PAC dysfunction | The Boneyard

PAC dysfunction

Reaction Score
WSU and OSU are playing nice to because they don't want to harm future relationships and that is understandable. However the money the PAC has incoming could be enough to keep those two programs operating at a P5 level for a decade, so at some point they're going to have to take the kid gloves and play for keeps by threatening or filing lawsuits. The schools that all left are trying to screw them over again by letting them twist in the wind.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
WSU and OSU are playing nice to because they don't want to harm future relationships and that is understandable. However the money the PAC has incoming could be enough to keep those two programs operating at a P5 level for a decade, so at some point they're going to have to take the kid gloves and play for keeps by threatening or filing lawsuits. The schools that all left are trying to screw them over again by letting them twist in the wind.

They are playing nice because that is the smart thing to do legally. The 8 departing schools' will look ridiculous if they have joined a new conference and are still claiming to be members of the Pac 12. Substance will win over form in most litigation.

Reaction Score
I think there are legitimate governance issues. If the majority of the schools decide to leave, can they dissolve the conference and distribute the assets among all schools? Or, do the assets remain with the 2 left behind Pac 12 schools? So OSU and WSU have to buy the Pac 12 brand from the schools that are leaving? Maybe the conference bylaws don't clearly answer the questions.

Reaction Score
Now...this is interesting in that article....

— They could attempt to preserve the Pac-12 brand and retain the assets. In that scenario, the 12 Mountain West schools could vote to dissolve their league, thereby eliminating departure penalties, and join the Pac-12 en masse.

“No brand in the Group of Five has the value of the Pac-12 brand,’’ the industry source said. “If you have the brand, you own the history.”

Reaction Score

— They could attempt to preserve the Pac-12 brand and retain the assets. In that scenario, the 12 Mountain West schools could vote to dissolve their league, thereby eliminating departure penalties, and join the Pac-12 en masse.

“No brand in the Group of Five has the value of the Pac-12 brand,’’ the industry source said. “If you have the brand, you own the history.”

This would obviously be the preferred path and I would assume most likely to happen.

Hopefully they televise on Apple and hopefully Apple is interested in generating some east coast interest for their conference. If the ACC can have west coast teams......

Last edited:
Reaction Score

We have been discussing this here for a month. The value is in the name. That is why the C7 bought the Big East name from Aresco and co.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have been discussing this here for a month. The value is in the name. That is why the C7 bought the Big East name from Aresco and co.
Sure, but they are also is considerable value in the exit fees. It's an interesting question as to whether or not the conference is dissolved. I would argue that the exit of the first two likely didn't dissolve the conference and immediately created a potential asset of their exit fees for the other teams including the four corner states. Whether or not the exit of the four corner schools is sufficient to cause dissolution is an interesting question. If I am Washington state or Oregon state I am arguing that these were two separate events, neither of which reach the level sufficient for dissolution. Hopefully, the bylaws provide clear guidance.

Reaction Score
We need to call the mwc / pac 2 and get in as football only. Call umass or army up and see if they can join. Alternate schedule so pac 16 has a noon game each week. Make a 9 game sch 4 home 4 away one rivalry (umass or army)

Reaction Score
We need to call the mwc / pac 2 and get in as football only. Call umass or army up and see if they can join. Alternate schedule so pac 16 has a noon game each week. Make a 9 game sch 4 home 4 away one rivalry (umass or army)
That makes too much sense therefore won't happen. We can't have nice things.

Reaction Score
That makes too much sense therefore won't happen. We can't have nice things.

Probably true. If ESPN ever caught wind of something like this being worked on they would move to scuttle it.

If I'm Oregon State and Washington State I'm doing everything I can to create a strong national conference streamed by Apple to scare ESPN into pulling the strings on a B12 invite for the two schools.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, OSU and WSU could get rich off of exit fees and lagged NCAA tourney/CFP credits. They might do the best of all the Pac12 schools when all is said and done, if streaming destroys cable revenues in 6-7 years, and revenues re-set downward for everyone.

The departing schools will need to clean their own legal situations up, so it's in everybody's interests to sort out the legalities. If the Pac-12 wasn't keeping good books, there could be a messy negotiation occupying many months before it's all resolved.

CL82

Reaction Score
There are no exit fees since the conference waited until the end of their contract to self-destruct. The PAC stupidly tied exit fees (and GOR obviously) only to the contract length.
Wow, what a mess! What are the litigating about then?

Reaction Score
Inevitable. They are owed, at the very least answers. The departing memebers are trying to slow play this hoping it all goes away and the remaining two are owed nothing. #RebuildThePAC.

Reaction Score
I was reading a Washington State message board post that showed excerpts of the exit verbiage for the SEC and the Pac-12. The SEC's read like a contract, and the Pac's, well, didn't. The fact no one knows if USC has voting rights on Pac-12 matters a year after they announced they were leaving is crazy. Conference leadership malfeasance.

CL82

Reaction Score
Inevitable. They are owed, at the very least answers. The departing memebers are trying to slow play this hoping it all goes away and the remaining two are owed nothing. #RebuildThePAC.
It's not even that. Based upon the article, their position is that the conference is dissolved and therefore all assets have to be divided equally, or alternatively, that they are still full members of the conference and have a right to vote to dissolve.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 bylaws:

Withdrawal.
No member shall deliver a notice of withdrawal to the Conference in the period beginning on July 24, 2011, and ending on August 1, 2024; provided, that if any member does deliver a notice of withdrawal prior to August 1, 2024, in violation of this chapter, the Conference shall be entitled to an injunction and other equitable relief to prevent such breach, and if a court of competent jurisdiction shall deny the Conference such injunctive relief, the Conference shall be entitled to retain all the media and sponsorship rights in the multi-player video distribution (MPVD) and telecommunications/wireless categories of the member purporting to withdraw through August 1, 2024, even if the member is then a member of another conference or an independent school for some or all intercollegiate sports competitions. Additionally, if a member delivers notice of withdrawal in violation of this chapter, the member’s representative to the CEO Group shall automatically cease to be a member of the CEO Group and shall cease to have the right to vote on any matter before the CEO Group.

So I guess the question is what constitutes a notice of withdrawal. I'd say the schools have done enough as is, but I guess courts will decide.

Reaction Score

That’s the smartest thing to do is to hang onto the PAC brand . If you own the brand you can claim the history. Our biggest mistake was giving away the brand. The C7 didn’t deserve a dime in fact they should have paid a reduced exit fee.for damages .
In any event when the Big East dissolved , There were various estimates of $70-100 million in the coffers . Significant *Exit fee money , and a huge amount of Basketball tournament money as the old Big East was the first in those earnings . Earning 23 units in 2011 alone . The vast majority earned by the football schools . This years 15 units earned was considered fantastic.
New schools got a bonus but , UConn , Cincinnati and USF received the bulk . As the damaged parties .
* Even TCU paid $5,000,000 and only attended 1 meetings
I believe everyone else paid at least $10,000,000 each which is cheap.
The current AAC is 15,000,000 and the MW $35,000,000
My understanding is no PAC team paid a dime ,due to a loophole in the contract . If they’re fighting for the crumbs then they should be called out as scumbags.

pj

Reaction Score
Pac-12 bylaws:

Withdrawal.
No member shall deliver a notice of withdrawal to the Conference in the period beginning on July 24, 2011, and ending on August 1, 2024; provided, that if any member does deliver a notice of withdrawal prior to August 1, 2024, in violation of this chapter, the Conference shall be entitled to an injunction and other equitable relief to prevent such breach, and if a court of competent jurisdiction shall deny the Conference such injunctive relief, the Conference shall be entitled to retain all the media and sponsorship rights in the multi-player video distribution (MPVD) and telecommunications/wireless categories of the member purporting to withdraw through August 1, 2024, even if the member is then a member of another conference or an independent school for some or all intercollegiate sports competitions. Additionally, if a member delivers notice of withdrawal in violation of this chapter, the member’s representative to the CEO Group shall automatically cease to be a member of the CEO Group and shall cease to have the right to vote on any matter before the CEO Group.

So I guess the question is what constitutes a notice of withdrawal. I'd say the schools have done enough as is, but I guess courts will decide.

It sounds like a functional grant of rights through August 1, 2024 ... so WSU and OSU own the media rights to all the other schools for the 2023-24 season?

Reaction Score
It sounds like a functional grant of rights through August 1, 2024 ... so WSU and OSU own the media rights to all the other schools for the 2023-24 season?

Haha, that would be a hell of a warchest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom