OT- UMass Fires Molnar | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- UMass Fires Molnar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Living up here in WesMass read some on Molnar and saw some interviews…….seems like a guy Diaco may like, same type of charisma and enthusiasm. Just because he couldn't do what was expected at UAss doesn't make him a bad coach - no shot there when playing your HOME games at Gillette…….

Reaction Score
Living up here in WesMass read some on Molnar and saw some interviews…….seems like a guy Diaco may like, same type of charisma and enthusiasm. Just because he couldn't do what was expected at UAss doesn't make him a bad coach - no shot there when playing your HOME games at Gillette…….

The timing of this makes me think that this dismissal is not because of his record, but more likely due to those wrestling videos we saw a couple months ago. Do we want a guy coming off a Mike Rice like scandal running our offense?

Reaction Score
I want no part of Molnar as OC here. None. Nada. Zilch.

Agree. Timing is suspect: http://www.masslive.com/umassfootba..._fires_football_head_coac.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Daniel_Malone11:36am via Twitter for Mac
Just spoke with John McCutcheon, who said the decision to fire Charley had nothing to do with the 2-22 record. All about program perception.

Daniel_Malone11:57am via Twitter for Mac
McCutcheon and Subbaswamy began reaching out to internal & external sources 3 weeks ago to gauge the perception of team/need for change.

Daniel_Malone11:58am via Twitter for Mac
Decision to fire Molnar was agreed upon late last week/early this week. McCutcheon let him know Thursday morning.

Daniel_Malone12:02pm via Twitter for Mac
McCutcheon: "The bottom line was we didn’t think the perception of the program was where we wanted it to be."

Daniel_Malone12:07pm via Twitter for Mac
The investigation the chancellor announced following the#UMass alumni petition fallout is ongoing and expected to be completed in January.

Daniel_Malone12:10pm via Twitter for Mac
Preliminary findings from the investigation were provided during McCutcheon/Subbaswamy's search, but nothing from it prompted the firing.

Reaction Score
If Brown is looking that seems like a perfect fit. Don Brown represents the glory years of UMASS football. I'd like to see this because it weakens BC.

I'd like to see him get this because it weakens both BC and UMass.

Reaction Score
Firing a coach 1 month after an AD states his job is safe and news reports indicating UMess hired investigators to interview players, alumni, and staff sure suggests the Mess went beyond only winning 2 games in 2 seasons. On top of dumping Molnar and paying him $800K to go away, they also fired his DC and LB/ST coach as well.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
First of all...I agree with the easy on the transfer talk comment.

Second...I know that Casey played a couple good games...but Boyle's circumstances were MUCH different and I think it is foolish to think Casey has the job locked up next year. First...it's a new coaching staff and we don't even know who the OC is. We don't know what style of offense the team will play or what skill set they find valuable in a QB. If they like mobile QBs...is Casey still the right guy?

Second...Boyle cannot be judged yet due to the circumstances that we was playing under. Playing the toughest teams on the schedule the first games after a coaching change is less than ideal circumstances.

I think the QB competition is wide open and I also think any talk of transfers shouldn't be happening.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A video recap of why Molnar was canned.

As if the wrestling isn't enough stupidity, having two kids throwing haymakers at each other with their helmets on as "practice" is just about the dumbest thing I could have ever imagined up. That alone should make Molnar "persona non grata"...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
After watching that video, I can only conclude that Coach Molnar forgot what sport he was hired to coach. As a football team, his kids managed to go 2-22. As a wrestling squad, his kids might have been 22-2.

Reaction Score
This was a move that had to be made, albeit some questionable timing. Molnar was in way over his head with his lack of head coaching experience. Going from a coordinator to head coach of a transitioning team is no easy feat. One of his first moves was to alienate the football alumni and alumni in general. Umass is going to be a tough job for whoever they get. I'm not sold that Whipple or Brown are the answer. Maybe go the FCS ranks and get a young guy that will get the time to try to build something worthwhile. Getting back to Amherst is paramount and very little will be accomplished until that is done.

Reaction Score
As if the wrestling isn't enough stupidity, having two kids throwing haymakers at each other with their helmets on as "practice" is just about the dumbest thing I could have ever imagined up. That alone should make Molnar "persona non grata"...
That whole situation is so stupid, it neither promotes toughness or team building. It is just stupid, and makes me wonder wtf makes this guy tick. At ND, he was OC in tiltle only, as everyone knows Brian Kelley ran the offense and called the plays. Not sure it would be a good sign if Diaco brings this idiot on board.

Reaction Score
Supposedly Ambrose is interested in UMass. Could be a fit.

Reaction Score
Supposedly Ambrose is interested in UMass. Could be a fit.

Ambrose road the wave of a probable NFL running back. It will be interesting to see what he does next year. I think his OL takes a hit as well. He'd be crazy to take a UMass job. Unless of course his cupboard will be bare after this year and it's time to take any offer while he can.

Reaction Score
Many of the Chancellors and Presidents are not very aware of college sports. It is a foreign entity to them. So they rely on people like the AD to place their sports program in context. But there are huge conflicts of interest there because the AD will want to sell his boss on the program's future potential. When it comes to the rest of the university, these presidents and chancellors are much more capable of assessing the value and performance of academic units using metrics they are comfortable with. The advisors on athletics in many case have a conflict of interest.

Reaction Score
Ambrose road the wave of a probable NFL running back. It will be interesting to see what he does next year. I think his OL takes a hit as well. He'd be crazy to take a UMass job. Unless of course his cupboard will be bare after this year and it's time to take any offer while he can.
Ambrose will have the advantage of having been part of a transitioning FCS to FBS project before. UMass doesn't have UConn's resources, nor does it have an AQ conference as it does make the move. I think a key to UMass going forward will be getting their games back on campus. Get that sucker up from 17 to about-24k, utilizing temp seating if need be. No need to playing any games at Gillete except for an occasional marquee game.

DrG

Reaction Score
Three MAC games on campus next season, three at Gillette (BC, Colorado, a MAC opponent).

Reaction Score

Actually if he "rode the wave of an NFL running back" who is leaving then why would he not take the job……..get the $$$$$ while you're hot no?

Reaction Score
If Weist got the job, would that put boyle in jeopardy at UCONN?
Right now, Casey looks like QB1 for the next three years.

Based on their record, I'm assuming their offensive line was marginal at best. However, are there any transfers/recruits (regardless of position) worth targeting.

I think a lot of people are getting way ahead of themselves with our QB situation. I hope Boyle doesn't get caught up in reports of his demise. We could regret it later.

Reaction Score
Actually if he "rode the wave of an NFL running back" who is leaving then why would he not take the job……..get the $ while you're hot no?

Hence my comment ...."Unless of course his cupboard will be bare after this year and it's time to take any offer while he can." ;)

Reaction Score
That whole situation is so stupid, it neither promotes toughness or team building. It is just stupid, and makes me wonder wtf makes this guy tick. At ND, he was OC in tiltle only, as everyone knows Brian Kelley ran the offense and called the plays. Not sure it would be a good sign if Diaco brings this idiot on board.

Diaco and Molnar both worked for Brian Kelly, so if Diaco hires Molnar as the OC here then Molnar didn't just carry the title at ND and he indeed ran that offense... just saying. Also, if you guys look at Molnar's work at Central Michigan, Cinn, and ND he wasn't bad at what he did at those three schools. Unfortunately things didn't work out for him as the HC of Umass, but I wouldn't mind him being the OC IF Diaco offered him the job. I just Diaco to get the right staff in. Molnar is a great recruiter so I wouldn't bash him for having a 2-11 season at Umass.

Reaction Score
Diaco and Molnar both worked for Brian Kelly, so if Diaco hires Molnar as the OC here then Molnar didn't just carry the title at ND and he indeed ran that offense... just saying. Also, if you guys look at Molnar's work at Central Michigan, Cinn, and ND he wasn't bad at what he did at those three schools. Unfortunately things didn't work out for him as the HC of Umass, but I wouldn't mind him being the OC IF Diaco offered him the job. I just Diaco to get the right staff in. Molnar is a great recruiter so I wouldn't bash him for having a 2-11 season at Umass.

If Diaco didn't have his OC in place by today, then we are in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom