Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

As a child of immigrants from this country, this is so cool to see. Dominica is a very tiny island that has limited resources to support high performance athletics. Wish my parents were both alive to see this happen. They were both huge fans of track and field events.

Always love to see these "firsts" -- I believe Julien Alfred's dominant gold medal performance in the 100m gave St. Lucia its first ever Olympic medal as well.

Reaction Score

More adventures of Snoop Dog, this time with Martha Stewart.

Missed this yesterday. Drat. Used to ride equestrian and I enjoy watching dressage. There's something about how the horse and rider working in tandem that fascinates me.

Snoop out there living his best life! What a joy he has been to watch during the Olympics. His whole video with Michael Phelps is hilarious and worth a watch.

Reaction Score
Snoop out there living his best life! What a joy he has been to watch during the Olympics. His whole video with Michael Phelps is hilarious and worth a watch.
Hopefully they'll have a YouTube video that chronicles everything he's done in detail. He genuinely enjoys sports and I think he's done a great job providing the US Olympics squads a lot of exposure.

At the same time, this isn't surprising to me. He does so much for sports back in the US. Glad NBC and Snoop partnered up for this.

Reaction Score
I need to hear Snoop up there in one of the boxes doing game commentary, please!!

For those looking for something different to watch, check out the replay for the finals for the women’s skeet shooting. USA takes home bronze and it was a thrilling shoot-off for the gold.

Reaction Score
Scottie Scheffler does Scottie things by shooting 62 in the final round to win Olympic gold, by a stroke over Tommy Lad and Hideki Matsuyama.

It was heartwarming to see the usually quite stoic Scheffler break into tears as the Star Spangled Banner was played.:cool:

Amazingly, that was just the third gold won by an American man so far in the Olympics (none in swimming).

Last edited:

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I know I've been critical of Jackie at times this season, but there's no way that the coaching staff sees her in practice and then sees this performance and come to the conclusion that, "yup--that's our 12th woman!" :rolleyes:

Some people may be clamoring for the "A'ja and Stewie Show", but having a bona fide third option would really make this team unstoppable. Doesn't have to be Jackie. It could be Phee, BG, AT (the likeliest choice), KP, Sabrina--but it has to be someone.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gray and Taurasi were benched for the entire second half. In fact I don't think they played after Q1. They were both completely ineffective, and the team got off to a terrible start. That's happened at least 2 of the 3 games. Both should be replaced in the starting lineup. Seems beyond obvious. I don't care who else starts. Could be Ionescu and Loyd or Young. Plum certainly shouldn't be the last player to enter the game. I can't find a +/- for this game, but I'll just about guarantee she led the team in that regard today.

Reaction Score
Gray and Taurasi were benched for the entire second half. In fact I don't think they played after Q1. They were both completely ineffective, and the team got off to a terrible start. That's happened at least 2 of the 3 games. Both should be replaced in the starting lineup. Seems beyond obvious. I don't care who else starts. Could be Ionescu and Loyd or Young. Plum certainly shouldn't be the last player to enter the game. I can't find a +/- for this game, but I'll just about guarantee she led the team in that regard today.
Plum and Young were a +26.
Thomas a +29

Reaction Score
Thomas a +29
I seem to recall the two players most questioned for being picked were DT and Gray, who clearly wasn't back in her best playing shape coming off injury.

Those who defended those picks don't have to say anything, but at least think to yourself that there might have been ample reason for those critiques.

Reaction Score
I know I've been critical of Jackie at times this season, but there's no way that the coaching staff sees her in practice and then sees this performance and come to the conclusion that, "yup--that's our 12th woman!" :rolleyes:

Some people may be clamoring for the "A'ja and Stewie Show", but having a bona fide third option would really make this team unstoppable. Doesn't have to be Jackie. It could be Phee, BG, AT (the likeliest choice), KP, Sabrina--but it has to be someone.
Options A and B are sufficient. Aja and Brianna.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thomas a +29
I was thinking about +25 for Plum, so I was really close. That was in only 15 minutes, imagine if she would've played more. But yeah Thomas had a good game too, she really changed the momentum when she came in and played tough D and disrupted Germany.

Reaction Score

Jackie had a solid game. Her and Copper had a nice showing out there. I still think that there needs to be an adjustment with the starting lineup though. When that 2nd unit came in for Team USA, the energy changed up offensively and defensively. On a side note, when Phee and Coach Reeve get back to Minnesota, I better not hear anything about Phee dealing with "plantar fasciitis". Out there logging 25 minutes? Phee better massage them feet. Slap some Dr. Scholl's arch support up in them sneakers! The Lynx need her :)

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Thomas a +29
I take back everything I said about AT earlier. She has been the key to our whole turnaround in both games 2 and 3 - smothering defense gets us fast break opportunities, which gets our offense in rhythm. She, Jackie Young, and KP should be starting for Collier, DT and Gray. Gray is still not her pre-injury self, and I'm honestly not sure why DT is on this team. It's kind of appalling that she's taking a spot from any of our young guards who could benefit from the experience.

Reaction Score
I know the coaching staff breakdown the game later in the day. They have to see how the team flows and where the energy comes from. I would definitely swap DT, Gray, and Phee out. AT should be in that starting unit with A'ja and Breanna, but we will see what happens going forward.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I take back everything I said about AT earlier. She has been the key to our whole turnaround in both games 2 and 3 - smothering defense gets us fast break opportunities, which gets our offense in rhythm. She, Jackie Young, and KP should be starting for Collier, DT and Gray. Gray is still not her pre-injury self, and I'm honestly not sure why DT is on this team. It's kind of appalling that she's taking a spot from any of our young guards who could benefit from the experience.
25-10 second quarter for the U.S. and 28-17 in the third for the Yanks. And those three you mention were omnipresent during those stretches. Young is not as visible a disruptor as Alyssa Thomas, but she makes players work very hard for anything, which tires them out. And Ms. Young does not wear out, like Thomas. JY had 4 steals to go with 5-8 shooting from three.

LaChina Robinson made a comment that the U.S. coaching staff was bringing Chelsea Gray along slowly to round into form. Say what?
This is the most visible tournament in the world which is entering the one and done stage. I appreciate Ms. Gray's play in the past, but it's clear she's not up to snuff at this point and the fact that the U.S. is handling the point guard position by committee is wild. The Selection Committee didn't consider this: looks like they hoped for the best and didn't prepare for the worst. Luckily I think A'Ja Wilson, Stewie, Alysa Thomas, Jackie Young, Kelsey Plum et al will get it done.

Reaction Score

Awesome angle of the 100M race from the BBC. Apparently the NBC angles didn't provide this view and there was confusion on their end. The analysis from Michael Johnson is top notch.

I wish I could find a video of the real-time BBC call of the race, but they're geolocked and I don't have a VPN. NBC's commentary desk really flubbed the call of the race.

Reaction Score
Ask the committee who invited DT to join the team why she's there. It's not like Dee had the last word on joining. She's played basketball her entire life. And a lot of it was for her country. If the committee says ok, I don't have a problem with it. She's #12 on the roster and will probably end up playing the fewest minutes, outside those who might be injured, anyway.
The USA Olympic committee did the same thing last Olympics with Catchings.
I don't remember anyone accusing Catch of being selfish.

Reaction Score
I finally just watched the game. Per my comment from the last game, I noticed that Jackie Young looked really good in the mop up time. It seems like the coaches noticed too and I predict that she is going to get the most minutes of the guards from here on out. I'm also shocked that Plum had a great game, which now that I think of it, it is kind of expected because she is such hot/cold player.

DT and Gray just need to sit and be the team moral support from here on out. I think the other guards can more than make up for their loss...

I like the idea of starting Ionescu, Young, Collier, Wilson, and Stewart. Ionescu and Young can share the PG responsibility. I want to start Thomas but I think the second unit will need her skills at the point. Honestly though, I wish someone like Mabrey was on this team. She would have been a perfect starter at the wing. I don't like how we are using forwards at the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom