OT: World Cup | Page 32 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I admit I didn't see it live, but from that gif it looks like an incredibly boneheaded play by Marchisio. I can't figure out why he had to have his cleats that high.

He could've met the ball quite easily as he was right there and it's not like the ball was at any point off the ground.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
SSS and all but teams playing after playing in Manaus are 0-4 with a -7 GD.

Great. duckck FIFA. But damn did They shoot themselves in the foot. No one to blame but themselves if they fail to go through.

Reaction Score
Even more unfortunately, he was 6 inches from the ref in an already chippy game.

And yet all 4 referees saw nothing with respect to Suarez. Even at full speed, it looked like a head-butt, which should have given enough impetus for the refs to take a look, which they did not. My big concern here is that FIFA 1) does not want to admit that a blown call likely cost Italy the game and 2) Suarez is a big star and draw, especially for Uruguay who will fill a lot of seats. Best bet is that FIFA’s corporate sponsors say no thanks and demand an explosion.

Reaction Score
The Suarez bite is so weird, because you can't really call anything. It was impossible for the ref to see that. You can't just look at a guy's shoulder and rule after the fact.

Problem is that it really messed up Italy. They said this in studio (and I agree), that if you get bit or something similar, by a player and there is no forthcoming action for whatever reason, it really duckcks you mentally.

Unless you are the Boston bruins, then you go on to win the Stanley Cup. Then again, hockey players are a different breed of players.

Reaction Score
Chiellini is a piece of work in his own right. He cried wolf pretty badly in the 1st half.

That is a key piece for Italian soccer. I have always wondered if they focused more of their talent on the field instead of the Oscars or whining like a bunch of tweens, if they would have won a few more Cups by now. After all, Italy celebrated Materazzi’s taunt (“the son of a terrorist whore” or “I would prefer your whore of a sister”) that resulted in Zidane’s heabutt, which Materazzi heavily embellished, as a great play. Zindane was wrong; but, so was Materazzi wrong to and should not have been celebrated as a hero.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Such a soft penalty call. Really feel for the Ivory Coast.

Reaction Score
If I was an Ivory Coast fan my TV wouldn't have survived that finish
If you are Greek, like me, I feel vindicated. Greece played poorly their first two matches, and had a few bad breaks. Today, they got what I think is a well deserved
win. And, relative to Japan and IVC, they tied Japan with 10 men most of the game, and beat IVC, head to head. And no, they did not park the bus, but showed some offense, today.

Reaction Score
Such a soft penalty call. Really feel for the Ivory Coast.
I have seen way softer. That was a penalty. There was nothing soft about it. The Greek player was prevented from getting a shot off. That is a penalty.
Edit: I have seen the replay on Sportcenter and that view shows Samaras, tripping himself. During the game they showed a different angle which clearly shows a clip of the kicking foot that caused the trip. I hope people see both angles before forming their opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I was an Ivory Coast fan my TV wouldn't have survived that finish

The announcers, to their credit, saw it coming. They were ripping the Ivory Coast for not challenging Greece. And when a IC player finally challenged them, he ended up tripping a guy.

Reaction Score
That was as clear a penalty as you will see. Guy was setting up to shoot it in the net and was tripped. What more do you want?
Yes it was a penalty. But, wow, what a heartbreaking way to lose for the IVC.

Reaction Score
Yes it was a penalty. But, wow, what a heartbreaking way to lose for the IVC.

It was heartbreaking indeed, and after Greece had the run of play for much of the game, it was a killer for Greece too to give up that very nice goal to Bony late in the game.

On the other hand, I never thought Greece would have a real chance to score in extra time, and they had three excellent opportunities. And why? The announcers pointed out that IC were sitting back for some reason. In other words, the victory was well deserved.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And yet all 4 referees saw nothing with respect to Suarez. Even at full speed, it looked like a head-butt, which should have given enough impetus for the refs to take a look, which they did not. My big concern here is that FIFA 1) does not want to admit that a blown call likely cost Italy the game and 2) Suarez is a big star and draw, especially for Uruguay who will fill a lot of seats. Best bet is that FIFA’s corporate sponsors say no thanks and demand an explosion.

Wasn't it away from the ball at that point? I don't remember exactly, as I was gobsmacked about another Suarez midmatch dinner.

Can refs in World Cup soccer stop the match and look at the tape for transgressions like that?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Unless you are the Boston bruins, then you go on to win the Stanley Cup. Then again, hockey players are a different breed of players.

Yeah, hockey players are by nature rather insane. I mean, one guy on the Stars practically died (his heart stopped) on the bench. He got revived in the tunnel, and the guy asked to go back in the game. Just not operating on the same wave length as the rest of us.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
That was as clear a penalty as you will see. Guy was setting up to shoot it in the net and was tripped. What more do you want?
Sio obstructed him (thus a foul by the letter of the law), but once Samaras felt the contact he tripped himself and sold the call. Watch the replay. Sorry, it was a soft call. Much worse stuff in the box is not called all the time. The commentators doing the match and other soccer heads on twitter agreed it was soft.

Reaction Score
BUHusky said:
Sio obstructed him (thus a foul by the letter of the law), but once Samaras felt the contact he tripped himself and sold the call. Watch the replay. Sorry, it was a soft call. Much worse stuff in the box is not called all the time. The commentators doing the match and other soccer heads on twitter agreed it was soft.

He clipped his foot on the back swing, essentially the same as fouling a jump shooter on the arm. Given that it was a good scoring chance, it had to be called IMO.

Reaction Score

He clipped him in the leg and tripped him.

https://vine.co/v/MtnO7MAx0OQ

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wasn't it away from the ball at that point? I don't remember exactly, as I was gobsmacked about another Suarez midmatch dinner.

Can refs in World Cup soccer stop the match and look at the tape for transgressions like that?

no, i wouldnt want that either... there needs to be a serious look into how 4 referees were not able to come together and sort this out... if anything fifa would want implement maybe have an upstairs booth for serious offenses like tha,t talk down into the headset during the run of play and say, "hey suarez just bit another player, we saw it live and looked at it again on tape." so not to stop play completely but at the next dead ball (out of bounds, foul) give him a card

too much wanting to stop play to review or challenge something will ruin the game... the reason why it is so beautiful is because of its flow... there can be ways to do this without stopping play

Reaction Score

No referee can see everything. That said, with 2 players down on the field and with other players screaming at each other, it was clear that's something did happen. The nearside linesman should have been in position to see what happened as he is responsible for offside calls. At full speed, I thought Suarez had possibly head-butted the Italian. That at the very least requires consult between the referee, 2 linesman, and the 4th official. I did not see that happen. If the referee did not consult with his team, that is a absolute error on his part. Nor did I see him talk to either player and the Italian had clear teeth marks on his shoulder.

And no, there is no such thing as instant replay in soccer, though in as situation like this with the ball stopped for a foul/injury, it could easily be fit in.

I am afraid that FIFA will do nothing because to suspend Suarez would require FIFA to admit an error was made. An error that likely cost Italy the opportunity to advance as Uruguay was only able to pressure Italy when they had a 11 on 10 advantage. I do not see Uruguay scoring in a 10 on 10 situation without their best clutch scorer.

If FIFA had stones, they would admit the mistake and because the foul was so egregious and altered the course of the match, Uruguay would be required to re-do the game from when the foul happened, tied at 0 to 0 with both teams at 10 players. Suarez and his antics would likely cost Uruguay the opportunity to advance and he would go from country hero to country goat, which is what he deserves .

Reaction Score

Agree. I have been hit harder by my 7 year old trying to take the ball away from me. A soon as he felt the contact, he sold it. Diving needs to be 1 warning and then immediate Yellows in every game. All PK calls should be reviewed because they often determine the outcome of a game. Screw FIFA and their viewpoint that the game should be the same game played at the Cup as it is played on the neighborhood pitch. If that was really the case, the Cup in Brail should be played in a worn-out sand pit in a barrio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom