PAC dysfunction | Page 5 | The Boneyard

PAC dysfunction

Reaction Score

-> In truth, there is plenty of blame to go around, says Pat Chun, the Washington State athletics director.

“It’s our own fault we got ourselves to this place,” Chun said. “It’s a byproduct of how dysfunctional the Pac-12 had been for over a decade.”<-

Reaction Score

-> We already know a few things. We are not going to spend the same amount of money on athletics that we have for the last decade. We will still be competitive, but it’ll be different than when we had the smallest athletic budget in a Power Five conference. <-

Reaction Score

-> We already know a few things. We are not going to spend the same amount of money on athletics that we have for the last decade. We will still be competitive, but it’ll be different than when we had the smallest athletic budget in a Power Five conference. <-
Does that sound like a downgrade is coming ?
Possibly joining the MW ?

Reaction Score
Now...this is interesting in that article....

— They could attempt to preserve the Pac-12 brand and retain the assets. In that scenario, the 12 Mountain West schools could vote to dissolve their league, thereby eliminating departure penalties, and join the Pac-12 en masse.

“No brand in the Group of Five has the value of the Pac-12 brand,’’ the industry source said. “If you have the brand, you own the history.”
I’ve been saying that all along . A merger where MW schools joining the PAC is worth more than the OSU and WSU becoming MW members . You own 100 years of history .of a great conference . You possibly could even get Cal and Stamford back in the future .
Getting the Big East name saved the C7 . Branding has value because of that leagues history .

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

Reading between the lines: we'll spend somewhere between Gx and Py teams. Seems reasonable.

Reaction Score

Wow waving the white flag.

I would’ve merged with the mtn, called it the pac, and tried to maintain status as a p5. Then after a few years pull back on spending.

But he basically conceding G5 status already.

Reaction Score
If I were Washington State and Oregon State, here is what I would do......

1. Either through court or an outside settlement with the departing PAC-12 schools, obtain the rights to the PAC-12 funds that are remaining after the current 2023-2024 revenues are distributed to all 12 schools. If that is not possible due to litigation from the 10 departing schools, then obtain as much of that revenue as possible in a settlement.

2. Approach the ACC and offer them the same deal SMU offered them. No revenue from the conference for 8 years (I think it was 8 years?) and live off the revenues received from the dissolution of the PAC-12 conference over the course of those 8 years. If the ACC says no, make the same offer to the Big 12.

3. If neither the ACC or Big 12 accept the offer, merge with the Mountain West under the PAC-12 banner. However, keep all previous PAC-12 assets to themselves. Essentially, the new PAC-12 is carrying over all Mountain West assets under the name PAC-12. Oregon State and Washington State could live off of the PAC-12 funds for a while and then see how conference realignment shakes out going forward. Worst case scenario, the funding from the PAC-12 could help with a gradual shift over to receiving G5 money rather than a cutthroat shift from one year to the next.

Reaction Score
If I were Washington State and Oregon State, here is what I would do......

1. Either through court or an outside settlement with the departing PAC-12 schools, obtain the rights to the PAC-12 funds that are remaining after the current 2023-2024 revenues are distributed to all 12 schools. If that is not possible due to litigation from the 10 departing schools, then obtain as much of that revenue as possible in a settlement.

2. Approach the ACC and offer them the same deal SMU offered them. No revenue from the conference for 8 years (I think it was 8 years?) and live off the revenues received from the dissolution of the PAC-12 conference over the course of those 8 years. If the ACC says no, make the same offer to the Big 12.

3. If neither the ACC or Big 12 accept the offer, merge with the Mountain West under the PAC-12 banner. However, keep all previous PAC-12 assets to themselves. Essentially, the new PAC-12 is carrying over all Mountain West assets under the name PAC-12. Oregon State and Washington State could live off of the PAC-12 funds for a while and then see how conference realignment shakes out going forward. Worst case scenario, the funding from the PAC-12 could help with a gradual shift over to receiving G5 money rather than a cutthroat shift from one year to the next.
I think the Big 12 makes the most sense.

For option 3, one conference has to fold and those folks all get sheet-canned. I'd think the MW has the leverage and the PAC 12 officers would need to willingly resign.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It seems like this should create scheduling opportunities for us in the near term.

I wonder if a football only membership would make sense? Probably not, since the new conference with affectively be a inconveniently located G5 conference, but it's interesting to think about.
Worth kicking the tires on.

Reaction Score
Now...this is interesting in that article....

— They could attempt to preserve the Pac-12 brand and retain the assets. In that scenario, the 12 Mountain West schools could vote to dissolve their league, thereby eliminating departure penalties, and join the Pac-12 en masse.

“No brand in the Group of Five has the value of the Pac-12 brand,’’ the industry source said. “If you have the brand, you own the history.”
i posted that two months ago
There is immense value in the name . The Current Big East can attribute some of it credibility to getting the brand for a basketball conference . It had less worth as a football conference .
That name alone doubles the worth of the MW .

Reaction Score
Copied from Zoo's post in the key tweets thread. This is one of the few rational outcomes of CR. MW is a pretty good conference. There's no poaching. And the PAC 2 programs get to keep their recent windfall.

Reaction Score
Copied from Zoo's post in the key tweets thread. This is one of the few rational outcomes of CR. MW is a pretty good conference. There's no poaching. And the PAC 2 programs get to keep their recent windfall.

There really is no other attainable option.

Creating some new conference out of scratch is just too much.

Reaction Score
Even if this is a full merger, they should still poach the top American schools left to cement themselves as the top G5 conference. Even only adding Tulane and UTSA would be a plus. Memphis and USF might be too far away geographically if the money doesn’t work.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Oregon State and Washington State preliminarily granted control. This is the right result opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom