Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A great opening round team win. Everybody scored and a great 35 assists on 42 field goals. I still think our perimeter defense leaves a lot to be desired but we were still able to dominate without anyone playing more than 26 minutes.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Japan is an oddball matchup internationally. Crazy style. When the USA play Germany and the other teams the matchups may require different groups of players. I imagine Stewie and A'ja will continue to be the big minutes players.

Reaction Score
Neither are career journalists, since they write those news reports. All I can say is it’s a very sad state of affairs.
Agreed! I think that's what I said, or at least was trying to...

Reaction Score
A'ja, Stewie, Gray, Plum, Sabrina are the best combination on the floor. First people off the bench should be Collier, Young, Loyd, Griner, Copper, Thomas, and DT.
I might be with you about that quintet.

I thought Napheesa looked quite rusty and mostly was ineffective. I'd guess she'll get better.

Loyd did about what I expected her to do... virtually nothing except for throwing up shots as soon as she had the chance.

Even with 13 assists, most of them flipping the ball into A'ja, Stewie or Griner, Chelsea Gray did not impress me. She and DT were incapable of playing defense against Japan's quickness. The latter seemed more concerned with smiling - on or off the court - and showing how happy she is playing in her sixth Olympiad than contributing to the cause.

Still, it's likely Stewie and A'ja are just too good for the rest of the world.

Reaction Score
I might be with you about that quintet.

I thought Napheesa looked quite rusty and mostly was ineffective. I'd guess she'll get better.

Loyd did about what I expected her to do... virtually nothing except for throwing up shots as soon as she had the chance.

Even with 13 assists, most of them flipping the ball into A'ja, Stewie or Griner, Chelsea Gray did not impress me. She and DT were incapable of playing defense against Japan's quickness. The latter seemed more concerned with smiling - on or off the court - and showing how happy she is playing in her sixth Olympiad than contributing to the cause.

Still, it's likely Stewie and A'ja are just too good for the rest of the world.
But Gray, Plum, and Sabrina showed the feistiness needed in FIBA games.
Japan committed probably twice as many fouls as were called, but you have to play through them.
The other players need to get tougher as the tournament goes on.
But you are right Stewie and A'ja are better then the test of the world.

Reaction Score
I thought Copper looked like she could be the best perimeter defender. She was disruptive in the few short minutes she was on the court. I wish she didn't get hurt in the first half.

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
A'ja, Stewie, Gray, Plum, Sabrina are the best combination on the floor. First people off the bench should be Collier, Young, Loyd, Griner, Copper, Thomas, and DT.
No way should those two play major minutes together unless we want every decent guard in the tournament to have an Arike moment.

Phee, AT, or Kah should start so that we have a chance of slowing down someone on the perimeter.

Of course, we wouldn't have this problem if Allisha Gray was given more than a glance for this team.

Reaction Score
I thought Copper looked like she could be the best perimeter defender. She was disruptive in the few short minutes she was on the court. I wish she didn't get hurt in the first half.
Offensively she doesn't fit well on this team, too much one on one, the team has to go through A'ja, and Stewie.
And the 2nd half DT sat along with Loyd, no one else is going to try to run with the USA team.
The women Announcer kept saying you can't let Japan speed you up, but the 2nd half that's when they blew it open, Stewie got 2 or 3 layups bearing Japan down the floor.

Reaction Score
I'm so excited about the US women's rugby 7s team playing for a chance at a medal tomorrow.

In Olympics past they have ranked 5th and 6th. They have improved a lot from Tokyo and at least have a good shot to get bronze, if not pull off a massive upset to play in the finals. If you haven't ever watched rugby 7s, it's a very fun sport and you should give it a chance!!

Reaction Score
I'm so excited about the US women's rugby 7s team playing for a chance at a medal tomorrow.

In Olympics past they have ranked 5th and 6th. They have improved a lot from Tokyo and at least have a good shot to get bronze, if not pull off a massive upset to play in the finals. If you haven't ever watched rugby 7s, it's a very fun sport and you should give it a chance!!
Rugby 7s have been very entertaining. The physicality and speed of the game is unreal! Love it!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For those who have been around for a while ... Did you notice Kerith Burke doing the sideline reporting? She is now with the Golden State Warriors broadcast team. I mention her, because she was at SNY as the UConn WBB sideline reporter before Maria Marino and before Justine Ward.

Reaction Score
I just finished watching the live recording of the men's gymnastics competition from this morning. That was probably my favorite event so far. I was pumped! They're such a fun team to watch and easy to cheer for. USA! USA! USA! USA!

Reaction Score
I just finished watching the live recording of the men's gymnastics competition from this morning. That was probably my favorite event so far. I was pumped! They're such a fun team to watch and easy to cheer for. USA! USA! USA! USA!
They're doing a condensed version of the team's competition right now. It's not bad but there was something magical about watching the US team interacting between events in the unedited showing. The team chemistry is undeniable.

Reaction Score
US women’s rugby 7s will now play in the bronze medal match after losing to New Zealand in the semis 24-12. Nothing but pride for the US though, having played a staggering powerhouse so close. This was not an easy win for NZ and the US is the only team so far in the Olympics to score 2 tries against them. The US has the athletic ability to play with anyone, they just lack experience and the same amount of skill. That will come as the sport grows.

Let’s go USA!! Bring home the first rugby medal!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I really like the new-look women's soccer team. The one place where the team had suffered in the last several years is putting the ball in the net. They were so dominant in the midfield, absolutely dominate time with the ball, but would wind up winning 1-0 or drawing because they'd miss shots or lose the ball close to the goal.

This team doesn't seem to dominate the midfield as much, but boy they can score. And they seem to be playing with way more joy than they did under Vlatko.

Reaction Score
A shock elimination in the tennis as Coco Gauff is sent home after an emotional moment on the court arguing over a call as Donna Vekic of Croatia ends Gauff's hopes of three gold medals at the games.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Offensively she doesn't fit well on this team, too much one on one, the team has to go through A'ja, and Stewie.
And the 2nd half DT sat along with Loyd, no one else is going to try to run with the USA team.
The women Announcer kept saying you can't let Japan speed you up, but the 2nd half that's when they blew it open, Stewie got 2 or 3 layups bearing Japan down the floor.
If we were to reroster based on what we know now, and recent trends from the first half of the W, here's who I'd substitute:

Nneka (if she were eligible) for Collier: Napheesa is obviously still dealing with her injury. She looks hesitant moving and I think should just rest. Right now she's a shadow of who she was at the start of the season. But she and Neeka do so many of the same things well, and I think both are such complements to either Stewie or A'ja.

Hambey for AT: love me some AT, but she's an awkward fit with such a loaded frontcourt, and she is effectively playing the three most of the time, but without any outside shooting skills to play as a wing, leaving her nothing to do. Hambey is that complete package of a power forward who could pivot between the 3 and 4 seamlessly.

Arike for Loyd: Can't have both, but boy is Arike streaking while Loyd is flatlining. Plus I actually think Arike is the better distributor and defender now.

McBride for Copper: as others noted, Copper is an amazing 1 on 1 player, but she's a bad fit when our team runs through A'ja and Stewie. I think McBride would feast from beyond the arc, and our team apparently seems to need three point shooting. (ASG Alisha Gray would also fit the bill here, and also provide outstanding D.)

Reaction Score
A shock elimination in the tennis as Coco Gauff is sent home after an emotional moment on the court arguing over a call as Donna Vekic of Croatia ends Gauff's hopes of three gold medals at the games.
Disappointing, although the 'controversy' occurred after her opponent had already taken a lead in the match... Vekic recently made it to the Wimbledon semis, so she's been playing well.

Reaction Score
If we were to reroster based on what we know now, and recent trends from the first half of the W, here's who I'd substitute:

Nneka (if she were eligible) for Collier: Napheesa is obviously still dealing with her injury. She looks hesitant moving and I think should just rest. Right now she's a shadow of who she was at the start of the season. But she and Neeka do so many of the same things well, and I think both are such complements to either Stewie or A'ja.

Hambey for AT: love me some AT, but she's an awkward fit with such a loaded frontcourt, and she is effectively playing the three most of the time, but without any outside shooting skills to play as a wing, leaving her nothing to do. Hambey is that complete package of a power forward who could pivot between the 3 and 4 seamlessly.

Arike for Loyd: Can't have both, but boy is Arike streaking while Loyd is flatlining. Plus I actually think Arike is the better distributor and defender now.

McBride for Copper: as others noted, Copper is an amazing 1 on 1 player, but she's a bad fit when our team runs through A'ja and Stewie. I think McBride would feast from beyond the arc, and our team apparently seems to need three point shooting. (ASG Alisha Gray would also fit the bill here, and also provide outstanding D.)
Excellent commentary, The Farm Fan... I'll add only that Hambey will have an excellent chance to get a gold medal in 3x3, but Nneka will again get shut out despite being one of women's basketball's best players (and sportswomen) for many years.

I'm sorry for Napheesa her contributions likely will be minimal. I just hope her Olympics action doesn't hurt her when she's back with the Lynx.

Reaction Score
Excellent commentary, The Farm Fan... I'll add only that Hambey will have an excellent chance to get a gold medal in 3x3, but Nneka will again get shut out despite being one of women's basketball's best players (and sportswomen) for many years.

I'm sorry for Napheesa her contributions likely will be minimal. I just hope her Olympics action doesn't hurt her when she's back with the Lynx.
We'll have to get out of pool play first. Yikes.

Reaction Score

The real problem which is showing up was taking 7 guards. Thomas is only effective if both Stewie and A'ja are on the floor. She also slows the team down when she is bringing the ball up.
This team needs a fast pace to be most effective, and take the most advantage of
A'ja, and Stewie's speed up and down the floor.
Collier not being healthy makes it worse, and Griner isn't the player she was the last Olympics. So you have 2 effective front court players.
Hopefully Collier can give them something in the knockout round.
They don't need her against Belgium or Germany, so rest her, and hope she gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom