PAC 12 WBB News | Page 8 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw something on Twitter this morning and I was hoping in my foggy haze, I was seeing things.

UCLA's Osbourne went down with an ankle injury. No updates until sometime later today. In addition to her a few other players suffered injuries, which I hope also are minor.

Reaction Score
Saw something on Twitter this morning and I was hoping in my foggy haze, I was seeing things.

UCLA's Osbourne went down with an ankle injury. No updates until sometime later today. In addition to her a few other players suffered injuries, which I hope also are minor.

All the other "injured" players made it back out onto the court later in the game. Natalie Chou's ankle may be a lingering concern, but she finished out the game, at least, without a limp.

Just based on what happened on the court, however, Charisma Osborne appeared to suffer a major ankle injury. She was in intense pain, and was heard to say that she "could not feel her ankle" by one reporter. She had to be carried off the floor. I would not be surprised if she were out for the year. It had that kind of "look" to it. I guess we are waiting for a diagnosis, and I hope that I am mistaken.

UCLA had 8 active scholarship players available last night, and appear to be back down to 7, going into a Sunday game against Virginia. Chantel Horvat played in her first game of the season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All the other "injured" players made it back out onto the court later in the game. Natalie Chou's ankle may be a lingering concern, but she finished out the game, at least, without a limp.

Just based on what happened on the court, however, Charisma Osborne appeared to suffer a major ankle injury. She was in intense pain, and was heard to say that she "could not feel her ankle" by one reporter. She had to be carried off the floor. I would not be surprised if she were out for the year. It had that kind of "look" to it. I guess we are waiting for a diagnosis, and I hope that I am mistaken.

UCLA had 8 active scholarship players available last night, and appear to be back down to 7, going into a Sunday game against Virginia. Chantel Horvat played in her first game of the season.
This would be really disastrous for UCLA to lose Osborne for the year. It was already shaping up to be a major struggle for them. I hope the news turns out better than expected for her.

Compounding the upset of the injury is the fact that it happened with UCLA up by 20 with under 4 minutes to play. I know UCLA's bench was short and it's good to let your starters log full games of minutes, but still.

Reaction Score
Colorado just might be for real, using once again a crushing defense to take down high scoring Marquette 69-53 with Mya getting a double double, 22 points, 10 rebounds. Sherrod played perhaps her best game ever, 16 or 17 points while robbing Marquette players at will. Buffs are 3-0. CU still stinks at free throw line, otherwise the margin would have been higher. Marquette by the end was fouling to send Buffs to stripe in hopes of holding them to one or less points.

Reaction Score
We will know a lot more about Oregon State after OSU's next 2 games vs Michigan & Notre Dame. Today's game vs Cal State Bakersfield was a big step forward for OSU. Played a complete game and very solid defensive effort. Rueck again played 10 players, and really no drop off on the floor when subs come in--very deep team. Our 3 freshmen are playing extremely well and fearless. Our 3 freshmen accounted for 41 of our 80 points. GO BEAVS!

Reaction Score
This. I mean, yes, they beat Stanford last season in a remarkable game, but they also lost to Denver University. I'm in a wait and see mode on whether Colorado makes any sort of jump this year. It's either this year or never as they'll finally lose Hollingshead after this season.
And had they had even mediocre free throwing shooting, they would have beaten Arizona, the other team in NC game. Mya is certainly important but the team is getting stronger. Having watched their three games my main takeaway is this might be one of the best defensive teams in the country. They play with absolutely no fear, forcing turnover after turnover. But I cringe every time they go to the free throw line. Had Lauren Betts stayed home, she might have been their Rebecca Lobo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting side note to Oregon season: the "forgotten" fifth member of the 2020 recruiting class (after Paopao, Scherr, Parrish, and the transfered Duglic) is 6'4" Kylee Watson. She subs mostly for Sabally now. Well, after three games, she leads the NCAA in field goal percentage: 15-17, 88.24%.

Reaction Score
Don't look now. But those ladies from Cal have won four in a row. Six in a row if you wanna count the exhibition games. But four in a row. This Pac 12 is going to be interesting to watch. Not gonna be a calk walk in the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
Haley Jones had the first triple double by a Stanford player in nearly 20 years. She finished with 17 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists against the University of Portland

And I thought triple doubles were more the norm? Was I spoiled?

Reaction Score
Jaddan Simmons on fire and the Devils loving some home cooking. 48-27 at the half and the ball is dropping, finally. Raining 3s 10-17 from beyond the arc. Rutgers transfer and ASU grad student Mael Gilles has been OFF THE HOOK - 4 steals, 12 points (2 of 3 from threeland) and 3 boards - her energy on the court is amazing. 2 nights ago the Kitties scored 78 on Marist so looks like ASU may have found their groove offensively.

Jade Lovelle 5 for 5 from threeland.

Devils turn Marist over 16 times in the first half!

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like no Haley Jones for Stanford against Gonzaga today. Not a stellar start to the year by the Card.

Reaction Score
For the first time in . . . forever, the Sun Devils score 20+ in each of the first 3 quarters. 69-42 as the fourth quarter begins.

Reaction Score
Devils 82 points are the most since ASU scored 84 back on Dec. 14, 2019 in a win over New Mexico. Back then, point guard Reilli Richardson lead the scoring with 21. Today was a great offensive performance. Simmons was masterful and transfers Gilles and Loville combined for 37 points and 7 for 10 from threeland. A real nice win and sets up ASU confidence for next week's game against Houston.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Devils 82 points are the most since ASU scored 84 back on Dec. 14, 2019 in a win over New Mexico. Back then, point guard Reilli Richardson lead the scoring with 21. Today was a great offensive performance. Simmons was masterful and transfers Gilles and Loville combined for 37 points and 7 for 10 from threeland. A real nice win and sets up ASU confidence for next week's game against Houston.
You have to like the bench scoring. And all of this was with Taya Hanson having a cold shooting game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

At the start of the UCLA-Virginia broadcast on Pac-12 Network, they described Charisma Osborne's injury as "day-to-day".

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Don't look now. But those ladies from Cal have won four in a row. Six in a row if you wanna count the exhibition games. But four in a row. This Pac 12 is going to be interesting to watch. Not gonna be a calk walk in the Pac 12.
Come on, seriously you think that is insightful? Let’s parse these victories shall we? Sacramento, San Francisco, Utah State and San Diego, not exactly a murderers row of WCBB. What exactly did you think their record be after this 4 games? Beating these teams tells us nothing.
That said, ASU seems to near the bottom that Cal can and should beat, add in their old Coach is now at USC so they might be able to take them and UW. But let’s not be thinking this squad will be making a run for n NCAAT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Come on, seriously you think that is insightful? Let’s parse these victories shall we? Sacramento, San Francisco, Utah State and San Diego, not exactly a murderers row of WCBB. What exactly did you think their record be after this 4 games? Beating these teams tells us nothing
Last year in OOC they lost to San Jose St., CSUB and San Francisco. Not only have they been winning games this year, they've been winning by big margins. What these scores tell us is that Cal is much better than last year.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga hung in there. Gave Stanford a good run. Great game by Stanford in the end.
Glad it was available online. Really impressed by Gonzaga. Shout out to Yvonne Ejim as she's improved a lot in the past year. That outside shot is a great addition to her game.

Reaction Score
Playing tough games in the most competitive conference will pay dividends come March just as the NC title game last year came down to Arizona and Stanford. There are fewer and fewer gimme games.

Reaction Score
This would be really disastrous for UCLA to lose Osborne for the year. It was already shaping up to be a major struggle for them. I hope the news turns out better than expected for her.

Compounding the upset of the injury is the fact that it happened with UCLA up by 20 with under 4 minutes to play. I know UCLA's bench was short and it's good to let your starters log full games of minutes, but still.
Thankfully, this does not appear to be the case. It has been announced that she is day-to-day. I personally observed Osborne to be walking around at the Virginia game on Sunday without a visible limp (or not much of one). Bullet dodged.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sadler finally broke into double figures in a game for Colorado w/ 12, mostly on 3s. Wetta w/ 9 assists off the bench. Cruised to an easy win against Samford (not Stanford).

Reaction Score
Colorado goes to 4-0 defeating Stamford 81-48, the first of back to back games, taking on Texas Southern tomorrow. But the Buffs won’t be tired after giving extensive minutes to players I didn’t know were on the team, one freshman hitting 3 3s in five minutes. Once again, they played a soul crushing defense, forcing Stamford into 27 turnovers. Washington transfer Saddler hit 3 3s as well in her best outing as a Buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom