Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You’re so right, God help us. Has the Vatican commented yet?
I didn't think they were "bad", but they were not my favorite of all time.

The most controversial piece is probably being misinterpreted, since it was based on Greek mythology, not Christian history. But any time you do something that can be misinterpreted, you have failed to represent your art clearly. Shame for that.

The rest was mostly too long, really.

Thank goodness for the actual games.

Reaction Score

The most controversial piece is probably being misinterpreted, since it was based on Greek mythology, not Christian history. But any time you do something that can be misinterpreted, you have failed to represent your art clearly. Shame for that.

Good point.

Reaction Score

What does The Last Supper have to do with Greek Mythology?

Reaction Score

Serbia squeaks it out against Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico's leading scorer is a senior at Grand Canyon State University. Would not have expected that.

Reaction Score
The model in blue was an interpretation of the Greek god Dyionisus. Like the previous poster said, it wasn't a good job in expressing their art.

It's matter of agree to disagree/to each their own as I mentioned in an earlier post. This thread is will likely get locked if we keep discussing this specific topic.

Reaction Score
Good point.
Hopefully, cancontent, you meant you have been taking in the remarkable breadth of wonderful sports action from the Olympics. It seems most here are still laser focused on their opening ceremonies critiques and have not noticed the Games are well underway.

Over the past two days, I've enjoyed watching women's mountain bike, men's and women's soccer, equestrian eventing from the palace at Versailles, archery, kayaking, swimming, beach volleyball, heck, even surfing from Tahiti... and very likely a few others! (I didn't bother watching the US men vs. Serbia in basketball).

If one can get past her or his partisanship for the US, you might have reveled as I did in the joy of the thousands on hand well outside of Paris who cheered on French cyclist Pauline Ferrand Prevot as she romped to victory over a crazy mountain biking course built just for the Olympics. She was in tears as she finished the roughly 35-kilometer course and was still emotionally charged as she accepted her gold medal about a half-hour later.

To me, that's the Olympics. Naysayers can try their darnedest to tear down the Games, and there are plenty of reasons to criticize them, but I love them, and can't wait for all that remains in the next 14 days (including, of course, our Huskies and their women's basketball teammates tipping off Monday).

As I said earlier, 'Go, USA! Go, world!'

Reaction Score
Likely very little, CONN78SEJ.

Yet the Feast of the Dionysus, which was portrayed in the opening ceremonies, is directly from Greek mythology. In the city of Paris, on opening day of the Olympics (which were created by the Greeks), it seems to me that was a pretty cool way to encourage people to get along, to revel in life, and not to seek out dissent. In other words, chill!;)

Reaction Score
Hopefully, cancontent, you meant you have been taking in the remarkable breadth of wonderful sports action from the Olympics. It seems most here are still laser focused on their opening ceremonies critiques and have not noticed the Games are well underway.

Over the past two days, I've enjoyed watching women's mountain bike, men's and women's soccer, equestrian eventing from the palace at Versailles, archery, kayaking, swimming, beach volleyball, heck, even surfing from Tahiti... and very likely a few others! (I didn't bother watching the US men vs. Serbia in basketball).

If one can get past her or his partisanship for the US, you might have reveled as I did in the joy of the thousands on hand well outside of Paris who cheered on French cyclist Pauline Ferrand Prevot as she romped to victory over a crazy mountain biking course built just for the Olympics. She was in tears as she finished the roughly 35-kilometer course and was still emotionally charged as she accepted her gold medal about a half-hour later.

To me, that's the Olympics. Naysayers can try their darnedest to tear down the Games, and there are plenty of reasons to criticize them, but I love them, and can't wait for all that remains in the next 14 days (including, of course, our Huskies and their women's basketball teammates tipping off Monday).

As I said earlier, 'Go, USA! Go, world!'
Yes and no.

The no part: In my post you replied to, I was agreeing about the poor execution of the concept for their idea.

The yes part: Unfortunately I'm not as eloquent as you in your reply. There's so much to watch and appreciate with respect to athletic skill. And then there are the stories behind these accomplishments.

Watched a Canadian fencer Eleanor Harvey earn a bronze. She had planned on retiring after Tokyo but decided against it. The expression on her face here is what the event is about. There still are plenty of moments of this type of joy to discuss over the next couple weeks.

Reaction Score
Likely very little, CONN78SEJ.

Yet the Feast of the Dionysus, which was portrayed in the opening ceremonies, is directly from Greek mythology. In the city of Paris, on opening day of the Olympics (which were created by the Greeks), it seems to me that was a pretty cool way to encourage people to get along, to revel in life, and not to seek out dissent. In other words, chill!;)
The news reports stated they were mocking The Last Supper. It said nothing about a Greek version.

Reaction Score
The news reports stated they were mocking The Last Supper. It said nothing about a Greek version.
Ehh...they're kissing cousins, in a way. Remember that what most people think of, visually, as "The Last Supper" was a painting drawn by a (possibly gay? not that there's anything wrong with that) Italian about 1500 years after the fact. The Renaissance artistic culture at that time drew heavily from ancient Roman and Greek imagery and themes, not unlike the way our entertainment culture will nostalgically draw upon previous decades.

Bottom line is, these are tangled webs we're weaving.

Reaction Score
Yes and no.

The no part: In my post you replied to, I was agreeing about the poor execution of the concept for their idea.

The yes part: Unfortunately I'm not as eloquent as you in your reply. There's so much to watch and appreciate with respect to athletic skill. And then there are the stories behind these accomplishments.

Watched a Canadian fencer Eleanor Harvey earn a bronze. She had planned on retiring after Tokyo but decided against it. The expression on her face here is what the event is about. There still are plenty of moments of this type of joy to discuss over the next couple weeks.

Congrats to your countrywoman, cancontent! I missed that one but you described it well. Thanks for the feedback. I hope this thread is full of such stories in coming days.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My newest hero is Suni Lee. She was so sick she had to drop out of school, and it took them months to diagnose her with two incurable kidney diseases. More time to find effective treatment. Barf buckets at practices and occasionally competitions when she returned.

Now she’s back to being a world-class gymnast.

Reaction Score
As a career journalist, I can tell you that news reports aren't always factual... I'm sure you already knew that. Sadly, they're getting worse as time passes.
Neither are career journalists, since they write those news reports. All I can say is it’s a very sad state of affairs.

Reaction Score

Congratulations to Nigeria! Their first win at the Olympics in 20 years and it's against the Opals of Australia. Haven't read the boxscore that closely however turnovers and frees throws look to be the culprits.

Turnovers - Australia had 26 compared to 15 for Nigeria.

Free Throws - Australia was 8/18 compared to Nigeria's 18/21.

Reaction Score
Let's not talk anymore about the opening ceremony please. I can feel the tension behind everyone's words and it's just a matter of time before it devolves into political talk. I don't want this thread closed. If you wish to discuss your likes and dislikes about the opening ceremony, please start a new thread. Please and thank you!

Reaction Score
My newest hero is Suni Lee. She was so sick she had to drop out of school, and it took them months to diagnose her with two incurable kidney diseases. More time to find effective treatment. Barf buckets at practices and occasionally competitions when she returned.

Now she’s back to being a world-class gymnast.
Seeing all she went through and then came back to be competing at the highest level … brought a tear to my eye watching her last night. The human spirit is remarkable.

Reaction Score
A very close match between the US and Spain in women’s field hockey ends in a 1-1 draw. At one point the US appeared to have the go-ahead goal but it was called back upon video review, unfortunately.

Not a terrible showing from the US so far in the Olympics, all things considered. We are not as advanced in field hockey as many other countries and have a young team and new-ish coach.

Reaction Score
Well, it's finally here! The USWNT is playing it's first game against Japan at 9 pm in France (3 pm EST). I'm hyped. I'll be recording and ignoring this thread at 3 so I don't get spoiled by those who are watching it live.

How good is Japan? Do they have any height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom