OT: World Cup | Page 39 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
People are stupid. They were calling for benching Bradley after his first 2 rough matches. And while he wasn't good, they neglected to mention who they'd put in attacking mid, with Dempsey locked in at striker. There is no one else.

Everything Bradley does now is magnified. Jones was pretty bad with the ball today (looked tired) and Bradley had only a couple bad moments (which happen in 90 minute game), while creating most of our chances (Jones over the top. Zusi's shot over the bar, the late header from Dempsey, a long ball to Johnson up the right). Yet everyone is on Bradley again - mostly for that one missed trap that prevented a possible shot.

Bradley's work rate today was excellent putting pressure on the Germans up top. He's fine. We just need him to be elite next week.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
USA bought 196,838 tickets. The next most was neighbor Argentina, at 61,021. Columbia is around 55k and Mexico 34.5k So even among SA teams, we are more than 3 times the next country.

I have a feeling they are counting ticket sales by the purchasing address/country. For example my company's CEO (who lives in US) bought tickets to several matches last week, but is originally from Chile(and a fan of Chile). I can imagine a decent portion of US purchases were by people who are fans of the other countries. Nonetheless, its still an impressive number even with this.

Reaction Score
Everything Bradley does now is magnified. Jones was pretty bad with the ball today (looked tired) and Bradley had only a couple bad moments (which happen in 90 minute game), while creating most of our chances (Jones over the top. Zusi's shot over the bar, the late header from Dempsey, a long ball to Johnson up the right). Yet everyone is on Bradley again - mostly for that one missed trap that prevented a possible shot.

Bradley's work rate today was excellent putting pressure on the Germans up top. He's fine. We just need him to be elite next week.

Totally agree about Bradley. I thought he played well today and he was much more with it as far as putting pressure on the ball defensively (I think the last game was an anomaly and he was just spent).

That ball over the top to Jones was really nice as well.

As I thought a few games ago, Bradley does not have much help in the midfield as far as touch and quick passing, so a lot of what happens in the center of the field falls on him, both positively and negatively.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

While I can't lie, I'm worried about his lack of composure in the area, I absolutely agree with this last point. I had no problem with his game today and noticed him tracking back and playing scrappy D throughout. He'll never be an elite defender, and you have to be ok with that, you just want to see the effort and execution there on D. And it was today.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Totally agree about Bradley. I thought he played well today and he was much more with it as far as putting pressure on the ball defensively (I think the last game was an anomaly and he was just spent).

That ball over the top to Jones was really nice as well.

As I thought a few games ago, Bradley does not have much help in the midfield as far as touch and quick passing, so a lot of what happens in the center of the field falls on him, both positively and negatively.

I thought Beckerman was phenomenal coming out of the back today. He really stood out for me today by playing mostly very smart soccer. Good tackling, good passing.

I'd say that Bradley's D was poor the first game as well, but athletically, he doesn't remotely match up with the Ghanaians.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
We would have been run into the friggin ground.
I am just saying the perception on what day your wins occurred. Whether its the first day or the last day. Win first/lose last - you back in. Lose first/Win last - you earned it. Its silly.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I am just saying the perception on what day your wins occurred. Whether its the first day or the last day. Win first/lose last - you back in. Lose first/Win last - you earned it. Its silly.

Ahh Gotcha.

Reaction Score
I thought Beckerman was phenomenal coming out of the back today. He really stood out for me today by playing mostly very smart soccer. Good tackling, good passing.

I'd say that Bradley's D was poor the first game as well, but athletically, he doesn't remotely match up with the Ghanaians.

Agree about Beckerman defensively. He's another player that I'm slowly warming to.

But he is not a player that can move forward with the ball. As soon as he gets it, he slows down play and usually plays it back to the defense or Howard. This is normally what you want out of this position, but if Bradley is playing it safe also, it leaves Jones as the only other playmaker in the center of the field and although he's shown me a lot more offensively than I expected, he's still a defensive midfielder first.

Maybe I'm just not seeing the field as well as others better equipped, but to me, the US's best offense is through Beasley and Johnson.

In all, the US advancing is awesome. I think it's a major accomplishment. I just have some worries about the playmaking going forward, which is still just nitpicking.

Reaction Score
Dang wet pitch. Hard on goalies and favors their shooting and likely greater number of chances.

The field sucked, hurt the US team speed; but, also impacted Germany’s passing. Neither keeper seemed to have an issue with it. Thought it was a wash.

Reaction Score
Why use Green in this game of all games? Loew is his manager and knows his game. I think Davis may have better ball control skills than Bedoya.

My thought was at the time if the US’s spot was secure by the second half, which it was not until the end, then put Green in in a less competitive situation to lock him into the US team.

Overall, I have no idea why Davis was in there over Bedoya.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My thought was at the time if the US’s spot was secure by the second half, which it was not until the end, then put Green in in a less competitive situation to lock him into the US team.

He won't be next game. Only thing I can think of is that JK wanted fresh legs in teh back. But Davis was suspect from the start.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Overall result:

Spain is headed home.
Italy is headed home.
England is headed home.

The US is not.

How about that?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

It was definitely due to getting fresh legs in there. Klinsmann mentioned it in his post-game interview (with Schapp, I think). With proper rest and the game in Manaus well behind them, expect to see more of Bedoya...

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of dudes that are still 2nd guessing Klinsmann. The guy has been a zen master at the top of his game.

Boogaloo dudes- stand up- I wanna hear you!

I'm fine with Klinsmann overall. Thought leaving Donovan off was a poor choice, but I'm fine with it now.

I'm not so much second guessing Klinsmann as I am trying to analyze the games and figuring out what pieces seem to be working and which aren't.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I get a kick out of dudes that are still 2nd guessing Klinsmann. The guy has been a zen master at the top of his game.

Agreed.

The only thing I ever second-guessed him on was the exclusion of Donovan from the roster. I still wonder if in a game like today, where we might have required to get a goal back late in the game, if we wouldn't have seen him insert Donovan for a final push. But there is no question that the team is playing much better soccer than they ever have before. There's no question that the vast majority of his substitutions have paid big dividends. And I have always been in favor of two moves that he made: Beckerman in the lineup and Beasley at left back. Those, to me, are the biggest changes for this squad. And Klinsmann deserves the credit...

Reaction Score
These German (American) kids have been a revelation. Culturally & Stylistically. They are very fast, physical and focused. I never would have guessed the impact; but, Klinsmann knew. Fabrian Johnson & Jermaine Jones have played consistently better than any other player. They look totally different than the Jeff Agooos, John Harkes days. We have a new paradigm. How much are we going to get from Julian Green and Tim Chandler (and John Brooks). I, frankly, was disappointed that we tried a slew of Mexican American kids (California born) & none of them really rose to the team (this time).

I think we can see a good formula developing for future USMNT.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

The only thing I ever second-guessed him on was the exclusion of Donovan from the roster. I still wonder if in a game like today, where we might have required to get a goal back late in the game, if we wouldn't have seen him insert Donovan for a final push. But there is no question that the team is playing much better soccer than they ever have before. There's no question that the vast majority of his substitutions have paid big dividends. And I have always been in favor of two moves that he made: Beckerman in the lineup and Beasley at left back. Those, to me, are the biggest changes for this squad. And Klinsmann deserves the credit...

I'll salute you for both of those. I didn't think Beasley would be good enough post-Concacaf, but I'm very impressed with his play- feels like 2002 all over again!

Beckerman has been solid as well.

Reaction Score
I have to think Greene gets at least a minute to lock him in. Can't risk losing him to Germany if he eventually blows up.

Green is already tied to the US. He can't go back to Germany.

Reaction Score
How about the Germans. Built a multimillion dollar training complex in Brazil for a one month world cup.

I have a feeling Germany will walk away with a wash on that deals as the plan is to sell it to a resort company after the Cup. If the 2022 Cup is held in Qatar, my bet is that the US camp will be at Al Udeid Air Base with surrounded by several thousand military personal due to the likely threats.

Reaction Score
Good substitute. Get Davis out of there. Bedoya is solid.

Still have not seen a good answer as to why David was in there in the first place. Zusi handles set pieces. Bedoya for defense and strength of Mix for creativity would have added more.

Reaction Score
Still have not seen a good answer as to why David was in there in the first place. Zusi handles set pieces. Bedoya for defense and strength of Mix for creativity would have added more.

I still haven't seen a good answer as to why Davis was brought to Brazil at all, other than Klinsmann needed to bring someone who wasn't Donovan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom