Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fast forward a year. Paige is standing outside in a foot of snow. On each side of her is a Husky puppy dog. She reaches for a pen to sign her Letter of Intent on the back of her father's snowmobile. Seems something similar happened a few years ago from the cold north region and, if I remember correctly, some good things came from it.:D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Awesome news. She's gonna be a fun one to watch for 4 years.

Those poor souls who have been advocating the end of UCONN and Geno. SMH. I believe someone on here (ahem...:rolleyes:.....:cool:) has widely proclaimed that history shows following a "down" year of recruiting, UCONN gets a very, very good class. We're on our way.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd is Class 2021, they'll be room for both. Both have the ability to play either guard position.

Worked really well on Team USA. Bueckers basically played a secondary role extremely well.

You might expect that to reverse a bit given she'll have some seniority at UCONN.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Full disclosure since this is my first post and I just joined, I was very happy to hear this news. I am a huge UCONN women’s basketball fan going all the way back to Rebecca Lobo and Jen Rizotti. I am an alumna of The Ohio State University and the only team in America I would ever root against UConn would be if they were playing my alma mater, other than that I fully invested In UCONN women’s basketball. Go Huskies!!

Welcome to the Boneyard!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He recently mentioned that getting two particular recruits would be enough to keep him coacing at least until their careers are over at UCONN. Although he obviously mentioned no one by
name, Bueckers is one and Azzi is two. We're halfway there.
Yes, those were the 2 players he was referencing.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Ah yea some Timbuk 3 (who, though not MN, are from WI)

What a great treat from eighties. Thanks! I guess the other schools (read Notre Dame) are listening to Timbuk 3's other song "Life Is So Hard". And of course Geno is thinking, "I Just Want to Funk With Your Mind". What a blast from the past as the Sixties Dee Jays said.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I tried to rewatch Bueckers u17 play this morning and couldn't. Seeing Boston dominate put a knot in my stomach.

I realize the chances are like .000001% but wouldn't it be interesting if Horston doesn't like the new hire, asks for her release and gets immediate eligibility at UCONN?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My comment about Paige being the best recruit since Stewie is not intended to insult or denigrate anyone. I think Lou, Phee, Megan, and Christyn all are or will be great players. I love all of them and wouldn't trade any of them. They were deserving of their rankings (though Phee may have been slightly too low). My point is simply that some #1s are better than other #1s. Most people think that Diana, Maya, and Stewie are on the UConn version of Mt. Rushmore. Paige is at their level, in the opinion of several people, including Geno. We'll have a problem with Mt. Rushmore if we get Azzi, because she may the best of the group. There were 3 standouts in high school this year, perhaps 4 if we count Jordan Horston. The others were Haley Jones, Paige Bueckers, and Azzi Fudd. Regardless of class, Paige was about as good as anyone. Geno doesn't normally start freshmen, especially at PG, but he started Renee. Paige is not a normal recruit. Both Geno and Kara Lawson compare her to Diana.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, seriously. It’s not a knock on those players, it’s just that Paige will probably be on the Diana, Maya, Stewie level -rarified air
Thanks, Nan. That was exactly my point. Paige and Azzi were 2 of the best 3 or 4 players in high school this year, regardless of class. In Geno-speak, Paige is really, really, really, really good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
think you may be overlooking this year's no. 1 recruit. she's gonna turn out to be extraordinary.
If you're talking about Christyn, I agree that she's going to be really, really good. Maybe a NPOY contender (along with Lauren Cox, Chennedy Carter, and Young/Ionescu if either stays in college) as soon as next year. As good as Christyn is, I think Paige is even better. Hard to fathom, but true. They will be unbelievable together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like to extend my thanks to the fans that show up for exhibition games. You may be more important than you realize if your enthusiasm was part of what made her choose UConn.

MADD: Thank you. Nice of you to highlight that. Wife and I love the EX games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you're talking about Christyn, I agree that she's going to be really, really good. Maybe a NPOY contender (along with Lauren Cox, Chennedy Carter, and Young/Ionescu if either stays in college) as soon as next year. As good as Christyn is, I think Paige is even better. Hard to fathom, but true. They will be unbelievable together.

One thing that Paige will not have to deal with is being too deferential to
senior AA / NPOY candidates which at times has hampered CW. Even if CW and MW get to AA level when Paige comes in, I think Paige would view them more as peers. Being at the PG spot would also force her to be very aggressive in her Freshman Year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One thing that Paige will not have to deal with is being too deferential to
senior AA / NPOY candidates which at times has hampered CW. Even if CW and MW get to AA level when Paige comes in, I think Paige would view them more as peers. Being at the PG spot would also force her to be very aggressive in her Freshman Year.
Paige may be deferential in her shot choice. But she'll be dropping dimes all over the court. If you need to be heads-up when Crystal has the ball, things will be no different with Paige.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
But, can we just take a moment to remember that freshmen are still freshmen.

I know the makeup of the rest of the team was different, but not even Stewie was ready (by Geno's standards) to start at the beginning of her freshman year. Hell, DT only started 14 games her freshman year. With Paige, she'll likely need to start because of this year's down class, but we need to make sure we don't lose sight of the fact that this transition is really $#@*#@! hard for everyone and not to throw out the baby with the bathwater when they aren't being discussed as potential AAs by Christmas.

Now, please resume the celebration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown