OT: World Cup | Page 51 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Marquez should have played Robben differently. He brought the possibility of a penalty into that play. I think it was a call the referee could make.

The obvious thing is that, in this match and in many others, you saw lots of "impede" in the penalty box. Few are called. I think the lack of consistency - even on Marquez, specifically earlier, points that this controversy is part of the World game today.

I see the word 'impede' and all I can think of is the USA v. Slovenia disallowed goal from 2010. There were at least 4 US players impeded American Football style (actually, Holding is a penalty) and somehow the US still scored, until a referee said no and no reason was given.

Reaction Score
I've seen it over and over. He got tripped, and he made an aggressive move that caused the trip. Did he sell it, sure. But there was sufficient contact for a foul, and I don't think the ref had any option not to call it. I don't think he had lost control of the ball at all. That would be an even bigger controversy if it wasn't called.

It was close. The first half no call was a clear PK as Robben got hit twice.

Reaction Score
4df275f9f8adebcedf867fb36d6dea49_normal.png
Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN)
6/30/14, 11:31 PM
LeBron James doesn't have free agency on his mind, he's headed to Brazil for the U.S.-Belgium game tomorrow, source tells ESPN

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Today's the day!! Messi at 12 and the USA at 4. If both win they play each other Saturday

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Today's the day!! Messi at 12 and the USA at 4. If both win they play each other Saturday

Yeeeeaah buddy! I'm headed to the bar shortly to get my front row seat which I will occupy for the following 6-7 hours.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No word on Kompany, Fellaini yet.

Nor on Jozy.

Reaction Score
Yeeeeaah buddy! I'm headed to the bar shortly to get my front row seat which I will occupy for the following 6-7 hours.
Have fun. It is great reading posts from passionate soccer fans. The World Cup is such a special event. When it ends there is a void similar to how I feel after March Madness is over. The difference being I now have 4 years to wait.

If Belgium and Argentina win I will have 6 of the 8 Quarter Finalists in my bracket. Netherlands and CR were omissions. Both my brackets have Colombia vs. Belgium alternating as the winner. I think Belgium is VERY vulnerable today based on match performance to date in this WC. This side of the bracket is very open though as Argentina has also been less than stellar.

The Colombia vs. Brazil game is going to be incredible. Similar styles so I expect even possession time and some great skilled play. Juan Cuandrado (sp) has been so much fun to watch as the WC assist leader.

Enjoy the games in good health...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Have fun. It is great reading posts from passionate soccer fans. The World Cup is such a special event. When it ends there is a void similar to how I feel after March Madness is over. The difference being I now have 4 years to wait.

If Belgium and Argentina win I will have 6 of the 8 Quarter Finalists in my bracket. Netherlands and CR were omissions. Both my brackets have Colombia vs. Belgium alternating as the winner. I think Belgium is VERY vulnerable today based on match performance to date in this WC. This side of the bracket is very open though as Argentina has also been less than stellar.

The Colombia vs. Brazil game is going to be incredible. Similar styles so I expect even possession time and some great skilled play. Juan Cuandrado (sp) has been so much fun to watch as the WC assist leader.

Enjoy the games in good health...

Great post.

The first game should be no problem. The second will seriously compromise my health no matter what happens.

I have to go to class tonight too. Will be drunk.

Game on!

Reaction Score
I woke up this morning and it belatedly dawned on me how excited I was for the giant Ommegang Three Philosophers in the fridge. I know it's New York, but it smells like Belgium.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I woke up this morning and it belatedly dawned on me how excited I was for the giant Ommegang Three Philosophers in the fridge. I know it's New York, but it smells like Belgium.

Just no authentic Belgian beers...they are banned for the day.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Swiss blowing two great early chances. Longer you let Messi hang around, the 'unluckier' you'll get.

Reaction Score

Drink Allagash, Ommegang, Boulevard, North Coast, etc. American breweries making Belgian-style beer that's in most cases as good as the Belgian stuff.

Reaction Score

And I love a good Belgium wheat in the summer, hope to toast them goodbye with a Hoegarden around 6 PM or so. If the Red Devils win, I may need to put down a few of those XXX Tripel to dull the pain.

Reaction Score
Drink Allagash, Ommegang, Boulevard, North Coast, etc. American breweries making Belgian-style beer that's in most cases as good as the Belgian stuff.
I like Allagash and Ommegang, can't say I have tried the others. I'll put them on the list. I do like a Belgian ale though, give me a Chimay and I'm a pretty happy guy.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What a run by messi!! What a pass by messi! What placement by di maria!!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Wow. Just wow. What an ending to that game. Switzerland literally inches from an equalizer.

Reaction Score
That was heavy drama. I don't think there was a Swiss player left standing when the final whistle blew. They all collapsed onto the ground. Had to be agony.

Well the USA is now in the Final Nine!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Swiss blowing two great early chances. Longer you let Messi hang around, the 'unluckier' you'll get.

I've go to say, I've been highly prophetic lately. That being the case:

Dempsey scores the game winner today.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That was heavy drama. I don't think there was a Swiss player left standing when the final whistle blew. They all collapsed onto the ground. Had to be agony.

Well the USA is now in the Final Nine!
I suppose that is true, but only by virtue of being in the last match of the round. Can the USA get a quick goal and take some pressure off? I don't know if I'm going to survive. I have to pick up my son at daycare. My phone has been charging all day so I can glance at ESPN3 on my way. If a goal is scored in the second half, I may drive off the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom