Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The world gets to see our (Minnesota Lynx fans) frustration with Coach Reeve and how she goes about her lineups and player minutes. As a coach, it is tough blending talents. In the end you want five players on the floor that can play as a unit. It might be your most talented five out there but you want five that are going to blend their skillset well out there and AT is one of those players that should be getting starter minutes. A'ja and Stewie are solid as starters. The other three right now, iffy. We will see what happens in this Germany game.
The USA has had 2 bad 1st quarters, and 1 bad start to the 3rd quarter.
There needs to be a change to the starting lineup. That needs to change, and I don't know if anyone is willing to see the change made.
They do that against France and they might lose.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USA beats Canada in OT 18-17
First time USA has scored more than 17 pts in prelim round.
USA now 3-3 and should make the next round.

I believe the USA has one more Prelim round game, vs China today.
Not sure of the start time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The rules on 3x3 player selection really hamstrings the use of 'great' basketball talent - the players themselves have to want to enter 3x3 tournaments during off season vs. playing overseas or making money doing other things in the US. And the 3x3 skill set/mentality isn't quite the same as 5x5 - it can be 'complementary' but not the same.

The US men's team is a perfect example - these are not basketball stars, but guys who have fully committed to 3x3.

As far as the Women's 5x5 - they have played two very different opponents and had different players step up in support of A'ja and Stewie. AT and Collier both proved their worth against Belgium where height and the ability to defend the whole court were a premium. While scoring is always important I thought Loyd's defense was the key to her selection as with Copper.

Every team that plays USA is going to try to 'ugly-up' the game because they know that is their one chance of winning and they are going to rely on tossing threes up in hopes of having one of 'those nights'.

While USA is still bringing the most talent, the biggest difference isn't in the other top teams, but in the bottom half of the teams at the Olympics - more talent, better coaching.

The group stage is also a chance for experimentation and working on chemistry. I like this team, but they do not yet have that go to outside shooter to punish teams packing the paint.

Reaction Score
USA wins an entertaining 3x3 game against Canada in OT thanks to Howard's clutch 2 pt shot. Will the angst over this roster die down a bit now? ;):p
Relaxed Chill Out GIF by VH1

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The rules on 3x3 player selection really hamstrings the use of 'great' basketball talent - the players themselves have to want to enter 3x3 tournaments during off season vs. playing overseas or making money doing other things in the US. And the 3x3 skill set/mentality isn't quite the same as 5x5 - it can be 'complementary' but not the same.

The US men's team is a perfect example - these are not basketball stars, but guys who have fully committed to 3x3.

As far as the Women's 5x5 - they have played two very different opponents and had different players step up in support of A'ja and Stewie. AT and Collier both proved their worth against Belgium where height and the ability to defend the whole court were a premium. While scoring is always important I thought Loyd's defense was the key to her selection as with Copper.

Every team that plays USA is going to try to 'ugly-up' the game because they know that is their one chance of winning and they are going to rely on tossing threes up in hopes of having one of 'those nights'.

While USA is still bringing the most talent, the biggest difference isn't in the other top teams, but in the bottom half of the teams at the Olympics - more talent, better coaching.

The group stage is also a chance for experimentation and working on chemistry. I like this team, but they do not yet have that go to outside shooter to punish teams packing the paint.

I agree. The rules require experience at 3x3, but the reality is that the top tier players play 5x5. The marginal talents gravitate to 3x3 because they get cut from the W.

Looking at 3x3, I’d like to see a team with A’ja, Stewie, Nneka, and Paige. They would beat any 3x3 team in Paris.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I agree. The rules require experience at 3x3, but the reality is that the top tier players play 5x5. The marginal talents gravitate to 3x3 because they get cut from the W.

Looking at 3x3, I’d like to see a team with A’ja, Stewie, Nneka, and Paige. They would beat any 3x3 team in Paris.
Per your 3x3 All-Star Team, we can all dream, right? ;)
Heck, I thought the Tokyo personnel of Stef Dolson, Allisha Gray, Plum and KLS/Jackie Young was just fine.

If Cameron Brink hadn't had the misfortune to blow out an ACL, I think this team would've had smoother sailing in the beginning because three of the team had played/were familiar with each other (Howard being the exception). Knock on wood, the extended pool games breed familiarity and -- knock on half-court -- it looks like they're getting the proverbial act together. If they can get into the playoffs, good.

I still subscribe to my two-tier plan in an earlier post: try to work FIBA and get the stringent qualification rules loosened; and, or come up with a system to put more players into the 3x3 pool.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
One other thing about the 3 x 3 events. There is no "in game" coaching.
Coaches are allowed to sit in the stands but cant coach the team.
If adjustments have to be made, on both O and D, you better have some players with High BB IQ's who know how to make the adjustments, and relay it to the other players.

Reaction Score
One other thing about the 3 x 3 events. There is no "in game" coaching.
Coaches are allowed to sit in the stands but cant coach the team.
If adjustments have to be made, on both O and D, you better have some players with High BB IQ's who know how to make the adjustments, and relay it to the other players.
Stewie, A'ja, Clark, and Paige would destroy the competition.

Reaction Score
I get your point, but in some cases I don't have an issue with it. I look at the men's team from South Sudan. Majority of those players come from families who had to leave the country to find a better life out of desperation. They're taking advantage of the opportunity to compete and represent their homeland for their families.

Several of these players likely wouldn't get a chance to play for the country they immigrated to. I look at a Montreal kid like Shayock and I know his chances making the Canadian squad are slim. I respect his decision.

That team has been solely funded by former Blue Devil and NBA player Loul (sic) Deng. They are a great example of the Olympic ideal as they doing whatever they can to be competitive with the limited resources they have.

They've represented themselves well and have given their home country something to root for. It's also helping to grow the game in Africa which is starting to pay off. If I recall correctly, one player will be a freshman at Duke this year.

And for players like Gustafson, Vander Sloot, etc., who also have dreams of competing at the Olympics what should they do? Their opportunities via the US process are nil. Maybe for a country like Spain, it shouldn't be possible but for a lot of these other countries, having them on those rosters doesn't seem like it's ruining the sport to me.
South Sudan guys have familial connection and some were even born with dual citizenship. Clearly different than the situation I was criticizing.

Reaction Score
I believe the standard became more strict for this Olympic cycle. They didn't have the same rules about two players being in the top 10 in rankings for your country and the other two being top 50.

That Tokyo team consisted of 4 legit WNBA players that knew their roles. The current standings for 2024 didn't really have that great of options.

This tweet was the best list I could find of what most of the top 50 consist of.

It seems as though Team USA goal going forward is to encourage more WNBA players to play 3x3 to ensure they are ranked well come Olympics time.
Changing the roster rules after Tokyo makes it pretty clear the entire purpose is to give a basketball gold to anybody but the US.

Either change qualification to by players, like beach volleyball, or let qualifying nations name anyone they want.

Reaction Score
South Sudan guys have familial connection and some were even born with dual citizenship. Clearly different than the situation I was criticizing.
I did note "some" situations. And like I said about Gustafson and others, I also get why they look at playing for other countries. If they don't have a realistic option through their home country and can help another nation, I get it. For countries like Spain, France, and the US (Embid), where they have a good development pipeline, it shouldn't be allowed though.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Back in 2008, a 31 year old Becky Hammon played for Russia. She had no ties to the country.
I believe, then USA coach Anne Donovan lambasted her for that decision.

Reaction Score
Looking at 3x3 game results:

Team Canada destroyed Team Australia, 21-10.

Team USA seems to have things figured out. They beat China, 21-13.

It would be pretty impressive if Team USA can win their next match up (Spain) and make it to the Finals of 3x3 and play the winners of the Canada/Germany matchup.

Reaction Score
“Making up a team at the last minute” is how team sport rosters are decided in international competition.

FIBA decided on a weird hybrid where nations, not players qualify, but you have to follow these pre-reqs which transparently exist solely to hamstring the US and, to a lesser extent, other basketball powers. THAT is called poor sportsmanship.

Stg, I do not understand you HOA types who get off on supporting managerialism for the sake of managerialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom