PAC 12 WBB News | Page 6 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see if Pepperdine does as poorly as 9th in the WCC.
A few years ago LMU beat UCLA and Arizona in non conference, but was totally mediocre once WCC play started. I think they had a series of injuries though.

A couple years in a row Pacific looked fairly strong in non-con and then did nothing in conference play.

Until proven otherwise, it's always gonna be Gonzaga and BYU at the top of the WCC (well until the Cougs leave for the Big 12). The rest of the conference seems to reshuffle itself almost yearly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
When polls picked Colorado to finish 7th in PAC-12, I was of two minds. Was the PAC-12 that competitive a conference or was Colorado drastically underrated? Both, I think. Colorado is a defensive juggernaut. Improve that offense and they could turn PAC-12 into chaos.
Colorado has been very inconsistent for years. Need to even out the highs and lows somewhat if they are going to make a significant move up the conference ladder.

Reaction Score
Colorado has been very inconsistent for years. Need to even out the highs and lows somewhat if they are going to make a significant move up the conference ladder.

This. I mean, yes, they beat Stanford last season in a remarkable game, but they also lost to Denver University. I'm in a wait and see mode on whether Colorado makes any sort of jump this year. It's either this year or never as they'll finally lose Hollingshead after this season.

Reaction Score
I think UCLA is going to struggle quite a bit this year. A lot of that is because of how depleted by injury they are, but just in general they are incorporating a lot of new faces. They may get better toward the end of the year, but I think they'll take a lot of lumps in the meantime. They absolutely must get Conti and Dugalic available to have any chance to build toward March.

I'll be interested to see if Pepperdine does as poorly as 9th in the WCC. They looked like a better team than that. I think Ally Stedman is going to turn a lot of heads.
Agree it will take a while for this UCLA team to meld into a cohesive unit. Close has been saying that since PAC-12 Media Day. Injuries to probable starters Conti and Dugalic make for a bigger early season challenge. The staff don’t expect them back until January.

There is precedent for hope for Bruin fans. As NW noted UCLA dropped its opener to Loyola in 2018. That team had lost Canada, Billings and Hayes to graduation and had to remake itself. It started the season 3-5 but found its footing as the season progressed. It defeated #2 Oregon at Matthew Knight Arena overcoming a 22 pt. 2nd quarter deficit (albeit Ruthie Hebard did not play). It defeated #11 seed Tennessee in the first round and shocked #3 seed Maryland at College Park in the second round. It lost a competitive sweet 16 game to #2 seed UConn in Albany by 8 points. It took awhile but by tournament time the Bruins were a scary team for opponents.

Freshman Ally Stedman is a terrific shooter. Pepperdine did a great finding her in the open. Not only did she make 8 out 12 3pt shots but most of them found all net. I think Pepperdine will finish better than 9th in the WCC as long as the key players remain healthy.

Reaction Score
Even if injuries hold UCLA back a bit this season, the PAC-12 will have another team that can/will step up. I heard a Scott Rueck interview today, and have to agree with Rueck's position on the recruiting record of the PAC-12 the past few seasons has been unprecedented. PAC-12 is without question the toughest/best WBB conference top to bottom. Outside of Stanford, I think there is much more parity in PAC-12 than past seasons.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A few years ago LMU beat UCLA and Arizona in non conference, but was totally mediocre once WCC play started. I think they had a series of injuries though.

A couple years in a row Pacific looked fairly strong in non-con and then did nothing in conference play.

Until proven otherwise, it's always gonna be Gonzaga and BYU at the top of the WCC (well until the Cougs leave for the Big 12). The rest of the conference seems to reshuffle itself almost yearly.
LMU played wildly that year, and got a few wins out of it. I was at the Arizona game, they took chances, played 100% every minute and well, got the expected result.

That style, apart from anything, is not sustainable through a season, and can be defended better when expected.

Reaction Score
Having watched the Oklahoma State game, I came away with two observations. CU has a soul crushing defense and an inconsistent, at best, offense. As such they will enter every PAC-12 game as a potential powder keg. Sherrod needs to play under control. Too often she drives to the basket when there is little chance of either scoring or drawing a foul. She has to think pass first. Getting the ball to Mya or Frida for the three is a priority. Ball movement, ball movement. They beat Oklahoma State by ten, leading all the way. They should have won by 25.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sherrod needs to play under control. Too often she drives to the basket when there is little chance of either scoring or drawing a foul. She has to think pass first.
Never been a fan. She's an exciting player who is capable of playing well, but I don't think she's a true PG. Don't like her decision making, never been a good shooter. She needs to learn the magic of change of pace, she's 100 mph all the time.

Reaction Score
There have been times where Colorado has looked better when Sherrod was off the floor. Perplexing, given that she sometimes passes the eye test, but Sherrod has to show better decision making -- and hopefully she'll start doing that now that she's back from her injury last season.

Reaction Score
For those who want other options to see PAC-12 games, came across this today:
You can cast to your television through the Pac-12 Now app (for iOS, Android, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV). With the app, you can log in with your TV/cable provider information if you are a Pac-12 Networks subscriber and enjoy all of our channels.

Through the Pac-12 Now app, you can stream directly to a TV set via devices such as Google Chromecast or with AirPlay for Apple TV on supported devices. This video walks you through how to setup Chromecast.

If you don't have Chromecast or AirPlay, you're also able to cast to a Roku, Samsung TV (2019 or newer), LG TV or Sony TV via Apple or Android on the Pac-12 Now app.

Reaction Score
Never been a fan. She's an exciting player who is capable of playing well, but I don't think she's a true PG. Don't like her decision making, never been a good shooter. She needs to learn the magic of change of pace, she's 100 mph all the time.
I am with you 100%. I scream this at the screen several times every game. I blame JR. She is the only one who can change Sherrod. She needs to watch footage of CU’s previous point guard, Kennedy Leonard.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nice debut for Rayah Marshall w/ USC. 15 pts/9 reb/3 assists/1 steal/2 blocks. She's more mobile and has more wing type skills than I expected. Hawaii was kinda hanging around, then they crushed them in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
idc if it was Morgan State they played, people better think twice about doubting Stanford AGAIN. I can't recall a team this deep and loaded.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
idc if it was Morgan State they played, people better think twice about doubting Stanford AGAIN. I can't recall a team this deep and loaded.
It was ridiculous how people were acting like Williams was a HUGE loss. She was a nice player. Nowhere near one of the best they've had there. To think they weren't going to be able to make up for her loss was always pure silliness.

Reaction Score
This. I mean, yes, they beat Stanford last season in a remarkable game, but they also lost to Denver University. I'm in a wait and see mode on whether Colorado makes any sort of jump this year. It's either this year or never as they'll finally lose Hollingshead after this season.
Well, that is the inconsistent Colorado, except against Stanford. While Colorado lost three out of the last four games to Stanford, it took near last second miracles for Stanford to win two of the three, a tying basket with less than 2 seconds on the clock, and a lucky hurled Hail Mary. Why this should be I don’t know, unless a 9O year old plus Colorado fan is somehow passing Stanford game plans to CU. Tara’s mom lives in Boulder and is a regular at Buff games. Lol.

Reaction Score
Cal ends the 1st quarter with 19-16 lead over San Fran. Cal looking sharp out there.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal ends the 1st quarter with 19-16 lead over San Fran. Cal looking sharp out there.
USF jumped out 9-2, it's been all Cal ever since. Big lead heading into halftime.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal is almost an entirely new team compared to last year. Most of the rotation is players returning from injury (McIntosh, Green, Crocker) or players who weren't there (grad transfer Bush, Fr. Curry). The post players from last year are still in the mix, but pretty much none of the guards/wings.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I keep looking at Hoopgurlz '21 rankings, and I can't find Jayda Curry. Are you kidding? MaxPreps picked her for POY in California. She's scored 23 and 25 (and counting) in her first 2 games for Cal. Seems like a massive miss by Hoopgurlz.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seeing a bit of Cal and Utah...Washington has their work cut out for them avoiding the cellar this year.

Reaction Score
NAU Lady Jacks playing Washington Huskies tough and are within 2 at the half. Jack's point guard Regan Schenck (of triple double fame) is leading the team in boards with 6 and has 4 steals. Khiarica Rasheed leading NAU with 11 points

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Haley Van Dyke w/ a first half double double for Washington, but needs some help. This team is not good.

Reaction Score
Haley Van Dyke w/ a first half double double for Washington, but needs some help. This team is not good.
Perhaps the Jacks are making them look bad?

Regan Schenck opens the second have with a dime to Maio to tie it up.

Huskies picked up Mulkey from Rice.....I think she's 6 9.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Perhaps the Jacks are making them look bad?
I know NAU is your team. If the Dawgs are struggling w/ them and USD at home, they are gonna get killed in the Pac 12 this year. They would be a good WCC or Big Sky team, but that's not gonna cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom