OT: The greatest love song of all time | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: The greatest love song of all time

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop, I don't know how well you know this fellow. To me he was one of the greatest pop singers of all time who could sing anything: Pop, gospel, R & B, anything. His life was both adventurous and tragic. He defined the word performer, and James Brown stole his onstage act, although James wasn't the athlete that this guy was. Here he is performing a ballad whose melody was taken from Tchaikovsky. The live performance starts halfway through. That final note though.....

Yes, I know him well. AKA "Mr Excitement". I began listening to his records in the late 50's. Both of my parents were big fans of his. We had a very limited record collect back then. I listened to them all.........repeatedly. That's how/why I became fond of the sassy one, Sarah Vaughn, Mathis, Billy Ekstine, Nat Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Brook Benton, Dinah Washington and my mom's favorite singer, Patsy Cline. We even had an album by Johnny Horton (North to Alaska)

Jack Leroy "Jackie" Wilson Jr. was an American soul singer and performer. A tenor with a four-octave vocal range, he was nicknamed "Mr. Excitement", and was important in the transition of rhythm and blues into soul. Wikipedia.

Years active 1953–1975
Born: June 9, 1934, Detroit, MI
Died: January 21, 1984, Mount Holly, NJ

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Scoop, I don't know how well you know this fellow. To me he was one of the greatest pop singers of all time who could sing anything: Pop, gospel, R & B, anything. His life was both adventurous and tragic. He defined the word performer, and James Brown stole his onstage act, although James wasn't the athlete that this guy was. Here he is performing a ballad whose melody was taken from Tchaikovsky. The live performance starts halfway through. That final note though.....

I am a big fan of Jackie Wilson. Very talented guy with a huge range and great stage presence. Van Morrison, another of my favorites, did an homage to him titled 'Jackie Wilson Said'. If you don't know it, check it out.

Reaction Score
How about the one that has the most feeling for a person? You can't have parameters on how to rate love songs.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I am a big fan of Jackie Wilson. Very talented guy with a huge range and great stage presence. Van Morrison, another of my favorites, did an homage to him titled 'Jackie Wilson Said'. If you don't know it, check it out.
I just missed seeing Jackie at one of the many Murray The K reviews I saw. Bad news though. I was one of those guys that saw Van 3 times before Domino. "St. Dominic's Preview" was the next to last Morrison album I'd purchased. Then he was a surly guy who seemed to have a antagonistic relationship with his audiences. I don't know how much he's changed since. I'm a big jazz fan now and saw he had a new album in collaboration with Joey DeFrancesco, who is my current fave. I bought the download. It's okay. Joey soars though.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I just missed seeing Jackie at one of the many Murray The K reviews I saw. Bad news though. I was one of those guys that saw Van 3 times before Domino. "St. Dominic's Preview" was the next to last Morrison album I'd purchased. Then he was a surly guy who seemed to have a antagonistic relationship with his audiences. I don't know how much he's changed since. I'm a big jazz fan now and saw he had a new album in collaboration with Joey DeFrancesco, who is my current fave. I bought the download. It's okay. Joey soars though.
I saw Joey and some friends on Studio Jams #6 doing 'Misty'. Good stuff. My musical tastes are quite eclectic, and ever more so as I grow older and stop to listen more. Go Huskies!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I saw Joey and some friends on Studio Jams #6 doing 'Misty'. Good stuff. My musical tastes are quite eclectic, and ever more so as I grow older and stop to listen more. Go Huskies!
Sweet. I'm going to see him June 2nd at the Jazz Standard here in NYC. This Sunday however, it's Sullivan Fortner with Ambrose Akinmusire (!) at the Standard. I ain't greedy.

Reaction Score
This is for me and Scoop. A young, shy and vulnerable Johnny. The man who created the "Lost little lonely boy" image that so many, including Sam Smith uses today.

Great, great song! Mathis' was amazing!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom