Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Welp...Canada 0-2 after losing 70-65 to Australia. The likelihood of the team making the quarterfinals are very slim at this point. Considering the hype around the potential of this team, this is a disappointing performance for this side of the Canada Basketball program.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm just going to start routing for Tiff and her Azerbaijan team
They're playing right now against Germany, for anyone who wants to watch.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Welp...Canada 0-2 after losing 70-65 to Australia. The likelihood of the team making the quarterfinals are very slim at this point. Considering the hype around the potential of this team, this is a disappointing performance for this side of the Canada Basketball program.
Agree. They and the U.S. 3x3 are not what one would've expected at this juncture.

Reaction Score
Good win today but we still have a lot to clean up if we are going for another gold. I thought Thomas and Young showed their worth today. I hope Young gets more minutes, and Plum/Loyd get less...

Stewie was the player of the game today!
Agreed re Stewie, GamecockFarm, she was outstanding.

A'ja turned in a 23 and 13 game, too, although she turned it over a bunch of times. No matter who else is on the court with them, it's nearly all about that duo.

I know it won't sit well with most of my fellow BYers, but I'll ask again, why Is DT on this team? Legacy? Ugh!

Perhaps that beaming smile she flashes when her teammates pick up after her is what some would call leadership?

To me, it's more like the guilty cat that swallowed the canary, knowing she got away with one being named to this team. She'll get her sixth gold medal, but it most likely won't be deserved...

My favorite minutes today were Napheesa hitting back to back to re-open a tenuous U.S. lead.

Go, USA!

Reaction Score
Agreed re Stewie, GamecockFarm, she was outstanding.

A'ja turned in a 23 and 13 game, too, although she turned it over a bunch of times. No matter who else is on the court with them, it's nearly all about that duo.

I know it won't sit well with most of my fellow BYers, but I'll ask again, why Is DT on this team? Legacy? Ugh!

Perhaps that beaming smile she flashes when her teammates pick up after her is what some would call leadership?

To me, it's more like the guilty cat that swallowed the canary, knowing she got away with one being named to this team. She'll get her sixth gold medal, but it most likely won't be deserved...

My favorite minutes today were Napheesa hitting back to back to re-open a tenuous U.S. lead.

Go, USA!
The trio from Phoenix don't fit at all on this team. Griner is a shell of herself, and unless they play zone can' t defend anyone. We knew DT coudn't play defense, and she really shouldn't be on the floor starting.
Bring her off the bench after the team has established a lead.
DT after all these years should realize this, and ask to come off the bench.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I should be used to it by now, but I'm continually astounded at the level of physicality allowed in FIBA. The game felt at times more like a frenetic form of roller derby with a shot clock.

I shudder to think wehere we'd be without Stewie and A'ja. Others played key roles today (particularly Thomas and Ionescu) but no doubt those two are carrying us night in and night out.

Reaction Score
I should be used to it by now, but I'm continually astounded at the level of physicality allowed in FIBA. The game felt at times more like a frenetic form of roller derby with a shot clock.

I shudder to think wehere we'd be without Stewie and A'ja. Others played key roles today (particularly Thomas and Ionescu) but no doubt those two are carrying us night in and night out.
It's always been more like a rugby scrum then basketball.
It's like the NBA was back when Wilt played, very physical in the paint.

Reaction Score

Personally, I have no issues with FIBA rules. It's been the standard in Canada for decades starting at U13/U14. The roller derby description has me chuckling though.

Reaction Score
It's always been more like a rugby scrum then basketball.
It's like the NBA was back when Wilt played, very physical in the paint.
I agree, baggerbob, but was thinking more along the lines of the Laimbeer/Mahorn Pistons?

Reaction Score
Wow...the power of social media and the Flavor Flav effect.

This US athlete tweeted earlier that she was struggling to pay rent while training to compete. It went viral has Flavor Flav and Alexis Ohanian (Serena Williams husband) tagged and now she's covered and can compete stress free.

Love these types of stories!!!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The roller derby description has me chuckling though.
roller derby GIF by Warner Archive

Reaction Score
Good one.

But seriously my US b-ball fans, what exactly is wrong with FIBA rules, outside of "physicality"? There are components of it that I prefer over US/NCAAW rules which I think would help the game overall. From talking to friends with their kids who have been recruited by NCAA programs, coaches seem to like the fact they've been coached under those rules.

And regarding physicality, I really think that it's a matter of perception. Some of these NCAAW games don't seem any different from my perspective.

Reaction Score
Ionescu’s long three and fingertip “shhh” at the end of the game screams unsportsmanlike.

Reaction Score
No, I don't think so. 1) Point differential matters in these games and 2) When a crowds been loudly booing you all game its plenty sportsmanlike to shush them. This is basketball, not ballet. Its a part of the game.
It was a Belgian friendly crowd due to the location's proximity to the country. Not surprised she reacted this way. Ionescu has done this in Liberty games and I don't think anyone batted an eye then.

Reaction Score
I agree, baggerbob, but was thinking more along the lines of the Laimbeer/Mahorn Pistons?
Wilt in the 100 point game was 36 out of 63 in field goals, and 28-32 at the free throw line. You had Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, Walt Bellamy, Bob Lanier among others back then.
A lot of big people in a small area.

Reaction Score
Griner is not what she used to be, which can be expected with what happened. But I'm not sure she deserved to be on this team. I know Boston wasn't playing spectacular at the beginning of the season, but I feel like her or B Jones could have been on this team. Too many guards and wings.

Wilson and Stewart are the two beat players in the world. And they are carrying the team. USA has really talented guards on the roster. The minutes should be resdistributed. Young should be getting more minutes than Taurasi.

Reaction Score

While it's nice to see Canada still has a chance, it sucks that point differential is in play :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom