OT: World Cup | Page 33 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree. I have been hit harder by my 7 year old trying to take the ball away from me. A soon as he felt the contact, he sold it. Diving needs to be 1 warning and then immediate Yellows in every game. All PK calls should be reviewed because they often determine the outcome of a game. Screw FIFA and their viewpoint that the game should be the same game played at the Cup as it is played on the neighborhood pitch. If that was really the case, the Cup in Brail should be played in a worn-out sand pit in a barrio.

I get the argument that extensive replay would slow down the game, but I agree that fouls in the box should be subject to review. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Make it a one minute review or something like that. They kill minutes at a time with guys rolling around and menstruating on the field as it is.

Reaction Score
Agree. I have been hit harder by my 7 year old trying to take the ball away from me. A soon as he felt the contact, he sold it. Diving needs to be 1 warning and then immediate Yellows in every game. All PK calls should be reviewed because they often determine the outcome of a game. Screw FIFA and their viewpoint that the game should be the same game played at the Cup as it is played on the neighborhood pitch. If that was really the case, the Cup in Brail should be played in a worn-out sand pit in a barrio.

https://vine.co/v/MtnO7MAx0OQ

He wasn't hit hard at all. He was just obstructed from kicking the ball.

In other words, he was fouled.

And by the way, when Bazz shot that 3 when he was fouled against Kentucky, he was tackled either. They still gave him 3 free throws however.

Why are you calling for replay in this instance when the replay shows him being fouled?

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:

This particular foul has nothing to do with how "soft" or "hard" it was, any more than touching a three-point shooter on the elbow has to do with how hard you touch him. A shooter can't shoot when you jostle his elbow. Samaras drew his leg back to shoot, Sio stuck his leg in to try to break up the shot, and he clipped Samaras in the shooting foot, preventing him from getting a shot off. It was a violation that prevented a scoring chance, so it was a PK. Pretty cut and dry.

Fouls and penalties that are judgment calls aren't typically reviewed in any sport. I think we'll see the day when goals are reviewed for offsides with that technology hey use on TV (although they put the line in the wrong place on a Brazil goal to cause a little issue).

Reaction Score
At what point is physical contact (without hitting the ball) a foul? What did you expect to see, that would convince you, it was a foul?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I didn't watch the game, and that's the first highlight I've seen of that play.

How is the fact that that was a foul remotely an issue? Where's the controversy? 100 times out of 100, that has to be called.

Honestly, that 'tackle' was stupid as hell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, and that's the first highlight I've seen of that play.

How is the fact that that was a foul remotely an issue? Where's the controversy? 100 times out of 100, that has to be called.

Honestly, that was 'tackle' was stupid as hell.

People's emotions (or lack of watching soccer) are getting in the way of sensibility. People wanted IC to win because of their star power. The Greeks, uncharacteristically, went on the attack all game and put IC on its heels.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People's emotions (or lack of watching soccer) are getting in the way of sensibility. People wanted IC to win because of their star power. The Greeks, uncharacteristically, went on the attack all game and put IC on its heels.

The reality is that IC played poorly the whole tournament and didn't deserve to advance out of what was the weakest group by far. None of these African teams seem to be able to harness the talent they have. Every one of them is worse than the sum of their parts.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The reality is that IC played poorly the whole tournament and didn't deserve to advance out of what was the weakest group by far. None of these African teams seem to be able to harness the talent they have. Every one of them is worse than the sum of their parts.

And I just don't get it. They are starting to build feeder systems in those countries (although admittedly don't commit near the amount of money other countries do). The people have such passion for the game there; everyone plays.

With their strength, athleticism, and on the ball skill, an African team could dominate if they could get team play and tactics worked out. They are usually terrible passing teams. That's one thing that made Ghana really good in recent years, having Essien in the center of the field.

Reaction Score

Ghana has played well, unfortunately, they are stuck like the US in the Group of Death. In any other group, I suspect they advance and advance easily.

Reaction Score
At what point is physical contact (without hitting the ball) a foul? What did you expect to see, that would convince you, it was a foul?

The Greek player was impacted; but, it was on his ‘backswing’ with his leg and the defender has every right to be where he was. He also really threw himself into the fall. That’s said, IC sat back and Greece attacked. They earned the win.

By the way, anyone catch that the lead official from the opening match between Brazil and Croatia has been relegated to the 4th official for all remaining games?

Reaction Score
https://vine.co/v/MtnO7MAx0OQ

He wasn't hit hard at all. He was just obstructed from kicking the ball.

In other words, he was fouled.

And by the way, when Bazz shot that 3 when he was fouled against Kentucky, he was tackled either. They still gave him 3 free throws however.

Why are you calling for replay in this instance when the replay shows him being fouled?

I have seen the call in full speed and slow motion. In full speed, it looks more like a dive to me. In slow motion, it looks like more of a foul. I can see both ways. Of course, being a defensive midfielder at heart, I may be biased towards the defense even tough challenging a ball carrier from behind in the box always carries the risk of a PK.

Overall, all PK’s, not just this one, should be reviewed to make sure the ref got it right because PK’s so dramatically impact the result. As everyone has pointed out, a foul in the box usually results in people rolling on the ground like they have been shot, screaming, crying, and a heard of players around the referee. Plenty of time for an unbiased (i.e. not one of the refs on the field) to review the call without disrupting the flow game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ya Ya Toure should have been able to win that game by himself.

Reaction Score
The Greek player was impacted; but, it was on his ‘backswing’ with his leg and the defender has every right to be where he was. He also really threw himself into the fall. That’s said, IC sat back and Greece attacked. They earned the win.

By the way, anyone catch that the lead official from the opening match between Brazil and Croatia has been relegated to the 4th official for all remaining games?
The defender has a right to the ball, nothing else. In an effort to exercise that right, you can not prevent the offensive player from his right to the ball, unless you have possession (ie. shielding a defender). The defender never got to the ball and never had possession, and he prevented the offensive player from getting the ball, as is his right.

Same thing in the USA game. Bradley was fouled, IMO, on the last play vs Portugal, exactly because of the above. Bradley in that small instance was in possession( he got to the ball first and was over the ball) he was pushed off, by the Portuguese who did not have possession, and in fact prevented Bradley's right to the ball. Both are fouls, IMO. Sucks that the ref did not call the foul favoring the USA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ya Ya Toure should have been able to win that game by himself.
He had a great chance one time, where he sliced through the Greek defense. Greece was fortunate on that play. BTW, before strutting his stuff in the EPL, he played for 1 or 2 seasons in Greece. He was, ahem, very very good.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Turn on ESPN now. 1-1 already in the 4th minute.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Turn on ESPN now. 1-1 already in the 4th minute.

This is where Argentina could really use Tevez. Aguerro out with an injury.

Still have no idea why their manager dislikes him so much. He's another guy I love to watch play.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
goshdarn. Messi, give him a second opp and he nails it. 2 seconds left in stoppage time. Awesome.

So glad he's finally playing well in the WC. The world really needs to see this guy in top form.

Messi >>>>> Ronaldo for my money.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ghana has played well, unfortunately, they are stuck like the US in the Group of Death. In any other group, I suspect they advance and advance easily.

Hey they still could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds