OT: World Cup | Page 58 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Ian Darke is to Soccer what Doc Emrick is to Hockey. Neither should ever not be allowed announce their sports' biggest games unless physically unable to do so.

Alas, the next world cup is still over 1,450 days away.

It's true; Darke really is the best of the best! I can still hear him in my head saying, "It's John Brooks!!! It's John Brooks!!!"

To have to go from him to the clowns on FOX would be brutal...

Reaction Score
Well, looks like Maradona is still an :

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cu...-maradona-lionel-messi-award-a-marketing-plan

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have given Messi the Golden Ball. He definitely had moments of magic, and save Argentina on a number of occasions, but in terms of overall play, I do not think he was the best.

I think James, Robben, and Mueller played consistently better overall than Messi.

I found myself in the same position, I like Messi and cannot stand the Hand of Coke; but, I have to agree with him on that point. Messi did not deserve it. I would have gone with Mueller over James and Robben simply because of the fact that his team won it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I found myself in the same position, I like Messi and cannot stand the Hand of Coke; but, I have to agree with him on that point. Messi did not deserve it. I would have gone with Mueller over James and Robben simply because of the fact that his team won it.
agreed with your comment, messi is my favorite player but he didnt deserve it, just like i felt like ochoa was up there with noir... didnt read the article, i cant stand maradonna really... messi was good but james and robben were better

Reaction Score
I made it a point to watch this game apart from my soccer watching friends and family. That way at least one more household could contribute to the ratings. ;)

I watched it up at a lake cabin in the Adirondacks on a 12" TV with so-so satellite reception. Was too damn lazy to drive in a monsoon to the nearest sports bar about 20 miles away. Luckily, I was with one of my oldest friends, who, like me played soccer on her high school team and she is knowledgeable and into sports. Her wife also joined us as she is from Colombia and naturally into futball. We also talked another girl's son into the game; but, the other kids there was too busy playing DS. Thus, my friend's wife and I put back a few Brooklyn summer ale's and my fiend, who does not drink, happily indulged in the pint of Ben & Jerry's American Dreams ice cream I bought for her.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's true; Darke really is the best of the best! I can still hear him in my head saying, "It's John Brooks!!! It's John Brooks!!!"

To have to go from him to the clowns on FOX would be brutal...

If that was Gus, there would have been a pause, then Gus yelling "USA,USA", then the player ID.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ray Hudson is indeed "majesterial!" Here's one of my favorites, with Ronaldinho. "As electrifying as a hairdryer thrown into a hot tub, my friend!" I particularly like when he lets the kid know that he'll never be as good:

i remember that goal, it was his last season and he was having a rough year at barca

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
To be fair, of the three guys (Wynalda, Barton, and Johnson), Johnson is the most likeable. The other two are brutally bad...
i really like balboa, he did the olympics a few years ago when argentina won it and he did a great job

Reaction Score
To be fair, of the three guys (Wynalda, Barton, and Johnson), Johnson is the most likeable. The other two are brutally bad...

I heard FOX hired Piers Morgan as analyst as well. Not sure if that was an Onion article or not.

Reaction Score
As FYI, given all the discussion around the World Cup and "the other football" in general across the various BY forums, there is a new "Soccer" specific forum on Off-Topic board just created. One thread from the FB Forum was moved over there, ideally will get some traction for those on the various boards interested in keeping the discussions going into European seasons (EPL, La Liga, Series A, Champions League, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom