OT: Vacation suggestions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Vacation suggestions

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Tom, stopped skimming through the digressions and cruise talks. I've never done a cruise but if you like to be led by the nose, fed good food and visit a bunch of places, a cruise might be for you. But in your initial post you mentioned SA, Israel or the med sea. South America has the advantage of being closer and warmer in since its their summer. My son went to Machu Pichu (sp?) and said its fabulous. The guides and trip costs add up but it's a world heritage site which means it's pretty incredible. Nearby Peru and Chile have great hiking as well.

Israel is an amazing place and I'm sure you can find inexpensive places, it's just the airfare that is crazy. November and December are probably not great for visiting Italy, you might consider Barcelona and Madrid as they'll be cheaper, slightly better weather and not quite as shut down at that time of year.

Reaction Score
I went to and enjoyed puerto vallarta mexico. Not much of a trip to get there so no jet lag and more time to enjoy your time.

Reaction Score
For something exciting while still closeby you could try Cuba. Just hop over to Mexico then on to Havana. People do it all the time - in reality nobody seems to care. Everyone who has gone has told me it's fantastic. It's also primed to change drastically in the not too distant future.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
OK, Tom! Enough of this. You've got three pages of recommendations! Now you have to make a decision! Where's it going to be????

Reaction Score
Screw the cruise. Why be surrounded by water with nothing to do but eat. Which introduces your companions for the trip - professional mega fatties who eat / 50 lbs / day.

Paris is nice. As is the south of France, or the Adriatic Italy.

For US at Christmas - VAIL. You'll love the slopes. Otherwise - Swislander.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
For US at Christmas - VAIL. You'll love the slopes. Otherwise - Swislander.

You'll also have to win the lottery to afford it.

Reaction Score
Agree on don't waste a money on a cruise, so hit or miss, and for the price, to me, not worth it.

If you want a really nice short getaway on the cheap, Burlington, VT is absolutely beautiful this time of year. Relatively inexpensive town, definitely things to do to fill a weekend, the Ben & Jerry's factory is 10-15 miles outside of the town, the Magic Hat brewery is there, the lakefront area is really nice, downtown has some great food, really interesting shops you won't find anywhere else, catch a UVM hockey or bball game if you want some sports, and skiing isn't far. A really underrated place to spend a couple of days.

Reaction Score
Agree on don't waste a money on a cruise, so hit or miss, and for the price, to me, not worth it.

If you want a really nice short getaway on the cheap, Burlington, VT is absolutely beautiful this time of year. Relatively inexpensive town, definitely things to do to fill a weekend, the Ben & Jerry's factory is 10-15 miles outside of the town, the Magic Hat brewery is there, the lakefront area is really nice, downtown has some great food, really interesting shops you won't find anywhere else, catch a UVM hockey or bball game if you want some sports, and skiing isn't far. A really underrated place to spend a couple of days.
Yea rented a cabin on lake champlagne (sp?) was really a good time..scenery was good but traveling at night sucked they dont believe in lights at night. Not in stores or streets.

Reaction Score
Single guys love Costa Rica, just love it. There are many reasons, but incredibly good looking Latinas at bargain prices are among them. It is a beautiful place too. If I were a single guy on leisure travel, it would be on my yearly rotation.

You can buy single Latina women at bargain prices in Costa Rica? That... gives me some conflicted feelings.

Reaction Score
Cruises tend to be prohibitively expensive for single people because the assumption when booking is a double room always.

For single folks, in the country it's best to use something like AirBnB or HomeAway, great sites where you can rent single rooms at affordable prices compared to, say, hotels.

Going overseas, HostelWorld is awesome. I used it when I went to Germany last year. I had a great time. You learn a lot about yourself just wandering around. Read the hostel reviews. You'll want to stay at a hostel with a bar in it for social reasons. It's a great way to meet fellow travelers.

Maybe the best bet is to just keep an eye on the discount travel sites like TravelZoo, wait for a great deal on the type of vacation you want, and pounce on it. If you want something tropical, you wait for great fares or hotel prices for Costa Rica, Mexico, etc. If you want something European/South American, it's probably easiest to just find a nice cheap air fare and then book a hostel afterwards. Many countries have good public transportation systems, especially in Europe, so car rentals aren't necessary.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You can buy single Latina women at bargain prices in Costa Rica? That... gives me some conflicted feelings.
such as; do I feel like going there every year or just this year?

Reaction Score
I went to Naples when I was in Fort Meyers.....loved it!!;)

Napless is great! Espec the one in Florida. Lots of great restaurants. My sis-in-law moved there (NY tax avoid) 5 yrs ago, and we visit often. No problen getting table in off-season. In winter, plan ahead.

Glad to provide restaurant rcmd if you need. In-laws are on 'priority list' with all the restaurants.

Reaction Score
South American flights do not have to be expensive if you do not mind budget airlines. I went from Boston to Bogota, one way, for well under 250 and I am sure the R/T would be cheaper if you buy with time. The one detail, however, was it was on spirit airlines, if that matters. I travel light, Just one 15 or 20 kg bag and a 5 or 6 kg carry on (for the 3 years I lived there) and do not recall having to pay extras on top of the base fare.

Colombia is not just an "up and coming" place, it already HAS BEEN an up and coming place for some years and it is cheap. Cheaper than Peru or Ecuador or other more popular places. I do not mention it just because I lived there for 3 years and have a wife from there, it really is a great place. It is the second most diverse country in the world, biodiversity wise, and it is becoming easier and easier to travel around all the time with wingo (cheap airline) and improved buses.

I would be happy to write up a lengthy trip report, with my wifes input, for anyone who would like to go.

For something exciting while still closeby you could try Cuba. Just hop over to Mexico then on to Havana. People do it all the time - in reality nobody seems to care. Everyone who has gone has told me it's fantastic. It's also primed to change drastically in the not too distant future.
Cuba is beautiful. Check out Havana for a day or two but get off the beaten track.

It already is changing, as the touts are in high numbers and pretty obtrusive, obnoxious and even aggressive, which is why I recommend getting away from the tourist hoards if you go. If anyone is going, I wrote a detailed trip report, from the perspective of a budget traveler and I will be happy to post or PM if needed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why was it raised from the dead? My "bad" I guess? The thread was STILL on the first page and I did not notice the date seeing as it was the first page...

Reaction Score
Vancouver to Calgary through Banff. Rail or car. Alberta lakes are beautiful.

Reaction Score
Even better or worse, I saw your 2013 dated article and thought you posted it as comic relief now.
Yeah thought so. Btw - I'm on my way back from LAX to Bangkok through Beijing. Sitting in the toilet by gate E18 right now.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why was it raised from the dead? My "bad" I guess? The thread was STILL on the first page and I did not notice the date seeing as it was the first page...
The mod seeded the new Travel board with past travel threads, I would imagine

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom