PAC dysfunction | Page 14 | The Boneyard

PAC dysfunction

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UCLA Endowment = $7.7 billion
Berkeley Endowment = $6.9 billion

$10 mill a year is a mere pittance. They may as well call it even and call it a day

It is not a pittance to the athletics departments who will soon have an additional $20 million/year carrying cost for athlete's salary and also have to make back payments for athletes from the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
It is not a pittance to the athletics departments who will soon have an additional $20 million/year carrying cost for athlete's salary and also have to make back payments for athletes from the last 20 years.
Big picture, it is a pittance. and all they're doing is moving pocket change from one pocket to the other.

Reaction Score
UCLA is ranked higher academically, has a larger endowment and is in a better, more prosperous conference. Yet Cal is the "state flagship"? :rolleyes:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
UCLA is ranked higher academically, has a larger endowment and is in a better, more prosperous conference. Yet Cal is the "state flagship"? :rolleyes:
UCLA has a higher academic ranking than Cal, where did you get that from? UCLA is an excellent school but Cal is likely the highest ranked public university in the country while UCLA may crack the top ten.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UCLA has a higher academic ranking than Cal, where did you get that from? UCLA is an excellent school but Cal is likely the highest ranked public university in the country while UCLA may crack the top ten.
One and two actually:
IMG_2501.jpeg

At least according to USNWR rankings. We come in at a respectable 26th.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One and two actually:
View attachment 100618
At least according to USNWR rankings. We come in at a respectable 26th.
Interesting.

I'll have to check some of the other services later but USNWR is one of the most commonly used.

Historically Cal has been #1 for quite some time with Michigan and UVA not far behind, then some order of UNC, Florida and Texas. Georgia Tech, Wisconsin and a couple Cal's (UC Davis & UCLA) would normally be the next group.

Don't get me wrong, being among any of the above is an accomplishment.

CL82

Reaction Score
Interesting.

I'll have to check some of the other services later but USNWR is one of the most commonly used.

Historically Cal has been #1 for quite some time with Michigan and UVA not far behind, then some order of UNC, Florida and Texas. Georgia Tech, Wisconsin and a couple Cal's (UC Davis & UCLA) would normally be the next group.

Don't get me wrong, being among any of the above is an accomplishment.
California has a great state system. They probably have like a half dozen of the top 15 public schools.

Reaction Score
George Kliavkoff infamous quote #1:

“Absolutely not,” Kliavkoff said when asked about if he was worried about teams moving to the Big Ten. “I have no concern about our schools. We had the opportunity when conference realignment was going on last summer to canvas our president and chancellors and it is clear to me that everyone who’s in the Pac-12 is committed to the Pac-12. I’m not worried about that. We’re not looking to expand; we had lots of opportunities to expand. We’re really happy at 12.”

-He said this in June 2022, and USC and UCLA announced their move to the B1G later that month.

Reaction Score
Just recently, the ACC commissioner said he was "bullish" on the future of the ACC. Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, GK said this about the PAC-12!

Kliavkoff described the league’s view of its future as “bullish.”

The Pac-12, he said, has interest from incumbent media partners as well as new traditional media and digital media partners. He said it’s very likely the league has a large piece of its media rights with a digital media partner.

“We will be very well-positioned among the Power Five from a revenue-per-school standpoint,” he said.

> Asked about the Big 12’s comment that it is ‘open for business,’ Kliavkoff shot back.

“I appreciate that. We haven’t decided if we’re going shopping there yet or not,” he said.

Reaction Score
"In board meetings in the last year, we constantly update our board. I think they're enthusiastic, like I am, about the media deal. I will tell you what we've seen is the longer we wait for the media deal, the better our options get. I think our board realizes that. There's an underlying shift in the media market that's happening. We're long-term taking advantage of that."

Q: THERE'S BEEN THIS NARRATIVE NOW FOR SEVERAL MONTHS THAT YOUR LEAGUE IS ABOUT TO COLLAPSE AND GO AWAY. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?​

Kliavkoff: "I said in the board meetings, I see the commitment all of our schools have to each other, I also kind of know where the sources of that is coming from. I discount that because I know the truth."

Q: YOU JUST SAID YOU'RE NOT ANNOUNCING A DEAL TODAY ON PURPOSE BECAUSE YOU WANT THE ATTENTION TO BE ON FOOTBALL.​

Kliavkoff: "Yep."

Q: To be clear, that would imply that the deal is done and codified, and just you're waiting until after today.

Kliavkoff: "I think you're reading too much into that."

Q: So then what is the purpose behind not announcing something, which is what you just said?

Kliavkoff: "We want to have the focus on football today. We have an incredibly good football story to tell, and we want that to be the focus today."

Reaction Score

WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF THE PAC-12 NETWORK?​

"I think media rights is just one of the big opportunities in front of us. I think we have several years to figure it out. But I think one of the first things is to determine when to start those renegotiations. With respect to the Pac-12 Network, I believe it's part of the future of our media distribution strategy. Today, the Pac-12 Network has far fewer subscribers than any other comparable network and we have to fix that. I think there's a way to fix that through structuring and relationships, but we have to get the Pac-12 Network distributed every place on every platform that our fans want to be able to consume that content. I also think about the media rights in the Pac-12 Network as being a small slice of the media rights that we can create and distribute. There are some very obvious and, perhaps, not so obvious ideas to optimize the revenue from distribution of our content and slicing and dicing that content. It’s, candidly, what I've done in many of my previous roles with great success. But just to be clear, I'm not going to get into those ideas before doing the work to validate them."

UNIQUE MAN FOR THE JOB​

Kliavkoff acknowledged Thursday that not many people will be familiar with his name or history in business, but explained how he has a unique skillset and passion for the job.
"I believe I am transitioning from the best job in entertainment to the best job in sports. I made this jump because I'm passionate about the mission of the Pac-12 Conference to drive financial results, help protect and expand scholarships, and support the other educational goals of our member institutions. I understand that I was not on any of the media's shortlists for this role, and that my name will be new to many of you. But I will believe my personal style and work experience line up well with the enormous opportunities immediately in front of the Pac-12."

Reaction Score
GK held off on media rights negotiations because of the value of Coach Prime!

"We knew some other information was coming, including the announcement of Coach Prime. Why would we do a media deal before that? ...He absolutely adds value to the league."

Reaction Score
Kliavkoff said the conference’s new deal would “close the gap between us and the Big Ten and the SEC [Southeastern Conference],” which he called a first step in strengthening the Pac-12 brand.

Eventually, we’ll catch those guys,” Kliavkoff said. “It will take a couple of steps, but we’re going to take a step towards closing that gap."

And who can forget the "small delta"?

“We believe between the travel and the coaches’ salaries and some of the other expenses you incur when you join the Big Ten,” Kliavkoff said, “the small delta in the media rights deal [between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten] will be more than offset. We stand by those numbers.”

Reaction Score
And the enviable position of being next up in negotiations!

After the UCLA and USC news broke, the Pac-12 accelerated discussions on its new media rights deal. Kliavkoff said Friday his league is in an “enviable position” when it comes to those negotiations, something that will be highly questioned with the Big Ten tearing away the LA market.

"We are in the enviable position of being next to market after the Big Ten," Kliavkoff said. " We already have significant interest from potential partners, including both incumbents and new traditional television and most importantly digital media partners. This interest is driven by the strength of our schools' brands and markets and a recognition of our continued leadership position in college football across the Western and Mountain time zones. With the value of premium college sports rights continuing to rise, multiple interested media partners and limited opportunities, particularly in the west, we are confident in the long-term value of our rights … We still believe that after the current cycle of media rights deals, we will be very well positioned among the Power Five from a revenue-per-school standpoint."

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol you like Kliavkoff about as much as I like Bill Self apparently. He was at the helm when the conference ran aground so yeah with the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to see how inept he was. The whole "we're talking about football" was an unforced error that just makes you laugh.

Reaction Score
Lol you like Kliavkoff about as much as I like Bill Self apparently. He was at the helm when the conference ran aground so yeah with the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to see how inept he was. The whole "we're talking about football" was an unforced error that just makes you laugh.
That's when the Colorado AD stormed out of the building and got on his private jet and left. Right after that, Colorado announced its move to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 going out with a bang in some of the Olympic sports.

In Women's Golf, the NCAA Championship Final Four is all PAC-12 teams. It's the first time in tournament history all four Final Four teams come from the same conference.........

Oregon vs. UCLA
Stanford vs. USC

Next year, this would have been 3 B1G schools and 1 ACC school.

Reaction Score
The offices of the State University system are in Berkeley and they’re the only true University of California.?UCLA is a directional school or branch . Cal is usually among the top if not the top public on the US. . California also has what used to be a separate State College system that was free when my brother attended what’s now Cal State Northridge . Connecticut has a similar structure. Soutern , Central , Western and Eastern are administered separately from the University of Connect system and its branches.

Reaction Score
The offices of the State University system are in Berkeley and they’re the only true University of California.?UCLA is a directional school or branch . Cal is usually among the top if not the top public on the US. . California also has what used to be a separate State College system that was free when my brother attended what’s now Cal State Northridge . Connecticut has a similar structure. Soutern , Central , Western and Eastern are administered separately from the University of Connect system and its branches.
And I'll repeat what I said. UCLA is ranked as the top public university in the nation, has a larger endowment, and is in a better athletic conference. And for the next few years, Cal will be sucking on the teet of UCLA with their Calimony payments. Not bad for a "directional school".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom