OT: Washington is hiring Syracuse's Mike Hopkins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Washington is hiring Syracuse's Mike Hopkins

Reaction Score
What will Cuse do with all those leftover "We have the best NIT Coach in Waiting" t-shirts???

Reaction Score
This will end up being a good thing for Cuse, unless Boehiem coaches until they plant him in the ground.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He was probably the least expensive candidate for Washington
Can he recruit on the west coast? I know Cuse has had a few guys from California
This is a real head scratcher - unless he needs to get a few years of HC experience before heading back to Cuse
I heard The Picker is cozy with their new AD and maybe talked himself into a few more years

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Not sure how it looks good at all. They are on probation, have scholarship restrictions, have a very weak class coming in. And their head coach in waiting, and their lead recruiter just left to take a job at a lesser school.

There is no school that is 'lesser' than Syracuse. Cuse is as less as it gets.

I'm guessing that he can see the train wreck that Boeheim will be leaving behind and just wants to get out ahead of it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Washington is a better job for Hopkins than Syracuse would have been. He was officially named the coaching in waiting as a punishment to Boeheim for the NCAA mess and that was making for a very awkward transition. He'll need a very good staff, but he's a west coast guy and I think he'll bring enough talent into UW.

Syracuse is an awful spot now. The athletic director is a friend of Boeheim's and he ain't firing him, so JB can stay as long as he wants.

Boeheim's status is already dragging on recruiting - they had to grab a few graduate transfers just to have the year they had. And their recruiting class this year was not good.

They might be in for some rough-sledding.

Reaction Score
Nevermind the fact that it seemed like Hopkins was their ace recruiter. I wonder if JB will pick up the slack? Hah!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Boeheim is like Hyman Roth. He thinks he will live forever. I think he is going to coach until he gets that confirming second championship or he dies.

Post/handle.

And this needs to be a meme.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I know for a fact that Hopkins was a big reason Battle landed at Cuse. This will hurt them recruiting wise and now they have no back up plan.

Reaction Score
Damn, I'm actually pissed because this ends up helping Cuse.
They are a in a tough spot. If you think they can get an elite coach to go there then you are right. But what happens if they can't?

They pay JB 2.1 million a year. Who can they realistically get knowing they will have to double that? Some think Jay Wright which is crazy. It's Central New York. Yes you play in the ACC, but that means you also have to compete against Duke, UNC, Ville, etc. You aren't going to win your league a ton against those guys.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They are a in a tough spot. If you think they can get an elite coach to go there then you are right. But what happens if they can't?

They pay JB 2.1 million a year. Who can they realistically get knowing they will have to double that? Some think Jay Wright which is crazy. It's Central New York. Yes you play in the ACC, but that means you also have to compete against Duke, UNC, Ville, etc. You aren't going to win your league a ton against those guys.
warm weather ACC school - yeah you can kind of overlook the fact you aren't going to win too many titles unless it says Puke or UNC in the uni - coach for 3 years and earn $7 or 8 MM
But to winter in Syracuse, that has to be tough
Not sure the Dome and Melo Center will recruit itself without The Picker
Gregg Marshall earns over $3MM at WSU already and Jay Wright can win in the NBE but ACC is different
The talk now is IF The Picker leaves next year - Buzz Williams or Willard from Seton Hall are being thrown around with - get this - GMac!!!!!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think Washington is a better job for Hopkins than Syracuse would have been. He was officially named the coaching in waiting as a punishment to Boeheim for the NCAA mess and that was making for a very awkward transition. He'll need a very good staff, but he's a west coast guy and I think he'll bring enough talent into UW.

Syracuse is an awful spot now. The athletic director is a friend of Boeheim's and he ain't firing him, so JB can stay as long as he wants.

Boeheim's status is already dragging on recruiting - they had to grab a few graduate transfers just to have the year they had. And their recruiting class this year was not good.

They might be in for some rough-sledding.

Yeah, but the recruiting rankings don't measure the most important quality of all- pluck.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Also, GMac being hired would (1) not suprise me and (2) prooooobably be a disaster.

Reaction Score
I know for a fact that Hopkins was a big reason Battle landed at Cuse. This will hurt them recruiting wise and now they have no back up plan.

Wrong, battle came to cuse because of boeheim, a hall of fame coach. Battle's dad trusts jb and he should. Hes a lottery pick next year

Reaction Score

Big time program, big time fan base, big time coach, once the sanctions are over (and theyre winding down) you will feel the full power of the orange. Good luck ever getting a recruit over us while in the aac.

Reaction Score
Big time program, big time fan base, big time coach, once the sanctions are over (and theyre winding down) you will feel the full power of the orange. Good luck ever getting a recruit over us while in the aac.

4>1

Oh, and do you still have a bad taste of UConn in your mouth from your road loss at MSG?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom