PAC 12 WBB News | Page 12 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had to check the box score to see what kind of fantastic performance caused such a bold proclamation.

2 points (1-4 FG), 2 ast, 1 reb in 24 minutes against Wisconsin (maybe the worst team in P5?). I'll give you that the 5 steals are nice but it seems like you are trying too hard to go against the grain on this one.
2 of the misses were those wild throws as time runs out. The five steals doesn’t include balls knocked out of bounds, several near steals, almost total shut down defense on her opposite, smooth ball handling, directing the offense. She does in each game what is required. Last week was scoring in double figures in one game, making nine assists in another. She moves, really moves on the floor. And this comes from a guy who has seen ever UConn game in the past decade or two. Box scores are often meaningless. That’s why I asked if you saw her play. I have seen her in 7 games. She comes from good stock. Her mom played on Hall of Fame coach Ceal Barry’s teams in the glory days. True, she was only the No. 16 point guard and around 60th overall in recruiting evaluations but there is high school good and college ready. She might not have all the buzz given she committed to CU in the crib. All I am saying is that if she is playing this well just 7 games in her career, the future looks very good. Wisconsin isn’t much but they have a good coach in long time UConn assistant. And I am well aware that only two of CU’s wins have come against 2021 NCAA tourney teams so it remains to be seen how she’ll do against higher ranked teams. She is coming off the bench but that is pretty meaningless in Colorado’s constant subbing, starting early in game. There are lots of great guards. I am overjoyed we got her.

Reaction Score
I had to check the box score to see what kind of fantastic performance caused such a bold proclamation.

2 points (1-4 FG), 2 ast, 1 reb in 24 minutes against Wisconsin (maybe the worst team in P5?). I'll give you that the 5 steals are nice but it seems like you are trying too hard to go against the grain on this one.
But if you like stats. Her highs in 7 games
12 points on six of six
9 assists
6 rebounds (not too bad for a point guard, two of which were offensive
5 steals tonight edging her previous high of four, other games with 2 and 3
What you don’t see in box scores, as any true fan of the game knows, is court presence—knowing how to move the ball on offense and being a complete terror on defense. Lots of steals but also lots of balls knocked out of bounds, ferocious defense leading to shot violations or hasty shots with time running out. And remember she plays on a team with great depth, where 8-9 players might get 20 minutes plus a game. What mistakes she makes rise out of aggressiveness. She is far from what she’ll be one day but what there is now is, as Tracy put it, cherce.

Reaction Score
As Colorado waits to play Dixie State tonight, the press has taken notice of its defensive prowess though stopping short of calling it “soul crushing.” Part of the reason for this is a defensive competition on the team to be the player that gives up the fewest points. The results are updated after every game. Albeit the opponents haven’t always been top programs, the results are still worth noting. Among D-1 schools, the Buffs rank 12th in points allowed (49.3) and 16th in steals per game (12.4). Throw in five blocks a game and it is an active defense, fueled in part by a deep bench with fresh players inserted frequently. Whether it holds up against the Stanfords and Oregons remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
Colorado easily handles a height challenged Dixie State 78-53 as the CU bench gets plenty of playing time. Dixie State scored mostly on threes, as CU forced one shot violation after another. The Husky transfers both played well. CU played reserves early and often. For obvious reasons the school just changed its name to Utah Tech Iniversity.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Completely mixed results for the Pac today. ASU w/ an offensive explosion, put up 90 on the smart kids from Harvard.

Cal not particularly competitive against Arkansas.

USC with a big toe stub at home against USF, and it wasn't even close.

UCLA might've been stealing some of @Dokey 's patented soul crushing defense, absolutely demolished San Jose St. 112-33.

Reaction Score
UCLA might've been stealing some of @Dokey 's patented soul crushing defense, absolutely demolished San Jose St. 112-33.
Did I see correctly that SJSU went scoreless for the entire 2Q?!?! Oof.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did I see correctly that SJSU went scoreless for the entire 2Q?!?! Oof.
That's what I saw in the box score. That must not happen very often.

Reaction Score
That's what I saw in the box score. That must not happen very often.
It was kind of amazing. Although the Bruins definitely turned up the defensive intensity (the current group of 8 healthy players is probably growing more in tune with their rotations), there were a number of reasonably open shots that SJSU was just not able to hit. So, while impressive feats of "soul crushing defense" were taking place (and, indeed, the souls of the Spartans did not seem to be doing too well going in to halftime), there were also several layups that banged off the bottom of the rim, or off the front side, or that made their way into UCLA hands through mysterious means. So, good defense meets bad offense, plus demoralization taking the air out of the ball. The Spartans put up a decent fight in the third quarter, but the Bruins fixated on some individual and team records in the fourth and let loose as the game closed. I would be upset at poor sportsmanship, but UCLA can't actually put any scrubs in, and the Spartans were obviously playing for experience after the first half.

Reaction Score
New top 25 poll is out with four PAC-12 teams listed
4 Stanford
6 Arizona
23 Oregon State
25 Colorado

Injuries dropped UCLA and Oregon off list. They will be back when healthy. I love my Colorado team but they will be gone after a road trip to play two Oregons starting Dec. 31.

Reaction Score
Below is history of this season's Bracketology by Creme (google sheet), teams ranked as per the recently released NET Rankings (thread).

1638836807923.png

Reaction Score
Colorado goes to 9-0 taking down Southern Utah 81-47, forcing 26 turnovers, grabbing 20 steals, and blocking four shots. 10 Colorado players scored. JR Payne continued her free use of substitutes, playing 9 Buffs in first 2 1/2 minutes, fueling that (fill in the blank) defense with constant fresh troops. Payne guided Southern Utah to its only Big Sky championship before leaving to take the job in Colorado.

Reaction Score
New top 25 poll is out with four PAC-12 teams listed
4 Stanford
6 Arizona
23 Oregon State
25 Colorado

Injuries dropped UCLA and Oregon off list. They will be back when healthy. I love my Colorado team but they will be gone after a road trip to play two Oregons starting Dec. 31.
Oregon has individual talents, but I'm starting to think they will not be making any noise. They just have no chemistry.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
JR Payne continued her free use of substitutes, playing 9 Buffs in first 2 1/2 minutes
What? Is she trying to replicate the CTT method of coaching? Is she doing hockey line changes at every dead ball?

Reaction Score
What? Is she trying to replicate the CTT method of coaching? Is she doing hockey line changes at every dead ball?
The play by play people compared it to hockey as well. She has been substituting like this for nine games, keeping fresh bodies on the court and pressing, pressing on defense. Fortunately, she seems to have the horses to do this, as there is usually no let down. It is almost as if she is saying she has four or five sixth (so)man. Miller, coming off bench, if you can even call this coming off the bench, has led the team in scoring two games in a row with 20 and 18. Individual subs enter every 90 seconds to two minutes. Somehow they maintain a rhythm. So far it is working. In the previous game she waited until the five minute mark of first quarter and then sent in five new players.

Reaction Score
I should add that this fresh body, constant pressure may work very well in Boulder, gassing visiting teams unused to playing at altitude.

Reaction Score
Oregon has individual talents, but I'm starting to think they will not be making any noise. They just have no chemistry.
Your entire posting history is as an Oregon hater. Give it a rest and see how the season plays out when three all conference players return from injury. They did win their two games this year when those three were in by 57 and 49…one against a team in the NCAA field last year.

Reaction Score
Your entire posting history is as an Oregon hater. Give it a rest and see how the season plays out when three all conference players return from injury. They did win their two games this year when those three were in by 57 and 49…one against a team in the NCAA field last year.
I think Oregon’s current woes are all injury related and when they are back at full strength, the rest of the PAC-12 needs to watch out. Is UConn the same team with Paige out?

Reaction Score
One other thing. This substitution pattern was made possible by Miller and Sadler (who is playing very well) transferring in along with transfer Jones and the emergence of freshman Wetta who, coming off the bench, is leading the team in steals on a team that is one of top steal teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Oh, and to everyone who had fun with me describing Colorado’s defense as “soul crushing,” I looked again at yesterday’s game in which Colorado rang up 20 steals, including on the first two plays, and racked up my brain as to how to describe it. And then the words came to me—

—soul crushing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The play by play people compared it to hockey as well. She has been substituting like this for nine games, keeping fresh bodies on the court and pressing, pressing on defense. Fortunately, she seems to have the horses to do this, as there is usually no let down. It is almost as if she is saying she has four or five sixth (so)man. Miller, coming off bench, if you can even call this coming off the bench, has led the team in scoring two games in a row with 20 and 18. Individual subs enter every 90 seconds to two minutes. Somehow they maintain a rhythm. So far it is working. In the previous game she waited until the five minute mark of first quarter and then sent in five new players.
CTT has gotten diminishing returns w/ that approach over the years. I'm not sure if she even does it anymore. It works for maintaining defensive intensity, but it's really hard to keep up offensive flow when players are on the court for 2 minute stints or whatever.

Reaction Score
CTT has gotten diminishing returns w/ that approach over the years. I'm not sure if she even does it anymore. It works for maintaining defensive intensity, but it's really hard to keep up offensive flow when players are on the court for 2 minute stints or whatever.
It isn’t generally 2 minute stints, it is replacing one player every two minutes, who then might play five minutes or more. Sometimes it is replacing the five on the floor with a different four or five every five minutes. CU routinely has 8-9 who play up to 25 minutes. If Mya’s numbers are down a bit, it is because she often is in for 21-22 minutes, though if needed she is rested to play more. Miller has taken some of the pressure off her given that two top rebounders are out for the year. You wondered about Sadler but her game has really been impactful, more so every game. In a recent game starters played 81 minutes, the bench 119. It might be affecting the offensive end of the floor but forcing that many steals, that many turnovers, 20 plus in last six games, means more offensive plays. So far it has been working, against both weak and relatively strong teams. It forces the opposition to throw up a large number of threes, since they seldom get the ball in close.

Reaction Score
It isn’t generally 2 minute stints, it is replacing one player every two minutes, who then might play five minutes or more. Sometimes it is replacing the five on the floor with a different four or five every five minutes. CU routinely has 8-9 who play up to 25 minutes. If Mya’s numbers are down a bit, it is because she often is in for 21-22 minutes, though if needed she is rested to play more. Miller has taken some of the pressure off her given that two top rebounders are out for the year. You wondered about Sadler but her game has really been impactful, more so every game. In a recent game starters played 81 minutes, the bench 119. It might be affecting the offensive end of the floor but forcing that many steals, that many turnovers, 20 plus in last six games, means more offensive plays. So far it has been working, against both weak and relatively strong teams. It forces the opposition to throw up a large number of threes, since they seldom get the ball in close.
Against OSU this approach could have success because OSU has limited experience against an athletic pressing (ball hawking) opponent. Not to say OSU won't be prepared, but preparing is hard if you don't have an athletic practice opponent. I think back to some previous OSU seasons/games vs UCLA & USC when both teams pressed in the backcourt the entire game. Result was 25+ OSU turnovers in both games one season.

Reaction Score
Against OSU this approach could have success because OSU has limited experience against an athletic pressing (ball hawking) opponent. Not to say OSU won't be prepared, but preparing is hard if you don't have an athletic practice opponent. I think back to some previous OSU seasons/games vs UCLA & USC when both teams pressed in the backcourt the entire game. Result was 25+ OSU turnovers in both games one season.
I have never seen a team so relentlessly press on defense for virtually 40 minutes. The team has a competition to see who has the fewest points scored on them individually and it is updated after every game. And almost everyone is out to steal the ball and several players have steals of 4 to 6 in a game. I think as a team they are averaging about 13 a game. A good three point shooting team can have some success. 60% of the scoring—30 points—in one game came from long range. Of course that team still lost big time. I’m a pessimist and I still see OSU winning on their home court. Then again I haven’t seen OSU play this year. While CU lost two rebounders to surgeries, they brought back most of their starters and really have improved due to three transfers and a freshman defensive terror. There just isn’t much let down among the 8 or 9 most involved. And of course should they falter, Mya steps in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom