Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think it's on her USA Team bio that she has her favorite player is Kyrie Irving.

Hmmm, who was the 1st guest on Geno's podcast?

For such a willing and accomplished passer, that is a bit strange imho. I would have thought a Curry but to each their own.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Beating Louisville on Sunday and Paige committing on Monday. It's been a great 2 days!
Do not assume that those two events were uncorrelated. As another poster suggested, Lou's postgame comments about the program and her pride in wearing the name on her chest could well have been a significant force moving Ms. Bueckers to announce publicly what she had probably known in her heart for a long time.

Reaction Score
Full disclosure since this is my first post and I just joined, I was very happy to hear this news. I am a huge UCONN women’s basketball fan going all the way back to Rebecca Lobo and Jen Rizotti. I am an alumna of The Ohio State University and the only team in America I would ever root against UConn would be if they were playing my alma mater, other than that I fully invested In UCONN women’s basketball. Go Huskies!!
Tell your fellow Ohio State alumni we want to join the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Do not assume that those two events were uncorrelated. As another poster suggested, Lou's postgame comments about the program and her pride in wearing the name on her chest could well have been a significant force moving Ms. Bueckers to announce publicly what she had probably known in her heart for a long time.
Also things like Geno in that hallway video mentioning that Sveta had flown in from Moscow for the game, and he took her into the locker room and told the players, "This is what it means to be part of the Husky family." Etc.

Reaction Score
Eric:
Congrats on Ms. Bueckers choosing UConn. As I've said, it's a beyond -good get for any school, particularly one that plays at the level of excellence that UConn does.

Glad you came over to the Bench. We don't bite (well at least most of us don't :rolleyes:...every board has its you know whats)....stay awhile once the season is over and blood pressures are down.

If you look there, you'll see a longstanding post at the top on recruiting and you'll see a familiar name assigned to it. And some of the most frequent contributors belong to two other Boneyard posters. As such, allow me to say I don't think the Bench was totally under the impression that Paige was ND-bound. Not in any way, shape or form. Some of her proponents have been very vocal in their support of Paige coming, but I don't recall more than a few "in the bag" comments.
In fact, there was a lot of "Paige vs. Caitlin" talk going on.

BTW, not everyone on every board (only a few of us crazed ones :rolleyes:) looks at every tea leaf. Sure in retrospect, it becomes a bit more obvious, but if all hints are prophecies, why is Aliyah Boston headed to S. Carolina?

Most Benchers are remarkably aware that the Irish just don't get the top recruits: we come close with Bri Turner or very close with Sam Brunelle and Jackie Young (depending on which service your looking at), but never quite the pinnacle coming out of high school. That's one reason why so many were excited about pursuing Paige Bueckers. But if you more than perused the Bench, you'd see that Caitlin Clark has also been in the "mutual interest" (Muffet's term) zone.
A sign that competition was tough was when Deja Kelly visited ND and ND, in turn, visited her in Texas.

So, I'm sure MM and company will bunker down, get some lessons learned and move on. We have not done too shabbily with either Sam B. and Anaya Peoples, who has an interesting blend of physical attributes, composure and leadership that will hopefully lend itself to winning. And in 2020, the still-growing (nearly 6'1") and still-improving Alli Campbell is coming aboard. Not as highly rated, but an improving, talented and hungry player, nonetheless.

Once again, tip of the hat. We're fine at the Bench (well if we had lost to Stanford, that might've been another story :rolleyes:). Our Irish will see you on Friday at Tampa and our coaches will see yours at other gyms in America.
Dillon it's great to have you on this board...

Reaction Score
think you may be overlooking this year's no. 1 recruit. she's gonna turn out to be extraordinary.
I agree. Lets not discount Williams and ONO, I really do believe they will be spectacular going forward. Look at how KLS and Pheesa blossomed sophomore year when they had too. I love Paige, but lets not forget about our two freshman.

Reaction Score
I tried to rewatch Bueckers u17 play this morning and couldn't. Seeing Boston dominate put a knot in my stomach.

I realize the chances are like .000001% but wouldn't it be interesting if Horston doesn't like the new hire, asks for her release and gets immediate eligibility at UCONN?
I realize the chances are like .000001% but wouldn't it be interesting if Horston doesn't like the new hire, asks for her release and gets immediate eligibility at UCONN?[/QUOTE]
The timing of Bueckers' announcement is interesting, coming shortly after word of a coaching change at Tennessee. I wonder if Bueckers is saying to Horston, "I've got the ball in my hands. Now cut to the basket for the layup."

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great news on Paige. But is she taller than Bria Hartley or not? :D

I see Paige listed at 5'10" and 5'11". Maybe we'll know when Azzi stands next to her in a UConn jersey. Azzi is very close to 5'11".

Its that time again!!! Bring out the "Hartley Unit of Measure." Its the only true way to get an accurate measurement. I'm sure Geno or CD have it stored somewhere!!!! ;););)

Reaction Score
Great pickup for UCONN. As I stated in another thread we now need two quality posts and another quality guard to complete the 2020 class.

Reaction Score
I for one though Paige was staying in Minnesota, but I’m glad to be proven wrong. I cannot wait to see Paige, and other ‘20 freshmen, in a Husky uniform :cool:

Reaction Score

Looks like the video title was edited to include Uconn Commit, welcome to UConn Paige.

A Bueckers, Williams backcourt should be something to see, and if Fudd should join them on the wing for a year, that should be special.

Reaction Score
I would agree based solely on talent. As a guard she appears to have no real weakness except possibly strength. ;) And that will come in time.
Good point. Let's not put too much immediate pressure on Paige. Have seen many comparisons to the Goat, Diana T, but she came in with a more pro-type body and could bull her way when all else failed. Paige has the skills so same end result.

Reaction Score
A couple of things to add. I'll admit I did venture over to the ND board - was surprised they were so shocked. She always wanted UCONN. But...

I did enjoy their angst over thinking Bueckers was "in the bag" given her friendship with Brunelle, but a few things about that.
  1. Brunelle wanted UCONN up to near the end, but there was no scholly extended. Everyone will believe what they want, but there it is. I have reasons for believing what I do. Others may disagree and that's fine.
  2. If you really listen to Paige's comments, it was ALWAYS UCONN. Just like Tenn fans thought they led for Maya, for any ND fans who thought they ever led for Paige, fact is, it was always UCONN. She idolized UCONN from a young age, and I doubt very much ND EVER led for her, regardless of how much Brunelle may have tried to convince her.
  3. If you watched any of the games where Bueckers, Fudd, Brunelle, Boston, Jones, Horston etc. played together, it was always Bueckers and Fudd together as thick as thieves. Any ND fan who thinks Fudd is ND bound needs to rethink that. Then again, maybe not, but be prepared to be disappointed.
I think Paige may be the most important recruit since Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. I'm not talking about sheer talent - I believe Bueckers has the potential, from a talent perspective, to be the 4th true face on UCONN's Mt. Rushmore - Dee, Maya, Stewie and... ? Anyway, I say most important for a couple reasons...

But first an aside to explain about KML... she was not only a #1 recruit, but EVERYONE liked her and most everyone wanted to play with her. I think she was instrumental in helping land the holy trinity (Mo, Stewie, Morgan - even tho I think we always led for Stewie).

So I say most important sine KML for 2 reasons. 1) She's a PG. The PG is who has the most control over the pace of the offense, how it runs, and how gets passed to when/where etc. Even Berube noted everyone wants to play with Paige. She's THAT good. We read about Christyn wanting to play with Dangerfield. Gabby and Kia Nurse wanting to play with Jefferson. I think Paige is the linchpin of the next 2 recruiting classes. Everyone will want to play with her. Not saying we will get everyone, but get ready for a sustained collage of top recruits coming our way. And 2) she's just that good. She just oozes confidence and leadership. Kids who want to win NC's want to go where the talent is. I cannot overstate how important she is to our future and how devastating it is to the team who thought she was coming their way.

I am cautiously optimistic that the dominoes will continue to fall UCONN's way in recruiting for 2020, 21, and 22. If it goes as I hope, UCONN is on the precipice of another era of domination. All the worry warts can officially retire for the next 5 years.
By herself, not sure Paige is the most important recruit, but in combination with others would agree. Haven't had as much cool aid as others (all is perfect) but Paige likely the engine that makes the entire team perform better. Big stretch, but lived outside of Detroit when Mich. Fab5 started 5 frosh and have a good feeling about a UConn version.

Reaction Score

I wonder if Geno was the master mind behind this whole "timing thing"...with Paige's approval of course. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This is a tremendous get by HCGA. You know he sees the potential. He went hard after Paige because he knows that this a HUGE recruit for the program. He picks and chooses. The players that he really feels are essential to the program, he tends to get. I love the highlight reel. Great handle, can shoot off the bounce, and has great passing skills. The kid does seem to be the type of kid that others want to play with. We will see if some of the teammates from that group (especially Miss Fudd) follow her. This commitment may quiet the "Geno's on the way out...can't recruit because of the AAC...doesn't want to recruit anymore because he's near retirement" rumblings that we have all seen and read. Hopefuly this commitment guarantees at least five more years of HCGA at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom