OT: Vacation suggestions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Vacation suggestions

Reaction Score
If you are traveling alone Costa Rica. A beautiful country with beautiful women if you know all the right places to visit.

If you decide to travel next May let me know. We can be travel companions! :)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Don't waste your money on a cruise. We always get a laugh out of the cruise ship crowd that rushes ashore at some exotic locale to franticly shop at overpriced tourist traps and then hurry back to the ship to sail to the next destination. Better to pick a spot and spend enough time there to enjoy the locale.

Not knowing your budget or how much time you have my recommendations are -

1. Europe - you can spend a fortune or do it cheap. I've done both and IMO cheap was definitely less comfortable but more fun. I would focus on Spain (Andalusia), Italy (Rome/Florence/Tuscany/Amalfi) and maybe Greece. Norway is on my bucket list. I spent a week there for work and I would give my left one (not used much anyway)to go back. One of the most beautiful places I've visited.

2. Hawaii - We used to go there every other year. Probably one of our favorite places on earth. Kauai is our favorite

3. Caribbean - The SVI were our alternate vacation (with Hawaii) every year. St Croix (Christiansted) was our favorite.

4. Quebec City - Europe in North America. Great food, great sights, history all rolled in one spot. Unfortunately, not as economic as the good old days when the Canadian dollar was 70 cents.

5. The good ole' USA. Charleston, SC, San Diego, Seattle, Denver (another favorite), and New York City. Denver alone offers amazing choices from the big city to the Rocky Mountains.

I would have included Key West but it really sucks these days. I lived there in the 70's and it was awesome. Now it's just tourist traps.

Reaction Score
Don't go on a cruise. I know some people love them, I didn't get it. The whole thing just seemed to be a game where the criuse line tries to get more money out of you.

I liked Key West. Fly into FLL, rent a convertable and drive there.

LOL - Next Saturday.... I fly to Ft.Lauderdale for a week in Florida hitting Ft.L, Key West & Miami. Then the following Sunday, I'm on a cruise to St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Princess Cays. I originally thought I'd be bored on a cruise, but I liked the mix of days at sea and excursions on various islands. I'll be doing some snorkeling in St. Thomas & St. Maarten, taking a catamaran for one of them. You can't say every day you've been on a catamaran in the middle of the Caribbean. The only down side of the cruise is, the last Saturday, is the night of the Maryland game... I hope they have ESPN on the ship.

Also regarding cruises, if you get on their mailing lists, they are constantly sending out emails for discounted cruises, ones they've not filled enough rooms, so there is always a good deal to be had if you can go with a month or 2 notice. Lastly, cruises are a good way to escape the world, especially for people who are tied to their work. I love saying, "I cannot be reached"....

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If you're considering Europe, you might want to start with Ireland. I've been twice, and I've known many others who've gone, and it's universally considered a great time. The people will treat you like an honored guest and the scenery, culture, and history guarantee you will find plenty to do no matter what you're into. On my last trip, I was invited to a wedding reception in Holy Cross, and when they found out we were Americans, they wouldn't stop buying us rounds and introducing us to ever more friends and relatives. The reception went on for three days and we got to watch a local Gaelic football match between two rival towns where half the wedding party played on one side or the other. Definitely a memory I'll cherish forever.

If you're more adventurous and self-reliant, then go to Italy. Except for Rome, it's very clean, safe, there's loads to do and see, and the people are warm and helpful to travelers. The food, wine, and art will blow you away, second to none, anywhere.

I've been to Rome more than a dozen times and never had any concerns - just take precautions against the dips.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I've been to Rome more than a dozen times and never had any concerns - just take precautions against the dips.

Take precautions how and do you mean dipping sauces?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like cruises.

I don't think I would like a cruise from Boston in February. I know I would not like paying double for a cruise out of Boston in February.

Go to Disney, by some Mouse ears and then bang those large southern women that roam around that place in packs.

Then post about it.

Everyone wins.

Reaction Score
Went on a cruise in July to Alaska and it was awesome. Left from Seattle. One day we sailed down the Tracy Arm Fjiord where you end up at Sawyer Glacier. Just amazing. Had a blast on the trip/ship.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Norwegian has special cabins for singles on their newer ships (Epic, Breakaway) Cruising is a very stress free vacation with one rule: Be on the ship before it leaves.

Wife and I have been on 8 and had a great time every time. We've also traveled traditional air/hotel style to Europe, Caribbean and various places in the US and found it works just as well, it's vacation.

The best trip ideas depend entirely on what you wish to do. Personally, I dislike hanging around a hotel pool, even if its really nice so resort only places like Club Med, Sandals don't do it for me.

If you are just looking for a beach to sit on away from civilization there are plenty of those. If you are looking for off site activities, it's hard to beat Hawaii. But I also like the BVI, St Martin, Antigua, and USVI (specifically St John)

I like to ski, so Jackson Hole, Vail, A-Basin in the US and Italy, Switzerland and France in Europe.

If you are looking for a party Key West is hard to beat.

Reaction Score
I say fly to London, take the Chunnel to Paris, train south eventually making it to Provence then east to Milan and Venice then south to Florence and maybe Pisa, Siena, etc. on your way to Rome. Then fly back to London or just fly back to the states from Rome. If you have more time then add Vienna and Prague and/or Budapest. If you have less time then skip London.

Reaction Score
I say fly to London, take the Chunnel to Paris, train south eventually making it to Provence then east to Milan and Venice then south to Florence and maybe Pisa, Siena, etc. on your way to Rome. Then fly back to London or just fly back to the states from Rome. If you have more time then add Vienna and Prague and/or Budapest. If you have less time then skip London.
Wow that sounds pretty much my next European vacation. Adding a side trip to Amsterdam.
But December and February is the cheapest time to visit Europe.
Tour prices are usually for double occupancy but I'm not sure he would pay quite double.

Reaction Score
Wow that sounds pretty much my next European vacation. Adding a side trip to Amsterdam.
But December and February is the cheapest time to visit Europe.
Tour prices are usually for double occupancy but I'm not sure he would pay quite double.

Yeah Amsterdam's great too. And you might as well add Brussels if only for a few hours.

Reaction Score
I have been on multiple cruises and I love them. Whenever the conversation of travel comes up I always suggest that people should try a cruise in their lifetime. Its such a different and unique experience and I dont know of anybody that has been on one and didnt have fun. A lot of people say that they are bad because they try to nickel and dime you but if you take a step back and look at it, cruises are very fairly priced. Back in January I was looking into cruises for this past June. Norwegian was offering a 7 day cruise out of NY to the bahamas and the price with taxes and fees came out to $730 per person. Yes I live in CT so no air fare was needed. That includes your 3 meals a day at a number of different restaurants which is essentially endless comsidering you could order the entire menu in one sitting (all Norwegian ships have 24 hour restaurants as well), your entertainment which is excellent, and obviously your room. What other vacation destination could you get away for 7 days and have it cost under $700 for hotel, entertainment, and food??? The rest of what you spend is directly on you.

Reaction Score
Hearing the Alaska cruise from Vancouver is pretty incredible for those who love the views and nature of that part of the world.............

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hearing the Alaska cruise from Vancouver is pretty incredible for those who love the views and nature of that part of the world.............
I've been to Alaska and think that everyone should see it, for perspective if nothing else. We drove there and back, spending a couple weeks there and a couple weeks each way en route, including Vancouver. I would love to go back and don't foresee having the time for that extensive of a trip, so I've been thinking that's a cruise I would consider. My in-laws did it just recently and raved, as everyone does. For me, the huge advantage for doing a cruise like that is making up the miles while you sleep and do other stuff. There are a lot of miles up there, and not a lot of easy ways to cover them.

Reaction Score
W enjoy cruises now and then. However, we like cruises with lots of beach day ports. We basically drink Corona, play with our kids in the water, eat at the "upgrade restaurants" on the ship and stay away from the buffet crowds.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Don't have a lot to add. Nan and Wonderful are right. Ireland is magnificent...get a rental car and drive. San Francisco/Yosemite great. Others talked about Paris, Italy, etc. I love northern Italy. Puerto Rico and the VI are great. The one thing no one mentioned yet is Yellowstone. It's still the best national park and Jackson, the Tetons, Yellowstone, etc, is a great place to relax. If you really wnant to go somewhere beautiful and exotic, try New Zealand. Great people, scenery, pubs, etc. If you want to relax at a beach type location, take a look at Roatan

Reaction Score
I see a few have knocked a cruise but that's always just a matter of opinion--some like them--some don't. If you find the right cruise--its possibly the smartest route for a single vacationer who hasnt vacationed much.

Why?
A. You can find deals that will make the vacation cheaper in almost any case. Remember most food room activities etc.. are just one price. They do try to get you for more on the ship--but thats up to you to be smart about not spending--bring water and some wine(2bottles is a max)

B. The right cruise will have multiple activities that a single person can get involved in and socialize comfortably. Some cruises assign you to a dinner table and with the right people at your table--you certainly can make new friends and have a great time.

C. You can go and check out a few different spots without being stuck there--like day trip. Ive gone to Bermuda on a cruise and I think I got the same as if I was there for a week--but at a signifcant discount to cost if I just flew there. On the other hand I went on a stop to Jamaica and did not like it and 5 hours later Im not there anymore--but thats the beauty in it--if you don't care for it--you can wait for the next spot and go back and enjoy the boat.

D.Most cases you can cruise without needing to fly--you can drive to Boston NY NJ and even Baltimore for ports. This gives you multiple destinations up and down the coast that will have cruises that reach as far south as you need to get.

E. Food--no need to worry about it it can be up and down but they have an abundance of it and its in your cost. You can get something to eat pretty much anytime. You have access to TV movies etc..

F.Its an easy relaxing vacation. Coming out of boston--you just need to lug your luggage across the street once--maybe even get lucky if you see a porter moving stuff out and jump on for the ride back.

If you do expand--the nicest places I have been to i Iceland(f incredible) and Italy(Im sure others will concur) but these are more advanced and more $$$ but if done right incredible in the own right. However I think from reading your first post--find a nice cruise that suites you--find one that is more towards your age bracket--Im guessing you are over 50? and lastly there are many singles cruises that are not bad if you are looking to meet a lady bets of luck

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see a few have knocked a cruise but that's always just a matter of opinion--some like them--some don't.

B. The right cruise will have multiple activities that a single person can get involved in and socialize comfortably. Some cruises assign you to a dinner table and with the right people at your table--you certainly can make new friends and have a great time.

I did a March (Royal Carib) cruise and found all about cruise lovers. Our 1st dinner we were seated at a table where this guy going on and on about the cruise he was going on the following November. We hadn't even started this cruise. And as it turned out, it wasn't even the guys next cruise. He was doing another in the summer. When we sat down to our final lunch, the lady seated next to my friend asked, "How did you like the cruise, dear?" She said it was fine. The lady bellows, "You mean you don't LOVE it?"

If I ever go again, I'll have to try another cruise line. I keep hearing about "all the activities", but it didn't seem like there was all that much to do besides sit around.

Reaction Score
Avoid that hostel in Eastern Europe where people can pay to torture you and rip your eyeballs out.

Also if you are at a lake, and teenagers keep getting knocked off one by one, it is best to leave.

Or perhaps I'm mixing threads.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I did a March (Royal Carib) cruise and found all about cruise lovers. Our 1st dinner we were seated at a table where this guy going on and on about the cruise he was going on the following November. We hadn't even started this cruise. And as it turned out, it wasn't even the guys next cruise. He was doing another in the summer. When we sat down to our final lunch, the lady seated next to my friend asked, "How did you like the cruise, dear?" She said it was fine. The lady bellows, "You mean you don't LOVE it?"

If I ever go again, I'll have to try another cruise line. I keep hearing about "all the activities", but it didn't seem like there was all that much to do besides sit around.

The type of people you describe are the people I try to avoid on a cruise. They love the buffet, the bingo, the art auction, and the goofy "G"rated shtick. Yes, there are a ton of activites, mostly designed to keep you moving around the ship and in some, but not all cases, entice you to spend a few bucks.

But if you know what you are doing, you can eat well, find some quiet relaxation, a lot of laughs, cocktails with some new friends, do some pretty cool things and see some of more beautiful places on earth all without spending a ton. The message boards on Cruise Critic will give you all the info you could want. But here are a few tips:

• The food quality in the Main Dining Rooms has declined over the years. It's perfectly fine, but other than lobster night, it is usually the same basic fare. Plan on spending a few dinners in the upcharge restaurants. For breakfast and lunch the various free offerings will suffice. Dinner is the make or break experience for most cruisers. If you want to be at a big table with new people or a smaller table with just your group, ask. We've become big fans of the freestyle system with no set table/time.
  • While on the ship there is a time differential (5 min, 10 min, 20 min) where you will be ahead of the masses. Figure out what that is and you should have no problem finding deck chairs, theater seats, dinner reservations.
  • Ask you cabin steward for tips on how to navigate the ship, tip them, and fill out the comment cards if they do a good job. It's their lifeblood and they will be very helpful. (#1 request is How can I get an early tender ticket)
  • Almost every shore trip can be done cheaper on your own or through a private operator at your port. The catch is the ship doesn't not guarantee that it will wait for you if you return late (see rule #1 earlier in this thread). Check the forums for reputable operators.
  • If you are travelling a single, there are such things as singles cruises, NCL has a part of their new ships with a bunch of single cabins. You can also check the Roll Call forums and connect with people travelling on the same sailing date. Many times they will organize a sailaway party so you are guaranteed to know someone about a hour into your cruise.
  • The ships will be crowded at certain times/areas. It's up to you how to best navigate that. It can be done.

Reaction Score
If you're more adventurous and self-reliant, then go to Italy. Except for Rome, it's very clean, safe, there's loads to do and see, and the people are warm and helpful to travelers. The food, wine, and art will blow you away, second to none, anywhere.

You've never been to Naples. Incidentally, I've spent a lot of time in Rome and haven't found it any less safe than any other major city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom