OT- UMass Fires Molnar | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- UMass Fires Molnar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco and Molnar both worked for Brian Kelly, so if Diaco hires Molnar as the OC here then Molnar didn't just carry the title at ND and he indeed ran that offense... just saying. Also, if you guys look at Molnar's work at Central Michigan, Cinn, and ND he wasn't bad at what he did at those three schools. Unfortunately things didn't work out for him as the HC of Umass, but I wouldn't mind him being the OC IF Diaco offered him the job. I just Diaco to get the right staff in. Molnar is a great recruiter so I wouldn't bash him for having a 2-11 season at Umass.
Even if you believe he ran the offense under Kelly, (I personally don't), I want no part of him due mainly to the stupid wrestling videos. Of course Diaco is the boss, and if he hires him I'll have to live with it, but IMO, it would be the first strike against him. I personally want no part of Charlie Molnar at UConn. Ultimately, I have no say just like anyone else on this board, but I'm with Art here, If Molnar, "fell into our lap" as OC, were in trouble.

Reaction Score
The wrestling IMO, isn't a big deal. It's competition. There are better ways to have players compete and improve... obviously. But nothing to be fired over. The "boxing" matches? Moronic. Completely moronic.

The tug of war, I had no problem with.

Reaction Score
Even if you believe he ran the offense under Kelly, (I personally don't), I want no part of him due mainly to the stupid wrestling videos. Of course Diaco is the boss, and if he hires him I'll have to live with it, but IMO, it would be the first strike against him. I personally want no part of Charlie Molnar at UConn. Ultimately, I have no say just like anyone else on this board, but I'm with Art here, If Molnar, "fell into our lap" as OC, were in trouble.

I never stated that I personally believe he ran the offense under Kelly, never! Diaco was involved with Kelly and his staff intimately, so he would know first hand if Molnar ran the offense under Kelly, not you. If Diaco hires Molnar, and that's a big if, then Molnar obviously ran that offense. I don't think Diaco will hire Molnar if he wasn't calling shots at the offensive side of the ball is all I was implying.

Molnar's body of work as a position coach and OC is impressive beside his head coaching stint at UMass, which cannot be dismissed because of a wrestling video. These are grown men playing a physical sport not little girls playing football, so stop getting all emotional over a wrestling video. Whats going on with some men now and days? sheez it seems like men are getting soft

Reaction Score
The wrestling IMO, isn't a big deal. It's competition. There are better ways to have players compete and improve... obviously. But nothing to be fired over. The "boxing" matches? Moronic. Completely moronic.

The tug of war, I had no problem with.

Exactly, that looks like fun to me. I don't see how this is an issue in football a physical dangerous sport.

Reaction Score
Exactly, that looks like fun to me. I don't see how this is an issue in football a physical dangerous sport.

In my opinion all it does is humiliate the loser of the wrestling match. There are some FB players that wrestle and many that don't. You get beat on the field, that's one thing. You get beat in a wrestling match with your teammates, it's a different story.

Not sure how many "big boy" programs do it, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Reaction Score
I never stated that I personally believe he ran the offense under Kelly, never! Diaco was involved with Kelly and his staff intimately, so he would know first hand if Molnar ran the offense under Kelly, not you. If Diaco hires Molnar, and that's a big if, then Molnar obviously ran that offense. I don't think Diaco will hire Molnar if he wasn't calling shots at the offensive side of the ball is all I was implying.

Molnar's body of work as a position coach and OC is impressive beside his head coaching stint at UMass, which cannot be dismissed because of a wrestling video. These are grown men playing a physical sport not little girls playing football, so stop getting all emotional over a wrestling video. Whats going on with some men now and days? sheez it seems like men are getting soft
Only one getting emotional is you judging by the tone of your post. I question his judgement if he one coordinates the event, and two records it. The fact that UMass thought enough of it to initiate an investigation tells me they know a little more about it than you do. That type of interaction doesn't even comradarie. Only thing I could see coming out that is desention and resentment. Again, it played a role in him losing his job, choose to ignore that if you want. It painted UMass in a light they don't want to be seeing in. Is that difficult for you to understand?

Reaction Score
In my opinion all it does is humiliate the loser of the wrestling match. There are some FB players that wrestle and many that don't. You get beat on the field, that's one thing. You get beat in a wrestling match with your teammates, it's a different story.

Not sure how many "big boy" programs do it, but this is the first I've heard of it.
Florida ran a similar drill, but it was more akin to a sumo match than dudes putting other dudes in headlocks. I could see a sumo match type thing for balance and the such, when is a headlock going to be useful in football? The sumo drill at UF, forget what it was called, was where Aaron Hernandez first distinguished himself at UF and they were a part of football lore down there under Meyer.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding about this guy? No way Manuel or Herbst allows a tainted coach to show up on our campus. Forget Molnar. Not happening

Reaction Score
Interesting quote about the next UMass coach on one of the football coaching boards from a guy who seems to be quite well informed:

Ambrose has interviewed for every job he could get in on over the last 4 years, including UMass in 2011 when Molnar was hired. He interviewed for UConn this year and got passed over, and tried like hell to get involved at Bowling Green but he got nothing. The President of the UMass system is the former President at Towson, Bob Caret. Caret has been on the Maryland Eastern Shore for the past week at his vacation home and this deal is already cut. Caret hired Ambrose at Towson and used Carr then just like he is now. Carr has been retained to fulfil the HR elements of the search but this is all for show and this deal will be announced after the FCS title game on Sunday, January 5. Ambrose did not want any of this to leak out before the title game as Towson is off for the holiday until Friday when they start up practice for ND State. This is a total regime change at UMass and the AD will be fired by the end of the academic year as he is not involved in the selection process for the new head coach. ...Damascus

Reaction Score
Interesting quote about the next UMass coach on one of the football coaching boards from a guy who seems to be quite well informed:

Ambrose has interviewed for every job he could get in on over the last 4 years, including UMass in 2011 when Molnar was hired. He interviewed for UConn this year and got passed over, and tried like hell to get involved at Bowling Green but he got nothing. The President of the UMass system is the former President at Towson, Bob Caret. Caret has been on the Maryland Eastern Shore for the past week at his vacation home and this deal is already cut. Caret hired Ambrose at Towson and used Carr then just like he is now. Carr has been retained to fulfil the HR elements of the search but this is all for show and this deal will be announced after the FCS title game on Sunday, January 5. Ambrose did not want any of this to leak out before the title game as Towson is off for the holiday until Friday when they start up practice for ND State. This is a total regime change at UMass and the AD will be fired by the end of the academic year as he is not involved in the selection process for the new head coach. ...Damascus
care to share a link to the board? Interested in UMass fans feelings toward Ambrose.

Reaction Score
care to share a link to the board? Interested in UMass fans feelings toward Ambrose.

It's on Football Scoop. Personally, I think Ambrose would be foolish to jump in now at UMass as conditions are far from those needed to give him a good chance at being successful. However, just maybe he sees this as being his pinnacle year at Towson... so he better move now while his stock is high.

Reaction Score
Ambrose is making what 250K at Towson? Umass will pay about 600k, Molnar just got 800k, to go away. That is a lot of coin, to pass up. Ambrose has benefited from Transfers at Towson, Delaire went there from UMass as one example. His experience at UConn will help him in recruiting the type of athlete that he should be focused on up there. Now I read their entire football staff was making like 8ook, under Molnar. That is next to impossible and will need to be improved.

Reaction Score
Ambrose is making what 250K at Towson? Umass will pay about 600k, Molnar just got 800k, to go away. That is a lot of coin, to pass up .

That's the buyout... His base salary was $250k without inclusion of stipends/bonuses etc. Total was less than $420k last year.

Reaction Score
Now I read their entire football staff was making like 8ook, under Molnar. That is next to impossible and will need to be improved.

Hence, the situation at UMass is not ripe for success. I believe I read where the total pay for Molnar was $419K, with a max bonus of $162K. Who knows what the requirements are to earn that bonus are, but I would think it's not happening for a few years, at least. You bring up a very valid point about the assistants pay being too low Nox....yet the political climate in their state seems like it is about to turn less friendly towards funding the state school's football program, rather than more so. That's one of the main reasons why it seems like it's a far-from-ideal scenario to jump into for Ambrose ...if you're concerned about your long-term success and reputation as a coach that is!

Reaction Score
Hence, the situation at UMass is not ripe for success. I believe I read where the total pay for Molnar was $419K, with a max bonus of $162K. Who knows what the requirements are to earn that bonus are, but I would think it's not happening for a few years, at least. You bring up a very valid point about the assistants pay being too low Nox....yet the political climate in their state seems like it is about to turn less friendly towards funding the state school's football program, rather than more so. That's one of the main reasons why it seems like it's a far-from-ideal scenario to jump into for Ambrose ...if you're concerned about your long-term success and reputation as a coach that is!
I just feel that Ambrose is anxious for that "next move" like Edsall was here. I think he makes a lot of sense for them, it may not make a lot of sense for him, but he and his agent may have a better feel for his FBS chances than we do. I don't get the feeling he is viewed as candidate for too many high profile jobs in the future, and despite his success he has ruffled a few feathers down at Towson reportedly.

Reaction Score
I just feel that Ambrose is anxious for that "next move" like Edsall was here. I think he makes a lot of sense for them, it may not make a lot of sense for him, but he and his agent may have a better feel for his FBS chances than we do. I don't get the feeling he is viewed as candidate for too many high profile jobs in the future, and despite his success he has ruffled a few feathers down at Towson reportedly.
You could well be right. With his personality reportedly being somewhat volatile, he may realize that despite his success at Towson, he's unlikely to be in as favorable a position there over the coming years. Even though it seems like there are too many obstacles to success at UMass, we don't know how many he may have at Towson in the future.

DrG

Reaction Score
Interested in UMass fans feelings toward Ambrose.
It would probably be somewhat favorable. The consensus seems to be that they'd rather have somebody with HC experience, even at the FCS level, than another untested coordinator. Some UMass fans were skeptical about Molnar from the start because he was still a career assistant in his 50's.

Reaction Score
UMass needs to pull the plug on the 1A football experiment. It's not working, costing them millions and isn't even generating the ancillary uptick in applications/student interest and could possibly be hurting the school's attractiveness to prospective students. Time to pull the plug.

Reaction Score
UMass needs to pull the plug on the 1A football experiment. It's not working, costing them millions and isn't even generating the ancillary uptick in applications/student interest and could possibly be hurting the school's attractiveness to prospective students. Time to pull the plug.

Really.....you have access to that information? Because I know for a fact that applications are up 9% at UMass since 2011. That is when they announced the move. I'm not saying that is the only reason, as that is also when the Honor College construction was nearing completion and other things were happening at UMass. But to make that statement you made is foolish if you made it for effect.
The money they just spent on the training faciilty and upgrades to McGuirk ensure that UMass will definitely not drop down to FCS. I'm not completely sold that they will have success, but they are in it for the long haul

Reaction Score
Honest question

Aren't applications at nearly every state school up compared to private schools thanks to this never-ending recession?

Reaction Score
Honest question

Aren't applications at nearly every state school up compared to private schools thanks to this never-ending recession?

Honest answer...and I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, but UMass applications actually held pretty steady for 3 years, 2009-2011. And again, I personally think the Honors College had more to do with the uptick than the football program did, but I think it's universally known that all exposure, be it academic or athletic, brings more interest to a university.

Reaction Score

This wouldn't shock me. When they fired their hockey coach before last season, the hiring process was screwed up beyond epic proportions. Basically, there were FOUR Narduzzi-esque turndown leaks over a period of weeks before someone was hired. The AD absolutely screwed that one up, I can only imagine how bad this process will be.

Reaction Score
Actually if he "rode the wave of an NFL running back" who is leaving then why would he not take the job……..get the $ while you're hot no?
No chance to recruit 1-A transfers, pitiful facilities now and non-competitive once UMESS' new small building is completed, better opportunities now or down the road, AD considered on very shaky ground, deplorable athletic department, weak community, school, and state support, others some other people may raise ... just some possibilities ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom