PAC 12 WBB News | Page 10 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, other than missing nearly every free throw and 3 pointer and tossing the ball away about a dozen times, we did alright. Definitely the Cameron Brink coming out party - just wish folks with terrestrial television had been allowed to see it!
Was sad to miss this game, (as well as others as I just got back from a trip to Chicago). Happy to come away with the win, and hopefully FTs and turnovers can be fixed moving forward, as well as getting Jones back to 100%.

I'm so glad to see Brink getting extended PT that was missing last year, and taking advantage of it in that. I'm guessing this is the first 20/20 game since Chiney? By any means, impressive, and am looking forward to seeing her continued development over the seasons.

Reaction Score
Watching Brinks play last season, I felt she might have been the most dominant player in the country for the time she was in the game. She looked like one of the few WCBB players who could carry a team especially from the post posiition.

Reaction Score
Watching Brinks play last season, I felt she might have been the most dominant player in the country for the time she was in the game. She looked like one of the few WCBB players who could carry a team especially from the post posiition.
I think that’s true. Brink has star potential, and at times, star readiness.

She’s still not overly efficient from the field, she’s a turnover machine, and she struggles from the free throw line, but when Stanford needs production, she produces — points, boards, blocks, assists. She’s a finesse-style post with sensational defensive skills from what I’ve seen.

My only qualm is that I’ve seen her involved in quite a few plays that required official review for escalation — but even if she has some nasty in her, Stanford looks like a team that could benefit from some fire of late.

Consensus? Stellar forward/post that’s fast emerging as among the nation’s best.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She’s a finesse-style post with sensational defensive skills from what I’ve seen.

My only qualm is that I’ve seen her involved in quite a few plays that required official review for escalation — but even if she has some nasty in her, Stanford looks like a team that could benefit from some fire of late.
These 2 things don't really jive. I'd argue she's not a finesse player, she's fairly physical despite being thin.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford 4-12 from the charity stripe in the loss to USF. Well below 50% as a team the last 3 games. Certainly Brink is contributing to that, but it's the whole team. Why is this such a struggle?

Stanford scored 54 today. 23 for Brink, 14 for Demetre...not much else for the rest. 9 (all on 3's of course) from Jump, combined 8 for the Hulls. That's it. No points from Prechtel, Belibi, Jones, Wilson, etc. Something is really not right with Stanford to start the season.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Stanford 4-12 from the charity stripe in the loss to USF. Well below 50% as a team the last 3 games. Certainly Brink is contributing to that, but it's the whole team. Why is this such a struggle?

Stanford scored 54 today. 23 for Brink, 14 for Demetre...not much else for the rest. 9 (all on 3's of course) from Jump, combined 8 for the Hulls. That's it. No points from Prechtel, Belibi, Jones, Wilson, etc. Something is really not right with Stanford to start the season.
It looked to me like Tara wanted the team to be less dependent upon Brink to start the second half, and it worked to the extent that Demetre and Jump made a bunch of 3's.

I assume that Jones is still hurt and/or rusty and that explains her lack of productivity points-wise at present. The player who is most puzzling to me is Lexie Hull. She's never been the most efficient scorer but she's always been good for more points (and sometimes big ones) than she's been putting up lately, and a fair number of her shots don't even come close to the basket.

Maybe the team's depth has become a minus instead of a plus?

Reaction Score
PAC not exhibiting the dominance most of us expected before the season. Of course they may have the toughest schedule of all the conferences.

Reaction Score
Huge shoutout to South Florida! Holy smokes! Caught a little bit of the game. South Florida is a scrappy team! South Florida is the definition of that expression "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". Huge win for that South Florida program. Congrats, Coach Fernandez and South Florida players!!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No idea what to expect tomorrow with Stan vs Maryland, I may email Brenda and see if we can borrow Owusu :rolleyes:
I'll make a bold prediction--a lot of missed FTs by Stanford. Can they even hit 60% in a game?

edit--I looked it up--hitting 55% as a team, that is absolutely atrocious. That number has plummeted after the last 3 games. Brink at 44% isn't even the worst on the team, that honor goes to Iriafen at 38%. At this point pretty much anyone other than Wilson, Jones or Lacie you don't want going to the FT line.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Overall a terrible day for the Pac 12. Ranked teams Stanford, UCLA and Oregon St. all lost, also Utah. Wins by Arizona and Cal, I think that's all. Covid saved USC from losing to Iowa. Poor offense seems to be a common refrain.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Overall a terrible day for the Pac 12. Ranked teams Stanford, UCLA and Oregon St. all lost, also Utah. Wins by Arizona and Cal, I think that's all. Covid saved USC from losing to Iowa. Poor offense seems to be a common refrain.
Don't forget the loss by Arizona State :)

UCLA shouldn't be ranked. It's clear they're nowhere near a top 25 team, not even top 50, at least until they can get some other players healthy.

Oregon State lost to a higher-ranked team, so not a big deal really. They have a chance for vindication against Notre Dame -- and they better make good on it, or ELSE :mad:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon State lost to a higher-ranked team, so not a big deal really. They have a chance for vindication against Notre Dame -- and they better make good on it, or ELSE
Maybe NBD to you, but this was a winnable game and they didn't get it done. Their OOC is fairly weak, this and ND are really their only chances for good noncon wins, and they already let the first one get away. This is the kind of thing that can hurt seeding. Committee has already dinged OSU in years past, doesn't seem to matter that much how they do in conference.

Reaction Score
The ladies from Cal just keep on winning. 5-0!! Saving the Pac-12 ;) :cool:

Bring on Ole Miss

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maybe NBD to you, but this was a winnable game and they didn't get it done. Their OOC is fairly weak, this and ND are really their only chances for good noncon wins, and they already let the first one get away. This is the kind of thing that can hurt seeding. Committee has already dinged OSU in years past, doesn't seem to matter that much how they do in conference.
Doesn't seem to matter how much they do in conference? Not sure what evidence you're basing this on.

Oregon State has been seeded #2 more than once, so it doesn't seem to be a permanent vendetta from the committee. AFAICT OSU's seed has always been based on the quality wins and notable losses that end up on their resume.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was a tough day for the PAC-12. It is how you finish, not how you start. With regard to the Oregon State Game, I am not discouraged at all. I rewatched the game this morning, and this is my view (after many OSU pre-seasons under my belt):

May be a stretch to say I'm encouraged from this game, but I am. First BIG game for many players on this team, and it showed. Freshmen looked like freshmen tonight, but had some decent moments. Tea Adams got a lot of minutes at the point, and right now, Tea Adams is our best point guard. Tea needs these minutes. Kennedy and Taya are unbelievable defensive players. Naz Hillmon was not the force she is in every other game, and Kennedy made her change her shots, or just capped her numerous times. Taya Corosdale was also great defensively. So, not discouraged about our defense, it is actually pretty solid at this stage of the season. Our offense is another story. If you consider all the "new" players, and "young" players, this sort of performance makes sense against a veteran team. We will get better. Need more time with each other. Perhaps we will see a better performance against the Irish. Have to limit the turnovers, and make a few more lay-ups. GO BEAVS!

Reaction Score

Definitely perplexing.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Definitely perplexing.
It seems like we often do this song and dance with Stanford in November and December. They'll look out of sorts, nothing flowing, underachieving compared to the talent on the roster. I have little doubt they'll figure it out and, like they always seem to do, they'll be a much better team come February and March. A lot of this is growing pains as they get used to life without their former floor general.

Reaction Score
It seems like we often do this song and dance with Stanford in November and December. They'll look out of sorts, nothing flowing, underachieving compared to the talent on the roster. I have little doubt they'll figure it out and, like they always seem to do, they'll be a much better team come February and March. A lot of this is growing pains as they get used to life without their former floor general.
Well stated Plebe. Tara plays a lot of individuals in the pre-season. Stanford's coaching staff are superb, and they will have Stanford ready for PAC-12, PAC-12 Tourney, and the NCAA. Nobody will want Stanford in their NCAA Bracket come Tournament time.

Reaction Score
I get your point but I'm still a tad surprised. Maybe it's because of how they played last season under much more unusual and challenging circumstances.

Not saying they should have picked up where they left off. Maybe it's wrong of me to think so, but I thought there would be some continuity considering a large portion of the team returned this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven't seen all of Stanford's games. About their lack of PG issues...is Lacie actually being used as a PG? She's started 5 of 6 games and is actually 2nd on the team in mpg, behind Jones and just a fraction ahead of Lexie. Wilson is only play 18 mpg, Hamilton has only played in 4 of 6 games and is only averaging 6 mpg, Van Gytenbeek has only played 2 games and 8 mpg. Tara must have her reasons, but there seem to be more likely candidates to handle the point who just aren't getting PT. Lacie is 2nd on the team in assists and 20/12 ATO isn't bad, but she's not much of a scoring threat. Just don't see her as a 29 mpg player, not with this roster anyway.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm not overly surprised by any of yesterday's results other than that Arizona so narrowly escaped Vandy. Oregon St., as Lo noted, has had a lot of personnel changes at the 1-3 positions, is reincorporating Kennedy Brown back into the lineup after a season and a half away, and is still adjusting after losing all of their offensive firepower from the Tudor/Pivec/Slocum/Goodman era. They were kind of a hot mess for most of last season and only finally started to gel at the end of the season.

UCLA is not surprising since they've literally lost almost half the team to recent injuries. Brutal. Oregon has similarly had to adjust to a lot of missing personnel. For that reason, I rated them much lower than AP/Coaches/BYers in the most recent poll because I didn't think either was a solid top 20 team with so much sudden missing personnel.

Stanford, I'm still not quite sure. Something has seemed off the past few games, especially with Jones coming back from her mystery ailment. And in general, the team seems tight and in their own heads when it comes to both three pointers and free throws. A ton of open shots that miss badly. It just seems like we're not mentally where we want to be right now, and I think that extends beyond missing Kiana Williams. She was for sure a stabilizing influence, but I think something is going on beyond that. Hopefully, as others have said, Tara will know how to right the ship as she has done so many times before.

Reaction Score
I'll make a bold prediction--a lot of missed FTs by Stanford. Can they even hit 60% in a game?

edit--I looked it up--hitting 55% as a team, that is absolutely atrocious. That number has plummeted after the last 3 games. Brink at 44% isn't even the worst on the team, that honor goes to Iriafen at 38%. At this point pretty much anyone other than Wilson, Jones or Lacie you don't want going to the FT line.
Colorado also stinks at free throw line, with Sherrod missing four out of four. Since I am restricted in referring to Colorado’s “soul crushing” defense, I will just say they held the 4-1 Louisanna Tech to 16 points in first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom