?.

If you were to evaluate CP against Stewie, EDD, & Catch against the statically categories you mentioned she would win these categories overwhelmingly:
  • Assists: share the ball
  • Rebounding Defensive (controlling opponents second chances and easy clean up hoops)
  • Rebounding Offensive (gaining second chances and putting the ball back in or getting to the line)
  • International experience (understanding the difference in how the game is called)
  • Previous experience with USA Basketball
If you were to evaluate CP against Stewie, EDD, & Catch against the statically categories you mentioned she would be competitive in these categories:
  • Consider shooting %s (efficiency)
  • Post strength body check defense (stop opponents bigs from getting to the low block)
  • Perimeter defense (controlling shot quality whether 3s or slashing to the hoop)
  • Defensive rotation (quickness to proper position avoiding a foul, not just blocking a shot)
  • On ball defense (Keeping a player in front of you and not making a teammate vulnerable on rotation)
  • Foul shooting
  • Propensity to get in foul trouble
If you were to evaluate CP against Stewie, EDD, & Catch against this category she would finish dead last :
  • 3pt %s: spread the floor
@easttexastrash has already proposed this as a possible reason for the exclusion of CP and @meyers7 has endorsed it. I agree with both of them. If the selection committee puts a premium of long range shooting then CP is not the one when compared to EDD and Stewie. But please don't make it out like CP was going to lose on any other statistical basis and especially not these.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Geno was in the hospital for most of last week, so who knows much input he had in selecting the team, but he should give an explanation as to why Parker was left off."
Disagree strongly that Geno should give this explanation. He was not part of the "published" USA basketball selection committee.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not his place to make that explanation but it is indeed USA Basketball's job to do.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I get a dictionary definition of innocuous as "Not harmful or offensive". Posting a highlight isn't harming anything (besides maybe her chances of future USAB selection) and I don't think it's offensive except perhaps to the sensibilities of those who already don't like her. Reasonable minds can disagree, though, especially on issues of semantics.
Oh it was meant to be offensive. I'm ok with that, but let's call it what it is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So, look up Isiah Thomas' stats from the '92 Dream Team. I'll wait.

Oh, you can't find them? That's weird. He was a perennial All-Star and one of the NBA's best point guards. How could he have not been selected for the '92 Olympic team?

Oh, you found this quote from Magic Johnson about him: "Isiah killed his own chances when it came to the Olympics. Nobody on that team wanted to play with him."

Huh. Maybe sometimes attitude does matter?

(Which is not to say is the case here, simply that it is the case sometimes.)
If I could like this post 1,000 times I would. It appears there are 2 issues with Candace, and if you look at Icebear's questions regarding what she brings to the team, maybe 3.
  1. She scheduled her surgeries to minimize the time off with regards to making $$ in the WNBA and overseas, but it caused her to miss the 2010 AND 2014 World Championships
  2. Unconfirmed rumor deleted by mod
  3. When you look at the other 4/5 players on the team, in spite of Parker's all around greatness, she may not match up favorably with the players chosen ahead of her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom