OT: Vacation suggestions | The Boneyard

OT: Vacation suggestions

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I post this every year or so. Feel free to stop reading at any point ...

In the past 30 years I have been to Vegas for three days, southern Connecticut twice, and Boston yearly for our annual field trip. Other than that, I haven't been more than 40 miles from my home since graduate school.

I've been planning a vacation for years, and may actually do so during my Christmas or February vacation. I've considered a cruise as a first vacation trip, but I'll be traveling alone, and I'm told I'd have to pay double. My dream vacation is the mediteranian, including, and especially Israel. South America is also on my bucket list, especially if I can do so for less.

Cost is a concern, but I may slurge for the right trip/experience.

I'd appreciate your suggestions, thought, and shared experiences.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't go on a cruise. I know some people love them, I didn't get it. The whole thing just seemed to be a game where the criuse line tries to get more money out of you.

I liked Key West. Fly into FLL, rent a convertable and drive there.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I have to half agree with Waquoit. Don't go on a cruise if it's your first really big/long vacation. As he said, some people love them, some hate them. I would suggest you find a cheap 3 day weekend type cruise (easy to do here in so cal, not so sure how easy/cheap it would be from NE). If you love it - then a med cruise (and they have them that go to Isreal - just search eastern Mediterranean cruises) would be great. If you hate your short little cruise, figure out something else (train?).

Reaction Score
I never really understood the draw of a cruise. I'd rather spend all my time in the destination country, soaking in the culture than half of it putzing around in the middle of the Atlantic.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have to half agree with Waquoit. Don't go on a cruise if it's your first really big/long vacation. As he said, some people love them, some hate them. I would suggest you find a cheap 3 day weekend type cruise (easy to do here in so cal, not so sure how easy/cheap it would be from NE). If you love it - then a med cruise (and they have them that go to Isreal - just search eastern Mediterranean cruises) would be great. If you hate your short little cruise, figure out something else (train?).

I've looked into short cruises out of Boston, going north to New Foundland and beyond. Looks like something I'd really like, but I can find one that doesn't charge double for a solo traveler. Some cruise lines say they have single cabins, but it is close to impossible to find one available. I don't mind paying a little more, but double is not in my budget.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I never really understood the draw of a cruise. I'd rather spend all my time in the destination country, soaking in the culture than half of it putzing around in the middle of the Atlantic.

One draw of a cruise is in having plenty to do, and in not having to pay airfare (I'd leave out of Boston, if I can find the right trip).

With that said, if I could fly to and experience Europe (history and culture) for the same price, I'd prefer to do so before taking a cruise.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My husband and I have traveled a lot, with and without our sons. The whole family agrees that the best vacation we've ever been on was the trip to the US Virgin Islands, second best was San Francisco/Yosemite Park. Bermuda was a big thumbs up, too. We spent a day in Key West (part of a Disney cruise) and really want to experience it again.

MrP

Reaction Score
In the past year I've been to Ireland with my wife and her twin bro for their 30th bday, and to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone/Grand Teton Nat'l Park with just my wife.

If you are into history, and tropical surroundings are not required (if you're considering a cruise to Newfoundland, safe to say this applies to you), Ireland is a MUST. So much to see, so many nice people, I went over February break last year and I have wanted to go back ever since, and I'm only 1/8 Irish. We had historically excellent weather while we were there (a week of sun and 50 degree temps, unheard of at any time of year there), but it would still have been a blast in the cold and rain.

The stuff out west was amazing too, and JH is a fun town, but unless you are going to spend several days in Yellowstone, you won't see enough to make it special.

I should also add that my wife's friend has found us outrageous travel deals online, specifically luxurylink.com. She's not an agent, just constantly monitoring for good deals. Look around, you'd be surprised what you can find.

Reaction Score
I've looked into short cruises out of Boston, going north to New Foundland and beyond. Looks like something I'd really like, but I can find one that doesn't charge double for a solo traveler. Some cruise lines say they have single cabins, but it is close to impossible to find one available. I don't mind paying a little more, but double is not in my budget.

Based on the time of year you're traveling, and given your dream of south America, I'd recommend heading to airfarewatchdog, put in Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Chile, etc., and see if you can snag a cheap RT trip. I've seen them go off at $700 RT. Once you're down there, everything is dirt cheap, and everyone I know who has gone to Argentina, Uruguay, etc., has loved it.

Reaction Score
I think everyone should see Rome at least once, but Christmas might not be the best time to do it. The only place you'd get to eat would be the Jewish Ghetto, since the city shuts down for days, like most European cities.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Cruises are a unique way to travel that fits some people and doesn't fit others. For me a vacation means a lot of laying around reading a book and sipping umbrella drinks so a cruise that has a few days at sea works perfectly. Modern cruise ships have a ton to do so if you want to be more active, even days at sea can mean climbing walls, hitting golf balls, and just a ton of other activities. The real draw to a cruise is being able to visit many different places without having to pack and unpack living out of a suitcase. While a day won't be long enough for many people at a single destination, it fits for others who want to see a lot in a short time.

I've been looking for my dream cruise for a while. It would be a 14 day or so Mediterranean cruise that starts in Venice and goes to some ancient Greek and other BC cities, hits Alexandria to see pyramids and sphinx, then up to Sicily, Rome, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Gibraltar and ends in Lisbon. I found it years ago when I couldn't afford it and I haven't been able to find it recently now that I can....

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I think everyone should see Rome at least once, but Christmas might not be the best time to do it. The only place you'd get to eat would be the Jewish Ghetto, since the city shuts down for days, like most European cities.

Sounds like you just read The Quest. :)

Reaction Score
I've been in Europe on Christmas multiple times (Athens, Bruges, Paris, Venice, London) and never had any problems. In fact, we booked Xmas dinner and Belgium, and because we didn't know the rituals, we were somewhat confused that the tables were for us all night (i.e 8 pm to 2 am). 6 tables in the place, you have a few appetizers until midnight, lot of wine, etc., and then dinner is served right after 12.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Travel is at its best for me when I feel like I've been able to experience a bit of what it's like to live somewhere else. For that reason, among others, a cruise is not for me.

We've done lots of great vacations that I would recommend, but if I was in your situation and was going solo for the first time away in a long time, I would go with Italy. You can fly into Rome and cover a lot of ground by train. Siena, Florence, Venice and then back to Rome would make a great trip.

I've been in England and Ireland over Christmas and New Years and had a blast, but personally I think Italy is the best of a lot of worlds, e.g., history, people, culture, beauty, food, wine, etc.

The only problem is that it ruins you for everywhere else, because you'll just want to keep going back there.

Reaction Score
One thing I'd add is that I have friends who travel by themselves and they like going on tours. Rick Steves runs one that is not expensive, but at least you know all your itinerary is taken care of, and you're on a tight tour with other people. Many of whom are also traveling alone. I have a 46 year old friend who is a martial artist, he just went to Egypt and had a great time doing that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One thing I'd add is that I have friends who travel by themselves and they like going on tours. Rick Steves runs one that is not expensive, but at least you know all your itinerary is taken care of, and you're on a tight tour with other people. Many of whom are also traveling alone. I have a 46 year old friend who is a martial artist, he just went to Egypt and had a great time doing that.
I would definitely check out one of his tours. We used his guide books the most, as well as tons of free podcasts , videos and audio tours that I downloaded on the iPad and iPod. At least for Italy, the guy has it pretty down pat.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Based on the time of year you're traveling, and given your dream of south America, I'd recommend heading to airfarewatchdog, put in Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Chile, etc., and see if you can snag a cheap RT trip. I've seen them go off at $700 RT. Once you're down there, everything is dirt cheap, and everyone I know who has gone to Argentina, Uruguay, etc., has loved it.

Just did a South America trip myself in May and freaking loved it. Went to Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina. I jumped on a crazy good flight deal I saw back in February, but that aside the general expenses during the trip were dirt cheap compared to Europe or Asia. And the weather will be fantastic that time of year. I'd highly recommend going that route if you can find a good flight deal.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
With that said, if I could fly to and experience Europe (history and culture) for the same price, I'd prefer to do so before taking a cruise.
Any European country imposing austerity should be very affordable in comparison to years past.

Reaction Score
Any European country imposing austerity should be very affordable in comparison to years past.

I didn't find this to be the case in Greece. In fact, they had inflation. This is a reason economists question internal adjustments within a currency union. Sure, you can easily cut salaries by 40% (which is what they've done), spending by 40%, but the price of things is sticky. Even stuff that is wholly made in Greece like ag. goods and raw materials, the price sticks. The producers will just sell it elsewhere in the EU if the locals won't/can't buy it at price. I think hotels might be marginally down but it will still be very expensive for other things. I spent over a month there this summer.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I (perhaps erroneously) was extrapolating from what I have been dealing with in Rome where property I own has been commanding far less than it had as recently as a year ago. I guess this isn't the case across the board.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I (perhaps erroneously) was extrapolating from what I have been dealing with in Rome where property I own has been commanding far less than it had as recently as a year ago. I guess this isn't the case across the board.

No, you're right about property. My brothers and I were looking at beachfront villas going for $300k, they were at $600k in 2007. Decided against it because of airfare. Cost $5k to take my family over this summer.

It's just the cost of everyday items and food that hasn't sunk. At all. It goes up. This is the problem with internal adjustments with no currency devaluation. If the currency were devalued, then people could continue to buy locally grown and produced items at a price relative to income. This is why Argentina is so cheap for Americans, but also livable for Argentinians. But for the Greek, Spanish and Portuguese, the euro is as strong as ever.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If you're considering Europe, you might want to start with Ireland. I've been twice, and I've known many others who've gone, and it's universally considered a great time. The people will treat you like an honored guest and the scenery, culture, and history guarantee you will find plenty to do no matter what you're into. On my last trip, I was invited to a wedding reception in Holy Cross, and when they found out we were Americans, they wouldn't stop buying us rounds and introducing us to ever more friends and relatives. The reception went on for three days and we got to watch a local Gaelic football match between two rival towns where half the wedding party played on one side or the other. Definitely a memory I'll cherish forever.

If you're more adventurous and self-reliant, then go to Italy. Except for Rome, it's very clean, safe, there's loads to do and see, and the people are warm and helpful to travelers. The food, wine, and art will blow you away, second to none, anywhere.

Reaction Score
Bermuda is beautiful but, expensive. Hard to get around as there are only mopeds, (i hate them) as taxis are expensive as is food, etc. They so have buses, I don't recommend them.
St Thomas, St John's and St Croix are nice any there are ferrys that traverse among the Islands and no passport. If you are thinking of going abroad or any of the islands you will need a passport, get one ASAP.

Reaction Score
I've done a lot of traveling, to nearly every US state, Canada, over 20 times to the Caribbean, Europe, but never on a cruise. We have friends who get GREAT deals on last minute cruises, but they've never interested us.

The key to a successful vacation is having an idea of what you want to do. (And that can change every vacation trip). Do you want to be active - hike, ski, swim, dive, snorkel, bike? Do you want mountains? Cities? Beaches? Do you want culture? History ? Is dining important? Do you just want to chill out on a beach with a drink? Do you want to stay in one location (apart from any cruise) or would you not mind packing up and moving around often during a trip? (We spent two weeks in Colorado/Utah earlier this fall and drove over 1,300 miles, never staying more than two nights in one location). Do you want to be casual or would dressing up for dinner in a sport coat be more your style? Lots to consider.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom