OT: World Cup | Page 57 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good stats- but Robben had the best chance for the Dutch in the 90th minute- he really could've scored but poked his touch too far ahead in the box, allowing Mascherano to dive in and get a foot on it. It might not be considered a 'shot on goal' but it was one of the best chances of the game for either team.

It's not a chance if you don't even get a shot off. In the words of the Wayne Gretzky, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Funny how everyone saw the game differently. I felt Argentina outplayed the Dutch, though as you say, the teams were evenly matched. That said, I literally felt one moment of drama from the Dutch the entire game (Robbin effort). One. In 120+ minutes.

I think we all agree that it was a pretty uneventful semi. I'm hoping the Final far exceeds the two semifinal games (the second one dull, and the first with no drama). Hopefully the Germans score early, forcing Argentina to open up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's funny that people are arguing that either ARG and NED were sitting back behind the ball, and seems pretty clear they both were. Neither team was over-committing on offense, and relying on pacey playmakers (Messi/Robben) to generate chances without giving up counters the other way. That led to very few chances for either team and a boring 0 goals scored before penalties.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Going into this tournament, I felt like Argentina was the team to beat. If Angel Di Maria is ready to go on Sunday, I still think that they'll come out on top. It doesn't help that they have a day less rest after 120 minutes of play, but I think they have all the pieces to beat Germany. It should be a really tight game, though, and I have the funny suspicion that we'll see PK's...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Going into this tournament, I felt like Argentina was the team to beat. If Angel Di Maria is ready to go on Sunday, I still think that they'll come out on top. It doesn't help that they have a day less rest after 120 minutes of play, but I think they have all the pieces to beat Germany. It should be a really tight game, though, and I have the funny suspicion that we'll see PK's...

This is the final I predicted, and I had Argentina winning. Germany will attack, which will allow counters. Who capitalizes? The Argentines are not great on D when they are attacking. I think they sit back and hope Messi creates something with individual brilliance. The Germans are a better "team" and have plenty of skill. If Germany can score early as they did against Brazil, Argentina will need to come out of its shell and we should have a hell of a game.

Reaction Score
This is the final I predicted, and I had Argentina winning. Germany will attack, which will allow counters. Who capitalizes? The Argentines are not great on D when they are attacking. I think they sit back and hope Messi creates something with individual brilliance. The Germans are a better "team" and have plenty of skill. If Germany can score early as they did against Brazil, Argentina will need to come out of its shell and we should have a hell of a game.
I think this is right from what my uneducated eyes have observed. Germany will attack and is likely to get 2-1 in chances and Argentina's ability to block and defend in tight ala against the Dutch could stifle those chances. But then Argentina need precise counters led by Messi to score - if they whiff on their few chances they are likely toast and if they play too conservatively the scoring chances will be more like 4-1 and they are doomed.
My prediction is Germany by 2 goals.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I will never forgive the Germans for bombing Pearl Harbor.

Go Argentina!

Reaction Score
I will never forgive the Germans for bombing Pearl Harbor.

Go Argentina!

It was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor.

(Thought I'd be first with the knee-jerk obligatory response).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor.

(Thought I'd be first with the knee-jerk obligatory response).

A lot better to wait until some noob falls for it.

Reaction Score
Argentina exposing Germany's outside backs that are really center backs in the early going. Looks like this could be a good one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Both teams dodged bullets. Fairly even match-up so far. With a healthy di Maria, Argentina would probably be ahead.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The loss of Khadira is a huge detriment to Germany as well, particularly since his substitute, Kramer, left with a concussion

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
boy, di maria would've changed everything and probably finish his chances

Hard to say that since Messi, the best player in the World, didn't finish his chances. Both keepers played well. Both teams played well.

Reaction Score
boy, di maria would've changed everything and probably finish his chances
With a healthy di Maria, Argentina would probably be ahead.
The loss of Khadira is a huge detriment to Germany as well, particularly since his substitute, Kramer, left with a concussion

Yeah put it this way, both sides were missing a Real Madrid player. Germany struggled to maintain the possession they had early on after Kramer left and Schweisteiger started losing body parts, but his replacement Schurrle made the great cross to Goetze.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah put it this way, both sides were missing a Real Madrid player. Germany struggled to maintain the possession they had early on after Kramer left and Schweisteiger started losing body parts, but his replacement Schurrle made the great cross to Goetze.

While Kedeira played well the previous game, he had a poor tournament overall, in getting back to form.

Di Maria (Messi goals and golden ball aside) was Argentina's best player overall throughout the tournament. He was the fastest, most dangerous player on their side. Watching what Lavezzi carve up the the Germans, makes me think Di Maria would have done so much more.

Also, Kedeira comes out, and Low strangly puts in Kramer (who I don't rate). Wen Kramer got hurt, Low put in Schurrle, who is a far superior player and starts on every single team in the tournament.

jmo though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, looks like Maradona is still an :

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cu...-maradona-lionel-messi-award-a-marketing-plan

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have given Messi the Golden Ball. He definitely had moments of magic, and save Argentina on a number of occasions, but in terms of overall play, I do not think he was the best.

I think James, Robben, and Mueller played consistently better overall than Messi.

Reaction Score
A worthy end to a great tournament. I thought Argentina dictated pace and played the game they wanted for the first 60 minutes or so. Argentina failed to finish on their chances, but Germany had a couple as well. Similar to the Germany/Algeria game, Germany just wore them down, and Argentina was gassed going into extra time. I would have liked to see Messi get one, but Germany was the better side and earned it it. The depth Germany has is really amazing. You could field a pretty darn good team with their reserves.

Reaction Score
I think the tourney sputtered a bit at the end. Play got too conservative in the semis and finals. We were 10 minutes away from 2/3 decided by PKs and the other a shellacking/give-up.

But beyond the scoreboard the conservative styles didn't allow the tourney to build to epic matches. The Group stage was probably the best ever.

Reaction Score
I think it's tough to keep that kind of momentum through the tournament when everyone gets tired. They need more liberal substitution rules, and maybe more time between matches.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

One of the comments in the article makes a fantastic point: if the 2018 World Cup in Russia is being covered by FOX, then it is going to be un-friggin-bearable unless they get a new commentating crew prior to that. The crew of Barton, Wynalda, and Gus Johnson is literally unwatchable. I'll have to see the games on mute, for crying out loud!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ian Darke is to Soccer what Doc Emrick is to Hockey. Neither should ever not be allowed to announce their sports' biggest games unless physically unable to do so.

Alas, the next world cup is still over 1,450 days away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34