OT: World Cup | Page 50 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Evra should have gotten a foul for a PK on that last corner. That was a full on bear hug with his hands locked around the Nigerian's stomach so he couldn't jump.

Reaction Score
Evra should have gotten a foul for a PK on that last corner. That was a full on bear hug with his hands locked around the Nigerian's stomach so he couldn't jump.

I know a lot of contact occurs on corners, but I can't understand why they allow that type of impeding by the defender.

They rarely call that, but I think they should.

Reaction Score
bobbygt said:
I know a lot of contact occurs on corners, but I can't understand why they allow that type of impeding by the defender. They rarely call that, but I think they should.

I think it is just because there is too much activity in the box on a corner for one official to track it all. They know they can get away with it. If something like that was called occasionally, people would be a little more careful.

On the whole, I think the ref (who is American) has called a good game. Just didn't see that one. Hoping he's not involved in a controversial call.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
France had a ball cleared off the goal line by a defender and then just now hit the cross bar and had the ball bounce down. As close as it gets.

Reaction Score
I think the ref has been fine.

This game has been up and down- Nigeria starting each half strong, then France coming on later.

France could have scored a couple here- Nigeria looks to be in trouble.

Edit- and there it is!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My earlier post was prophetic. Nigeria' keeper really sucks coming out on crosses. 1-0 France as a result.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
France could have won this 4 or 5 nil. It wasn't close from what I saw. The French attack is among the most fluid I have seen all tournament.

Reaction Score
France could have won this 4 or 5 nil. It wasn't close from what I saw. The French attack is among the most fluid I have seen all tournament.

The game changed late - France really asserted themselves and the win seemed inevitable. First half was dead even - Nigeria had a goal waved off for offsides that was correct but he was off by a hair. They could have gotten a PK on a corner kick on an Ezra bear hug which I alluded to up thread.

There was an injury to Nigeria's central midfielder on a bad tackle in around the 60th minute that more or less collapsed his ankle. I don't know if they have a talent dropoff at that spot, but it was right around then that France was able to start controlling the game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
By the way, why is nobody mentioning the great news that Jozy is cleared to play tomorrow?

Is it a done deal?? If so, that's very very good news for the USA! I think it allows Dempsey and Bradley to play in more comfortable roles on the field.

I'm also hearing rumblings that Kompany and Fellaini might both be out for Belgium for tomorrow. If so, that is BIG BIG news. Losing two high-quality players like that can only help our chances...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
By the way, why is nobody mentioning the great news that Jozy is cleared to play tomorrow?

Love it. Hadn't seen it. Was watching the other game and doing stuff. I knew he'd been training for the last few days though.

This is big, but it is likely going to force the US into an early sub situation. Worth the risk though.

Any word on Kompany?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Further on Altidore: Does Klinnsman start him? Or does he save him for the second half?

I think you have to start him. One because he'll be warm, and that's not a muscle you want to mess with. Two, because if you sub him in the second half, and he reinjures himself, you've just burned 2 subs.

I have just answered my own question. He'll start.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Further on Altidore: Does Klinnsman start him? Or does he save him for the second half?

I think you have to start him. One because he'll be warm, and that's not a muscle you want to mess with. Two, because if you sub him in the second half, and he reinjures himself, you've just burned 2 subs.

I have just answered my own question. He'll start.

Yep. John Infante reached the same conclusion on Twitter. Has to start.

Reaction Score
Love it. Hadn't seen it. Was watching the other game and doing stuff. I knew he'd been training for the last few days though.

This is big, but it is likely going to force the US into an early sub situation. Worth the risk though.

Any word on Kompany?

Kompany's most recent tweets do not address his availability directly but....would lead one to believe he will give it a go.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kompany's most recent tweets do not address his availability directly but....would lead one to believe he will give it a go.

I've just done a bunch of reading and think that this will be the case. Most reports say 50-50, and apparently, Kompany is one tough mother. I think we'll see him. The US should challenge him with runs (probably not with the ball though), just to get his legs moving.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
In other news, Luis Suarez admits guilt and apologies to all and sundry. It's something.

upload_2014-6-30_15-7-30.png

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's something - but history says he has a hard time helping himself the next time he gets hungry for some shoulder or tit meat.

My morbid curiosity hopes there will be a next time. Luis Suarez hungry.

Reaction Score
There was an injury to Nigeria's central midfielder on a bad tackle in around the 60th minute that more or less collapsed his ankle. I don't know if they have a talent dropoff at that spot, but it was right around then that France was able to start controlling the game.

I didnt see it, but heard that tackle should have been a straight red. Not only taking out one of their best players, but should have dropped france down a man. If so, thats a pretty big miss by the American ref.

Reaction Score
Mots010 said:
I didnt see it, but heard that tackle should have been a straight red. Not only taking out one of their best players, but should have dropped france down a man. If so, thats a pretty big miss by the American ref.

Wasn't a clear straight red - he came in late with a tackle ankle high (not from behind) and the end result was bad. It could have been a red and I don't think anyone could have argued due to the severity of the Injury. but I wouldn't call it a "miss". He gave a yellow, which seemed like a fair decision in real time. Don't think you can go red there unless you are completely convinced from your angle of the recklessness/intent to injure.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Germany Algeria 2 an awesome game. AlAlgerian were good.

Reaction Score

Here's the play. Obviously, the tackle was late and did serious damage to his ankle, so it's not enjoyable to watch (no Ware/Theismann type warnings are needed, but it can certainly make you wince). Matuidi went with one foot and didn't go airborne or come in from behind (the things that would typically result in a red), but it ended up causing serious injury due to the timing of the moment he makes contact (when that foot is planted and has nowhere to go). The Italy-Uruguay red was similar, but saw the Italian player put his studs up over the top of the ball and make contact higher up on the leg below the knee, but he didn't cause injury. If the Nigerian player wasn't seriously injured, the yellow would have seemed the right response since it didn't seem like there was intent to injure, but perhaps the USA ref will be graded more harshly by FIFA for not sending him off. I imagine he'd probably show red if he had access to the replay (FWIW, Matuidi was extremely apologetic right away), but in real time, it's one of those things you can't do unless you are positive with what you saw.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/06/30/bl...red-carded-for-brutal-tackle-on-ogenyi-onazi/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom