OT: World Cup | Page 31 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It made someone some money.

24odf2f.jpg

Reaction Score
We were at a restaurant, and we all commented that if we were Chiellini, we would have violently face shoved the Uruguayan who came over to pull up our shirt. Chiellini should have took matters into his own hands there.

Reaction Score
Marchisio was very reckless here - clearly goes way over the ball and drives his studs into the guy's leg just below the knee (and this gif closely approximate's the referee's angle). I'd have gone yellow, but there's a fair amount of soccer commentary on line (and the ESPN announcers) that agreed with the red. Over the ball with studs up is considered an attempt to injure (as is biting of course).

The ball was poked by the Uruguayan player, which made it look worse and that extra little ummph he put in it to get leverage probably was the difference between yellow and red.

http://gfycat.com/WickedCreamyCero

Reaction Score
Marchisio was very reckless here - clearly goes way over the ball and drives his studs into the guy's leg just below the knee (and this gif closely approximate's the referee's angle). I'd have gone yellow, but there's a fair amount of soccer commentary on line (and the ESPN announcers) that agreed with the red. Over the ball with studs up is considered an attempt to injure (as is biting of course).

The ball was poked by the Uruguayan player, which made it look worse and that extra little ummph he put in it to get leverage probably was the difference between yellow and red.

http://gfycat.com/WickedCreamyCero

I noted this on the other board; but, I would have called it a Yellow. It looked to me like Marchisio was trying to physically box out Rios from the ball by putting two legs down on each side of the ball and then spinning around to use his back to shield. I have done that myself a few times. Unfortunately, Marchisio horribly mistimed his second step and planted it on Rios’s leg instead of the turf. Bad play yes; but, not reckless or with intent to injure.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I am surprised that the other team and the fans can even fit in the stadium considering the size of Suarez’s ego.

In a back alley, who would win in a fight, Suarez or Balotelli?

Suarez. The craziest man usually wins in a fight. Bolatelli is crazy, but Suarez is on a whole other level. He's like a rabid bat. Just all over you. And his teeth are lethal.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Think that was part of it. Blatant over the ball challenge following a lot of chippyness. Ref needed to make a statement to get control of the game.

Still didn't work, obviously.

I find a red card only makes things worse usually. If a ref needs to nip something in the bud, call both captains over and warn them the yellows are about to fly. Warn the managers. And then just start throwing out yellows for harsh tackles left and right. Players get the idea quickly.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
WTF. Why would you do that? I don't get it. Punch the guy in the balls when no one is looking; elbows are innocuous; a Kick ... that seems like part of the play. I just don't understand this.

Suarez just prefers to bite people. It's his thing. There's no other conclusion.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We were at a restaurant, and we all commented that if we were Chiellini, we would have violently face shoved the Uruguayan who came over to pull up our shirt. Chiellini should have took matters into his own hands there.

And get another red? They were already down a man.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I noted this on the other board; but, I would have called it a Yellow. It looked to me like Marchisio was trying to physically box out Rios from the ball by putting two legs done on each side of the ball and then spinning around to use his back to shield. I have done that myself a few times. Unfortunately, Marchisio horribly mistimed his second step and planted it on Rios’s leg instead of the turf. Bad play yes; but, not reckless or with intent to injure.

Even more unfortunately, he was 6 inches from the ref in an already chippy game.

Reaction Score
I have honestly never seen anything like Suarez. I have no idea what will happen probably a ban but i'm sure 5 years from now we'll find out he was either doing a lot of drugs or has some sort of mental illness.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Suarez bite is so weird, because you can't really call anything. It was impossible for the ref to see that. You can't just look at a guy's shoulder and rule after the fact.

Problem is that it really messed up Italy. They said this in studio (and I agree), that if you get bit or something similar, by a player and there is no forthcoming action for whatever reason, it really duckcks you mentally.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have honestly never seen anything like Suarez. I have no idea what will happen probably a ban but i'm sure 5 years from now we'll find out he was either doing a lot of drugs or has some sort of mental illness.

I think he's like a child with little control over his emotions/reactions. I saw him celebrate his header goal before it even happened the other day. It was childlike joy. He comes from rags and mightn't of gotten much teaching in how to behave like a human. Plus, once people figured out how good he is, it was enable city.

I'm not letting him off at all btw, just musing on what might be his predilection for acting like a stray dog.

Reaction Score
I noted this on the other board; but, I would have called it a Yellow. It looked to me like Marchisio was trying to physically box out Rios from the ball by putting two legs done on each side of the ball and then spinning around to use his back to shield. I have done that myself a few times. Unfortunately, Marchisio horribly mistimed his second step and planted it on Rios’s leg instead of the turf. Bad play yes; but, not reckless or with intent to injure.

I don't see the intent to injure there, but you just can't make that type of contact (his studs are nowhere near the ball) right in front of the ref.

The offense by itself is probably a yellow, but I've seen reds shown for lesser fouls.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Chiellini is a piece of work in his own right. He cried wolf pretty badly in the 1st half.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Ugh, come on Ivory Coast, brutal way to end the half...

Reaction Score
bobbygt said:
I don't see the intent to injure there, but you just can't make that type of contact (his studs are nowhere near the ball) right in front of the ref. The offense by itself is probably a yellow, but I've seen reds shown for lesser fouls.

The over the ball foul is a no-no because the studs automatically go up and catch the opponent above the shin guard. I don't think he had any intent to injure - just the bad timing and a bit of clumsiness in getting his balance made it look like he was putting a little extra into it. Made it look bad. FIFA cracked down 12 years ago or so on tackling from behind with straight reds and took that out of the game for the most part, which has been a good thing. This is another point of emphasis - I do think he clearly got unlucky in getting a red but bringing that foot up is putting yourself at risk. Players know.

Obviously put in context within a game in which someone was bitten, the Italians have every right to be perturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom