Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Spain beats Puerto Rico 63-62. Another strong game for Gustafson in a tight battle. 18 points and 13 rebounds.

Nice to see Guirantes bounce back with a better game. Lead the team with 15 points.
Megan is such an awesome player. I am glad that she is balling out in these games.

Reaction Score
Her evolution as a player since graduating has been impressive. Recall there was skepticism about her game translating at the pro level. Glad to see she has proved those naysayers wrong.
I never got why folks were questioning her ability when she first got into the WNBA. Her first year with Dallas, she got something like 4-8 minutes a game. Maybe 2-4 shot attempts. Year 2, she barely played. I would have to go back and check some games on that one, but she is among the list of players that gets drafted, but they fall into the situation of solid player, but wrong team, wrong coach, and not the right fit by the team that drafted them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Snoop has to get himself a Katie Ledecky shirt now. After disappointment in the 400 free, she smoked the field in the 1500, and set an Olympic record despite the slow/shallow pool.

I heard this factoid on the radio while out shopping: Katie hasn't lost a 1500 race in 14 years. That's over half her life. I think that's longer than Edwin Moses's undefeated stretch in the 400 hurdles.

Reaction Score
Snoop has to get himself a Katie Ledecky shirt now. After disappointment in the 400 free, she smoked the field in the 1500, and set an Olympic record despite the slow/shallow pool.

I heard this factoid on the radio while out shopping: Katie hasn't lost a 1500 race in 14 years. That's over half her life. I think that's longer than Edwin Moses's undefeated stretch in the 400 hurdles.
Who knows? Maybe she's next. ;)

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
Looks like 3x3 lost again--this time, to Azerbaijan! :eek:

Tip Hayes balled out!!!!!

As for Team USA's failures, we can blame Hailey Van Lith until we're all blue in the face. But Hailey Van Lith (and Cierra Burdick) won a world title last year with Cam Brink. Maybe we should start blaming the other two (especially the injury replacement)?

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I don't really have any issues with Hailey Van Lith's play to this point. She is what she is--and she's been one of the better players for Team USA. She's also the youngest player on the team, so there is an expected learning curve.

With respect to Rhyne Howard, she's been terrible--perhaps the worst player (by far) on Team USA. No arguments there. She needs to pick it up--and fast.

With respect to Dearica Hamby, I don't think her play has been the issue. She can obviously hoop. The issue is more of the chemistry variety. I know that this team would look a lot different with Cam Brink on it due to the chemistry she has with Van Lith (and Burdick). She (Hamby) was the most obvious fill-in when Brink went down with the knee injury, so I can see why she was selected.

But I'm really wondering about some of Hamby's intangibles, specifically leadership and likability. Is she a leader? She is one of the oldest players on the team, but that may not mean much. Do her teammates actually like her (or do they just tolerate her while she's on a team)? Is she a likable person in general? She is said to be quite friendly with Liz Cambage, so maybe that answers my questions.

Reaction Score
Looks like 3x3 lost again--this time, to Azerbaijan! :eek:

Tip Hayes balled out!!!!!

As for Team USA's failures, we can blame Hailey Van Lith until we're all blue in the face. But Hailey Van Lith (and Cierra Burdick) won a world title last year with Cam Brink. Maybe we should start blaming the other two (especially the injury replacement)?
Watched the replay tonight (didn’t see it live) and read the comments here and I stand corrected about Hailey Van Lith. She’s not really the problem with the 3x3 team.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
have not watched the 2nd 3x3 game but in the first it was clear that Van Lith and Hamby were carrying the team, Burdick not doing much, and Rhyne Howard should not have been there due to injury. Every single shot was was off, and her movement non-existent. That was on staff for not replacing her, as they did Cam.

Reaction Score
There needs to be some soul searching on how they put those teams together. Either the 3x3 is an afterthought or is the US truly trying to get the gold...i can think of at least 4 players who would have been great in this format (Arika, Paige, Clark and Juju) and better than who was sent. I understand that there was a limited pool of players to choose from because of the rules so the US needs to send teams on a regular basis to ensure enough good players are eligible.

Reaction Score
There needs to be some soul searching on how they put those teams together. Either the 3x3 is an afterthought or is the US truly trying to get the gold...i can think of at least 4 players who would have been great in this format (Arika, Paige, Clark and Juju) and better than who was sent. I understand that there was a limited pool of players to choose from because of the rules so the US needs to send teams on a regular basis to ensure enough good players are eligible.
How much experience do those players have in 3x3?

Alisha Gray.

However. I wouldn't mind us going all college level (or NBA rookies) if we are not all worked up about winning gold.

As an oldtimer, I enjoyed the Olympics more when we were sending out amateurs to face the rest of the world in all sports. Nothing, to me, will ever compare to beating the Russians in hockey. We won a lot of mbb medals with college kids before "the dream team."

Reaction Score
How much experience do those players have in 3x3?

Alisha Gray.

However. I wouldn't mind us going all college level (or NBA rookies) if we are not all worked up about winning gold.

As an oldtimer, I enjoyed the Olympics more when we were sending out amateurs to face the rest of the world in all sports. Nothing, to me, will ever compare to beating the Russians in hockey. We won a lot of mbb medals with college kids before "the dream team."
I do think Paige played 3x3 for team USA with Katie Lou Samuelson a few years back. So not no experience, though its a moot point since none of those 4 players were eligible for Paris anyways.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The team that was originally selected (with Brink) had 3 of the 4 players who won gold at the 3x3 World Cup last year. Losing Brink not only removed a key piece of the formula but has come at a huge cost in terms of chemistry. Hamby is doing her best as a last-minute replacement but the team has no cohesion. Rhyne Howard played catastrophically bad in the first 2 games and just doesn't have that hustle factor that 3x3 requires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom