OT: World Cup | Page 48 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Will respond to all of these after Costa game, but I'd also like to point out that Robben also had lost control of the ball on that last touch.

He knew it, and executed a perfect 10 Swan dive.

It's a rare case where everyone's opinion is correct. Which is why as a defender, you can't put yourself in that position.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Let's go Costa Rica! Get it done in PKs!

Reaction Score
That should be a lesson on how you penalty kick, a million times better than in the Brazil Chile match. Pure class from the Ticos in the pk's and an incredibly gutsy effort being a man down.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For what it's worth:

[Robben] conceded that he had taken one dive earlier in the first half that the referee waved off.

"I have to say, in the first half -- and right away offer my excuses -- I dived. I mustn't do that. It was another stupid action,'' he told Dutch broadcaster NOS.

Mexico captain Marquez told reporters that Robben conceded he had dived in injury time too -- though Robben did not say that on Dutch TV.

"I spoke with him [Robben] after the match and he told me that it was not a penalty,'' Marquez said. "He said that the first foul was a penalty and that one was not called.''

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Good chance Belgium doesn't have Vincent Kompany for the match tomorrow. He missed the final training session. Would be huge if he doesn't go.

Reaction Score
Campbell was just impeded in the box. By some peoples' definitions here, that's a pk
What did you think? If Campbell was impeded, as you say he was, then it was a penalty. That is my definition. What is yours?

Congrats to Costa Rica. They did what was needed to win the game and stymied the Greeks, who simply could not put the ball in the net. The Greeks had their chances and at this level, you have to finish. The Greeks lost the game. Costa Rica, for whatever reason (certainly playing with 10 men does not help) did not play nearly as dominating a game as they did with Uruguay, for example. But as we know from hoops, it is survive and advance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What about the match on Tuesday? That's the one I'm concerned about. ;)
It better not be tomorrow, Q-end at work. I am still on the phone with a customer now...9:30 on Sunday. Really looking forward to Tuesday at 4:00

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What did you think? If Campbell was impeded, as you say he was, then it was a penalty. That is my definition.

It's kind of like calling a hand check foul outside the 3pt line of a tie game with a few seconds left. Technically, by the absolute letter of the law, it's a foul. But everyone in the world knows it's BS.

Reaction Score
I live in Asia so this USA game is at 3am. Brutal, but you do what you got to do. Will be worthless the next day.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I live in Asia so this USA game is at 3am. Brutal, but you do what you got to do. Will be worthless the next day.

Hopefully the US wins. Otherwise, you might as well just take a sick (read 'mental health') day.

Reaction Score
What did you think? If Campbell was impeded, as you say he was, then it was a penalty. That is my definition. What is yours?

Congrats to Costa Rica. They did what was needed to win the game and stymied the Greeks, who simply could not put the ball in the net. The Greeks had their chances and at this level, you have to finish. The Greeks lost the game. Costa Rica, for whatever reason (certainly playing with 10 men does not help) did not play nearly as dominating a game as they did with Uruguay, for example. But as we know from hoops, it is survive and advance.

Greece had a couple of goats today. Mitroglou is not in good form. He looked clumsy as he scuffed that ball at the end. In Champions League, the guy was firing goals left and right. That was exactly the kind of goal he would typically put away. And he blew the 5 on 2 by waiting late to send it to Lazaros, who promptly fired it directly at the keeper. This young kid needs to calm down. Lazaros also missed a streaking wide open Samaras for a sure goal in the first half. On the 5 on 2, Mitroglou had Gekas all alone in the center of the box on his left, as no defender picked him up. From Salpingidis point blank shot that was saved, to Lazaros missing Samaras, to Mitroglou scuffing the ball, Greece had numerous chances to win. Costa Rica only needed that one shot, and it was a goal. But that's how Costa Rica plays, and Costa Rica actually has excellent defenders.

Reaction Score
It's kind of like calling a hand check foul outside the 3pt line of a tie game with a few seconds left. Technically, by the absolute letter of the law, it's a foul. But everyone in the world knows it's BS.
No, it's BS in your strawman. If, as you say by the absolute letter of the law, it's a foul, then it is a foul. What would be BS, is if the same thing happens on the other team and no call is made.

And you have not answered my questions.

But, enough of the Costa Rica v Greece game. I hope neutral fans, with no rooting interest, got some entertainment out of it. Imagine the drama of a USA game in the knockout stages? Hopefully it wont come to penalties, but if it does and the USA prevails, wow. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
Apologies to any Greek fans, but I'm glad they lost. Watching them play is sort of like watching paint dry.

No doubt, they are not very good. BUT, the thing is, they attacked against Costa Rica even before the red card, and they attacked Ivory Coast and had the run of play, so anyone saying the Greeks are dull may be right, BUT they showed more imagination and creativity than the teams they played, which makes the complaints sound rather hollow and, frankly, bizarre and weird. Look, none of these teams, Costa Rica, Greece, Ivory Coast, are very good.

So, I get it. The Greeks are dull. But then you turn around and say, "I can't stand watching the Greeks," but you'd rather watch the teams that were even flatter against the Greeks, like Ivory Coast or Costa Rica? Make no sense.

But I do understand it, because it is the same refrain people have been repeating about UConn basketball, especially in 2011.

The Greek problem is the same as it has always been. They don't have good strikers and can't score. The one guy who has scored often in Champions League (Mitroglou) is so off his game that he is a liability. So what do the Greeks do? They rely on their world class defenders which they keep churning out year after year. Sokratis and Kyriakos Papadopoulos are the much-heralded guys, but this World Cup showed that the kid Manolas is coming on strong. When you have two of the top defenders and practically no strikers, how are you going to play? Counter-attack, like Costa Rica does.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How old is Samaris?(spelling). I like watching him play. Where does he play?

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Hopefully the US wins. Otherwise, you might as well just take a sick (read 'mental health') day.
Aren't we all eligible in our own special ways? Belgium still owes us, let's go Yanks!

Reaction Score
Outside of the first 15 minutes it's impossible to watch Brazil and see them winning the tournament.

Did you see referees in the Brazil v. Croatia game? Throw in that help and their talent, Brazil is still the favorite.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Worst games of this round are both today. Not expecting any surprises. But at least it should give us a heck of a game next time, as those loving and friendly neighbors France and Germany face off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom