OT: World Cup | Page 40 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We do look tired though. duckck Manaus.

Agree. I think the US faded in the second half except for that quick strike at the end because of Manaus. Glad the US does not have a game until Tuesday. If the US had won the group, would have been playing Monday. Need the rest.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll salute you for both of those. I didn't think Beasley would be good enough post-Concacaf, but I'm very impressed with his play- feels like 2002 all over again!

Beckerman has been solid as well.

Well, don't give me more credit than I deserve. While I was clamoring for those two changes for years (literally), I had also been clamoring for Jones to NOT be in the lineup; for someone with better passing skills to replace him (Edu? Other?). But Klinsmann kept with him for the long haul, and he has certainly proven that he can be more than just a brutal tackler. He can really assist the offense (even if I still hold to the fact that he's not a good passer)...

Reaction Score
Zusi sucks on corners (since the winner vs Ghana anyway). Doesn't even give us a chance.

Zusi is usually good on set pieces. I am gave him the benefit of the doubt and placed the blame on the bog that they played on. Germany was not much better. It’s hard to lift the ball with that much water and wet grass clumped around the ball and makes it tricky to keep the plant foot stable.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Of course, the Super Bowl is at night, so people were watching on TV. This was at noon, so people like me were sneakwatching at the office.
Definitely not like for like. But at a soccer match beating the super bowl in any circumstances is another measure of the popularity swoon.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only thing I ever second-guessed him on was the exclusion of Donovan from the roster. I still wonder if in a game like today, where we might have required to get a goal back late in the game, if we wouldn't have seen him insert Donovan for a final push.

If Donovan wasn't good enough to start (and he wasn't), then we didn't need him. He would have been a distraction. I also think the move sets the right tone down the road. Players shouldn't expect credit for what they did in the past.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed.

The only thing I ever second-guessed him on was the exclusion of Donovan from the roster. I still wonder if in a game like today, where we might have required to get a goal back late in the game, if we wouldn't have seen him insert Donovan for a final push. But there is no question that the team is playing much better soccer than they ever have before. There's no question that the vast majority of his substitutions have paid big dividends. And I have always been in favor of two moves that he made: Beckerman in the lineup and Beasley at left back. Those, to me, are the biggest changes for this squad. And Klinsmann deserves the credit...

One other thing I would like to have seen is a capable sub for Jozy. Having to put Clint up there limits our flexibility and his effectiveness.

Reaction Score
Bull call. This ref has been inconsistent.

The ref was somewhat consistent on what is is calling or now except for when the US went offensive, then his call or non-call seemed to go against the US. Beckerman’s Yellow was a perfect example. The one inexcusable action by the ref was standing at the top of the 18 yard box on an obvious crossing play for the US where Jones crashed into him. He had no reason to be there.

Reaction Score
If Donovan wasn't good enough to start (and he wasn't), then we didn't need him. He would have been a distraction. I also think the move sets the right tone down the road. Players shouldn't expect credit for what they did in the past.

1) He was and is good enough to start.
2) Donovan has played and played well as a sub for Klinsmann, leading to positive results for the US, so the "distraction" nonsense is a red herring.
3) Donovan should have been on the team based on his current skill level. It's been said multiple times, but there isn't a better creative attacker in the US player pool, even right now, as evidenced by the rate at which Donovan creates chances vs. every other player in the pool. I've posted those stats in this very thread, but over the last 12 months, he's created as many scoring chances in the US shirt as any two other players combined, and there is a chasm of difference when you include all competitions.

Reaction Score
One other thing I would like to have seen is a capable sub for Jozy. Having to put Clint up there limits our flexibility and his effectiveness.

Yeah, not bringing Eddie Johnson, Terrence Boyd, or Juan Agudelo was a mistake. Dempsey is a much better player when he's playing off a target man.

Reaction Score
I think that Manaus took its toll; then giving Germany an extra days rest didn't help. Finally playing in Recife in rain and a very wet pitch, that takes a lot out of your legs. A dry fast pitch would have helped the US. The German four backs are pretty slow and very vulnerable to speed on the flanks. BS foul on Beasley late. Expect to see Belgium, very talented players; classic sum of the parts is greater than the whole team.

So far you have to give credit to Klinsman. His subs have been good. It would help if Altidore is available if only as a sub for Belgium.

Will the US be able to elevate its game? Will Belgium under achieve again? Belgium is do able, after that it is really unlikely.

Better question, since I won’t have to go back to work after the 4 PM game on Tuesday unlike today’s 12 PM game. How many beers can I put down in 90 minutes? Sadly, I love Belgium beer; but, am giving them up until after the match.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

If Landon would have been a distraction to this team (and I don't know either way), then that's one thing. But let's not pretend that Landon isn't better than Bedoya or Davis CURRENTLY, because that's folly. I'm allowing for the possibility that it is all about distraction and team chemistry, though, so that's why I won't second-guess it any longer...

Reaction Score
Seems odd. Argentina fans have overwhelmed their stadiums with blue and white shirts. Maybe it is since a lot of Argentinians live in Brazil and aren't included in the numbers?

Either way, US has traveled great and been very vocal so that's been awesome. Could help against Belgium.

Uruguay wears the same colors as Argentina…

Reaction Score
Everything Bradley does now is magnified. Jones was pretty bad with the ball today (looked tired) and Bradley had only a couple bad moments (which happen in 90 minute game), while creating most of our chances (Jones over the top. Zusi's shot over the bar, the late header from Dempsey, a long ball to Johnson up the right). Yet everyone is on Bradley again - mostly for that one missed trap that prevented a possible shot.

Bradley's work rate today was excellent putting pressure on the Germans up top. He's fine. We just need him to be elite next week.

And as every has said before, hopefully Altidore is back for Belgium. His role is key to the US’s offense. Plus, with Altidore in, Dempsey, who likely has been impacted by his broken nose, can go back to a goal facing, attacking midfielder (replace Bedoya?) that better suits his creative skills. Belgium, if they play up to their ability, will be a bear though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, don't give me more credit than I deserve. While I was clamoring for those two changes for years (literally), I had also been clamoring for Jones to NOT be in the lineup; for someone with better passing skills to replace him (Edu? Other?). But Klinsmann kept with him for the long haul, and he has certainly proven that he can be more than just a brutal tackler. He can really assist the offense (even if I still hold to the fact that he's not a good passer)...

Who cares if he can pass?? Just Keep scoring goals and being a monster in the midfield. He's been our best player at this world cup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1) He was and is good enough to start.

He would have wilted like a flower on a hot day if he started, especially in Manaus. The Donovan supporters ignore fitness as a factor.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And as every has said before, hopefully Altidore is back for Belgium. His role is key to the US’s offense. Plus, with Altidore in, Dempsey, who likely has been impacted by his broken nose, can go back to a goal facing, attacking midfielder (replace Bedoya?) that better suits his creative skills. Belgium, if they play up to their ability, will be a bear though.

I think one of the things that has been lost from the lack of a striker is not as much the effects on Dempsey (because I think he is effective in both roles, even though he's more effective behind the striker). I think the bigger effect is on Bradley. Bradley is not used to playing that high up the field. He would much rather play a little bit behind that, and with more passing options in front of him. I think that's the main reason why Bradley hasn't looked "himself" so far, but you could see the US trying to correct for that by sending Jones ahead of him on a few runs (one of which Bradley almost connected with him on a 40 yard beautiful pass)...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The ref was somewhat consistent on what is is calling or now except for when the US went offensive, then his call or non-call seemed to go against the US. Beckerman’s Yellow was a perfect example. The one inexcusable action by the ref was standing at the top of the 18 yard box on an obvious crossing play for the US where Jones crashed into him. He had no reason to be there.

Yeah that play at the 18 sacked. Took away an opportunity and if JJ wasn't such a big dude, probably would have hurt a us player.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Who cares if he can pass?? Just Keep scoring goals and being a monster in the midfield. He's been our best player at this world cup.

I STILL care that he can't pass. But there are a couple of things to acknowledge:

1) You're right; he HAS been our best player to this point in the tourney.
2) His on-ball defending is so much more valuable at this point than his creation pushing forward.
3) If he hits another laser beam like the one he hit against Portugal, I'm going to ask him to marry me...

Reaction Score
Without Donovan we made it to the round of 16. No two ways about that. And we were 30 seconds away from beating Portugal. The only thing that Don could have done would have been to get us past Germany. Would he have made that difference? As an older player off a game in the jungle heat?
So far the decision to leave him home hasn't seemed to hurt us.

Reaction Score

Depth was always my argument for keeping LD on the roster (over Davis) as LD can play center midfield, attacking wing, and goal poacher versus Davis who only seems to be able do to set pieces or Wondo who is only effective as a goal poacher at this level. I would have swapped Wondo for Johnson or Boyd who can somewhat mirror Altidore’s body and skill type as it’s one of those positions the US desperately needs.

Reaction Score
He would have wilted like a flower on a hot day if he started, especially in Manaus. The Donovan supporters ignore fitness as a factor.

Donovan has, for his career, always been one of the most fit players in the world. He finished fourth in the beep test at camp. This nonsense about Donovan being out of shape or whatever is absurd.

Reaction Score
Without Donovan we made it to the round of 16. No two ways about that. And we were 30 seconds away from beating Portugal. The only thing that Don could have done would have been to get us past Germany. Would he have made that difference? As an older player off a game in the jungle heat?
So far the decision to leave him home hasn't seemed to hurt us.

Given how poor the offense has been, and Bradley's attacking in general, it's pretty hard to imagine that Donovan wouldn't have made this team better. Contrary to the Klinsmann whisper campaign, Donovan remains one of the fittest US players. If you're only going to look at the 45 minutes he played in the Mexico friendly with tendinitis, then you aren't going to get a very good picture of his skill level.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Belgium's midfielder Defour just got a red card. He's considered a pretty OK player.

Maybe this helps the USA.

It would REALLY help the USA if Korea could beat them by a couple and send them into second place to play Germany. However, that would require at least 2 goals from a mostly toothless Korean offense, and Algeria is currently trailing Russia by 1-0. However, with one more half to play, that would be hilarious if the tides would turn and Germany gets screwed by the red card offense... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom