OT: World Cup | Page 53 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I would've liked to have seen jones taken out. He was lazy playing defense, played a lot of lazy balls which ended up becoming most of their chances. Howard played out of his mind. Unbelievable game. That was Bradley's best game of the tourney. Beasley was a menace the entire game getting up and down the side. I love yedlin kid is going to be a stud. Two things the us needs, one is to get a midfield that will get back and help their defense bc the transition the whole tournament was , two is we need more attacking minded players. Mainly in the midfield/forward. Bradley beckerman and jones seems to be the same player. All in all exciting run, just need to improve and build around yedlin green Johnson etc

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would've liked to have seen jones taken out. He was lazy playing defense, played a lot of lazy balls which ended up becoming most of their chances. Howard played out of his mind. Unbelievable game. That was Bradley's best game of the tourney. Beasley was a menace the entire game getting up and down the side. I love yedlin kid is going to be a stud. Two things the us needs, one is to get a midfield that will get back and help their defense bc the transition the whole tournament was , two is we need more attacking minded players. Mainly in the midfield/forward. Bradley beckerman and jones seems to be the same player. All in all exciting run, just need to improve and build around yedlin green Johnson etc

Only place I'd disagree would be the Jones/Bradley/Beckerman same player thing. MB and Beckerman are superfluous, though one plays more D, the other more midfield facilitator. Jones is totally diff being on the wing. He is a strong too way player, just not yesterday. He's also 31 iirc, so he'll prob need a replacement for next WC. I wish we could clone Yedlin. He looked better and better throughout the Tournament. He's the future.

Rough game for Jones yesterday, which was a surprise given the rest of his tournament.

Would have been nice to sub him for Yedlin, but Johnson injury forced JK's hand. We might have seen Jozy in OT, or Greene earlier if that injury doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
Only place I'd disagree would be the Jones/Bradley/Beckerman same player thing. MB and Beckerman are superfluous, though one plays more D, the other more midfield facilitator. Jones is totally diff being on the wing. He is a strong too way player, just not yesterday. He's also 31 iirc, so he'll prob need a replacement for next WC. I wish we could clone Yedlin. He looked better and better throughout the Tournament. He's the future.

Rough game for Jones yesterday, which was a surprise given the rest of his tournament.

Would have been nice to sub him for Yedlin, but Johnson injury forced JK's hand. We might have seen Jozy in OT, or Greene earlier if that injury doesn't happen.

I thought Twellman was right that a good sub would have been Beckerman for Cameron to close down Hazard and Vertonghen, but then you'd probably have Fellaini coming up high with Beckerman being powerless against him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I thought Twellman was right that a good sub would have been Beckerman for Cameron to close down Hazard and Vertonghen, but then you'd probably have Fellaini coming up high with Beckerman being powerless against him.

They were tough to matchup with. So much variation in styles. They were better than the US yesterday, though we should have won with a few seconds left in regular time.

Wondo's on the team for one reason: to poach. He had the best opp you could ever hope for, and simply flubbed it. I could have handled it had it been saved. But dang Wondo.

Reaction Score
Some if you seem to think we have 7 subs to use or something. Zusi and Bedoya were always going to be the 2 taken out, I just think it should have been AJ and not Wondo sent it. Nonissue with waiting until 105 to make the last sub either since a couple players seemed like they might collapse. Going down to 10 because there was no more subs would have been more of a disaster.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the 2018 team? Will the entire team be from the Bundesliga by then?

Not sure if Howard will be back from 2018 as he will be 39 then; but, it is possible for a Keeper and, fortunately, the US has already has good depth there as Guzan will only be 29 next time around.

On the backline, the US looks to have good depth and opportunities going forward as the only player not likely to be back in 4 years is Beasely as he will be 36; but, with him, who knows. Yedlin will not even be in his prime yet (24) while Johnson will only be 30, so I have high hopes there. Brooks (25) and Gonzalez (29) should be still available and with more opportunities to play with each other should keep thinsg tight in the middle. Besler (32) and Cameroon (32) have outside chances; but, I am hopeful there is younger talent out there. Chandler (28) has the tools and hopefully will get more seasoning.

The midfield will look a lot different as I suspect only Mix (27) and Bradley (30) are likely to be back with everyone else aging out, though Bedoya (32) and Suzi (32) may be able to help as solid subs. I really hope that Green (23) can develop into that #10 creative midfield by then. The US needs more youth on the wings and will be a solid defensive midfield to replace Beckerman (36) and Jones (36).

Up front, I assume that Dempsey’s rap career will be in full swing in 4 years as he’ll be 35, which is ancient for a striker. I suspect that Altidore (28) and Johannnsson (27) will be back and do not be surprised if LD, though he would be 36, tries to make the team just to prove himself. Of the youth movement (Boyd, Agudelo, Wood, Bruin, etc.) looks to be able to offer something in 4 years?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Some if you seem to think we have 7 subs to use or something. Zusi and Bedoya were always going to be the 2 taken out, I just think it should have been AJ and not Wondo sent it. Nonissue with waiting until 105 to make the last sub either since a couple players seemed like they might collapse. Going down to 10 because there was no more subs would have been more of a disaster.

I was actually hoping for Zusi/Yedlin switch (with some mixing and matching on the field) a lot earlier. Zusi wasn't playing well imo.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Not sure if Howard will be back from 2018 as he will be 39 then; but, it is possible for a Keeper and, fortunately, the US has already has good depth there as Guzan will only be 29 next time around.

On the backline, the US looks to have good depth and opportunities going forward as the only player not likely to be back in 4 years is Beasely as he will be 36; but, with him, who knows. Yedlin will not even be in his prime yet (24) while Johnson will only be 30, so I have high hopes there. Brooks (25) and Gonzalez (29) should be still available and with more opportunities to play with each other should keep thinsg tight in the middle. Besler (32) and Cameroon (32) have outside chances; but, I am hopeful there is younger talent out there. Chandler (28) has the tools and hopefully will get more seasoning.

The midfield will look a lot different as I suspect only Mix (27) and Bradley (30) are likely to be back with everyone else aging out, though Bedoya (32) and Suzi (32) may be able to help as solid subs. I really hope that Green (23) can develop into that #10 creative midfield by then. The US needs more youth on the wings and will be a solid defensive midfield to replace Beckerman (36) and Jones (36).

Up front, I assume that Dempsey’s rap career will be in full swing in 4 years as he’ll be 35, which is ancient for a striker. I suspect that Altidore (28) and Johannnsson (27) will be back and do not be surprised if LD, though he would be 36, tries to make the team just to prove himself. Of the youth movement (Boyd, Agudelo, Wood, Bruin, etc.) looks to be able to offer something in 4 years?
Yup. Defense will be set. Keeper will be set. Midfield needs a major upgrade. Forwards should be ok. We need to build around green yedlin Johnson bradley. We need a play making midfielder and a midfield that will sprint back and help out the defense. You need a good/great midfield to build around if you want to get better. The us needs playmakers, players who will take people in the final third. Also they need to form a team that can possess the ball and not look to counter every single time while giving the ball away.

Reaction Score

Guzan is 29 now...will be 33 next cup. Not saying that ages him out by any means, but there are a couple young kids that could definitely push him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Guzan is 29 now...will be 33 next cup. Not saying that ages him out by any means, but there are a couple young kids that could definitely push him.

I wouldn't at all complain if they give Timmy the reigns once again.

Reaction Score
Guzan should be the starter in Russia. Arsenal tried to buy him this season; he's not far behind Howard now, which is crazy. I figure he'll have two if Cropper/Johnson/Hamid behind him, but I could see bring Howard along there.

I figure that Jozy and Johannsson start at the forward spots, with Juan Agudelo, Boyd, and Mac also options.

Bradley probably still starts at midfield, though he'd likely be more defensively-oriented. Green might nab that left wing, and I could see Mix at the attacking midfielder. There are lots of young options here, like Luis Gil, Paul Arriola, Joe Corona, Kelyn Rowe and Brek Shea, as well as potential dual-nationals like Gedion Zalelem, Darlington Nagbe, Shawn Parker, and Luis Fagundez.

As for defenders, Gonzo, Besler, and Brooks are all likely back. I'd love to see Fabian swing back to the left flank and give Yedlin the right back spot. Chandler should challenge here, as should Andrew Farrell and Chris Klute. Jeremy Toljan and Greg Garza are also possible, though I don't think either is sure to play for the US. I could see the same four CBs, with Brooks likely nabbing a starting spot by then. Zak Whitbread could also get in the picture.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Guzan should be the starter in Russia. Arsenal tried to buy him this season; he's not far behind Howard now, which is crazy. I figure he'll have two if Cropper/Johnson/Hamid behind him, but I could see bring Howard along there.

I figure that Jozy and Johannsson start at the forward spots, with Juan Agudelo, Boyd, and Mac also options.

Bradley probably still starts at midfield, though he'd likely be more defensively-oriented. Green might nab that left wing, and I could see Mix at the attacking midfielder. There are lots of young options here, like Luis Gil, Paul Arriola, Joe Corona, Kelyn Rowe and Brek Shea, as well as potential dual-nationals like Gedion Zalelem, Darlington Nagbe, Shawn Parker, and Luis Fagundez.

As for defenders, Gonzo, Besler, and Brooks are all likely back. I'd love to see Fabian swing back to the left flank and give Yedlin the right back spot. Chandler should challenge here, as should Andrew Farrell and Chris Klute. Jeremy Toljan and Greg Garza are also possible, though I don't think either is sure to play for the US. I could see the same four CBs, with Brooks likely nabbing a starting spot by then. Zak Whitbread could also get in the picture.

I really want to have a good defense. Such an achilles heel not to have that.

Reaction Score
I really want to have a good defense. Such an achilles heel not to have that.
Honestly, I could see a backline of Fabian, Brooks, Gonzo, and Yedlin, with Bradley in front of them, being really good. Especially with Guzan in goal.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Some great games today on this great great day... 'Murica!!!

Who do you have in the games today?

I really like Colombia's chances against Brazil, and oddly enough, I think that France is going to give Germany hell today. I still think Germany is the slightly better team, but that game has the feel of going to PK's to me...

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I really like Colombia's chances against Brazil, and oddly enough, I think that France is going to give Germany hell today. I still think Germany is the slightly better team, but that game has the feel of going to PK's to me...

I like Columbia too. Better organization. All depends if they limit Neymar's moments of greatness; it only takes one. Really excited for that game.

I think I like France more than Germany, though I would not have said that prior to the WC. I like the German's talent more than France's, and of course, they have the great Miroslav Klose.

But the German defense is slow as balls, and France has the gas on the wings and through the middle to do damage, though the German's will be able to run with Benzema.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I have Colombia and Germany winning today... Colombia is a beast right now and Brasil looks lost half the time, disorganized and sloppy... I wouldn't be surprised if France won though... Tomorrow I have Argentina and Netherlands winning

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have Colombia and Germany winning today... Colombia is a beast right now and Brasil looks lost half the time, disorganized and sloppy... I wouldn't be surprised if France won though... Tomorrow I have Argentina and Netherlands winning

Tomorrow will be great too..

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I like Columbia too. Better organization. All depends if they limit Neymar's moments of greatness; it only takes one. Really excited for that game.

I think I like France more than Germany, though I would not have said that prior to the WC. I like the German's talent more than France's, and of course, they have the great Miroslav Klose.

But the German defense is slow as balls, and France has the gas on the wings and through the middle to do damage, though the German's will be able to run with Benzema.

What's funny is that if Ribery was healthy, I would be very tempted to favor France against Germany. Ribery is similar to Robben, in my mind. Bayern Munich has had a LOT of success having each one of those fellas on opposite wings...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What's funny is that if Ribery was healthy, I would be very tempted to favor France against Germany. Ribery is similar to Robben, in my mind. Bayern Munich has had a LOT of success having each one of those fellas on opposite wings...

Riberi and valbuena is a lot of gas.

Germans looking good if a little slow. Will be an interesting second half

Reaction Score
Leading scorer and one of the second leading scorers going head to head, both 22 from the home and neighboring countries. Doesn't get much better than this (being that the US is out).

Reaction Score
Jay-Bone said:
Leading scorer and one of the second leading scorers going head to head, both 22 from the home and neighboring countries. Doesn't get much better than this (being that the US is out).

How not to play defense on a corner kick - by Colombia #6

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ref was terrible. Brazil is playing awful yeah they're winning but it's ugly and sloppy

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Should that have been a goal for Colombia that was called back? I couldn't hear what was going on and I didn't get enough views of it. At first blush, it looked legit on the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom