Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I seem to recall the two players most questioned for being picked were DT and Gray, who clearly wasn't back in her best playing shape coming off injury.

Those who defended those picks don't have to say anything, but at least think to yourself that there might have been ample reason for those critiques.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Canoe Slalom is ridiculous and not worthy of being an Olympic event.

In the Semi-Final a guy knocked the gate out of the way with his paddle, giving the guy behind him zero chance to make the same gate.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was listening to Kevin Durant following the U.S. beating Puerto Rico and he was asked about having all 12 players get in the game and he noted that it was becoming apparent they had two different groupings that played different styles. Both were effective against various lineups.

It struck me that the Thomas/Young/Plum (& later, Copper) grouping did very well against Germany, while Stewie and A'ja pretty much took care of Belgium . (Stewie and A'ja played well against Germany, too, but having the Thomas/Young/Plum trio shine took some pressure off). It will be interesting to see what grouping best addresses the challenges of Nigeria on Wednesday.

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I like the idea of starting Ionescu, Young, Collier, Wilson, and Stewart. Ionescu and Young can share the PG responsibility. I want to start Thomas but I think the second unit will need her skills at the point. Honestly though, I wish someone like Mabrey was on this team. She would have been a perfect starter at the wing. I don't like how we are using forwards at the 3.
I actually prefer AT to Phee in that proposed lineup, especially if Phee isn't going to be shooting (or hitting) the three. AT brings so much defensive intensity that she could really help this team set the right tone from the onset. I don't mind Ionescu starting, but if she's going to be in the starting lineup, I'd prefer that there be a more aggressive defender on the perimeter with her (Jackie's not enough). Phee is obviously a good defender, but AT is more disruptive on that end.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the US can snag a medal.
Yeah....well, ummmm........ if we switch "US" with Canada, I'd be okay with that. ;):D

The key to this match up will be how aggressive each team is defensively. It's been a weak spot for Canada as seen in their game against the US in pool play, and against Germany in the semis.

Pulling for the Plouffe sisters here. Long time Canada Basketball stalwarts in the 5x5 program getting another chance to earn a medal. They're great examples of commitment and hard work for all athletes.

Reaction Score
Yeah....well, ummmm........ if we switch "US" with Canada, I'd be okay with that. ;):D

The key to this match up will be how aggressive each team is defensively. It's been a weak spot for Canada as seen in their game against the US in pool play, and against Germany in the semis.

Pulling for the Plouffe sisters here. Long time Canada Basketball stalwarts in the 5x5 program getting another chance to earn a medal. They're great examples of commitment and hard work for all athletes.
Baby Hat GIF

Congrats to the US for grinding this out for the bronze. Canada's weak spot got the best of them.

Personally, Van Lith looks to be a natural for this format of basketball. She showed that her selection was a logical one based on her play.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

As Kyle Montgomery (3x3 commentator) said at the end of the game, "They shut them down like a laptop!"

For me the 3x3 action was just meh but Kyle and his similes and metaphors were golden.

Reaction Score
As Kyle Montgomery (3x3 commentator) said at the end of the game, "They shut them down like a laptop!"

For me the 3x3 action was just meh but Kyle and his similes and metaphors were golden.
Had the Canadian broadcast and it was a different perspective. Former 3x3 circuit vet Michael Linklater pointed out Canada's propensity to get into foul trouble was the reason. Tracking the scoring, it's a valid point as the bonus helped the US get back to a tie at a couple key points.

It's a combination of both in my opinion. The US did grind it out in the end, but Canada's inability to stay out of foul trouble helped.

Reaction Score
I actually prefer AT to Phee in that proposed lineup, especially if Phee isn't going to be shooting (or hitting) the three. AT brings so much defensive intensity that she could really help this team set the right tone from the onset. I don't mind Ionescu starting but if she's going to be in the starting lineup, I'd prefer that there be a more aggressive defender on the perimeter with her (Jackie's not enough). Phee is obviously a good defender, but AT is more disruptive on that end.
I agree 100%! Phee is awesome but she does not bring that intensity for this stage. AT matches the physicality of the European players and dishes out a little more just for good measure. Will it work all the time? Heck nobody knows. But we do know that when AT is playing bully ball, nobody likes it. She can dish out the punishment and take it. AT's intensity on both ends of the floor, especially on the defensive end, just sets the tone. You could see during the Germany game the other day. AT was trying to trap at every opportunity! Her ability to play relentless basketball is what sparks the USA offense.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Baby Hat GIF

Congrats to the US for grinding this out for the bronze. Canada's weak spot got the best of them.

Personally, Van Lith looks to be a natural for this format of basketball. She showed that her selection was a logical one based on her play.
I just got done watching replays of both the loss to Spain (in OT, uggh...) and the win over Canada. Van Lith continually uses that left-handed drive to the basket and does a very good job of positioning her body between the shooting hand and the opponent. Most of her baskets are one-pointers.

After that 0-3 start, the U.S.A. members said they just needed minutes to get the chemistry and the results in the rest of the pool play and the knock-out stages certainly showed they were right. Congrats on bringing home a medal.

(Sorry @cancontent :( )

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I really wish we didn't have to play each other. I was pulling for y'all in all of your non-US matchups. I always thought this Canadian team had some of the best chemistry in the field. Hopefully we're both on the podium come 2028.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Baby Hat GIF

Cheer up. The Winter Olympics start in less than 24 months :D:eek:;)

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I agree 100%! Phee is awesome but she does not bring that intensity for this stage. AT matches the physicality of the European players and dishes out a little more just for good measure. Will it work all the time? Heck nobody knows. But we do know that when AT is playing bully ball, nobody likes it. She can dish out the punishment and take it. AT's intensity on both ends of the floor, especially on the defensive end, just sets the tone. You could see during the Germany game the other day. AT was trying to trap at every opportunity! Her ability to play relentless basketball is what sparks the USA offense.
Yes! AT had Satou in handcuffs. It was truly a sight to see.

Reaction Score
USWNT moves on to play either Brazil or Spain in the soccer gold medal game. Right now Brazil has the lead 1-0 after a shocking accidental goal (Spanish keeper tried to kick it out of the box but it ricocheted off her own teammate and into the goal).

Reaction Score
USWNT moves on to play either Brazil or Spain in the soccer gold medal game. Right now Brazil has the lead 1-0 after a shocking accidental goal (Spanish keeper tried to kick it out of the box but it ricocheted off her own teammate and into the goal).
Is this a sign of the soccer gods wanting Marta to have a chance at a medal in her final Olympics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom