Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There needs to be some soul searching on how they put those teams together. Either the 3x3 is an afterthought or is the US truly trying to get the gold...i can think of at least 4 players who would have been great in this format (Arika, Paige, Clark and Juju) and better than who was sent. I understand that there was a limited pool of players to choose from because of the rules so the US needs to send teams on a regular basis to ensure enough good players are eligible.
JMHO for whatever it’s worth, USA Basketball needs to start putting effort into 3x3. I’ll leave it up to those getting the paycheck to decide what that means and how to get there. More training camps? Widening the pool for more players to get experience? I think it’s so silly that we have all this talent in the US and do so well continuously on 5x5 that we can’t replicate that success with 3x3.

Reaction Score
Spain beats Puerto Rico 63-62. Another strong game for Gustafson in a tight battle. 18 points and 13 rebounds.
It’s stupid and completely against the spirit of international competition to let teams essentially sign free agents. Gustafson has no connection to Spain beyond they scouted her and said, “Hey, wanna passport?”

Reaction Score
We should just let the Azerbaijan federation pick our 3 on 3 team. They have players from Florida, Texas, and Pennsylvania.

Reaction Score
JMHO for whatever it’s worth, USA Basketball needs to start putting effort into 3x3. I’ll leave it up to those getting the paycheck to decide what that means and how to get there. More training camps? Widening the pool for more players to get experience? I think it’s so silly that we have all this talent in the US and do so well continuously on 5x5 that we can’t replicate that success with 3x3.
Hopefully someone else can help clarify, but isn't the points and selection system in place the same one used in Tokyo? The US won gold and I don't recall the selection committee being second guessed back then.

Don't forget, the US won the 3x3 championships last year. That team included Brink, Burdick, Van Lith and Harper.

How wide of a pool is required? USA Basketball has ongoing 3x3 competitions in Colorado Springs and the pool seems very wide from what I've seen. They seem to mix in college players and pro players from what I've watched. When I compare what the US is doing to what Canada does, it looks extensive.

Losing Brink definitely set the team back a bit but I think Hamby has done an admirable job. Maybe this go around, it didn't work out? Looking at the potential in the wings, like the U23 squad that played during all-star weekend, I think the US will be fine.

Reaction Score
It’s stupid and completely against the spirit of international competition to let teams essentially sign free agents. Gustafson has no connection to Spain beyond they scouted her and said, “Hey, wanna passport?”
I get your point, but in some cases I don't have an issue with it. I look at the men's team from South Sudan. Majority of those players come from families who had to leave the country to find a better life out of desperation. They're taking advantage of the opportunity to compete and represent their homeland for their families.

Several of these players likely wouldn't get a chance to play for the country they immigrated to. I look at a Montreal kid like Shayock and I know his chances making the Canadian squad are slim. I respect his decision.

That team has been solely funded by former Blue Devil and NBA player Loul (sic) Deng. They are a great example of the Olympic ideal as they doing whatever they can to be competitive with the limited resources they have.

They've represented themselves well and have given their home country something to root for. It's also helping to grow the game in Africa which is starting to pay off. If I recall correctly, one player will be a freshman at Duke this year.

And for players like Gustafson, Vander Sloot, etc., who also have dreams of competing at the Olympics what should they do? Their opportunities via the US process are nil. Maybe for a country like Spain, it shouldn't be possible but for a lot of these other countries, having them on those rosters doesn't seem like it's ruining the sport to me.

Reaction Score
USA WBB beats France 14-13 in 3 x 3
Now stand at 2-3
Play a tough Canada team later this morning(9am PDT) is the time the Olympic site says is the starting time
Looking forward to this match up. The US look like they're starting to click. Should be a fun one!

Reaction Score
Hopefully someone else can help clarify, but isn't the points and selection system in place the same one used in Tokyo? The US won gold and I don't recall the selection committee being second guessed back then.

Don't forget, the US won the 3x3 championships last year. That team included Brink, Burdick, Van Lith and Harper.

How wide of a pool is required? USA Basketball has ongoing 3x3 competitions in Colorado Springs and the pool seems very wide from what I've seen. They seem to mix in college players and pro players from what I've watched. When I compare what the US is doing to what Canada does, it looks extensive.

Losing Brink definitely set the team back a bit but I think Hamby has done an admirable job. Maybe this go around, it didn't work out? Looking at the potential in the wings, like the U23 squad that played during all-star weekend, I think the US will be fine.
You bring up good points, but I guess that’s why I’m confused as to why we went from gold last time around to struggling so much this time around. I don’t know. I humbly admit maybe I’m just ignorant and don’t know what I’m talking about here.

Reaction Score
You bring up good points, but I guess that’s why I’m confused as to why we went from gold last time around to struggling so much this time around.
Which is totally fair considering things. US fans are used to seeing their country dominate in basketball. It's the equivalent of Canadian fans when Canada doesn't win gold in hockey. It doesn't seem right even though it's entirely possible.

Reaction Score
1. Most European and Asian teams play together longer than the US team. Yes, some of their players are in the W, but obviously not the percentage of the US. Takes a game or two to gel better and get used the the mauling that FIBA allows. Thomas would be well suited to that. LOL - and 3/4 of Europe takes the summer off and are able to pack the stands for a hostile environment. The US knows there's a target on their backs.
2. The US really needs to assess their choices for the 3x3 teams - both men & women. I can't imagine this in LA in 2028.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
USA WBB beats France 14-13 in 3 x 3
Now stand at 2-3
Play a tough Canada team later this morning(9am PDT) is the time the Olympic site says is the starting time
Thanks for reporting this early-morning game. Huuuge win for U.S. to try to get into that 4-team battle for the third and fourth slots.
Will need to check out the Canada team.

U.S. has admitted that they were trying to acclimate to each other (remember, three of the four had played with each other, then Brink went down). Maybe they'll get on a run with a few games under their belt.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
1. Most European and Asian teams play together longer than the US team. Yes, some of their players are in the W, but obviously not the percentage of the US. Takes a game or two to gel better and get used the the mauling that FIBA allows. Thomas would be well suited to that. LOL - and 3/4 of Europe takes the summer off and are able to pack the stands for a hostile environment. The US knows there's a target on their backs.
2. The US really needs to assess their choices for the 3x3 teams - both men & women. I can't imagine this in LA in 2028.
There was a pretty robust discussion on who was available/who was not when the team was selected and after Brink went down with an injury. Right now, FIFA has pretty strict rulings on player rankings, which basically get down to the fact that WNBA/international players have a hard time finding time to qualify for attaining these points (and, is it worth it?).

Knowing this, I suspect there's two ways to go:

1) Work the system and see if the ranking system can be loosened up a bit, allowing for less appearances for top-flight players.
2) If not possible, widen. study and winnow the pool of available players to have a robust group. Given how 3x3 and 5x5 players pools are known and pushed on a continual basis, this would strike me as adding some more personnel and fiscal resources on the administrative aspects.

The U.S. won in Tokyo with a solid group of WNBA vets, that also included a last-minute substitute (Jackie Young).
I'm still scratching my head about why Allisha Gray, a vet of that team who was not chosen for the 5x5 team, is not on this year's 3x3 team. (Not all Dream players can step in and nail a first-year assignment).

Reaction Score
Thanks for reporting this early-morning game. Huuuge win for U.S. to try to get into that 4-team battle for the third and fourth slots.
Will need to check out the Canada team.

U.S. has admitted that they were trying to acclimate to each other (remember, three of the four had played with each other, then Brink went down). Maybe they'll get on a run with a few games under their belt.
A couple notes to help you in your research:

• Michelle and Katherine Plouffe are long time veterans in the Canada Basketball program
  • Played for Utah in college
  • both play overseas in the French league
  • were both part of the Canadian 5x5 teams for London and Rio
  • Opted to move to 3x3 and have been on the circuit for at least 3 years or more
  • Along with, Paige Crozon, they have been one of the more consistent teams on the FIBA 3x3 circuit
  • Katherine suffered an ACL last year which impacted Canada's performance on the circuit in 2023 (Still amazed she's back in time to compete)

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I'll be honest. I haven't enjoyed watching basketball (men's or women's; 5x5 or 3x3) during Paris 2024. Hopefully all four teams pick it up, but so far--a HUGE dud. Hopefully both 5x5 teams win gold and we see a surprise gold or two from 3x3, but the excitement just isn't there for me. The women's 5x5 team, especially, is hard to watch with terrible 3-point shooting, poor guard play, questionable coaching, and obvious favoritism.

Women's soccer, women's gymnastics, swimming--all fantastic! Track and field will be exciting to watch as well.

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I know it won't sit well with most of my fellow BYers, but I'll ask again, why Is DT on this team? Legacy? Ugh!

Perhaps that beaming smile she flashes when her teammates pick up after her is what some would call leadership?

To me, it's more like the guilty cat that swallowed the canary, knowing she got away with one being named to this team. She'll get her sixth gold medal, but it most likely won't be deserved...
She's there for 3-point shooting and vibes. So far, the 3-point shooting hasn't been there, so...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A couple notes to help you in your research:

• Michelle and Katherine Plouffe are long time veterans in the Canada Basketball program
  • Played for Utah in college
  • both play overseas in the French league
  • were both part of the Canadian 5x5 teams for London and Rio
  • Opted to move to 3x3 and have been on the circuit for at least 3 years or more
  • Along with, Paige Crozon, they have been one of the more consistent teams on the FIBA 3x3 circuit
  • Katherine suffered an ACL last year which impacted Canada's performance on the circuit in 2023 (Still amazed she's back in time to compete)
Crozon played at Utah too. That's kinda crazy the Canadian 3X3 team all played college ball at the same place. I don't think I realized there was a third Plouffe sister. Andrea played at Washington.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I thought only one of the Plouffe sisters played at Utah. I think the other one played at a mid west team, maybe NWestern or Purdue?

Note--Katherine played at Marquette, just looked it up.

They had an older sister, Andrea, that played at Washington

Reaction Score
I thought only one of the Plouffe sisters played at Utah. I think the other one played at a mid west team, maybe NWestern or Purdue?

Note--Katherine played at Marquette, just looked it up.

They had an older sister, Andrea, that played at Washington
Thanks for the correction. For some reason I keep forgetting they played at different programs.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The U.S. won in Tokyo with a solid group of WNBA vets, that also included a last-minute substitute (Jackie Young).
I'm still scratching my head about why Allisha Gray, a vet of that team who was not chosen for the 5x5 team, is not on this year's 3x3 team. (Not all Dream players can step in and nail a first-year assignment).
Yeah, I’m scratching my head wondering how USA Basketball didn’t find a place for Allisha on one team or the other. I’ve thought the world of her since I first saw her. You’ll never convince me she wouldn’t be playing better than Howard is. And if you’re going to take seven guards, I think she’d be a logical choice since she doesn’t mind mixing it up under the basket.

Reaction Score
You bring up good points, but I guess that’s why I’m confused as to why we went from gold last time around to struggling so much this time around. I don’t know. I humbly admit maybe I’m just ignorant and don’t know what I’m talking about here.
I believe the standard became more strict for this Olympic cycle. They didn't have the same rules about two players being in the top 10 in rankings for your country and the other two being top 50.

That Tokyo team consisted of 4 legit WNBA players that knew their roles. The current standings for 2024 didn't really have that great of options.

This tweet was the best list I could find of what most of the top 50 consist of.

It seems as though Team USA goal going forward is to encourage more WNBA players to play 3x3 to ensure they are ranked well come Olympics time.

Reaction Score
The world gets to see our (Minnesota Lynx fans) frustration with Coach Reeve and how she goes about her lineups and player minutes. As a coach, it is tough blending talents. In the end you want five players on the floor that can play as a unit. It might be your most talented five out there but you want five that are going to blend their skillset well out there and AT is one of those players that should be getting starter minutes. A'ja and Stewie are solid as starters. The other three right now, iffy. We will see what happens in this Germany game.

Reaction Score
I believe the standard became more strict for this Olympic cycle. They didn't have the same rules about two players being in the top 10 in rankings for your country and the other two being top 50.

That Tokyo team consisted of 4 legit WNBA players that knew their roles. The current standings for 2024 didn't really have that great of options.

This tweet was the best list I could find of what most of the top 50 consist of.

It seems as though Team USA goal going forward is to encourage more WNBA players to play 3x3 to ensure they are ranked well come Olympics time.
Not sure if you were implying this but the Unrivaled league could be another way where this would be addressed going forward.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you were implying this but the Unrivaled league could be another way where this would be addressed going forward.
Unrivaled could be good practice for that, but I think the points come from FIBA sanctioned events. I should have said * what Team USA should do, is encourage more WNBA players to play 3x3 to ensure they are ranked well come Olympics time. I just realized how that read earlier. I have no clue if they are actually doing that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Doubt it will be unless someone is able to find a source from Spain, who are hosting these games. CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) have all the Olympics broadcasting rights for anything related to Canada Basketball.
Sounds a little like SNY, not allowed to post their games on YouTube either.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m scratching my head wondering how USA Basketball didn’t find a place for Allisha on one team or the other. I’ve thought the world of her since I first saw her. You’ll never convince me she wouldn’t be playing better than Howard is. And if you’re going to take seven guards, I think she’d be a logical choice since she doesn’t mind mixing it up under the basket.
When you think of the ball handling guards from Tokyo to Paris, you have Plum and Gray vs Van Lithe and I am not sure who the second USA guard is on this team. If Van Lthe sits, on the rotation in and out, who is the USA ball handler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom