Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you're talking about Christyn, I agree that she's going to be really, really good. Maybe a NPOY contender (along with Lauren Cox, Chennedy Carter, and Young/Ionescu if either stays in college) as soon as next year. As good as Christyn is, I think Paige is even better. Hard to fathom, but true. They will be unbelievable together.
Hopefully Paige will be a recruiter. She will be very good and with a team-first attitude, great when surrounded by similar level talent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully Paige will be a recruiter. She will be very good and with a team-first attitude, great when surrounded by similar level talent.
All Paige needs to do is drop a handful of well placed dimes to her teammates on USA basketball and they will figure out pretty quickly that playing on Paige’s team has its advantages.

Reaction Score
Did you notice in the video that she is turning to choose her move on defense before her feet even hit the floor from making her shot!

Reaction Score
I agree. Lets not discount Williams and ONO, I really do believe they will be spectacular going forward. Look at how KLS and Pheesa blossomed sophomore year when they had too. I love Paige, but lets not forget about our two freshman.

ONO needs help in the paint. She needs a partner, the way that Breanna Stewart had Kiah Stokes and Morgan Tuck. And look at how devastating Baylor is with Cox and Brown.

Need bigs. Really need bigs!

Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno was the master mind behind this whole "timing thing"...with Paige's approval of course. :rolleyes:

mbr33ct, I think there is something to the timing of her commitment announcement. I believe that her's is a deliberate attempt to help Geno and UCONN recruiting. While doing so she also helps herself. It will be interesting to see what kind of a draw she is. She knows everybody and certainly they know her.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I also wonder if she'll be one of those (and Azzi Fudd strikes me this way, too) who makes their decision earlier so the circus can conclude and they can concentrate on just playing basketball.

I posted this about a week and a half ago on the recruiting thread and I still think it's true. I suspected that as soon as she made her decision, she was going to just make it known so it all would end. There are a lot of kids who want the hype and the buildup to the grand reveal on signing day. They want to keep going on the visits and being courted by coaches all over the country. Then there are kids who just want to play basketball.

She struck me as the latter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I posted this about a week and a half ago on the recruiting thread and I still think it's true. I suspected that as soon as she made her decision, she was going to just make it known so it all would end. There are a lot of kids who want the hype and the buildup to the grand reveal on signing day. They want to keep going on the visits and being courted by coaches all over the country. Then there are kids who just want to play basketball.

I suspect she just might sign her NLI on the hood of her dad’s car. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
mbr33ct, I think there is something to the timing of her commitment announcement. I believe that her's is a deliberate attempt to help Geno and UCONN recruiting. While doing so she also helps herself. It will be interesting to see what kind of a draw she is. She knows everybody and certainly they know her.
If you are a good player, do you want to play with a great PG who will get you the ball in scoring position regularly? I sure think so.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

I suspect she just might sign her NLI on the hood of her dad’s car. :cool:

It's also kind of less of a national news story when UConn gets its seemingly 100th #1 recruit. Jones to Stanford was a bigger story because Stanford rarely lands the top recruit; y'all seem to do it basically every year. Easy to take that story for granted. (And for the fan bases of every other program in the country to want to ignore it!)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec has a story out after talking to Paige last night. Maybe someone can link it as I’m at work.
"Paige Bueckers had given her oral commitment to attend UConn to women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma awhile ago, she said, but waited until Monday to turn to Twitter and make her decision public."

Reaction Score
This is a tremendous get by HCGA. You know he sees the potential. He went hard after Paige because he knows that this a HUGE recruit for the program. He picks and chooses. The players that he really feels are essential to the program, he tends to get. I love the highlight reel. Great handle, can shoot off the bounce, and has great passing skills. The kid does seem to be the type of kid that others want to play with. We will see if some of the teammates from that group (especially Miss Fudd) follow her. This commitment may quiet the "Geno's on the way out...can't recruit because of the AAC...doesn't want to recruit anymore because he's near retirement" rumblings that we have all seen and read. Hopefuly this commitment guarantees at least five more years of HCGA at UConn.
Geno lost 10 years off his age on April 1.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's also kind of less of a national news story when UConn gets its seemingly 100th #1 recruit. Jones to Stanford was a bigger story because Stanford rarely lands the top recruit; y'all seem to do it basically every year. Easy to take that story for granted. (And for the fan bases of every other program in the country to want to ignore it!)
Make no mistake about it, Paige Bueckers commitment to UConn is BIG news for UConn fans. The suggestions that she just wants to play basketball and might sign the NLI on the hood of her dad's car are a reference to Breanna Stewart, already one of the greatest players in the history of WBB.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Make no mistake about it, Paige Bueckers commitment to UConn is BIG news for UConn fans. The suggestions that she just wants to play basketball and might sign the NLI on the hood of her dad's car are a reference to Breanna Stewart, already one of the greatest players in the history of WBB.
Well, put it this way: when Jones signed with Stanford, this board was practically apoplectic - many almost seemed like they felt entitled to every #1 recruit, and any top recruit who went elsewhere was a sure sign Geno was either about to retire or had lost his reputation with young players and couldn't recruit effectively anymore. (Seriously. It was like the sky was falling around here.)

When Bueckers picked UConn, my Stanford board barely noticed, other than a few, "well, another #1 to UConn." We're used to it.

Of course it's big news to UConn - because every top recruit is big news to UConn, and UConn is used to that kind of big news... roughly 50% of them seem to end up going to UConn. For the rest of us (and by "us" I mean every other D1 program), it's a different day, a different class, but the same story. ;)

And relatedly, remember that someone like Jones making a big deal about her signing with Stanford serves as a recruiting function to future players. Just like you guys hope Bueckers will help recruit for UConn, having Jones all over ESPN can only help Stanford with other recruits. I think it's a little unfair to accuse recruits who garner media attention of doing so solely for themselves and their egos. Stanford isn't the darling of ESPN the way UConn is, so other schools and their recruits need to work harder to get the kind of attention UConn enjoys every season.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
And relatedly, remember that someone like Jones making a big deal about her signing with Stanford serves as a recruiting function to future players. Just like you guys hope Bueckers will help recruit for UConn, having Jones all over ESPN can only help Stanford with other recruits. I think it's a little unfair to accuse recruits who garner media attention as doing so solely for themselves.

All of the recruits at this level garner media attention -- it's just part of the process. But I think there are some of them who want the process to continue because they enjoy it and there are others who, once they know, are done with it. I think about Collier and her recruiting process. UConn was the second of five schools where she was making an official visit, but right after she left UConn, she cancelled the other three visits and gave her verbal to UConn. Then there are those who want the cameras and to choose the hat and for everyone to talk about it.

There isn't a right or a wrong, it's just how the process has changed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All Paige needs to do is drop a handful of well placed dimes to her teammates on USA basketball and they will figure out pretty quickly that playing on Paige’s team has its advantages.

Has the U19 roster come out yet?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There are things that make you happy when you hear them. Then there are things that make you happy every time you hear them. This news is definitely the latter. The watching puppies play in the grass on a beautiful spring day while eating ice cream and holding hands with your sweetie kinda happy! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom