OT: World Cup | Page 54 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Should that have been a goal for Colombia that was called back? I couldn't hear what was going on and I didn't get enough views of it. At first blush, it looked legit on the reply.
Offsides on the original free kick - guy leaned a half-torso off and was involved in the play on the original header before it started pinging around.

Reaction Score
That was a nasty hit on neymar. It will be interesting to see how injured he is.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Odd coincidence: that is exactly how my back was fractured while playing in a soccer practice in 1994...not that I could ever play like Neymar.

Reaction Score
Caught the very end of the France/Germany match after 4 hours in the car this morning. I thought France was better; but, Germany held it's structure in its own end and being Germany, surgically killed France on an error made on a set piece. Different players, different coaches, different kits different stadiums, same Germany. France has a lot of youth though. It will be interesting to see if they can stay together and develop like the Les Blues from the late 1990's. If yes, they will be back.

The Brazil/Colombia match was very open, back and forth; but not too many scoring chances. I thought Brazil did well containing Colombia's speed. Jay Rodriguez is legit; but, clearly he was hampered by Brazil fouling him just about every touch. The ref really needed to pull out a Yellow much earlier to calm things down and then Yellowed Rodriguez o the first foul he committed. Brail found the gaps that Colombia left while attacking and earned their two goals; but, then, they went into a shell and were lucky not to have the game tied. The PK was legit and Brazil was lucky that it was not a Red for impeding a goal scoring opportunity. The foul on Neymar was rough and should have also drawn a card. Feel bad for him. Neymar hurt is own team and will also miss the semi for a playground stunt 'accidently' running into the keeper while punting. Brazil is going to be undermanned and carrying a lot of pressure on it's shoulders against a good (not great) German team who has proven that it wins game playing pretty soccer or ugly soccer. I think the ref will be a key factor in the game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
was lucky that it was not a Red for impeding a goal scoring opportunity. The foul on Neymar was rough and should have also drawn a card. Feel bad for him. Neymar Thiago hurt is own team and will also miss the semi for a playground stunt 'accidently' running into the keeper while punting. Brazil is going to be undermanned and carrying a lot of pressure on it's shoulders against a good (not great) German team who has proven that it wins game playing pretty soccer or ugly soccer. I think the ref will be a key factor in the game.

Not having their best player, and frankly, their only truly dynamic threat, along with their captain and best defender is going to be a monumental task for Brazil. Their defense was already suspect prior to losing Thiago. Germany has too many weapons in my opinion.

Not that it matters, but just a small correction above.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Odd coincidence: that is exactly how my back was fractured while playing in a soccer practice in 1994...not that I could ever play like Neymar.

Did you completely recover? Do you think this could be career threatening?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

While we don't yet know the full extent of the injury report, it does not sound like this will be the case.

A cracked vertebrae often heals up like new. He'll be in a brace for 15 days. The main problem right now is being uncomfortable sleeping.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It really depends upon what injury he has. If he has a stress fracture...similar to what Embiid had...then the prognosis for full recovery is very good.

A physician for ESPN was speculating that this might actually be a fracture of the spinous process...which, if true would have a good prognosis (I don't see how the mechanism of injury would work for that type of injury).

What I had was spondylolysis which is related to a weakness of the pars interarticularis that connects the spinous processes. Up to 6% of everyone has this type of weakness. The injury predisposes the vertebral body at that level of the spine to be able to shift forward, which can cause nerve roots to be pinched. This type of injury is treated with physical therapy but if the actual shift occurs, surgery can be indicated.
If this is what he had, the prognosis is not as good (I have dealt with varying degrees of pain for 20 years). I did continue to play soccer for 2 more years after this injury and would have played longer if my schedule had otherwise allowed.

In either case, I suspect that he will be able to play at close to the same level, but if it is spondylolysis, he may be prone to set backs.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It really depends upon what injury he has. If he has a stress fracture...similar to what Embiid had...then the prognosis for full recovery is very good.

A physician for ESPN was speculating that this might actually be a fracture of the spinous process...which, if true would have a good prognosis (I don't see how the mechanism of injury would work for that type of injury).

What I had was spondylolysis which is related to a weakness of the pars interarticularis that connects the spinous processes. Up to 6% of everyone has this type of weakness. The injury predisposes the vertebral body at that level of the spine to be able to shift forward, which can cause nerve roots to be pinched. This type of injury is treated with physical therapy but if the actual shift occurs, surgery can be indicated.
If this is what he had, the prognosis is not as good (I have dealt with varying degrees of pain for 20 years). I did continue to play soccer for 2 more years after this injury and would have played longer if my schedule had otherwise allowed.

In either case, I suspect that he will be able to play at close to the same level, but if it is spondylolysis, he may be prone to set backs.

Reaction Score
Not having their best player, and frankly, their only truly dynamic threat, along with their captain and best defender is going to be a monumental task for Brazil. Their defense was already suspect prior to losing Thiago. Germany has too many weapons in my opinion.

Not that it matters, but just a small correction above.

Thanks. I agree that Brazil is in trouble against Germany. Plus, throw in the weight of an entire country's dreams on their shoulders and Brazil is in deep. That said, I do believe the ref will be a wild card. If they get help like they did against Croatia, Brazil will win.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thanks. I agree that Brazil is in trouble against Germany. Plus, throw in the weight of an entire country's dreams on their shoulders and Brazil is in deep. That said, I do believe the ref will be a wild card. If they get help like they did against Croatia, Brazil will win.

Heck, or Colombia. They beat the out of James Rodriguez most of the game.

Reaction Score
Heck, or Colombia. They beat the out of James Rodriguez most of the game.

Did you see that Brazil is appealing Thiago Silva's suspension? His school yard play was foolish and the card was well deserved. If Brazil wins the appeal, Germany may consider putting in scrubs for the semi as they will not win that game.

Also, see that Johansson is out for 4 months for ankle surgery? Guess that explains why he never saw the pitch again for the US after Portugal. I wonder when that injury happened.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Did you see that Brazil is appealing Thiago Silva's suspension? HIs school yard play was foolish and the card was well deserved. if Brazil wins the appeal, Germany may consider putting in scrubs for the semi as they will not win that game.

Also, see that Johansson is out for 4 months for ankle surgery? Guess that explains why he never saw the pitch again for the US after Portugal. I wonder when that injury happened.

Didn't see that. Interesting, must have been in training because he didn't really struggle physically during his last game.

No way in hell even FIFA, in all their corruptitude, will allow Silva to play. The firestorm would be unquenchable.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Did you see that Brazil is appealing Thiago Silva's suspension? His school yard play was foolish and the card was well deserved. If Brazil wins the appeal, Germany may consider putting in scrubs for the semi as they will not win that game.

yeah i really don't see fifa overturning the suspension at all... two great games tomorrow and wednesday, I still have Argentina and Germany in the Finals with Argentina winning it all... Brasil I think is playing undisciplined and sloppy football while Germany is playing like a monster... Holland is playing ridiculously right now but I see Argentina and Messi on a mission to win the World Cup in Brasil

Reaction Score
I think Germany is the strongest team left, especially now with Brazil missing their two most important players.

Argentina/Netherlands is a toss-up for me- both defenses are suspect, but I think the Netherlands' is a bit weaker and if Argentina is going with Messi, Aguero, and Higuain up front, they'll have their hands full.

All this being said, these are all heavyweights, so it would not surprise me to see a Dutch/Brazil final.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I want Argentina to win because I cannot take watching another Holland game. They literally try to put you to sleep and then score. The game vs. Costa Rica was hands down the worst of this World Cup.

Germany vs. Argentina would be great fun.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think Germany is the strongest team left, especially now with Brazil missing their two most important players.

Argentina/Netherlands is a toss-up for me- both defenses are suspect, but I think the Netherlands' is a bit weaker and if Argentina is going with Messi, Aguero, and Higuain up front, they'll have their hands full.

All this being said, these are all heavyweights, so it would not surprise me to see a Dutch/Brazil final.

None of the teams left feature a scary defense.

Argentina is really hurt by the loss of Di Maria though. Outside of Messi's goal scoring, Di Maria has been their best player in this tournament. A lot will hinge on Higuain continuing the form of last game, and Aguero improving his.

Germany is the Team to beat imo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I want Argentina to win because I cannot take watching another Holland game. They literally try to put you to sleep and then score. The game vs. Costa Rica was hands down the worst of this World Cup.

A lot of that was due to Costa though. They packed 10 guys in for much of the game and appeared to be playing for penalties.

Reaction Score

Germany vs. Argentina would be great fun.

I've been (or was) a huge Dutch soccer fan for a while now, and I have to say that it's amazing how they've gone from producing world class players and incredibly likable teams to what they are now.

They still have talent and can occasionally be fun to watch, but gone are the days of Van Basten, Gullit, Bergkamp, Davids, Overmars, Kluivert, and so on.

I guess I'm still pulling for them for the sake of nostalgia (although I wouldn't mind seeing Messi win) because I think Germany and Brazil have been to the top often enough.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I've been (or was) a huge Dutch soccer fan for a while now, and I have to say that it's amazing how they've gone from producing world class players and incredibly likable teams to what they are now.

They still have talent and can occasionally be fun to watch, but gone are the days of Van Basten, Gullit, Bergkamp, Davids, Overmars, Kluivert, and so on.

I guess I'm still pulling for them for the sake of nostalgia (although I wouldn't mind seeing Messi win) because I think Germany and Brazil have been to the top often enough.

I absolutely love watching Robben play, but for the diving and histrionics. Same way I feel about Suarez and his biting/diving. Love to watch Van Persie as well.

That said, I've no interest in seeing the Dutch win, not the least of which being their backup goalie was a total in PKs against Costa Rica.

I want a Germany Argentina final right now. Germany is the best team left, and Argentina has Messi (who is a good guy and a joy to watch). I'd want Brazil Argentina if Neymar was still available.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I want Messi to carry that team all the way to the cup. The 538 article on him the other day was fantastic, and really underscores how much better he is than literally everyone else, including Cristiano Ronaldo. Do yourselves a favor and read this; it's brilliant. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Finally read the article. I was flabbergasted just how much separation there is between Messi/CRonaldo and the rest of the field in Overall Scoring Production. The gulf is huge.

A layman's observational perspective tells me that Messi is a superior player to CRonaldo because he is a far more complete player. There's not much he doesn't do very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom