OT: The greatest love song of all time | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: The greatest love song of all time

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
An old Elvis song, "Cant Help Falling in Love". However, I like this version and video by Andre Rieu. A concert by him is on my bucket list.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How can this one (Misty) not be on the list...

Thank you Frodo!!! If you had not posted this, I would have. Mathis' rendition (1957) of this song written by Erroll Garner (1954) is my all time favorite song ever. Mathis was 22 years old when he recorded it. I've heard this song a thousand times, and could hear it a thousand more. I've been listening to it for 51 years. I NEVER get tired of hearing this song!!

Others have tried, but no one can sing it like he did. Mathis and "Misty" go hand in hand. When you think one one, you think of the other. Mathis has said many times that Misty is one of the "trilogy" or BIG 3. "Wonderful Wonderful" and "It's not for me to say" being the other two.

He said that when ever he does a show, once he does those 3 songs, he can sing anything else he wants to. The audience wants to hear those 3!!! I've seen Mathis in person over 10 times. Those 3 songs were always part of his show.

Here is Erroll Garner playing Misty:

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is for me and Scoop. A young, shy and vulnerable Johnny. The man who created the "Lost little lonely boy" image that so many, including Sam Smith uses today.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Connecticut's own Gene Pitney.

One of my favorites is Only Love Can Break a Heart.

Pitney, most known for recording " a town without pity", had a very distinctive voice. Like Frankie Lane.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Pitney, most known for recording " a town without pity", had a very distinctive voice. Like Frankie Lane.
I actually saw Pitney do "Town" and "It Hurts To Be In Love". Not Lane, unfortunately. He was never a part of those Murray The K reviews.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is for me and Scoop. A young, shy and vulnerable Johnny. The man who created the "Lost little lonely boy" image that so many, including Sam Smith uses today.

OMG Jordy, where did you find this? I'm a huge Mathis fan, but I've never seen this video before, or heard him sing "It's not for me to say" like that. :eek: I can tell by his mannerisms, and appearance, (and the quality of the video) that this had to be recorded sometime in 1957, at the very beginning of his career. It's scary how much our musical tastes and interests seem to parallel. Thanks again. :cool:

JordyG

Reaction Score
OMG Jordy, where did you find this? I'm a huge Mathis fan, but I've never seen this video before, or heard him sing "It's not for me to say" like that. :eek: I can tell by his mannerisms, and appearance, (and the quality of the video) that this had to be recorded sometime in 1957, at the very beginning of his career. It's scary how much our musical tastes and interests seem to parallel. Thanks again. :cool:
Yeah. Our minds seem to parallel in quite a few ways. Every time I look at this video I'm always captured by his mannerisms, especially before he starts sing and when he accepts the applause after. The last few times I've watched this video I started laughing becausing he looks so lost yet so anxious for the song to begin. It's my favorite performance by him that I've found on youtube.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Here is another one of my favorite crooners from the 50's :D

I saw this guy many times on TV at the time, and he ALWAYS cried during this song. Talk about method singing.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Scoop, I don't know how well you know this fellow. To me he was one of the greatest pop singers of all time who could sing anything: Pop, gospel, R & B, anything. His life was both adventurous and tragic. He defined the word performer, and James Brown stole his onstage act, although James wasn't the athlete that this guy was. Here he is performing a ballad whose melody was taken from Tchaikovsky. The live performance starts halfway through. That final note though.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom