Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Isn't Azzi Fudd primarily a point guard too..?

Might be a good problem to have with those 2 on the team.
Almost every great HS guard or wing could be considered a pg because they have the ball in their hands all the time. So Aubrey Griffin, Christyn Williams, Paige, Azzi could all be considered pg’s. But when Azzi and Paige started together on the U17 team, more often than not, Paige was running the point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

When you see Paige, think Diana Taurasi. When you see Azzi, think Maya Moore. Can you imagine if Azzi follows Paige to UCONN? We never had a chance to see Maya and Diana on the same team at UCONN. Sure they played for the US National Team, but it's not the same.

If Azzi comes, it won't just be a bunch of top 5 recruits on the team. It will be like Dee and Maya were 1 year apart playing at UCONN. Add in Christyn, Olivia, and whoever else we get, and holy crap.

Reaction Score

Fudd is a SG who can play W sometimes and bring the ball up the floor sometimes too. She plays high school ball with a young woman on her way to an ivy league school who is the St. Johns PG.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Paige Bueckers had given her oral commitment to attend UConn to women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma awhile ago, she said, but waited until Monday to turn to Twitter and make her decision public."
I'm glad she waited to announce. If she announced sooner, AD Dave might have increased the seat donation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fudd is a SG who can play W sometimes and bring the ball up the floor sometimes too. She plays high school ball with a young woman on her way to an ivy league school who is the St. Johns PG.
Yeah, Carly Rivera (Columbia commit) was the SJC PG. However, Azzi played some PG with Team USA. She can play PG, SG, and SF. If she plays with Paige, generally I want Paige passing the ball and Azzi shooting the ball. Paige will get the ball to players in the right spot.

Recall when Kaleena was fairly new at UConn? Geno said he needed to get her MORE shots. Azzi is a player you want taking a lot of shots. She's a born 50/40/90 shooter. People compare her to Maya. I think she's more of a Maya/Kaleena combo. Maya is taller and stronger, but Azzi has a better handle and a better shot. Think a trimmer, quicker Kaleena with a legendary shot, from about 25'. Azzi's pull-up compares with Maya's and Sue's. She's a 20-year-old in a 16-year-old body.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see where Fudd picks - she's being recruited very strongly by Stanford as well, and her namesake is Stanford player Jennifer Azzi, so there's definitely a family history connected to the Cardinal. But with Bueckers now committed to the Huskies, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fudd follows.

I had pretty much given up on Fudd coming to UConn, but this latest turn of events gives me pause for hope since they are BFF. What a boon for the program if we get Fudd too. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Holy Cow. I just watched her 3 minute mix from her Soph. year. I want to say who she reminds me of but I don't want to jinx it. Just watch for yourselves and enjoy.

I see what you mean. :)

Reaction Score
She looks like a cutie who is LOADED with talent --> EXCEPT I don't like the green nail polish...to Notre Dame-ish <--just kidding....
Fixed...

1554308858329.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, Carly Rivera (Columbia commit) was the SJC PG. However, Azzi played some PG with Team USA. She can play PG, SG, and SF. If she plays with Paige, generally I want Paige passing the ball and Azzi shooting the ball. Paige will get the ball to players in the right spot.

Recall when Kaleena was fairly new at UConn? Geno said he needed to get her MORE shots. Azzi is a player you want taking a lot of shots. She's a born 50/40/90 shooter. People compare her to Maya. I think she's more of a Maya/Kaleena combo. Maya is taller and stronger, but Azzi has a better handle and a better shot. Think a trimmer, quicker Kaleena with a legendary shot, from about 25'. Azzi's pull-up compares with Maya's and Sue's. She's a 20-year-old in a 16-year-old body.
I like it. A KML and Maya love child

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had pretty much given up on Fudd coming to UConn, but this latest turn of events gives me pause for hope since they are BFF. What a boon for the program if we get Fudd too. ;)
People over-reacted to N.D. winning the National Championship and getting Sam Brunelle. The one true miss in recruiting was Aliyah Boston. I'm still puzzled by that one. Geno ultimately passed on Brunelle, got involved with Horston too late, and lost Haley Jones to a world-class school 16 miles from her high school. But he got a very athletic and underrated Aubrey Griffin. Geno views it as a one-year blip. Paige's decision affirms that. Wait until we get Makurat, Muhl, Gusters, Fudd, Miles, and DeBerry! Opinions will change. :)

Reaction Score
Well, put it this way: when Jones signed with Stanford, this board was practically apoplectic - many almost seemed like they felt entitled to every #1 recruit, and any top recruit who went elsewhere was a sure sign Geno was either about to retire or had lost his reputation with young players and couldn't recruit effectively anymore. (Seriously. It was like the sky was falling around here.)

When Bueckers picked UConn, my Stanford board barely noticed, other than a few, "well, another #1 to UConn." We're used to it.

Of course it's big news to UConn - because every top recruit is big news to UConn, and UConn is used to that kind of big news... roughly 50% of them seem to end up going to UConn. For the rest of us (and by "us" I mean every other D1 program), it's a different day, a different class, but the same story. ;)

And relatedly, remember that someone like Jones making a big deal about her signing with Stanford serves as a recruiting function to future players. Just like you guys hope Bueckers will help recruit for UConn, having Jones all over ESPN can only help Stanford with other recruits. I think it's a little unfair to accuse recruits who garner media attention of doing so solely for themselves and their egos. Stanford isn't the darling of ESPN the way UConn is, so other schools and their recruits need to work harder to get the kind of attention UConn enjoys every season.
Yo - "Almost"?? "Felt"?? I thought we WERE entitled... SMH :cool::cool:

(BTW congrats on getting Hailey)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no doubt in my mind these 2 girls in Pagie and Azzi talked about what school they want to go to and if they want to go to the same school and try to win an NC together. They are close friends from what I hear that play well together and will be a danger backcourt at any school so why not UConn with a coach that can get them there but we need at least 3 bigs.

Reaction Score
People over-reacted to N.D. winning the National Championship and getting Sam Brunelle. The one true miss in recruiting was Aliyah Boston. I'm still puzzled by that one. Geno ultimately passed on Brunelle, got involved with Horston too late, and lost Haley Jones to a world-class school 16 miles from her high school. But he got a very athletic and underrated Aubrey Griffin. Geno views it as a one-year blip. Paige's decision affirms that. Wait until we get Makurat, Muhl, Gusters, Fudd, Miles, and DeBerry! Opinions will change. :)
Wow then the world of women’s basketball will surely hate us

Reaction Score
I have no doubt in my mind these 2 girls in Pagie and Azzi talked about what school they want to go to and if they want to go to the same school and try to win an NC together. They are close friends from what I hear that play well together and will be a danger backcourt at any school so why not UConn with a coach that can get them there but we need at least 3 bigs.

If PB is the second coming of DT as everyone says, surely she can win without needing at least 3 BIGS as DT did, especially if she gets Azzi as her running mate ?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well Paige's HS Coach was sure n our corner!

"Q: Were you surprised when Paige chose UConn?
A:
“I wasn’t surprised at all. I was hoping she would choose UConn. First of all, Geno did by far the best job of recruiting her. I’ve never seen a college coach do such due diligence in recruiting a player, and there’s a reason why UConn’s great every year. There just is. Between him and [associate head coach] Chris Dailey, they did an amazing job in recruiting her. They built this relationship over three years ago, and it didn’t surprise me at all. I was in tears of joy that she was going to UConn.”

Who is UConn women’s basketball recruit Paige Bueckers?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, they already do, so...

BTW Paige likes that:

"I know there's pressure when you have UConn across your chest, but I love pressure. I love when the rival fans hate you -- that makes the game more fun and entertaining."
Then Paige will really enjoy her 1st trip to South Bend in a UConn uniform. Many Irish fans already dislike the Huskies and their HC, and they certainly won’t be particularly fond of Paige after she spurned ND for UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Then Paige will really enjoy her 1st trip to South Bend in a UConn uniform. Many Irish fans already dislike the Huskies and their HC, and they certainly won’t be particularly fond of Paige after she spurned ND for UConn.
Assuming that the series continues, PB will be there as a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom