OT: Vacation suggestions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Vacation suggestions

Reaction Score
You've never been to Naples. Incidentally, I've spent a lot of time in Rome and haven't found it any less safe than any other major city.

Naples + Trash hauler strike = lovely atmosphere as well ;)

Ya just need to read up on the Gypsy scams and you'll be fine in Roma.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I post this every year or so. Feel free to stop reading at any point ...

In the past 30 years I have been to Vegas for three days, southern Connecticut twice, and Boston yearly for our annual field trip. Other than that, I haven't been more than 40 miles from my home since graduate school.

I've been planning a vacation for years, and may actually do so during my Christmas or February vacation. I've considered a cruise as a first vacation trip, but I'll be traveling alone, and I'm told I'd have to pay double. My dream vacation is the mediteranian, including, and especially Israel. South America is also on my bucket list, especially if I can do so for less.

Cost is a concern, but I may slurge for the right trip/experience.

I'd appreciate your suggestions, thought, and shared experiences.

Damn you - you made me search and I found my almost perfect cruise....
http://www.princess.com/find/cruise...neraryDetails.do?&ppax=false&noOfPax=2&meta=O

Now I just have to consider purchasing it....

Reaction Score
Single guys love Costa Rica, just love it. There are many reasons, but incredibly good looking Latinas at bargain prices are among them. It is a beautiful place too. If I were a single guy on leisure travel, it would be on my yearly rotation.

Reaction Score
As an edit to the above: I never enjoyed the working girls there, not my style. Prostitution is legal there though, so if you go beware. However, there are plenty of good looking non working girls that enjoy an American man's company as well. San Jose is very cool and safe.

Reaction Score
We believe you........

Thanks CAHUSKY. Glad to clear that up. Lol.

I'm a loyal husband of 10+ years. Lets put it this way, I wouldn't mind being in your shoes. If I follow your life story correctly, you should get your ass to Costa Rica. Single American guys that are under 60 are chick magnets in Costa Rica. Just pretend you are looking for a wife.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I'm a loyal husband of 10+ years. Lets put it this way, I wouldn't mind being in your shoes. If I follow your life story correctly, you should get your ass to Costa Rica. Single American guys that are under 60 are chick magnets in Costa Rica. Just pretend you are looking for a wife.
First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Having spent LOTS of time traveling/living in Africa, Asia, Europe and South America I am familiar w the concept. ;)

Reaction Score
First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging.

Lol. The only whole I'm digging is the one I'll be in if my wife sees this thread. Lets just say that after being married for quite a while, a trip to Costa Rica as a single guy sounds nice.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Lol. The only whole I'm digging is the one I'll be in if my wife sees this thread. Lets just say that after being married for quite a while, a trip to Costa Rica as a single guy sounds nice.
You sir have what we call single envy!:)

Reaction Score
Boise, Idaho is a great and very underrated city.

Derrick Marks put up 35 pts on Creighton last year so he is a nice hoops attraction in Boise. I wouldn't want Temery or is it Temry??? hmmm

Anyway we wouldn't want "T" headed over to Taco Bell Arena in Boise to watch the Broncos this winter. Boise has a hot new Bronco logo and different colored wood inside the 3 point line on their new floor. So don't underestimate Boise as an attractive destination during this years hoops season. Word on the street is the Boise fans are primed to recruit "T" as their Alpha Fan with a special invite to the game against New Mexico.

Please don't go... Please don't go...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Reaction Score
You've never been to Naples. Incidentally, I've spent a lot of time in Rome and haven't found it any less safe than any other major city.

I went to Naples when I was in Fort Meyers.....loved it!!;)

Reaction Score
For a guy in MA who hasn't traveled too much over 30 years and plans a 1 week Dec or Feb holiday, pick a spot in a manageable area, consider limiting the tendency to try to cover too much space, and increase the chances of enjoying yourself. During winter, I suspect you may want to get away from crap weather.

No snow, but weather might be something to consider with Ireland. Otherwise, that's a quick, easy flight from Logan to Shannon or Dublin (well, easy and quickfor someone familiar with much longer flights). Both Israel, which you mention, and Costa Rico, are good options for weather breakaways. Costa Rico has the advantage of diverse territory, topography, etc (Pacific, jungle, hill country), minimal time change / limited jet lag, and Las Ticas.

Happy to respond to questions via PM. During your summer breaks, your teaching background could easily pay for more travel - some teaching, lots of potential international experiences ...

Reaction Score
If you have an iDevice try Skyscanner - it's a great tool for dreaming about the next adventure.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Christmas markets in central and south eastern europe (Vienna, Budapest, Ljubljana, Zagreb) are great, though it is bound to be cold in December or February. Venice is uncrowded in December and you can usually find flights for under $800. Norther Italy in general is fantastic from Milan east to the border.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Derrick Marks put up 35 pts on Creighton last year so he is a nice hoops attraction in Boise. I wouldn't want Temery or is it Temry??? hmmm

Anyway we wouldn't want "T" headed over to Taco Bell Arena in Boise to watch the Broncos this winter. Boise has a hot new Bronco logo and different colored wood inside the 3 point line on their new floor. So don't underestimate Boise as an attractive destination during this years hoops season. Word on the street is the Boise fans are primed to recruit "T" as their Alpha Fan with a special invite to the game against New Mexico.

Please don't go... Please don't go...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I guess to really enjoy Boise you'd have to be someone who grew up in cattle country. It has the conveniences of a city but even along its main roads you'll see long stretches of potato farms and cattle ranches. It's sort of a city for people who don't like cities, if that makes any sense.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

In the past 30 years I have been to Vegas for three days, southern Connecticut twice, and Boston yearly for our annual field trip. Other than that, I haven't been more than 40 miles from my home since graduate school.

I've been planning a vacation for years, and may actually do so during my Christmas or February vacation. I've considered a cruise as a first vacation trip, but I'll be traveling alone, and I'm told I'd have to pay double. My dream vacation is the mediteranian, including, and especially Israel. South America is also on my bucket list, especially if I can do so for less.

My wife and I did Albuquerque/Sante Fe/Taos in October and Portland/Sebago Lake/Camden/Rockport late June and loved both. Both places might not be a good weather fit right now. We split time between Clearwater FL and Truro MA so we are always looking for something different'

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I've been looking for my dream cruise for a while. It would be a 14 day or so Mediterranean cruise that starts in Venice and goes to some ancient Greek and other BC cities, hits Alexandria to see pyramids and sphinx, then up to Sicily, Rome, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Gibraltar and ends in Lisbon. I found it years ago when I couldn't afford it and I haven't been able to find it recently now that I can....

Anybody looking for a cruise should go to this site. Their search capability is pretty good including length, starting port, ports visited, cruise line, month, etc. The discounts can be quite large, especially if you are able to travel on short notice. They source from all of the cruise lines I ever heard of, and then some. There's links to detailed information on every boat listed, including additional fees, activities, meal seating plans, maps of each deck, and pictures of representative rooms in each class.

Looked a lot and finally used them to book 2 cruises: one with Norwegian Cruise Lines & one with Carnival. Everything went smoothly and as advertised. They were proactive with communication, often faster than the cruise line.

You'll need to give them an email address to do a search, but they've never abused the one I gave them.

BTW, it's not just ocean cruises, but river cruises in Europe as well.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Tom,

I don't know what would break the bank for you, but Vacations To Go (see my post just above) lists 10 Mediterranean cruises next January of 11 nights length with a stop in Haifa for less than a grand. Three of them are less than $800 and the boats are all rated at least 4.0 stars, which usually indicates an acceptable level of comfort. They'd be inside rooms, of course (outside start at $950). If you can be flexible in scheduling, significantly cheaper rooms frequently come available as the cruise date approaches. We got our NCL cruise on a nice boat to Hawaii for about 40% of list price, which was 20% cheaper than anything we could find elsewhere because we booked a few weeks before departure.

Do be aware, the "tipping guidelines" for cruising (shown on the detail page for each boat) are a hysterical joke. They are mandatory surcharges, and should really be included in the fares and sometimes come to 15% of the fare depending on the line.

Jack

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Worst book he's ever published.

Agree. He came to Westport and spoke at the library, no one had read it yet. He promised it was better than the DiVinci Code - it was not. Just a pretty mundane story that took too long to develop and was short on character development. I kept waiting for something to happen most of the time.

Should have left it alone (he first wrote it in 1975 - this was a redo)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom